Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I got some great suggestions. I've been meaning to watch Chinatown and I'm totally interested in The Pledge. I'm already a huge fan of Winter's Bone, Zodiac, Killer Joe, The Town and a bunch of the other dark films mentioned. I'm also definitely gonna check out The Long Goodbye and Grifters. Thanks fellas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

SMP posted:

Any other horror movies like Hausu? I was thinking of checking out Jigoku, as that seems to look similar.

It's pretty different actually. The tone is much, much darker. The first 2/3rds are a dark crime movie, a bit noirish, and then the third act takes place in Hell. It's really cool, although not exactly like Hausu. Definitely worth checking out though.

If you want something that's closer in tone to Hausu try Head.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

The film Exte is more modern, but it's not unlike Hausu in terms of how absurd it gets without really being 'scary' as such.

Demicol posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for movies about time travel? I've already seen Primer and Timecrimes.

The Girl who Leapt Through Time might be a good watch.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I've never really seen any Westerns, but playing Red Dead Redemption is making want to for the first time. I know about the Sergio Leone Westerns, should I watch them in order?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Farecoal posted:

I've never really seen any Westerns, but playing Red Dead Redemption is making want to for the first time. I know about the Sergio Leone Westerns, should I watch them in order?
The spaghetti Westerns are a late batch of Westerns - it makes more sense to start with the classic Westerns, like Stagecoach. If you must jump straight to the Leone movies, any order is fine - they aren't really related - but I find chronological works well thematically. There's sort of a one - two - three progression if you watch them in order.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Farecoal posted:

There was an interesting post in some thread (maybe this one?) where people equated a particular western to each of RDR's acts as an attempt to say "if you liked this act, you'll like this western". Posting this in the hope that someone remembers and can find it, but I think -- having never played RDR -- that it was something like
Act 1 - Stagecoach
Act 2 - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Act 3 - Unforgiven

e: In any event, whatever westerns you watch, Unforgiven should be at the tail end of it, after you've gotten the feel for the tropes and moral outlook of early and mid-era westerns since Unforgiven is something of a reaction and counterargument to those themes.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Looking for some movies like Zero Dark Thirty, Argo, and Captain Phillips. Could be fiction or dramatized versions of real events.

EDIT: VV I guess I should mention it's not the :911:-aspect of these movies I like, it's political thriller/planning and pulling off a tactical strategy aspect. Anything like the Ocean's Eleven series of movies but more grounded in reality would interest me as well.

But if United 93 is good I'll certainly check it out.

bowser fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 4, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bowser posted:

Looking for some movies like Zero Dark Thirty, Argo, and Captain Phillips. Could be fiction or dramatized versions of real events.

It sounds like you want to watch United 93.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bowser posted:

Syriana.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The spaghetti Westerns are a late batch of Westerns - it makes more sense to start with the classic Westerns, like Stagecoach. If you must jump straight to the Leone movies, any order is fine - they aren't really related - but I find chronological works well thematically. There's sort of a one - two - three progression if you watch them in order.

regulargonzalez posted:

There was an interesting post in some thread (maybe this one?) where people equated a particular western to each of RDR's acts as an attempt to say "if you liked this act, you'll like this western". Posting this in the hope that someone remembers and can find it, but I think -- having never played RDR -- that it was something like
Act 1 - Stagecoach
Act 2 - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Act 3 - Unforgiven

e: In any event, whatever westerns you watch, Unforgiven should be at the tail end of it, after you've gotten the feel for the tropes and moral outlook of early and mid-era westerns since Unforgiven is something of a reaction and counterargument to those themes.

Thanks, both of you. The reason I don't want to watch earlier westerns is the fact that they tend to paint over the darker aspects of the Old West (and star John Wayne, who I loathe).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

bowser posted:

EDIT: VV I guess I should mention it's not the :911:-aspect of these movies I like, it's political thriller/planning and pulling off a tactical strategy aspect. Anything like the Ocean's Eleven series of movies but more grounded in reality would interest me as well.

Day of the Jackal for sort of an inverse view. It's the baddie who has incredible tactical and logistical planning. Book is even better but the movie's very good as well.

