Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Tomarse posted:

has anybody used SIP stuff or dealt with them or have any other suggestions? I'm in the UK and this is only for light home workshop use. I don't really want to risk a cheap ebay Chinese noname one. I want one that does HF start and just DC (since I can't afford an AC one)

I bought a large sip compressor with a 12hp honda engine on it. They cocked delivery up on it so I negotiated a few of sip air tools to be included, I've used them a bit and found them to be pretty reasonable. The compressor so far has only had one issue which it went back for which was it blew out a bolt into the cylinder on the pressure side. They just returned it having drilled and tapped to a larger thread.

I forget the name of the DC tig I have but I think it's fairly cheap, I bought it on reccomendation from my local welding place (circa £700) I can't really complain though as it has done everything I've asked of it and never faulted. I've also used it a reasonable amount for some heavy arc welding and it has not given fault yet.

I'd now dearly love an AC unit though as I've got a few things that keep popping up where it'd be useful. I like the look of the Kemppi stuff but it's spendy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

You found a hanging unit with makeup air? I've not seen that before.

Sterling, modine, reznor all make concentric/separated combustion heaters. Some have to be converted, others just need the venting adapter. My Sterling (Dayton) just needed the adapter, which is a box on the wall that accepts two tubes (intake and exhaust) and converts them to a single thru wall concentric vent.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

grover posted:

What's the difference between that, and, say, setting a cheap box fan in a window? Obviously wouldn't work well for a paint booth, but with the garage doors open, wouldn't the fan work OK?

Primarily it'd be a semi portable way to direct the air and get air flow through a space. In the case of my garage I've got small windows since it's mostly underground so a box fan in the window isn't really an option.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mat_Drinks posted:

Primarily it'd be a semi portable way to direct the air and get air flow through a space. In the case of my garage I've got small windows since it's mostly underground so a box fan in the window isn't really an option.

When my brother and I epoxied the floor in our mother's garage we put the door halfway up, taped plastic up to block anything from blowing in and then we cut a few holes and taped 4 box fans blowing outward. This sort of worked and since you have a single width garage you might be able to rig something up that's more efficient.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Little late posting this, but a good :siren: one for UK guys - Halfords have their 150 piece Pro socket set down from £200 to £80 until midnight tonight, which is astounding value for money. If you don't already own pretty much the full kit, you really want to be buying this.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...eature3-_-dotd9

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Great! Thanks for that link - I was thinking of picking up that set anyway.

If I reserve and collect it tomorrow, will I end up paying full price, or the current offer price? I just ordered it online. You can bundle a 25 piece combination spanner set for an additional £10 off. Which is nice, because you can never have too many of the same tool.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 9, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you reserve it tonight, it should be that price. Print your reservation note and take it with you to be sure?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Great timing on my edit there! Thanks anyway. I was worried that they might try to weasel out of the lower price. I've paid for it now, so the deal is done!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Definitely sign up for emails from Halfords and Euro Car Parts, they do have some really good deals sometimes. Machine Mart, too, for random VAT-free promotions.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Back to talking about impact wrenches - specifically this one:
DEWALT DC820KA 1/2" (13mm) 18V Cordless XRP Impact Wrench Kit

I've always used hand tools on my jeep, and I'm thinking of getting this one to take with me off roading. Is an impact wrench appropriate for most any fastener? Will I break bolts left and right if I try using this thing on shocks, control arms, skid plate bolts, etc.? Can I use it on everything or would I need to stay away from smaller bolts? I don't see this saying anything about setting torque values, are these usually adjustable or do they always slam away with the full torque?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

Back to talking about impact wrenches - specifically this one:
DEWALT DC820KA 1/2" (13mm) 18V Cordless XRP Impact Wrench Kit

I've always used hand tools on my jeep, and I'm thinking of getting this one to take with me off roading. Is an impact wrench appropriate for most any fastener? Will I break bolts left and right if I try using this thing on shocks, control arms, skid plate bolts, etc.? Can I use it on everything or would I need to stay away from smaller bolts? I don't see this saying anything about setting torque values, are these usually adjustable or do they always slam away with the full torque?

I have read a lot of good things about the 3/8's version, and then you wouldn't have as much of a worry about breaking certain bolts. and I have also seen them bust wheel lugs loose so it should work for about everything.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
So if people weld off Jeep batteries for field repairs, how hard is it to run a corded impact gun the same way?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

So if people weld off Jeep batteries for field repairs, how hard is it to run a corded impact gun the same way?

You'd need a hell of an inverter to handle the startup inrush of a corded impact. They're like 7 to 10 amps nominal.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

You'd need a hell of an inverter to handle the startup inrush of a corded impact. They're like 7 to 10 amps nominal.

What he said though these are all solid state and can deal with inrush better than others. I wonder if the spec'd current on them is locked rotor amperage. Either way you're talking a 1000+W inverter for something you'll rarely use.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Once you're fitting something to the truck to run a tool, surely you'd just go with on-board air?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I have this 12v impact and am happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-8413...impact+kawasaki It will take off wheels quicker than by hand, but I wouldn't try it on anything else.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Once you're fitting something to the truck to run a tool, surely you'd just go with on-board air?

To this end I've seen a really cool setup where a guy had a large gauge external rollcage that actually acted as the reservoir for the compressor. I suppose that's all fine and good until you bust a section of it.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Rhyno posted:

When my brother and I epoxied the floor in our mother's garage we put the door halfway up, taped plastic up to block anything from blowing in and then we cut a few holes and taped 4 box fans blowing outward. This sort of worked and since you have a single width garage you might be able to rig something up that's more efficient.

