Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Original_Z posted:

Is Damrey any good?

It has zero replay value but I thought it was fun, and I thought it had a fantastic ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd say it's a pretty decent $5 experience.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Original_Z posted:

Is Damrey any good?

Better than I thought it was going to be and it surprised me twice. Definitely worth trying out for 5 bucks.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
How about Attack of the Friday Monsters? I'm gonna buy both Crimson Shroud and The Starship Damrey, and was curious what Friday Monsters was about.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SatansBestBuddy posted:

How about Attack of the Friday Monsters? I'm gonna buy both Crimson Shroud and The Starship Damrey, and was curious what Friday Monsters was about.

I like it. It's a really cute adventure game with a collectible card minigame. The 1970s suburban Japan setting is kind of neat too. I heard that it fell flat as a nostalgia piece to the Japanese audience but as a Westerner I thought it was pretty novel.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm not saying that if an emulator doesn't have a high rate of compatibility that it's terrible (although a lot of people would), but if a Nintendo-made emulator doesn't, it would be below-standard for a professional effort. These guys are the people who SHOULD know the ins and outs of the hardware, because they built it. Some dude in a basement can figure it out faster than they can? In an era where computers struggled to run Fury3? I don't buy it.

Caution: I might be talking mostly out of my rear end here, but this is how I understand it.

Well, Nintendo definitely does stagger releases for no apparent reason. But they do also have to config each game separately. You see, the kind of emulator that's available for free to us, like say ZSNES, will work fine with 99% of games and do what you want. But, the emulation isn't accurate. If you want accurate snes emulation, as in the computer virtually simulating every single part of the SNES architecture, you need lots and lots of processing power. In fact, the WiiU isn't powerful enough for it. So they need to use shortcuts, leading to inaccurate emulation. And inaccurate emulation leads to glitches. They might be just little graphical/audio glitches, like a certain sound effect getting a little blown out, or a graphics effect not being quite right. But Nintendo doesn't want these things to be there, because this is a product you buy and expect to be completely equivalent to the original. So they spend time optimising the emulator for individual games, so they can take shortcuts in the places that don't concern that game and get all of the things that do concern it done right.

And that is the long-winded explanation of why each VC game comes with its own emulator.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I've been avoiding it myself because from what I've heard, it's more like playing the tutorial of an RPG. That and what was mentioned about the people who actually lived it not being impressed.

And as far as emulation goes,

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The prof that they are ridiculously staggering these out is to just look at the different regions, or look at the pace of the original virtual console.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

greatn posted:

The prof that they are ridiculously staggering these out is to just look at the different regions, or look at the pace of the original virtual console.

Different regions will also have different ROMs that need to be tested. Especially when you consider that Europe is tired of the 50hz poo poo and that has to be changed.

I almost want to imagine the reason why they're not bothering to fall head over heel with getting the original VC stuff ported over is that making the GamePad completely compatible with the Wii menu would be easier than trying to modify however many hundreds of games that are on there. All I ask is that that shop be integrated with the eShop and I wouldn't really care otherwise. You know, other than the having to buy them again just to be in another menu or to play on a 3DS, that poo poo needs to change.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

If you guys haven't tried any of the new 3D Sega classics, you should download 3D Galaxy Force II ASAP.
M2 are doing an amazing job and the Nintendo 3D classics seem pathetic by comparison

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

.TakaM posted:

If you guys haven't tried any of the new 3D Sega classics, you should download 3D Galaxy Force II ASAP.
M2 are doing an amazing job and the Nintendo 3D classics seem pathetic by comparison

Done.

So does anyone here bother rating their games? I rarely scroll to the left in the eshop menu so I had a bit of a backlog to work through, and it's kinda annoying that they require you to put down your age Every. Single. Time.

And I get the feeling that the data they're collecting is nearly worthless, like, gender and age, okay those are generally useful to know, the ratings are really quick and easy way to judge how a game is collectively considered so that's good, but the last two questions are inane and so loving broad as to render the answers meaningless. I mean, wouldn't a game that's recommended for "Everyone" INCLUDE "Gamer"s? And it's very hard to answer the playstyles one as any good game will start off relatively soft before becoming more intense later, so a "casual" game could be an "intense" game in it's last few stages, so should Mario 3D Land be a "casual" game for how it starts or an "intense" game for how it finishes?

Those last two questions are so open to interpretation that I seriously wonder how useful they would be for informing somebody on how a game is received.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Is Crimson Shroud worth $5 for someone with no experience playing actual tabletop RPGs? The review I read says that the only real problem is that the menus are kinda hard to navigate, but the rest of the game is really well done.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It doesn't really play anything like a real tabletop RPG, it's pretty much just a JRPG with dice rolls.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It doesn't really play anything like a real tabletop RPG, it's pretty much just a JRPG with dice rolls.