It mixes a bit of truth with a lot of fiction

Rififi for a less glam, somewhat more realistic heist film (compared to the Ocean's series)

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 4, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Farecoal posted:

Thanks, both of you. The reason I don't want to watch earlier westerns is the fact that they tend to paint over the darker aspects of the Old West (and star John Wayne, who I loathe).
Have you watched enough Westerns to really say this? Because I'm not sure it's true. Moreover, the spaghetti Westerns do just as much, if not more, painting over.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Farecoal posted:

Depends on the western. The Searchers is as morally uncertain as any post-modern westerns; it stars John Wayne, but while he's the protagonist it'd be tough to call him the good guy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bowser posted:

I'm going to second United 93 because it's an amazing film, and fits the "Historical re-enactment as documentary" aspect that I think you're looking for. If the :911: aspect turns you off, I'd recommend Bloody Sunday by the same director, it's a similar idea of attempting to simulate a documentary about a historical event, and it's amazing. I want Paul Greengrass to make movies about every horrible event ever.

City of God doesn't quite fit, because all of the movies you mention are about single events, where City of god is more of a memoir, but it does have that same feeling of immediacy. For fictional films Way of the Gun takes place over a couple of days, and is the ultimate crime film for anyone who complains "this movie is dumb, because I wouldn't do that," Fargo, maybe would scratch the same itch you're feeling as well.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I have a request. I'm looking for scenes where the characters somehow directly interact with the soundtrack, but it isn't implied that they are hearing the soundtrack. That second clause would exclude things like band scenes or scenes like club Silencio from Mulholland Dr. Specific examples of what I'm looking for, that I can recall offhand, are Pearl's lullaby on the river from "Night of the Hunter", or the choir of soldiers in the famous long take from "Atonement". I don't see these types of scenes often, but when I do, I find them to be really affecting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Origami Dali posted:

I have a request. I'm looking for scenes where the characters somehow directly interact with the soundtrack, but it isn't implied that they are hearing the soundtrack. That second clause would exclude things like band scenes or scenes like club Silencio from Mulholland Dr. Specific examples of what I'm looking for, that I can recall offhand, are Pearl's lullaby on the river from "Night of the Hunter", or the choir of soldiers in the famous long take from "Atonement". I don't see these types of scenes often, but when I do, I find them to be really affecting.

The ear scene in Reservoir Dogs.

Edit: Oops, I misread. Takeshi Kitano's Zatoichi (2003) has many bits where people are doing poo poo in time to the soundtrack, but there's no diegetic explanation.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 4, 2013

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I love Lady Snowblood and I really enjoyed Shogun Samurai, Samurai Reincarnation: Makai Tensho, and Lady Snowblood 2. What other classic Japanese martial arts period films should I check out? I'm a huge Shaw Bros. and Golden Harvest fan, but I know embarrassingly little about what Japan had going on in that arena around that time.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

CloseFriend posted:

I love Lady Snowblood and I really enjoyed Shogun Samurai, Samurai Reincarnation: Makai Tensho, and Lady Snowblood 2. What other classic Japanese martial arts period films should I check out? I'm a huge Shaw Bros. and Golden Harvest fan, but I know embarrassingly little about what Japan had going on in that arena around that time.

With that list, it sounds like you need a little Lone Wolf & Cub and Zatoichi in your life.

e: Oh, Sleepy Eyes of Death too. And if you're into something with a lot more blood and sleaze, Hanzo the Razor.

Origami Dali fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 7, 2013

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

There's the Samurai Trilogy with Toshiro Mifune, Sword of Doom is great, as are the Kurosawa samurai films. There's also the American miniseries Shogun, about an English sailor who ends up marooned in 17th century Japan. It was made in the 70's and is obviously a product of it's time, but it was filmed entirely in Japan and is pretty good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some fantasy/medieval/sci-fi epics? Like Lord of the Rings or something that would go well with an Amon Amarth soundtrack.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Origami Dali posted:

The singalong to "Wise Up" in Magnolia maybe.