Yeah, the problem is being able to limit how much cold air comes in, box fans are so big they make it tough.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mat_Drinks posted:

Yeah, the problem is being able to limit how much cold air comes in, box fans are so big they make it tough.

Oh come on, they have like 3 settings!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Well I finally got a look at the £100 cabinet/chest combo I was thinking of getting, and it's ludicrously tiny, like 1ft by 2ft by 2ft. So I've doubled my budget and am looking at getting a half-decent 5 or 7 drawer cabinet, any recommendations for under £200?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Halfords currently have a deal on a cabinet and chest combo for £199.99. I just picked one up as a second box. The quality is fine for what most people will need.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_209113_langId_-1_categoryId_255214

Scroll down a bit to see the bundle

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

Well I finally got a look at the £100 cabinet/chest combo I was thinking of getting, and it's ludicrously tiny, like 1ft by 2ft by 2ft. So I've doubled my budget and am looking at getting a half-decent 5 or 7 drawer cabinet, any recommendations for under £200?

I want a cabinet too! On ebay there are 'Hilka' ones which are a sensible price. Has any seen one of these in the metal? Are they poo poo or OK?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Halfords currently have a deal on a cabinet and chest combo for £199.99. I just picked one up as a second box. The quality is fine for what most people will need.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_209113_langId_-1_categoryId_255214

Scroll down a bit to see the bundle

We'll that's exactly what I'm after, thanks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Just picked that halfords deal up, they won't honour the internet price if you ask in store but you can reserve online (stood in front of the counter) and get the internet price then. I'll review once I tidy up the hell that my wife turned the living room into while I was out for an hour.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Just picked that halfords deal up, they won't honour the internet price if you ask in store but you can reserve online (stood in front of the counter) and get the internet price then. I'll review once I tidy up the hell that my wife turned the living room into while I was out for an hour.

I reserved online and then drove straight to the store and picked it up. :) Hope you like it. I've now expanded half of my tools into this box and have plenty of room left. I guess I need more tools, then.

Pro tip: Buy a can of label remover and give the sticky labels a spray. 15 minutes later, they'll pretty much fall off on their own. Otherwise, you're in for a nightmare of label-scraping.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wd40 works for that right?

Hell is tidied up but I'm drunk now, so obviously this is the best time to start...

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Yeah WD40 works, but 'label remover' (the stuff that smells like oranges) is better. It's cheap as hell from CPC and I usually pick up a can whenever I'm buying consumables from them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPC? Are you a Yorkshire lad?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Cakefool posted:

CPC? Are you a Yorkshire lad?

I used to be! CPC is nationwide, though. Not sure what the relationship is with Yorkshire, they're based in Lancashire :)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'd got it into my head they were yorks only, no idea why.

Review time, halfords professional 5 drawer cabinet and 7 drawer chest, £250 & £150, combo price £200.

Good first impressions, 80-odd kilos, rigid and sturdy. I had to roll the cabinet over to attach the casters and there were no torturous noises or twisting. Casters are good, serviceable, real bearings, solid PP wheels. There's reinforcement in the base where the casters attach as well.The handle can be attached either side with large sheet metal screws again pretty sturdy.

The drawers are reasonably rigid with a fairly stiff detent to stop them rolling open by themselves. All came with a thin foam liner, plus a thick foam pad for the top of the cabinet. and yes, those stickers are loving horrendous. The lid of the chest is a little flimsy but not terribly so.

Overall you'll struggle to get better for the money, I was going to spend £200 on just a cabinet so I'm very pleased to get both for the same money. I'm confident this will last me years as it won't get dragged around that much. Thanks for the heads up on that offer.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
What is a good way to organize wrenches in your toolbox? I have the things for sockets and my ratchets all fit in one drawer. But my wrenches are all over there drawer and I want something smaller to keep them organized. I have used a long twist tie, but they always break with repeated use. Does anyone have an easy way to organize wrenches in there toolbox?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0041SOTIG/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_w9CRsb1PN94DE

Spanner rack, $5-10

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I have seen those and they wouldn't fit in my drawer I use. I guess this means its time for a bigger toolbox. Harbor Freight here I come.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
I don't like wrench racks because they never fit anywhere, but wrench rolls fit drat near everywhere.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
free wrench rack type organizer from scrap electrical wire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3fn_ldoSL4

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Thanks for doing that review - I was plannig to do one so you savd me the trouble

I buy from cpc.co.uk. Such a good place for electronics and consumable items. Their storage compartment boxes are dirt cheap as well. :)

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Molten Llama posted:

I don't like wrench racks because they never fit anywhere, but wrench rolls fit drat near everywhere.

I had completely forgotten of there existence. I went to school with a guy who carried around wrench sets in one of these. This will definitely fit the small drawer I use and keep it all organized.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Are corded electric impact wrenches good enough to mostly negate the need for air tools? I'm never planning to paint in my garage, and a decent oiled air compressor suitable for running impact wrenches sure ain't cheap. I'm just looking for something to break bolts loose before I go straight to the breaker bar.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
The problem I am having with tool organizers is the lack of enough pockets/slots/spaces. I got two very thorough sets of combination wrenches (metric and english) which combine to make a 64 piece set. They both have a carry case but it takes up the largest drawers in my new toolbox which I could use for other things that can't fit anywhere else. I have yet to see an organizer/organizer set fit that many wrenches. I might have to use that neat coiled wire trick to get the job done, though it doesn't make the set easy to carry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011
Picked up this box from Harbor Freight thanks to this thread.

E: Stupid phone posting

Argenteus fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 16, 2013