Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

GEEKABALL posted:

:ssh: Want your cream sausage gravy extra rich and decadent? Use evaporated milk or cream instead of milk.

I think this would kill me. Stuff's already crazy lumberman in winter chow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Here's a question for those more knowledgeable than I:

Has there been a proven link between cooking in cast iron and the iron "leaching" into foods? I've always heard that cooking in cast iron is good for people with anemia or whatever but I've got to be honest it always seemed to be one of those old wives' tales.

And if it does, is it even a beneficial amount?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Ddraig posted:

Has there been a proven link between cooking in cast iron and the iron "leaching" into foods? I've always heard that cooking in cast iron is good for people with anemia or whatever but I've got to be honest it always seemed to be one of those old wives' tales.

Found this paper from a quick search. Seems like it may be beneficial.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
From what I understand, the coating that forms on the surface is due to a reaction that is catalyzed by iron. There must be some minuscule amount of iron coming off of it somehow, or else you wouldn't be able to put on layer after layer by repeatedly cooking in it.

HoneyVonBeerstein
Oct 13, 2012
I just made bubble and squeak in my cast iron pan this week, and it was awesome. A great way to use leftovers

I cooked some bacon, then cooked onions in the bacon fat. Then I added some chopped up leftover cabbage and potatoes to the pan with the onions, and pressed it down. Then crumbled the bacon over it, sprinkled some pepper and nutmeg, and cooked it until it was crispy brown on the bottom. When I flipped it onto a plate, it came right out looking GBD.

Best addition to brunch ever.

HoneyVonBeerstein
Oct 13, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Yes, though it is less easily absorbed than the iron you get from food. You get more iron in your food if you cook something acidic in it.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

HoneyVonBeerstein posted:

Yes, though it is less easily absorbed than the iron you get from food. You get more iron in your food if you cook something acidic in it.

This, but Acidic foods is bad for your seasoning and should be done sparingly...

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I jsut found out that you can make very nice home-made naans by using a super-heated heavy cast-iron skilet to replicate the heat of a clay oven.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Well, I left my cast-iron frying pan on the lowest possible flame overnight, for about 10 hours. Yes, it was accidental. After inspection, it doesn't look obviously damaged or affected. Is there anything I can do for it? I've already apologized profusely.

Edit- It was decently seasoned as of last night. Looks fine now but I dumped a little oil on it as soon as I discovered my mistake, just in case its feelings were hurt.

Zeris fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 14, 2014

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

If the seasoning looks fine and you didn't panic and immediately toss it in a sink of cold water to cool it down it should be entirely undamaged. It's cast iron it likes heat

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Make a sacrifice of bread/milk/honey to your house spirit to thank them keeping your house from burning down. Then sacrifice some bacon to the skillet to mend any seasoning you may have damaged.

The iron itself will be fine, but I know my stove would remove the seasoning around the hot spot if I did that.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

phthalocyanine posted:

It's cast iron it likes heat

*turns on heat in preparation for some bacon*
"Yeah. You like that, don't you, bitch?"

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

Followed by homefries with finely chopped rosemary.

This was mind blowing and I think I love you. More seriously I may end up using this on some meats too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tweek posted:

*turns on heat in preparation for some bacon*
"Yeah. You like that, don't you, bitch?"

Well, breakfast will never be innocent for me, ever again. Thanks for that.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Ok, I warmed it a bit in the microwave then took it to bed with some bacon. Now there's grease everywhere but it seems happier after this morning. What gets bacon fat off flannel?

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

Zeris posted:

What gets bacon fat off flannel?

Semen.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Amazon has the Lodge set for $65 which includes a 12" and 8" skillet, a little tortilla warmer thing, and a dutch oven.