The Bowie dance scene in A Knight's Tale kind of fits too.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Parkingtigers posted:

The singalong to "Wise Up" in Magnolia maybe.

:doh: How could I forget that one? Great example.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

I made myself a similar list on Letterboxd where it was more an actor/actress performing within the film vs. the soundtrack playing in the background - Carey Mulligan in Shame, Rita Hayworth in The Lady From Shanghai or Jack Black in Bernie.

Anyway. there's a great chase scene near the end of Refn's Drive ["Oh My Love"] - unless that's one you would exclude? Others off the top of my head: "As Time Goes By" from Casablanca, the rowing scene in The Social Network, "Oh Danny Boy" from Miller's Crossing, the 5,6,7,8's from Kill Bill, Tom Cruise in Risky Business, and as a comedy option, the club scene w/ Vanilla Ice from Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze.

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012

Ewar Woowar posted:

Watch Winters Bone if you haven't already.

I read this post then watched this movie and had a really great (brutal) time. Incredibly good film, I would never find this stuff it wasn't for Internet Forums.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

friendo55 posted:

Anyway. there's a great chase scene near the end of Refn's Drive ["Oh My Love"] - unless that's one you would exclude? Others off the top of my head: "As Time Goes By" from Casablanca, the rowing scene in The Social Network, "Oh Danny Boy" from Miller's Crossing, the 5,6,7,8's from Kill Bill, Tom Cruise in Risky Business, and as a comedy option, the club scene w/ Vanilla Ice from Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze.

The problem with these is that, in each instance, the music exists within the reality of the film (i.e., the Turtles can hear "Go Ninja Go" as they're kicking rear end). So it looks like your list has it backwards from my request, where the music exists within the reality of the film, but also acts as the films's soundtrack during pivotal sequences (the aforementioned Reservoir Dogs scene fits this bill). My request stipulates that the music does not exist within the reality of the film (e.g., the character of Indiana Jones isn't hearing the blaring John Williams theme every time he cracks his whip), yet somehow they are directly interacting with the soundtrack (such as the "Magnolia" scene, where I'm pretty sure the characters aren't hearing the Mann song, much less at the same time). Now that I think about it, it's tough, because a lot of musicals would fall into this category, even though I'm not interested in musicals for this request. For instance, does the character of Sweeney Todd in Burton's film hear Tunick's score while he sings? Or, in the films's reality, are they just singing into the quiet air and only we hear the score? Or is the singing itself just an artistic interpretation presented to us, and only we can see and hear it, while meanwhile the characters themselves are just having a casual conversation? Is there a sound metaphysics of musicals? Bah!

Unless you were just noting you just had a different type of list. In which case, I'm dumb.

Origami Dali fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 10, 2013

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Origami Dali posted:

Does their interaction need to be musical, or can it be any action that syncs up with the soundtrack? I haven't seen the examples you mention, but I think the term for the latter idea is "mickey mousing." The Indiana Jones movies and 2001: A Space Odyssey spring to mind as films that use it a lot.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Origami Dali posted:

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but in Scott Pilgrim, there's a scene with a sitcom laugh track that gets "switched off" when a character turns off the stove.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Nolanar posted:

Does their interaction need to be musical, or can it be any action that syncs up with the soundtrack? I haven't seen the examples you mention, but I think the term for the latter idea is "mickey mousing." The Indiana Jones movies and 2001: A Space Odyssey spring to mind as films that use it a lot.

Well, I'm thinking musically. Like friendo suggested with the rowing scene from "The Social Network", there's some interaction going on there between the imagery and the soundtrack (I might call this 'kinetic' interaction done through editing, which is what Indiana Jones and "2001" would fall under), but I'm looking for direct, musical interaction between characters and an unheard-by-them soundtrack, and preferably from films that aren't musicals. I imagine they're just really rare moments, and so far only "The Night of the Hunter", "Zatoichi" (2003, and thanks skwirl, I totally forgot about that), "Atonement", and "Magnolia" seem to fit the bill. I seem to have a faint recollection of some other moments from movies where the central character either hums or sings a few bars of the main theme from the soundtrack, while the soundtrack comes into accompany them, but that might just be something I imagined.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

