Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Region locking would be your problem, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
is there a way to bypass that or I'm screwed and I'll have to wait until I move to the US to play the game (which means I'll never be able to play it)?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

radlum posted:

is there a way to bypass that or I'm screwed and I'll have to wait until I move to the US to play the game (which means I'll never be able to play it)?

The region-locking is by hardware, not by where the device is physically so you'll be screwed until they release it in your region or you get a North American 3DS.

radlum
May 13, 2013
That is really unfair; I bought a 3DS in my country instead of buying it on ebay to avoid having it stuck in customs for months (as it happenned to a friend), but now I won't be able to play something I was looking forward to for arbitrary reasons. Is there any logical/business reasons to lock out a rather small market like the South American one?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Brazilian units are NA-region, I think.

You haven't bought anything else on the eShop yet, right? If not, delete your NNID from the system settings, change your country of origin in your profile to the US or Canada (I think Alberta, Canada is still the preferred option for non-NA people) and then make a new NNID. You'll have to buy games with a credit card, but I guess you may not have any other choice.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of December 12):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Wii Party U - €44.99 / £34.99
    Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW! - €44.99 / £36.99
WII U eSHOP
    RUSH - €3.99 / £3.59
    Wii Fit U Quick Check (free!)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES, PAL ver.) - €7.99 / £5.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Wii Fit U Trial Version (Wii U) - free for 31 days, available until January 31 (Balance Board required.)
    RUSH (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until January 9
    EDGE (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until February 1

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW! - €34.99 / £28.49
    Cocoto Alien Brick Breaker - €19.99 / £17.99
    Girl's Fashion Shoot - €29.99 / £29.99
3DS eSHOP
    3D Ecco The Dolphin - €4.99 / £4.09
    3D Galaxy Force II - €4.99 / £4.49
    Nano Assault EX - €9.99 / £8.74 (permanent price reduction)
    Nano Assault EX (demo)
    AeternoBlade (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Donkey Kong 3 (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns (3DS) - €19.99 / £14.99 until January 9
    Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until January 2
    Bugs vs. Tanks (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until January 2
    Crimson Shroud (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until January 2
    Liberation Maiden (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until January 2
    The Starship Damrey (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until January 2
    Snow Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.49 until January 9
    Luxor (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until December 19
    Secret Mysteries in London (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until December 19
    Jewel Quest 4 Heritage (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until December 19
    4 Elements (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until December 19
    Darts Up 3D (3DS eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until January 2

NA update (week of December 12):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    RUSH - $3.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Double Dragon (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Wii Fit U Trial Version (Wii U) - free for 31 days, available until January 31 (Balance Board required.)
    RUSH (Wii U eShop) - $1.99 until January 9
    EDGE (Wii U eShop) - $1.99 until February 1

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Life with Horses 3D - $29.99
3DS eSHOP
    3D Ecco the Dolphin - $5.99
    3D Galaxy Force II - $5.99
    Jump Trials Supreme - $3.99
    My Style Studio: Hair Salon - $4.99
    Nano Assault EX - $9.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Nano Assault EX (demo)
    AeternoBlade (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Double Dragon (NES) - $4.99
DSiWARE
    Orion's Odyssey - 500 Points / $4.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Chain Blaster (3DS eShop) - $3.99 until December 31
    Farming Simulator 3D (3DS eShop) - $7.49 until January 3
    Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns (3DS) - $19.99 until January 31
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Balloon Fight (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until January 12
    Mario's Picross (3DS VC) - 100 Coins, available until January 12
    Starship Defense (DSiWare) - 150 Coins, available until January 12
    Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Wii VC) - 150 Coins, available until January 12

I haven't seen any mention of the Level-5 Guild sales for NA, but NOA always leaves stuff off the press release, so if you notice any discounts on the eShop, let me know.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Champeenship posted:

So it looks like Link to the Past is coming to the PAL Wii U VC, but it's European version. Bah.
Is there something wrong with the European version?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Is there something wrong with the European version?