Nitram2.0
Dec 29, 2012
Heads up on a good enamel cast iron dutch oven deal. http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-EC6D43-Enameled-Island-6-Quart/dp/B000N501BK
I got mine a couple weeks ago and it makes fantastic one pot beans and rice. Can't wait to make some chili.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...
Wow, this threat has been an eye opener! My cast iron seems to stick a little and looks kinda crappy. Now I know that the metal should be smooth rather than textured as it came. I'm thinking I want to sand the surface down to get it smooth enough and re-season it - can I just sand off the old seasoning too or should I clean it all off somehow? If the latter, what's the best method? (My oven doesn't have a cleaning cycle. In fact, until this threat I didn't even know that was a thing!)

copen
Feb 2, 2003
nonsense, you need to use it more. Go liberal on the oil until it gets to where it needs to be.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Will that do it? The surface of the metal was very textured/pitted when I got it - would I not get a better surface if it was smoothed out?
The seasoning I've built up is nice and black, it's just moulded itself round the pits and ridges in the metal..

copen
Feb 2, 2003
I've got a 12" pan that I use probably 6 times a week at least and the seasoning is perfect. It is even kind of smooth now. I don't know if it is from use or season build up.

my 10" cast iron pan that I rarely use sticks like crazy but I neglect it quite a bit. use it maybe once a month or something.

all you need is love.. I guess is what I am saying.

Autographed Book
Aug 26, 2009

If you've got a big thirst and you're gay, reach for a cold, tall bottle of Schmitts Gay.

Oski posted:

Will that do it? The surface of the metal was very textured/pitted when I got it - would I not get a better surface if it was smoothed out?
The seasoning I've built up is nice and black, it's just moulded itself round the pits and ridges in the metal..

Did you get it new or used? Was it pre-seasoned?

When I got my first cast iron pan, I had issues with food sticking all the time, but that was more of me being used to teflon, over flipping/stirring food (not letting it cook, crust and release) and using too high of a heat.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

It was brand new and unseasoned. It's not bad by any means, I love it to bits - I just don't think it's going to be up to, for example, frying an egg. I want to try and achieve a surface like the ones of the videos linked last page! I think I'm mainly just filling time until my new job starts in a few weeks and this seems like a good way to use this weekend...

copen
Feb 2, 2003
just give it some time. rome beautiful seasoning wasn't built in a day.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
My Lodge pan is pretty well seasoned, I did 5 cycles in the oven with grapeseed oil and I've cooked an unhealthy amount of bacon in it, but every time I get it red hot to quick-sear a steak it loses that sheen until I cook some bacon again.

I'm not asking anything, just saying I loving love how cast iron sears a steak.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pudgygiant posted:

My Lodge pan is pretty well seasoned, I did 5 cycles in the oven with grapeseed oil and I've cooked an unhealthy amount of bacon in it, but every time I get it red hot to quick-sear a steak it loses that sheen until I cook some bacon again.

I'm not asking anything, just saying I loving love how cast iron sears a steak.

Adventures in Cast Iron: Fry More Bacon

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
We bought one of those little (4 inch) cast iron pans "pre-seasoned" and promptly ruined the pan by trying to make an egg with what is to be called a pitifull amount of butter (all natural from grass fed cows)in the pan. Its been looking better recently after cooking some small peices of bacon a few times a week but i havn't noticed it becoming more smooth. I should just be running a light scrape over it to clean right?

Once I figure out how to care for this little amazing pan I plan to get a larger one. I recently bought an enamled cast iron dutch oven and thats been workinng nothing short of amazing.

Autographed Book
Aug 26, 2009

If you've got a big thirst and you're gay, reach for a cold, tall bottle of Schmitts Gay.
I used to scrape my pan with a metal spatula for big crusty bits, scrub it with kosher salt and then give it a light coat of oil and heat it up. I recently started letting it cool and then scrubbing it with a stiff bristle brush with warm water (heat & oil as the final step still). I'm much happier with this method of cleaning. Everything I read when I first started was against it, but the seasoning seems to be building up better than it did before. I even use a little soap. I know, I'm going to hell.

In the end though, it's a big piece metal. Try different methods and see what works for you. I'd suggest just going ahead and getting a larger one now and learn with it.

I recent got an enameled dutch over too, and I love the thing.

My question: I've noticed I got a couple good chips around the top and the handles, should I worry about this? Is there a repair?

Autographed Book fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 2, 2014

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

bacon brewed beer posted:

I recently started letting it cool and then scrubbing it with a stiff bristle brush with warm water (heat & oil as the final step still). I'm much happier with this method of cleaning. Everything I read when I first started was against it, but the seasoning seems to be building up better than it did before. I even use a little soap. I know, I'm going to hell.

This is what we do minus the soap. Then once it's dry I put a small amount of oil in the pan and heat it until it starts to smoke.

