Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Astro Nut posted:

The really useful thing with the dual screens is that it allows you to worry less about streamlining the UI. Any of the extras that would clutter up the screen in a normal game? Can be put on the other screen, which also enables players to readily reference stuff like maps or their inventory without having to pause the game continually.

I believe this to be the truth, and by and large, what it is actually used for.

RStar posted:

Then we all bought the system and found out it got old. Fast.

And lets not forget how janky motion controls were before the Wii Motion Plus thing. I could not stand using the Wii because every game had to have a motion attachment to the game, and a lot of the time it worked well poorly. The reason I bought the Wii U was to play the backlog of decent non-motion control Wii games and because this promises to be a much less motion-control focused console.

edit: proofreading

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

NeilPerry posted:

Hey, it sold well. A console's failure/succes isn't based on the opinions of 'gamers'.

Most of the games could be beaten in under 5 hours.

The three Trauma center games were not long games and each could be done within a day. Then you have all the railshooters which were all just a few hours each at most.

This also isn't even accounting that a large portion of the Wii's software was dedicated to kids 5 and under. Like it dwarfed the PS2's offerings for that age group. You could combine the PS2's,PS3's,Xbbox and 360's offerings to that age group and the Wii would still come out ahead by a few dozen games.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

NeilPerry posted:

Hey, it sold well. A console's failure/succes isn't based on the opinions of 'gamers'.

Oooohhhh I can almost feel the sneer you put on 'gamers.'

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Nintendo is really good at making hardware with gimmicks that get old fast. The Wii U tablet, Wii motion controls and 3DS 3D. I dunno about the dual screens for the DS. Was that useful or dumb?

The Gamepad is hardly utilized. Until I see a D&D game where the Dungeon Master uses the Gamepad to set traps and enemies it's underutilized technology. Heck, just give us an RTS game with the Gamepad.

Motion controls were rushed and by the time it was improved in Motion Plus, the industry had already stuck to being uncreative with them. Even then, Remote + Nunchuk is one of my favourite control schemes ever.

3DS 3D is pretty gimmicky but hey, I hear it looks great in the new Zelda.

Dual screens on the DS is genius. loving genius. I know people like to bark about how it's just maps or menus but the less time you spend pausing your game, the more time you spend enjoying your game. I also loving hate screen clutter when it isn't handled correctly (Metroid Prime does it right. Go look at Titanfall. That's ugly clutter) and dual screen helps alleviate a lot of screen clutter.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Dual screens on the DS is genius. loving genius. I know people like to bark about how it's just maps or menus but the less time you spend pausing your game, the more time you spend enjoying your game. I also loving hate screen clutter when it isn't handled correctly (Metroid Prime does it right. Go look at Titanfall. That's ugly clutter) and dual screen helps alleviate a lot of screen clutter.

What I don't understand is why they've not increased the level of touch screen technology for the 3DS. I would have really preferred a PSvita style screen for a lower screen, but with a stylus for some games. It seems like it'd allow for a wider range of utilisations.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

NeilPerry posted:

What I don't understand is why they've not increased the level of touch screen technology for the 3DS. I would have really preferred a PSvita style screen for a lower screen, but with a stylus for some games. It seems like it'd allow for a wider range of utilisations.

It's certainly paying off for the PS Vita

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If anybody actually knew what made the Wii super successful, Nintendo would have hired that person and avoided the troubles of this Wii U business.

Or it was a fluke. Pick your poison.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

NeilPerry posted:

What feature of the PSVita Touch Screen do you want on it? If I'm not mistaken, Touch Screens that allow for finger interaction are different (possibly mutually exclusive?) screen types entirely from stylus interactive screens. I, by no means, am an expert.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Dual screens on the DS is genius. loving genius. I know people like to bark about how it's just maps or menus but the less time you spend pausing your game, the more time you spend enjoying your game.

This cannot be emphasized enough -- it really is an innovation that seems like it doesn't do much but the end result is definitely an improvement.