Game runs slower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5YK-du_S_c

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

No Link to the Past this week in NA? What the gently caress Nintendo????

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

radlum posted:

That is really unfair; I bought a 3DS in my country instead of buying it on ebay to avoid having it stuck in customs for months (as it happenned to a friend), but now I won't be able to play something I was looking forward to for arbitrary reasons. Is there any logical/business reasons to lock out a rather small market like the South American one?

I bought my 3DS in Chile and after changing my profile to United States I have been happily buying and playing games from the eshop.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

No Link to the Past this week in NA? What the gently caress Nintendo????

Well of course they wanted to release Double Dragon on both 3DS and Wii U at the same time and they simply couldn't do that if they had put LttP up as well.

Of course there's no reason SMB3 isn't up yet since the hard part of putting the page up on the eShop. Maybe they're saving it for Dec. 26, but I'm probably just giving NoA too much credit.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 12, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Who is in control of deciding what/when VC games get released because I want to write a bunch of angry emails asking what the gently caress the holdup is and why I can't literally throw cash at them to download a dozen games from a decade ago.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Who is in control of deciding what/when VC games get released because I want to write a bunch of angry emails asking what the gently caress the holdup is and why I can't literally throw cash at them to download a dozen games from a decade ago.

Every time you do a Club Nintendo survey mention the bad release schedule.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Nintendo is literally a brick wall when it comes to listening to what customers actually want so I doubt that they actually listen to the Club Nintendo feedback about the release schedule

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

robodex posted:

Nintendo is literally a brick wall when it comes to listening to what customers actually want so I doubt that they actually listen to the Club Nintendo feedback about the release schedule

Pretty much, but if anyone complains about not caring about the story in a RPG, then they dumb it down to almost nothing and make the game have no EXP or money.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

robodex posted:

An intern probably enters it into a database somewhere, that maybe someone will look at one day! I also make sure to mention the lack of VC cross-buy between the 3DS and Wii U.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They think more people will buy each game if they're released in a trickle, even though they've literally never tried any other strategy to see if it would do better.

Like someone who does a taste test, tries one of the 3 samples, and then says "TEST OVER, THIS ONE WINS."

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I guess I want to know who at Nintendo thinks that and how can I tell him he's wrong and maybe shove him a little while doing it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Spacebump posted:

I do this each time, on the appropriate surveys (Virtual Console-related surveys) and I write out my grievances with the service as clearly and concise as possible.

I'd imagine everybody else is filling out the surveys like they're writing up a new entry in gamers.txt.

EDIT: The trailer for Double Dragon rules. Look out for the hidden surprise at 0:22!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRUmdHVU508

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 12, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Spacebump posted:

I do, every time. But that feels like I'm screaming into the abyss, is anyone really listening? And besides, I want to know how the decision to release Donkey Kong 3 instead of any other Nintendo owned game was made. Like others have said, why the gently caress isn't Link to the Past up on the WiiU VC with Link Between Worlds just coming out, or Mario and literally any other unreleased Mario VC game. If we were just talking about third party games I could maybe understand a delay with the legal stuff involved but with stuff that Nintendo made and owns I just don't get it.

Yes I am kinda annoyed that I can't spend money on games I have already owned but I am a big child.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's no reason why the entire Wii VC isn't on Wii U VC, they're just doing it this way because they don't want to do it any other way.

