Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
That sounds a lot more accurate. I remember being confused as hell when I initially watched it live (my dad bought the PPV as a Christmas gift for my brother and I :saddowns:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember watching it in scramblevision and being confused.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Dusty even says (in regard to Piper) "He's the new World Champion!....or is he?...." and then there's the half-assed celebration with Piper picking up his kid near the entrance, and then it's just Hogan spitting into the camera and posing to close out the PPV.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I wish someone would do an OSWReview/AEPodcast type treatment of this ea of wcw

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

EugeneJ posted:

Was there a cage match in WCW pre-1994 with a jungle motif?

I swear before I got into wrestling, I remember some wrestler (Sting?) swinging from a fake vine that was suspended from the top of a steel cage. It must have been during a tv commercial.

It's the thunderdome cage match i posted about like 5 posts before yours. It's on the flair/slaughter wrestling round table dvd. And best of Halloween havoc VHS from 15 years ago. Part of the fake jungle poo poo gets set on fire so Muta green mists is to put it out

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The funny thing was that it wasn't event the first time that happened to Piper at Starrcade.

Just watched the Piper vs. Valentine Dog Collar match since I got the WWE Piper DVD set as a Secret Santa gift.

The commentators were pushing it as a title match and called Piper the new champ when he won, only to hastily correct themselves seconds later and announce that it was actually a non title match.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Tokelau All Star posted:

Fool me once . . . etc. Our dad even called us a couple of dummies for wasting our money.

Your father was a time traveling smark?

Seriously, being called dummies insinuates that the person knew ahead of time that the PPV was likely to suck, which further insinuates the speaker knows something about wrestling, and the IWC was still pretty new and fresh. 98 percent of fans, at LEAST, probably thought it was going to be a great event which would finally drive a stake into the heart of the NWO. Only the Scott Keiths probably looked at WCW's history at the time and went 'They're gonna gently caress this up': these days we have the benefits of years of hindsight bias, after all.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Maybe the dad just thought wrestling was a waste of money :shobon:

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Your father was a time traveling smark?

Seriously, being called dummies insinuates that the person knew ahead of time that the PPV was likely to suck, which further insinuates the speaker knows something about wrestling, and the IWC was still pretty new and fresh. 98 percent of fans, at LEAST, probably thought it was going to be a great event which would finally drive a stake into the heart of the NWO. Only the Scott Keiths probably looked at WCW's history at the time and went 'They're gonna gently caress this up': these days we have the benefits of years of hindsight bias, after all.

Or maybe he just remembered that it was poo poo in 96 and guessed it would be poo poo in 97 too.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
The only WCW Pay Per View I bought live was Uncensored 2000. Terrible terrible show. My friend and I were 15, and even watching at home you could tell that the arena wasn't even half full.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

The only WCW Pay Per View I bought live was Uncensored 2000. Terrible terrible show. My friend and I were 15, and even watching at home you could tell that the arena wasn't even half full.

Holy poo poo, look at these numbers:

Uncensored 1999 Attendance: 15,930
Uncensored 2000 Attendance: 5,000 (American Airlines Arena in Miami, which holds a lot more than that)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Die anyone else remember an angle where Disco Inferno got an eating disorder?

He had a cruiserweight title shot but found out he was two pounds over the weight limit, so the next hour featured vignettes of him refusing food and working himself too hard on a treadmill. He makes the weight just in time after other wrestlers warm him what he's doing is dangerous, and during the match passes it from exhaustion.

And that's it. The beginning, middle, and end of the story arc in maybe 1.5 hours of television, and he never again competed in cruiser weight.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I love WCW's poorly-handled cautionary tales (I'm thinking The Giant and his smoking habit, and Hall coming to the ring drunk).

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

flashy_mcflash posted:

...and Hall coming to the ring drunk.

To be fair, I don't think that was a WCW thing only :rimshot:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

greatn posted:

Die anyone else remember an angle where Disco Inferno got an eating disorder?

He had a cruiserweight title shot but found out he was two pounds over the weight limit, so the next hour featured vignettes of him refusing food and working himself too hard on a treadmill. He makes the weight just in time after other wrestlers warm him what he's doing is dangerous, and during the match passes it from exhaustion.

And that's it. The beginning, middle, and end of the story arc in maybe 1.5 hours of television, and he never again competed in cruiser weight.

