Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Spirit Circle 17 is up: Read Online / DDL

We haven't had any other recurring antagonists show up yet besides Kouko, and it turned out she had a pretty good reason (based on what we now know), so I'm curious to see if Kajirou will A: make another appearance (He was probably also Vann's brother, for instance), and B: Have any further reveals or developments that explain his actions? He could always just be straight up nuts, since he has an obvious complex regarding being born the younger brother.

Also kind of wondering if present-day Fuuta will also turn out to be adopted, considering how many of his past lives have had problems with their birth family, then been taken in/nurtured by Dad Prime in some way.

Thanks as always. Spirit Circle is definitely Mizukami's strongest work so far, and I'm always happy to see more of it.

My running theory is that Fuuta's brother is Spascifica in his own reincarnation cycle. Of course, we don't know anything about him either (other than "Give me the Spirit Circle" and Fortuna's "Oh, you should know that one" back in Flors 1) so that doesn't actually explain very much right now. :v:

I wonder if Fuuta's going to use his knowledge of past lives to do any match-making? Relationship dynamics, at least, seem to hold across lives. It'd be funny to watch him go, "Yeah, you'd be good together, and you two, and that NEVER ends well, so you really, really shouldn't."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Einander posted:

My running theory is that Fuuta's brother is Spascifica in his own reincarnation cycle. Of course, we don't know anything about him either (other than "Give me the Spirit Circle" and Fortuna's "Oh, you should know that one" back in Flors 1) so that doesn't actually explain very much right now. :v:

That's a good one, actually. I was thinking of Rei, but I formulated that one before Jinkurou became a recurring role. We didn't much of him to go on from Vann's time, so I didn't really expect to see him again :v:

Seven Seas recently gave a date for Biscuit Hammer (press release, via tumblr):

quote:

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer (Story & art by Satoshi Mizukami)

Nothing short of a full-burst, energetic and mesmerizing experience, Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, from author and artist Satoshi Mizukami, is likely the best manga you’ve never read! Combining the stylized action and over-the-top fight scenes of a hot-blooded shonen series like Bleach, with an emotionally gripping and character-driven seinen storyline like Berserk, Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is one of the most hotly-anticipated manga to arrive on this side of the Pacific.

Whether it is the high-octane action, the GAINAX callouts and references, or the intricate and graphic storytelling, Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is a manga not to be ignored. Tread carefully, for the Hammer is nigh!

Everything about college student Amamiya Yuuhi is average: grades, looks and his blasé outlook on life. So what happens when he awakens one day to a talking lizard, who informs him that there is a gigantic hammer in outer space, poised to split the Earth into pieces, and requests his allegiance in the fight against the forces of evil? Pretend it never happened! Unfortunately for Yuuhi, a little bit of coercion in the form of a super-powered princess prevents him from returning to his mediocre life-as-usual.

In the adventure of his lifetime, Yuuhi will join forces with the unpredictable princess and seek out a motley crew of companions to fight back against an evil mage and his horrifyingly powerful homunculus before the Biscuit Hammer destroys the planet!

Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer will be released in 2-in-1 omnibus format starting in Fall 2014, with the first omnibus being released in November 2014, and the second omnibus following in February 2015.

Something to look forwards to for next christmas :haw:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ugh, better late than never but that's still a pretty big kick in the balls.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Ugh, better late than never but that's still a pretty big kick in the balls.

Oh that's so disappointingly far away. But, it's not like I'll suddenly stop loving the series between now and then.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Spirit Circle 18 is up, I suggest you strap yourself down somewhere safe where you can fistpump and "GOT DAAAAM" in peace because we've got some powerful pages: Read Online / DDL

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"Holy poo poo, dude" indeed. :stare:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ohbayoshi confirmed as last of the OGs, holy gently caress. Also we now have context for his previous appearance.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hahaha, that was a blast. Would've been a good final chapter too, though what we got is even better. Loved the transition into Vann's brother as well. Wonder where that guy is in the present.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I'm kind of worried at what kind of younger sibling modern day Fuuta's going to get. But then again, the theme for present day seems to be about breaking revenge cycles. And holy poo poo how are those two not dead from blood loss. As far as I could make out, pastKouko lost a hand, pastFuuta lost a leg, and at least one of 'em lost a finger but I'm not sure which.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

"Psycho Staff is indeed, very awesome. However, one-shot volumes are not something we actively look for. I think we’ll have to wait and see how Biscuit Hammer does before we can pull the trigger on any other Mizukami manga for the time being.
So if you want Psycho Staff, or Spirit Circle, to have a better chance…well, just make sure to pre-order Biscuit Hammer when it becomes available, and spread the word! —CC"

I still wish the first volume wasn't a whole freakin year away. I'd preorder the drat thing right now if I could.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
It took me less time than I expected to binge through Spirit Circle and join the waiting game like Sengoku Youko. But holy poo poo. I love Fuuta and Tetsu's bro-ing it up throughout time. It's just the best.

Then last chapter has that incredibly metal action scene that made me stare for half a minute going "DAAAAAAAAAAAMN that's a leg and an arm... and that's his finger", and then those superhappy forest spirits again and I just love it so much.