I still think they'd make more money if they opened the floodgates and charged a flat fee to access the entire library ie Playstation Plus.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I'm sure this point has been brought up a lot already but if they released even just five games a week then you'd probably have a lot more people popping into the eShop more frequently to check out what's new. Maybe that's what they're going for with this trickle but I'm not sure why they think people would check in regularly if the one game they release a week is some snes poker game or whatever.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

So I totally forgot that Club Nintendo existed for a couple months and now the digital download versions of Pokemon Y and Phoenix Wright gone past their window of filling out the survey for the product registration coin bonus. Is there any recompense to getting those points or am I SOL?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It's not like they can just copy/paste the Wii VC games to the WiiU, they have to add in gamepad support and all that poo poo. I have no idea how hard that is but to get a ton of games out a week I suspect they'd need a team working on just that all day to keep up. Not that I like how slow this is, but releasing the whole Wii VC lineup would take a long time regardless.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It's not like they can just copy/paste the Wii VC games to the WiiU, they have to add in gamepad support and all that poo poo. I have no idea how hard that is but to get a ton of games out a week I suspect they'd need a team working on just that all day to keep up. Not that I like how slow this is, but releasing the whole Wii VC lineup would take a long time regardless.
Step 1 - Take NES emulator
Step 2 - Replace NES rom with other NES rom

Wow I'm already exhausted just typing it. Whew!!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Shear Modulus posted:

So I totally forgot that Club Nintendo existed for a couple months and now the digital download versions of Pokemon Y and Phoenix Wright gone past their window of filling out the survey for the product registration coin bonus. Is there any recompense to getting those points or am I SOL?

E-mail their customer support. When I did they added all of the games to my CN account within an hour.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Quest For Glory II posted:

Step 1 - Take NES emulator
Step 2 - Replace NES rom with other NES rom

Wow I'm already exhausted just typing it. Whew!!

There's no one emulator for each console; each game has to be optimised individually. Then there's the fact that the Wii U and Wii are each different consoles and run on hardware with their own characteristics that affect the emulation.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AngryCaterpillar posted:

There's no one emulator for each console; each game has to be optimised individually.
Yeah I've heard this urban legend before but no one ever links to proof that it's true. A google search just brings up other forum threads where people spout the same urban legend without a source.

The emulation in these games is never perfect anyway. The Neo Geo emulator on Wii was awful awful awful. If that was "optimized" for each game then they did a loving awful job of it. Unless someone from Nintendo is gonna break it down like a technical manual, my opinion on the matter is that "optimization" means "replace ROM with other ROM; does it work? done." If we were talking about low-level Nintendo 64 emulation, okay, but N64 emulation is not even on Wii U. These are mostly first-party NES and SNES games that could be emulated on computers since the mid 90s in emulators made by total hobbyists doing it in their spare time, not even as a job. You can't say that Nintendo's focus is on accuracy, because the emulators on Wii would prove that it's not.

This is solely an intentional business decision to manufacture a sense of supply and demand.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 12, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

There's no one emulator for each console; each game has to be optimised individually. Then there's the fact that the Wii U and Wii are each different consoles and run on hardware with their own characteristics that affect the emulation.
Yeah yeah, Nintendo says that, but come on. Look at unofficial emulators, say Snes9x. It runs most games perfectly fine on a multitude of systems using the same codebase with just minor adjustments for each. It is far more likely that they have a common emulator that adds or removes a speedhack here and there for each release, depending on what the game needs. That process does not take a full 40 hour week per game*.

* Assuming they have a single person working on the entire Virtual Console lineup.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 12, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Buy Galaxy Force II, idiots.

Yeah I've heard this urban legend before but no one ever links to proof that it's true. A google search just brings up other forum threads where people spout the same urban legend without a source.

"Homebrew" dudes know how to extract the data from each individual emulator wrapper and insert in any ROM they like, so by dicking around with ROM extraction/insertion they've been able to identify the differences between each emulator. There's nothing to dispute here.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
A lot of our problems would be solved if Nintendo could figure out a way to enable gamepad controls while using Wii mode on the gamepad.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm going to assume that the ECCO 3D release does not have the superior SegaCD soundtrack? :smith:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm going to assume that the ECCO 3D release does not have the superior SegaCD soundtrack? :smith:

Nope. It's one of those things that Sega doesn't outright own the rights to, as far as I know.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"Homebrew" dudes know how to extract the data from each individual emulator wrapper and insert in any ROM they like, so by dicking around with ROM extraction/insertion they've been able to identify the differences between each emulator. There's nothing to dispute here.
Do you have a link to this? I've googled and found nothing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Do you have a link to this? I've googled and found nothing.