This can't be stressed enough IMO. I bought it based on the notion that it was a tabletop RPG in video game form, and hated it. It's a JRPG with dice for JRPG fans, plain and simple.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

petewhitley posted:

This can't be stressed enough IMO. I bought it based on the notion that it was a tabletop RPG in video game form, and hated it. It's a JRPG with dice for JRPG fans, plain and simple.
That sounds pretty interesting and actually okay to me since, as stated before, I've never played a tabletop RPG and don't know if I could handle how (from what I've gathered, at least) complex they can get.

I played a little bit of Neverwinter Nights, which is based on one of the AD&D rulesets (I dunno which one :shobon:), when that was new-ish and gave up on it because of how different it was compared to RPGs I was used to like Final Fantasy (I'm sure I could get into them now that I'm older and more patient with most thing). So, the idea of a tabletop-style JRPG sounds like something I'd like to try. I'm gonna hold off until I get a little more feedback from other goons, but I'm thinking this might be a buy for me. :)

Edit: I ended up buying it even though I didn't get any more goon feedback. :shobon:

VVV That's true. Plus, going by what I've seen, I doubt it'll be worse than the first FarCry, which I also paid $5 for and is still the only game I legitimately hate and wish would disappear forever from my Steam library.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 14, 2013

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I bought it since it was 5 bucks. It's hard to disappoint at that price point. Unless it's McDonalds.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's pretty much a JRPG gameplay wise but there's even more to the tabletop presentation than just the dice. The characters are unanimated and look like miniatures on bases, and the action and dialogue are presented in text as a running narrative. I thought it was a neat experiment.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

It's far far closer to a Fighting Fantasty / Lone Wolf sort of thing (down to the way that combat/inventory based options open your choices up) than a "JRPG"

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Amppelix posted:

Caution: I might be talking mostly out of my rear end here, but this is how I understand it.

Well, Nintendo definitely does stagger releases for no apparent reason. But they do also have to config each game separately. You see, the kind of emulator that's available for free to us, like say ZSNES, will work fine with 99% of games and do what you want. But, the emulation isn't accurate. If you want accurate snes emulation, as in the computer virtually simulating every single part of the SNES architecture, you need lots and lots of processing power. In fact, the WiiU isn't powerful enough for it. So they need to use shortcuts, leading to inaccurate emulation. And inaccurate emulation leads to glitches. They might be just little graphical/audio glitches, like a certain sound effect getting a little blown out, or a graphics effect not being quite right. But Nintendo doesn't want these things to be there, because this is a product you buy and expect to be completely equivalent to the original. So they spend time optimising the emulator for individual games, so they can take shortcuts in the places that don't concern that game and get all of the things that do concern it done right.

And that is the long-winded explanation of why each VC game comes with its own emulator.

Has anyone actually done a comparison to show that Nintendo's emulator is much better than the various free ones out there? The process you describe is the same thing ZSNES and others use, special casing for particular games so they work right without having to actually simulate the exact physical hardware. I would expect that most major games will be pretty close because people are familiar with them and care enough to make the fixes needed to get them working right in the free emulators. It's the less popular games that I'd expect might be better from Nintendo, since in theory someone is being paid to make sure the game works right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pairofdimes posted:

Has anyone actually done a comparison to show that Nintendo's emulator is much better than the various free ones out there? The process you describe is the same thing ZSNES and others use, special casing for particular games so they work right without having to actually simulate the exact physical hardware. I would expect that most major games will be pretty close because people are familiar with them and care enough to make the fixes needed to get them working right in the free emulators. It's the less popular games that I'd expect might be better from Nintendo, since in theory someone is being paid to make sure the game works right.

A lot of things emulators run do not run console-accurate. It just doesn't really matter most of the time because the differences are relatively minor and something you're unlikely to notice, especially if you're not familiar with the game as it runs on a console. Most emulators don't bother because the gains outweigh the additional power requirements for relatively minor effects.

They run. They often run in a perfectly playable way. They're not console-accurate however. It's perfectly reasonable to argue that console accuracy is not worth the time and effort but that's an entirely different argument.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of things emulators run do not run console-accurate. It just doesn't really matter most of the time because the differences are relatively minor and something you're unlikely to notice, especially if you're not familiar with the game as it runs on a console. Most emulators don't bother because the gains outweigh the additional power requirements for relatively minor effects.

They run. They often run in a perfectly playable way. They're not console-accurate however. It's perfectly reasonable to argue that console accuracy is not worth the time and effort but that's an entirely different argument.

The reason I brought it up is that earlier people were claiming the reason why Nintendo takes so long to release virtual console games is that they are making them more accurate than the average free emulator. If they are no better than ZSNES or SNES9X or whatever people use these days then it goes back to just being some weird idea of how to market VC games by Nintendo.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

pairofdimes posted:

The reason I brought it up is that earlier people were claiming the reason why Nintendo takes so long to release virtual console games is that they are making them more accurate than the average free emulator. If they are no better than ZSNES or SNES9X or whatever people use these days then it goes back to just being some weird idea of how to market VC games by Nintendo.