Well, I'm thinking musically. Like friendo suggested with the rowing scene from "The Social Network", there's some interaction going on there between the imagery and the soundtrack (I might call this 'kinetic' interaction done through editing, which is what Indiana Jones and "2001" would fall under), but I'm looking for direct, musical interaction between characters and an unheard-by-them soundtrack, and preferably from films that aren't musicals. I imagine they're just really rare moments, and so far only "The Night of the Hunter", "Zatoichi" (2003, and thanks skwirl, I totally forgot about that), "Atonement", and "Magnolia" seem to fit the bill. I seem to have a faint recollection of some other moments from movies where the central character either hums or sings a few bars of the main theme from the soundtrack, while the soundtrack comes into accompany them, but that might just be something I imagined.

In Kill Bill Volume 1, Elle Driver (Daryl Hannah) whistles a key part of the soundtrack, a reuse of Bernard Herrman's piece "Twisted Nerve."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E84OWq6z3IQ

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

In Kill Bill Volume 1, Elle Driver (Daryl Hannah) whistles a key part of the soundtrack, a reuse of Bernard Herrman's piece "Twisted Nerve."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E84OWq6z3IQ

You know, that might be exactly the scene I was thinking of at the end of my last post. Thanks.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So I recently watched Valhalla Rising and Pathfinder and have been listening to a lot of Amon Amarth.

What are some other awesome viking movies?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xandoom posted:

Might be obvious, but ... Game of Thrones?

Outlander is similar to Pathfinder, though I would not recommend it as an actually good movie, just one that has vikings I guess. It's basically "Grendel (also, laser pistols)".

Also consider the various King Arthur, Roman Legion, and early middle age movies, such as Ironclad, Last Legion, Centurion, 13th Warrior, Flesh & Blood and King Arthur (w/ Clive Owen).

Edit:
http://www.metalinjection.net/at-the-movies/amon-amarth-frontman-lands-role-viking-film

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 10, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I loved Outlander. It's a really solid B-movie that takes the idea of Vikings + spaceman and runs with it. Nails the look and feel of the period, so sci-fi stuff aside it's got an almost historical feel to some parts of it. Mind you, my good feelings about that movie are partially due to drinking beer while watching it, and pausing halfway through to have sex with a large-breasted woman. Seemed utterly appropriate.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Xandoom posted:

So I recently watched Valhalla Rising and Pathfinder and have been listening to a lot of Amon Amarth.

It's not easy to find, but The Viking Sagas released in 1995 is probably the most brutal and realistic viking movie I've ever seen. Definitely worth seeking out.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
My dad is getting a new 3D tv for christmas, he has alot of 3D movies(man of steel,old films,avatar, jurassic park), recommend me a movie or box set for him.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Origami Dali posted:

There's a Simpsons episode where Bart is humming the Simpsons theme, but I can't for the life of me remember which one.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

penismightier posted:

There's a Simpsons episode where Bart is humming the Simpsons theme, but I can't for the life of me remember which one.

Bart Gets Famous

Lillelord
Oct 3, 2009
I want recommendations for movies that deal with vengeance in the vein of The Secret in Their Eyes and The Skin I Live in. I don't know exactly how to put it, but I want to watch more movies where we follow a character so eaten up by the lust for revenge that they do inhuman things in order to achieve it, preferably in a way that makes us feel compassion with the victim even though they "had it coming".

Sorry for being vague, hope somebody can help.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Lillelord posted:

I want recommendations for movies that deal with vengeance in the vein of The Secret in Their Eyes and The Skin I Live in. I don't know exactly how to put it, but I want to watch more movies where we follow a character so eaten up by the lust for revenge that they do inhuman things in order to achieve it, preferably in a way that makes us feel compassion with the victim even though they "had it coming".

Sorry for being vague, hope somebody can help.
The Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance) works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some awesome metal documentaries? I recently watched Until The Light Takes Us, Pure loving Mayhem, Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and Last Days Here, so something along those lines would be great.

• Locked thread