In the end though, it's a big piece metal. Try different methods and see what works for you. I'd suggest just going ahead and getting a larger one now and learn with it.

I recent got an enameled dutch over too, and I love the thing.

My question: I've noticed I got a couple good chips around the top and the handles, should I worry about this? Is there a repair?

We have an enameled dutch oven that made in 1968 and basically all of the enamel is gone from the rim and has been since I first set eyes on it five years ago. You can have it re-enameled, but I'd imagine its pretty expensive. I don't know of any spot fixes.

Autographed Book
Aug 26, 2009

Dukket posted:

This is what we do minus the soap. Then once it's dry I put a small amount of oil in the pan and heat it until it starts to smoke.

Right on. I'll dry it, heat it to evaporate the rest of the water, and wipe it with oil from my deep fryer, only to turn the flame off when it smokes. I only use soap when it's really really greasy after use, and only a minuscule amount. I really don't believe it's effecting the seasoning. Honestly, I used a cast iron pan for three years with doing the 'no water at all' way, and it seemed to stay greasy at times. That was probably was a breeding ground for bacteria. Anyway, with what I'm doing now, after only a month it seems to be where it was after almost half a year, seasoning wise. [/quote]

Dukket posted:

We have an enameled dutch oven that made in 1968 and basically all of the enamel is gone from the rim and has been since I first set eyes on it five years ago. You can have it re-enameled, but I'd imagine its pretty expensive. I don't know of any spot fixes.

That's great to know. I was worried about the potential of it rusting and becoming unusable over time, but I guess my grandkids will probably be dead before that happens.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Got an old square skillet (square skillets? this is totally new to me) from my grandma. She said she never uses it anymore, so I'm going to assume there's no seasoning to speak of.

What to do? (Besides "cook bacon", I don't have any and don't get paid until Thursday)

copen
Feb 2, 2003
bacon is technically inferior for seasoning, the smoke point is too low.

use some cooking oil with a high smoke point. Canola is good enough for me. heat it up on the burner and use a paper towel to put a thin layer on the pan. Into the oven at 400 degrees upside down for an hour or so. maybe 375, you don't want your oil to smoke but it needs to get close.

you can cook anything and just be sure to use a little extra oil and it will build up seasoning. Just stay away from notoriously sticky things for now, potatoes, eggs, cheese etc.

pan fry a pork chop or cook a steak or anything like that.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Captain Trips posted:

Got an old square skillet (square skillets? this is totally new to me) from my grandma. She said she never uses it anymore, so I'm going to assume there's no seasoning to speak of.

What to do? (Besides "cook bacon", I don't have any and don't get paid until Thursday)

This is a pretty cool article.

Autographed Book
Aug 26, 2009

Captain Trips posted:

She said she never uses it anymore

If she did use it previously, it probably dies have a seasoning to it. What does it look like? I'm willing to bet it's fine the way it is to use after a good sanitizing.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

If she did use it previously, it probably dies have a seasoning to it. What does it look like? I'm willing to bet it's fine the way it is to use after a good sanitizing.

There was a black coating of something that looked like soot all over the back and even on the inside, and the cooking surface was a little sticky.

I washed it in soapy water, and I'm "baking" it right now after wiping it down with canola oil. I'm just gonna assume it's not seasoned, and do it myself. Better safe than sorry.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Next time you don't have bacon, you can always make popcorn. Using peanut oil, my pan practically became a mirror after that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I bought a 12" Lodge but I'm seriously considering just returning it because I have no idea what to use it for. My goto pan is a 12" SS 3 ply fry pan so in feel that already suits me really well for searing and throwing it into the oven when I need to. I don't eat bacon but when I do it goes in the oven so my house doesn't smell like bacon and it seems to cook better that way. My next purchase is a pressure cooker, but the one after that is gonna be a heavy as gently caress Dutch oven so after that I don't even know why I'd need the cast iron fry pan.

Is my opinion wrong or am I already sufficiently covering my bases?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
... if you didn't need it, why did you buy it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

dino. posted:

... if you didn't need it, why did you buy it?

Because everyone says I should have one etc etc etc. I haven't even pulled the stickers off of it and it's been sitting on my counter for about a week but I never feel like I wanna grab it.

Yeah I'm probably gonna return it today.

• Locked thread