I can't link to anything directly right now (and it'd probably be :filez: anyway) but if you google some combination of "wii virtual console wad injection" you should get the general gist of things.

The differences in each emulator were particularly pronounced for N64 games, but even SNES and other systems had a lot of odd individual quirks meant for specific games (mostly related to add-on chips like SA-1, I think).

Ultimately, it's just one of a bunch of factors that contribute to the slow VC schedule, not least of which is that Nintendo sees "do almost nothing, make a reasonable profit" as a respectable ROI for a service that they don't consider a core pillar of their digital business.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well, with the Super Nintendo, some carts had special chips and even hobbyist emulators needed to incorporate support for those chips. Mega Man X3 was one of those games. But that wasn't the case for the average SNES game. Most developers didn't need to break the limitations of the hardware, like the SuperFX chip did. It's really more of a special case scenario for a small selection of games. Once SNES emulation got going in the 90s with VSMC, a huge percentage of games worked right from the start (although issues with transparencies caused some games like Chrono Trigger to be a little wonky, but this was the era of 486 DX computers). It was worlds away from the early days of STARCADE and multi-pacman emulators when each game addition was a big deal. GUYS, WE FIGURED OUT TEMPEST. WE FIGURED OUT TEMPEST!!! And this was the early days when barely anyone knew what they were really doing (including Nintendo, who constantly tried to shut emulation websites down).

N64 is the one situation where I'll agree with you that it needs optimization, because that's just how it is with N64 emulation in general. If you look at the Wii VC selection of N64 games, it's really small and doesn't even cover the entire first party library. But of course, N64 is not even on Wii U. I suspect that NES/SNES is not LLE and that's why they're the first and only systems supported at the moment, while N64 remains announced and MIA along with the Game Boy Advance, so it's possible that N64 is low level, which is a larger undertaking from what I understand.

But with NES/SNES emulation.. if the emulators are worth their salt at all, they've already got most of both libraries supported. I mean this is a situation today in which you can go to a mall, buy a cheap rear end chinese-made doppleganger NES, it'll sound weird and dinky but it will still support 90% of your home library. Just not Castlevania 3.

If Nintendo's got QA positions then seeing what works and what doesn't seems like a simple task to delegate. If a game has significant glitches in the emulator then it can just be put on the Work In Progress pile while the ones that make it to the end of the conveyor belt can go up.

But my premise continues to be that Nintendo staggers releases as an intentional business tactic.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 13, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The tl;dr answer is that Nintendo's emulators aren't terrible like those ones you're comparing them to, and that people have really warped ideas about how "simple" emulation is based on free PC emulators that have gone through decades of optimisation, but this is a tedious conversation and it seems to pop up every loving week so I'm done.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm not saying that if an emulator doesn't have a high rate of compatibility that it's terrible (although a lot of people would), but if a Nintendo-made emulator doesn't, it would be below-standard for a professional effort. These guys are the people who SHOULD know the ins and outs of the hardware, because they built it. Some dude in a basement can figure it out faster than they can? In an era where computers struggled to run Fury3? I don't buy it.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 13, 2013

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The Level-5 sales are in the NA eShop.
$4.99 down from $7.99 through January 2.

Exciting list for people who skim or search for titles:
Liberation Maiden (3DS eShop) - $4.99 through January 2
Crimson Shroud (3DS eShop) - $4.99 through January 2
Attack of the Friday Monsters! (3DS eShop) - $4.99 through January 2
The Starship Damrey (3DS eShop) - $4.99 through January 2
Bugs vs. Tanks (3DS eShop) - $4.99 through January 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Is Damrey any good?