It can be a combination of those two reasons. They've quite clearly got a derpy strategy when it comes to the release schedule. It's kind of like they think they're making love to us, and they don't want to blow their load too early, but from our point of view we're just getting hosed.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Had my 3DS for about a week now and all this time the UK Club Nintendo site has been down. Looking through google this seems to be A Thing, has anything been mentioned about when it might be back?

Ionnracht
Jun 1, 2011

Pierson posted:

Had my 3DS for about a week now and all this time the UK Club Nintendo site has been down. Looking through google this seems to be A Thing, has anything been mentioned about when it might be back?

I just checked and it's working fine for me right now, and I was logged in a few times earlier in the week as well to complete some surveys with no issues. Maybe you've just been unlucky about when you tried to log in?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Different regions will also have different ROMs that need to be tested. Especially when you consider that Europe is tired of the 50hz poo poo and that has to be changed.

The real reason is that Nintendo is understaffed. Sony does mostly the same thing with more complex machines, faster.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Ionnracht posted:

I just checked and it's working fine for me right now, and I was logged in a few times earlier in the week as well to complete some surveys with no issues. Maybe you've just been unlucky about when you tried to log in?
I tried it on IE and it worked so I guess it's just a thing with my Firefox.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

YourAverageJoe posted:

The real reason is that Nintendo is understaffed. Sony does mostly the same thing with more complex machines, faster.

Yeah, basically this. This is also why their major releases have slowed down, they have fewer people doing more work than their competitors. That's kinda changing recently, I remember them paying for a new building that'll hold more people and a lot of recent Iwata Asks interviews have had some fresh faces, but they're still employing maybe a tenth as many people as Sony does, if that.

Nintendo's not a giant, they were barely hanging on before the Wii showed up, and are being understandably cautious with their spending since now they realize not every console they produce will be a hit. Probably the only reason they're not filing for bankruptcy now is because they were so cautious with their money, since the WiiU is flopping so hard right now and they don't seem to know how to fix that. (more marketing, clearer message)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Nintendo's not a giant, they were barely hanging on before the Wii showed up, and are being understandably cautious with their spending since now they realize not every console they produce will be a hit. Probably the only reason they're not filing for bankruptcy now is because they were so cautious with their money, since the WiiU is flopping so hard right now and they don't seem to know how to fix that. (more marketing, clearer message)

The reason that Nintendo isn't filing for bankruptcy probably has a lot more to do with the fact that the Wii and DS were literally printing money for the last 6-8 years, and the 3DS doesn't look like it has any signs of changing that. :ssh:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Artix posted:

The reason that Nintendo isn't filing for bankruptcy probably has a lot more to do with the fact that the Wii and DS were literally printing money for the last 6-8 years, and the 3DS doesn't look like it has any signs of changing that. :ssh:

They also have several billion in their cash reserves and are still making profit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like how one of the new Wii U commercials deals with the problem of people sill thinking it's just the Wii because of its awful name.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I do not understand how moderation on Miiverse works.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Artix posted:

They "literally" print money!? Why didn't anyone tell me this!?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

AngryCaterpillar posted:

They only print Sen notes.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Google posted:

literally
/ˈlɪt(ə)rəli/
adverb
adverb: literally
  • in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
    "the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the roundabout"
    synonyms: verbatim, word for word, line for line, letter for letter, to the letter; More
    antonyms: loosely, imprecisely, metaphorically
  • informal
    used for emphasis while not being literally true.
    "I have received literally thousands of letters"

:negative:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Strictly true can now mean loosely strictly true. Perfect. It's a sad day when words no longer mean what they mean. R.I.P. English

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 15, 2013

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Strictly true can now mean loosely strictly true. Perfect. It's a sad day when words no longer mean what they mean. R.I.P. English

People who are pedantic about how people use the word "literally" are "literally" the worst

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

absolutely anything posted:

People who are pedantic about how people use the word "literally" are "literally" the worst

Oh my god you are still trying to annoy me for not liking Donkey Kong Country Wii

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Oh my god you are still trying to annoy me for not liking Donkey Kong Country Wii

Hahaha what? What does that have to do with anything?

(also you do realize the irony in getting upset that i remembered your weird donkey kong posts and then remembering my one post about your posts right)

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

absolutely anything posted:

Hahaha what? What does that have to do with anything?

(also you do realize the irony in getting upset that i remembered your weird donkey kong posts and then remembering my one post about your posts right)

That's not ironic.

I'm taking the bait! You can't stop me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

That's not ironic.

I'm taking the bait! You can't stop me!

No don't take the bait it wasn't meant for you! Come back!!