I think I need something cleared up for me, though. Have we seen... uh, the priest's disciple in Vann's time elsewhere? He's pretty clearly a person of interest but he doesn't have the same distinctiveness I get from the others, probably because he doesn't remind me of anyone from Biscuit Hammer.

booksnake fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 13, 2013

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

booksnake posted:

I think I need something cleared up for me, though. Have we seen... uh, the priest's disciple in Vann's time elsewhere? He's pretty clearly a person of interest but he doesn't have the same distinctiveness I get from the others, probably because he doesn't remind me of anyone from Biscuit Hammer.

If you mean Cielo, he's Fuuta's teacher (and I suspect one of the pyramid guards during Fone's attack, based solely on his hair and falling on his rear end) Don't think I've spotted him anywhere else.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012
Here's a familiar face.

:smith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Well...gently caress

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Just finished reading Biscuit Hammer. Holy crap was that a ride. Super sorry to see it end, but really one of the best manga I have read.

Looking forward to checking out Mizukami's other works and picking up the Omnibuses when they come out in a year!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sengoku Youko 57, brought to you by Tales of Vesperia.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Senya's demons are the biggest bros now. :getin:

coathat
May 21, 2007

Crunchyroll just picked up Spirit Circle with chapter 20. http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga/spirit-circle/volumes

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

coathat posted:

Crunchyroll just picked up Spirit Circle with chapter 20. http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga/spirit-circle/volumes

That's fantastic but I don't think anyone translated chapter 19.

So uh.

Yeah.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is this one of those things where they're trying to be current with the magazine? Meaning not only have they "skipped" a chapter, but also that eventually the chapters will disappear into the ether?

coathat
May 21, 2007

They'll add the older chapters some time. The only reason they'd remove chapters is if it gets a print release and I'm not sure if they'd really do that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If you're a manga or all-access subscriber anything they've published should be available forever; free users can only see the latest chapters and have to see some ads. No idea what it means for chapter 19 though.

I'm only reading Attack on Titan on their site so far, but I know they have links for the kindle version so people can read from the beginning. Not really sure what they're doing for things that are less popular than AoT (i.e. everything)

Edit: I totally forgot my main point which is "woo! That's actually really cool and good news." :toot:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
They'll probably get chapter 19 done at some specific point presumably when the volume release that includes Chapter 19 comes out. They just filled in most of the backlog for Space Brothers the other day other than 5 chapters before the latest chapters, so I assume it's based on volume releases.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Haha, Spirit Circle 20 and not 19 is brutal. Man, this is so much better than Biscuit Hammer, that one took halfway through until the whole gang got introduced and you could track the character arcs to get really good, Spirit Circle is awesome from early on.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Here's 19, bridging the gap to crunchyroll's chapter 20 start.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
hi hello, its me im the slow idiot: Here's Spirit Circle 19, enjoy having no more holes!

I announced it pretty much everywhere else so I'll say it real quick here: I know CR has had some ups and downs when it comes to TL quality, so I plan to keep a close eye on this for a few chapters to see if I agree with their accuracy and style. If I don't like it, I'll keep going, but it definitely won't be as fast. If they have it under control, I'll just refocus on the older Mizukami stuff I have squirreled away instead!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Spirit Circle: still great. I think Mizukami's great at writing short character arcs, they're all fundamentally the same story of making peace with oneself, but they're all so relaxing and I'm still having fun, so it's not getting old.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Masterfully hosed up as usual Spirit Circle.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I announced it pretty much everywhere else so I'll say it real quick here: I know CR has had some ups and downs when it comes to TL quality, so I plan to keep a close eye on this for a few chapters to see if I agree with their accuracy and style. If I don't like it, I'll keep going, but it definitely won't be as fast. If they have it under control, I'll just refocus on the older Mizukami stuff I have squirreled away instead!
I thought 20's translation was fine, though there was seemingly some weird translation note towards the end (the "falling asleep" one).

Anyway, 19/20 were outstanding as usual. Like, drat. I think I could say right now that Spirit Circle is my favorite ongoing series.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
It's interesting that it shifts the focus away from the expected "right the wrongs of all the past lives" to "Actually it's pretty much just the one grudge that's still burning strong, everyone else is pretty chilled now"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Another thought I had is that something obviously changed between Hotaru and the next few lives, because that life started with him despising Kouko instantly and rejecting any notion of romance whereas Fuuta's first thoughts upon meeting Kouko for the first time in the classroom was that she was "beautiful". Not to mention that X scar has to come into the picture sooner or later.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Man, I just read SC 19 and the ending is so sweet. One of my favourites so far.

The mirror injuries were a nice touch too.

[edit] Now read 20, ending feeling changed to: :smith: :unsmith:

Munin fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 5, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Spirit Circle 21

"I'm glad that we met again here." :unsmith:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Augh. Even in their happy moments, the sense of impending tragedy is palpable.

I wish I had a flowchart of repeated characters, though, because I can never keep their relationships straight.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Crunchys reader: still terrible.

Man, this manga is :smith: and :unsmith: every other chapter.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Spirit Circle gives me all the feelings. :smith:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I really hope somebody picks Spirit Circle up and brings it bookstores. Maybe if everyone in creation buys three copies of Biscuit Hammer...

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Squidster posted:

I really hope somebody picks Spirit Circle up and brings it bookstores. Maybe if everyone in creation buys three copies of Biscuit Hammer...

I know I am. When's that releasing anyway? December? Wonder in what format it'll be released.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I believe Biscuit Hammer is coming out as two Omnibuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is crunchyroll having issues? I can't find Spirit Circle now, among many others.

E: Looks like it's back now, or there was something wrong with my home PC.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 28, 2014