Also, I really enjoy 3D and am in the minority of people who use it often. I will not stand for claims that it is gimmicky it is :colbert:

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Nintendo basically introduced touchscreen and motion control gaming to the masses, which are in like every iPhone game now. Yoshi Touch and Go is the prototype iPhone game. I'm sure others have experimented with it before, I'm looking at you, Tapwave Zodiac, but the DS and Wii were the first instances I can recall where that stuff actually caught on.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 12, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I would much rather have had a single larger, higher resolution screen than the DS dual screens. Same with the touchscreen, I don't think that added a whole lot either. Switching my focus to another screen to switch inventory items or whatever is similar to pausing in my eyes. Some games were definitely better for it but I don't think the system was as a whole.

The PSP was pretty lovely when I used it but its display was beautiful, I would much rather have had something like that from Nintendo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 12, 2013

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Huge successes are usually no more complex than right place right time. Wii, Ps2, NES, Xbox live (initially), they basically boil down to they were the right offering at the right time.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Jeffrey posted:

I would much rather have had a single larger, higher resolution screen than the DS dual screens. Same with the touchscreen, I don't think that added a whole lot either. Switching my focus to another screen to switch inventory items or whatever is similar to pausing in my eyes. Some games were definitely better for it but I don't think the system was as a whole.

That's fine and all, you are entitled to your opinion, but you are definitly in the minority here. The Nintendo DS is the best selling video game system Nintendo ever released and the 3DS is up over 30 million sold. Releasing a hand held without two screens at this point would be a TERRIBLE idea for Nintendo, because it would not be backwards compatible, and there'd just be one less reason to buy the system.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

^^ the 2DS doesn't have two screens, check and mate :smug:

hubris.height posted:

If I'm not mistaken, Touch Screens that allow for finger interaction are different (possibly mutually exclusive?) screen types entirely from stylus interactive screens. I, by no means, am an expert.

Yes, it's capacitive vs resistive touch screens. The Vita (along with virtually every other consumer-targeted touchscreen device made in the last few years) uses capacitive. Resistive is (in theory) a little cheaper, less sensitive, more fragile, more accurate.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

hubris.height posted:

What feature of the PSVita Touch Screen do you want on it? If I'm not mistaken, Touch Screens that allow for finger interaction are different (possibly mutually exclusive?) screen types entirely from stylus interactive screens. I, by no means, am an expert.

The PSVita is a capacitive touch screen much like smartphones which allows for multi touch and gesturing. It works alright on the Vita to provide extra buttons or functions but it is a very inaccurate method to offer touch controls. You're pretty much resigned to using large buttons or gestures as you can't maintain the level of accuracy you have on the DS. They also require a much larger stylus in comparison to what is used on the DS.

The DS/3DS/Wii U is a resistive touch screen which only allows for 1 point interaction at a time on the screen. While it only allows 1 point it is much more accurate than capacitive and allows for a stylus with a very small tip to enable users the ability to do things like write, draw or navigate a much smaller UI which is necessary on the DS/3DS at least due to the lower resolution and size of the screen.

Personally I think the touch screen is a great fit for DS/3DS however it's kind of obnoxious on the Wii U. Without that kind of touch screen you wouldn't have great games like in the past such as Brain Age, Meteos or Kirby Canvas Curse as your finger would get in the way or increased frustration due to the inaccuracy with a capacitive touch screen.

Yes, capacitive touch screens work but take a moment to try and draw some art like you see on Miiverse and then offer your criticism.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Zack_Gochuck posted:

That's fine and all, you are entitled to your opinion, but you are definitly in the minority here. The Nintendo DS is the best selling video game system Nintendo ever released and the 3DS is up over 30 million sold. Releasing a hand held without two screens at this point would be a TERRIBLE idea for Nintendo, because it would not be backwards compatible, and there'd just be one less reason to buy the system.