Yep. The WWF actually improved on it by having Christian sweat out the extra weight by wearing Kurt Angle's chicken suit. (This was the only times they gave the cruiserweight/light-heavyweight division a relevant angle, by the way.)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

I love WCW's poorly-handled cautionary tales (I'm thinking The Giant and his smoking habit, and Hall coming to the ring drunk).

I always wondered if Hall coming to the ring drunk caused some kind of potential insurance nightmare for WCW. Or does he count as an "independent contractor"? Still, if he had ever seriously hurt himself or someone else that would've been a fiasco.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Red posted:

Yep. The WWF actually improved on it by having Christian sweat out the extra weight by wearing Kurt Angle's chicken suit. (This was the only times they gave the cruiserweight/light-heavyweight division a relevant angle, by the way.)

There was a similar angle with Matt Hardy training with Shannon Moore to lose weight for the CW division through banana juice and herbal tea, or as they constantly referred to it "BJs and tea bagging."

Oh post Attitude Era, you were just the worst for juvenile humour.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I need to know why.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Sir Jebus posted:

Or maybe he just remembered that it was poo poo in 96 and guessed it would be poo poo in 97 too.

"It always ends with someone running in."

-My dad

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

MassRafTer posted:

I need to know why.

I honestly don't know. I was a pretty big WCW mark. It was probably just the first time my parents said yes to me getting one.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

"It always ends with someone running in."

-My dad

That honestly describes 95% of the WWF PPVs I watched during high school. Hey, who needs a genuine conclusion to the main event anyways?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I have always felt, for whatever reason, that WWF run ins felt a lot less cheap and more engaging than WCW ones. I think most of that is probably down to JR selling his surprise. He always sounded so indignant.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

I have always felt, for whatever reason, that WWF run ins felt a lot less cheap and more engaging than WCW ones. I think most of that is probably down to JR selling his surprise. He always sounded so indignant.

I want to say WWF screwjob finishes at least fit into storylines. Austin counting his own pin against Dude Love worked (while the announcer stated it was a DQ finish), because it meant that Austin had survived McMahon's best attempt to cheat him. 30 people in nWo t-shirts rushing the ring as Tony yelled "We're outta time!" meant that they couldn't come up with something better than the same finish they'd done every night for the last 6 months.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

At this point in our WCW viewing, nWo has already collapsed into Hogan's Ego, nothing will be satisfying until Hogan eats a clean pin.

Oh.

Ohhhhhhhhhh.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Red posted:

I want to say WWF screwjob finishes at least fit into storylines. Austin counting his own pin against Dude Love worked (while the announcer stated it was a DQ finish), because it meant that Austin had survived McMahon's best attempt to cheat him. 30 people in nWo t-shirts rushing the ring as Tony yelled "We're outta time!" meant that they couldn't come up with something better than the same finish they'd done every night for the last 6 months.
I can't remember exactly when, but at one point it pissed me off so much that I just stopped watching WCW, and from then on, I pretty much only watched the midcard. The nWo angles did a great job of getting me hot at them, until I got "change the channel every time there was a run-in" hot. They did the same goddamn thing with the No Limit Soldiers angle, too.

Am I correct in assuming that Aces&Eights is the exact same poo poo?

Edit: VVV I hated Austin, because he was the favourite of everybody in my high school who used 90% of their brainpower to figure out how to hide their snuff from the shop class teacher. But I was a huge mark for Taker & Mankind, and I flipped back to WCW for Jericho and the pre-Radicalz.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 12, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't remember exactly when, but at one point it pissed me off so much that I just stopped watching WCW, and from then on, I pretty much only watched the midcard.

I feel like a lot of us turned to the WWF for good once either Austin was on top or the Fingerpoke of Doom, but we all changed the channel back for Monday Night Jericho.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

haljordan posted:

Holy poo poo, look at these numbers:

Uncensored 1999 Attendance: 15,930
Uncensored 2000 Attendance: 5,000 (American Airlines Arena in Miami, which holds a lot more than that)

According to Wikipedia, the triple-A seats as many as 19,600 people for basketball, probably more for wrasslin'. So it looks like it was about a quarter full.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Memento posted:

According to Wikipedia, the triple-A seats as many as 19,600 people for basketball, probably more for wrasslin'. So it looks like it was about a quarter full.