A forgotten point whenever people discuss success in the game industry is that the Nintendo DS sold only a little more than one million less handhelds than the Playstation 2. 155 to 153.96.

It never feels like the kind of monumental success that the PS2 was, but it was.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

A forgotten point whenever people discuss success in the game industry is that the Nintendo DS sold only a little more than one million less handhelds than the Playstation 2. 155 to 153.96.

It never feels like the kind of monumental success that the PS2 was, but it was.

I feel like that's because you used to see the PS2 in everyone's living room, and people would talk about it and stuff. DS was the system that everyone had but no one talked about. I was dating a girl and didn't realize she had a DS until we were going out for like a month.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Edmund Honda posted:

^^ the 2DS doesn't have two screens, check and mate :smug:
What? I'm fairly sure this is wrong, or is this some joke I'm not getting? For reference, here is a picture of a 2DS (from Wikipedia):

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PrBacterio posted:

What? I'm fairly sure this is wrong, or is this some joke I'm not getting? For reference, here is a picture of a 2DS (from Wikipedia):

Its actually one screen with dividers placed over it to give it the illusion of being two separate screens. Saves money.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Barudak posted:

Its actually one screen with dividers placed over it to give it the illusion of being two separate screens. Saves money.

Oh, I see :eng99: So is the bottom screen still a touchscreen, though?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

NeilPerry posted:

Well, the Wii U sucks because it isn't selling, but the Wii sucks even though it sold like crazy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PrBacterio posted:

Oh, I see :eng99: So is the bottom screen still a touchscreen, though?

Yes it still has the bottom touchscreen. All it really lost was some portability, battery life, and the absolutely useless 3D function.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Barudak posted:

Yes it still has the bottom touchscreen. All it really lost was some portability, battery life, and the absolutely useless 3D function.

Also stereo sound

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Barudak posted:

I'm going to say it again: I still don't get the negativity around the 3D feature of the 3DS. It's incredible that they pulled it off on a small handheld and I love looking at it every time, I can't imagine turning it off permanently, it just amazes me too much. Or am I just a particularly non-seasickness prone guy?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Barudak posted:

The battery last at least as long as the standard 3ds.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Shibawanko posted:

I'm going to say it again: I still don't get the negativity around the 3D feature of the 3DS. It's incredible that they pulled it off on a small handheld and I love looking at it every time, I can't imagine turning it off permanently, it just amazes me too much. Or am I just a particularly non-seasickness prone guy?

It often has bad ghosting (OoT is a prime example) that makes it more frustrating/distracting than it's worth. AC looks good in 3D, though.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I think the battery is actually better by two hours. I think Barudak was just trying to list features.

I would seriously get a 2DS if it wasn't for the fact I really want Link Between Worlds and it's almost necessary to have 3D for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Like the gamepad it adds nothing to a game in exchange for lower framerates, limited viewing angles, and faster battery drain. That's ignoring that many games suffer from awful ghosting when its being used. Its just a total non-feature and it obviously is because its completely optional.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Yeah, this was in comparison to the 3DSXL model because if you buy the non XL model in the clamshell design you deserve what you get.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I would seriously get a 2DS if it wasn't for the fact I really want Link Between Worlds and it's almost necessary to have 3D for it.

I've beaten the entire game without using 3D. I have no idea what you're talking about. :confused:

The 3D mode has always been a novelty to me. I usually flick it on now and then to see how things look different if at all.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

3D is not at all necesary for LBW.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Mattavist posted:

3D is not at all necesary for LBW.

Or any 3DS game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The 3D in LBW is probably one of the best uses of it on the system though. It doesn't strain the eyes too much, it's kind of subtle, and every once in the while like when jumping off a ledge you get that sudden pop up 3D effect which is kind of neat.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

flyboi posted:

Personally I think the touch screen is a great fit for DS/3DS however it's kind of obnoxious on the Wii U. Without that kind of touch screen you wouldn't have great games like in the past such as Brain Age, Meteos or Kirby Canvas Curse as your finger would get in the way or increased frustration due to the inaccuracy with a capacitive touch screen.

Yes, capacitive touch screens work but take a moment to try and draw some art like you see on Miiverse and then offer your criticism.

I disagree with your sentiments on the Wii U touch screen, specifically because of the Miiverse art I've seen. Some of it is outrageously good and justifies an add on that I rarely use. For what its worth, the gamepad is really comfortable to use, though I rarely use it unless someone is gonna watch TV. I will say I was really frustrated with the Mario 3D level that required the use of the touch controls of the pad while simultaneously playing the game -- that was unbelievably unwieldy and poorly executed.

Oh, and the Wii U Gamepad Pro? What the hell Nintendo? You already had a perfectly laid out Classic Control how the hell do you mess up your new pro controller?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Disargeria posted:

I've beaten the entire game without using 3D. I have no idea what you're talking about. :confused:

I've heard reviews that say it just doesn't look the same at all. Like worse than playing a PS3 game on a Vita. Maybe that was just exaggeration. Hmmm.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I've heard reviews that say it just doesn't look the same at all. Like worse than playing a PS3 game on a Vita. Maybe that was just exaggeration. Hmmm.

Its almost basically LTTP. Its only a few steps difference between pixel sprites and LBW. You spend most of the game from the same above angle. I don't see how that comparison could work at all because its not like you're going from different resolutions or anything.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

flyboi posted:

There's a shitload of art (or at least 'art') made with the iPad and other similar capacitive devices, I don't know where this belief that capacitive isn't accurate enough or right for creative usage comes from.

Nintendo chose resistive because it's cheaper. That's all there is to it.

hubris.height posted:

I disagree with your sentiments on the Wii U touch screen, specifically because of the Miiverse art I've seen. Some of it is outrageously good and justifies an add on that I rarely use.

That's your justification for the GamePad's entire existence? I'm not sure I follow.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Edmund Honda posted:

There's a shitload of art (or at least 'art') made with the iPad and other similar capacitive devices, I don't know where this belief that capacitive isn't accurate enough or right for creative usage comes from.

Usually art on the iPad/iPhone is large water color style paintings, which allows for more inaccuracies. The only way to get pin point accuracy on the iDevices is if the app has a "zoom" functionality. You could legitimately to pixel art on the Wii U pad. Not really easily with an iDevice without heavily zooming in to compensate for the inaccuracy.

This isn't meant to be seen as a defense of the Wii U btw.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 12, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Interesting. I found when comparing it that the quality was almost the same aside from being in 3D. In most games when you switch to 3D there's a noticeable DROP in framerate and resolution (Pokemon for example) but LBW was designed around looking good in 3D.

There's a couple spots where I think the 3D would help with some platforming, and it's being shown off everywhere (a lot of vertical areas even if Link's moving in a 2D plane. Deep pits and such), but it's not anywhere near mandatory.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Edmund Honda posted:

That's your justification for the GamePad's entire existence? I'm not sure I follow.

That's basically the jist of it -- I've spent a lot of time just browsing through the Miiverse posts looking at cool art. I think if it wasn't included with the console, then there might not be that aspect at all, much like the Ubisoft Draw Pad, it probably would've died. I'm sure it adds relatively little to the actual price that consumers pay for the finished product, perhaps it may have cut into hardware budget.

I enjoy using the stylus but I can see why multi-touch would be better for games on the Gamepad.

Edit: I had read somewhere that LBW runs better in 3D than most games because they had aimed for 60fps instead of 30fps.

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 12, 2013

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Who are you kidding? We don't need pinpoint accuracy for a tablet used for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Boiled Water posted:

Who are you kidding? We don't need pinpoint accuracy for a tablet used for games.

Especially considering the Wii U gamepad is very insensitive to finger presses and swipes - it's main functionality (aiding games) is suffering because they went for cheaper resistive touch.

• Locked thread