They must've lost a good chunk of money on that one, right? I can't find any info on the number of PPV buys but it couldn't have been a whole hell of a lot.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

haljordan posted:

They must've lost a good chunk of money on that one, right? I can't find any info on the number of PPV buys but it couldn't have been a whole hell of a lot.

Considering WCW lost a ton of money in 2000, almost certainly.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
WCW memory brother: in either 99 or 2000 Savage was out in the ring cutting an obviously unscripted promo that ultimately went nowhere. At the end he showed which league really had the big dogs because he finished his promo "if ya smell what the...Mach..........is saying....". Still one of the funniest things I've seen in wrestling.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ChampRamp posted:

Considering WCW lost a ton of money in 2000, almost certainly.

Didn't they lose something like $50 million? It was an absolutely gobstopping number, which certainly helped Vince McMahon to buy the entire property for nothing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AOL-Time Warner: Okay so we've settled on the price for purchasing WCW - $25
Vince: Okay... now about the WCW tape library. I was thinki-
AOL-Time Warner: Okay fine, we'll take $20 off the price of WCW if you'll just take that thing off of our hands! drat you're a canny negotiator!
Vince: :stare:

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Didn't they lose something like $50 million? It was an absolutely gobstopping number, which certainly helped Vince McMahon to buy the entire property for nothing.

It was actually closer to $80 million lost in 2000.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

AOL-Time Warner: Okay so we've settled on the price for purchasing WCW - $25
Vince: Okay... now about the WCW tape library. I was thinki-
AOL-Time Warner: Okay fine, we'll take $20 off the price of WCW if you'll just take that thing off of our hands! drat you're a canny negotiator!
Vince: :stare:

When you look closely, wasn't Vince the only real potential buyer? I know Bischoff was trying to put a group together, but that didn't work out. I have to think ATW just wanted to be done with the mess and move on, and Vince was there with his checkbook.

Maybe the John Spano thing scared people. I would understand a sports franchise trying to sell might be wary of a buyer with questionable credentials, although I have no idea how strong a group Bischoff had put together. It probably looked sketchy as hell regardless, because one of his Fusient backers dropped out. Vince McMahon had an exclusive deal with Viacom, and super genius Jamie Kellner, new head of Turner, decided that "wrasslin'" wasn't right for the company, and shut down Thunder/Nitro/Worldwide/Pro/etc. So even if someone had an interest and the capital to pick up WCW, where were they going to get a TV deal?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The numbers that are thrown around, whether in dirtsheets or online or even in other books, are all bullshit. WCW and Turner never released financials on WCW, and no figures are available in the public records. What people have seen are guessed bad on bad "inside" information and hearsay at best.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 14, 2013

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Vince had initial purchase rights if WCW was ever up for sale due to some legal battle between the two. I think it was over the Woman's championship being thrown in the bin.

I could be wrong but that's why Eric couldn't buy it. Not that it would matter. Eric buying it would have meant that WCW closed down a year later at the absolute most.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kinda ironic to think that the Women's Title being thrown in the trash - such a big psychological blow to WWF at the time - eventually sealed Vince's ultimate triumph over WCW.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gonzo McFee posted:

Vince had initial purchase rights if WCW was ever up for sale due to some legal battle between the two. I think it was over the Woman's championship being thrown in the bin.

I could be wrong but that's why Eric couldn't buy it. Not that it would matter. Eric buying it would have meant that WCW closed down a year later at the absolute most.

Didn't Eric's deal fall through because the deal was dependent on them keeping the TV slot and the new guy running the network hated wrestling?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I personally would have loved to have seen Eric buy WCW and try to run it from there.

Without someone else's money to throw around like a rich kid with daddy's credit card he'd have been destitute within months and I love watching Ayn Rand reading libertarians get broken once they put themselves in any personal fiscal danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Call Me Charlie posted:

Didn't Eric's deal fall through because the deal was dependent on them keeping the TV slot and the new guy running the network hated wrestling?

Everything surrounding WCW's closure is shrouded in bullshit. It's very hard to remember what's true and what's bullshit. The new guy did hate wrestling though. And The Batman animated series and Animaniacs. He was a dick.

I'm fairly sure Vince getting first purchase rights is true though.