Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Most of the people raising a stink on 4chan never donated in the first place. Half the threads are demanding screencaps and updates of the backers-only forum. They'll tout how this isn't about women - that it's about nepotism and a mod using infantile language in her posts - but every other post has the words "SJW", "feminist" or "SRS" in there somewhere.

If they wanted to be taken seriously, the likeliness of that happening is diminishing with every post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest it seems to me like Comcept is handling this in the right way.

Assume the people willing to actually put their money where their mouth are represent a vocal minority of the 4 million dollars donated, offer them their money back, and otherwise don't bend to their whining. If they decide this is enough to stop supporting MN9, so be it.

(Every single one of the people who demands a refund will be buying the game off Steam/PSN/whatever when it comes out.)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So what happens if enough money gets refubded to damage the project?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Star Man posted:

So what happens if enough money gets refubded to damage the project?

It won't happen. It would take a ridiculous amount of people demanding refunds to actually significantly hurt the project. Even if it reduced the game below one of the 'stretch goals' Comcept will probably just eat the cost and keep developing the stretch goal. At worst they might open up paypal donations or something again. (And after this kerfuffle, if they asked for more donations, they'd probably make more than their money back on Tumblrites or something doing gently caress You donations.)

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
There were anti-feminist idiots in the comments section on the kickstarter so I'm not surprised that they flared up again in the community.

Comcept seems to be handling this quite well, and the only people looking bad are the misogynistic internet twits who are quite literally freaking out because of a woman having opinions on things who is a woman.

The 'she doesn't know much about megaman' thing isn't an excuse either, because really - so loving what? You can just consider her to be a part of a new generation of Mighty No. 9 fans that have no connection to megaman or something. I'm happy to see new faces wherever they come from and for whatever reason - but the internet gamer boy's club is apparently very *threatened* by this *FEMINAZI AGENDA* or some poo poo so they start behaving like spoiled little babies.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 13, 2013

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I love how people bitch and moan that Dani isn't well versed in the Mega Man franchise, yet the only games most people have played are Mega Man 2 and Mega Man X. poo poo, she could just spend a couple of hours a day for a week on a few key titles and know everything she needs to.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
What is the point of even having a new franchise when anyone new involved can't be included because they "don't know Mega Man"? I'm trying to turn off my brain enough to ignore the overt woman hate in their arguments to try and see some sort of reason in their Lost Cause rage, but I'm drawing a blank here. How in the gently caress can Mighty No. 9 survive if its just only INDUSTRY VETERANS which Inafune gets crowd funding to come back, yet again? Why the gently caress shouldn't we involve any sort of talent that is willing to learn what makes Megaman awesome through whatever their work is in MN9?

I'd joke that this incident was artificially created by Capcom to sabotage the project, but I can't not believe that people are this stupid and self-destructive to lose all their enthusiasm over a goddamn Forums mod.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's especially funny when you realize that someone could play a huge chunk of the released Mega Man games and not actually play a single 2D platformer. If someone got into Mega Man entirely through .exe/Star Force would they not be considered a Mega Man fan? What if they were really really big fans of Mega Man Legends?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Say what you want about SJWs but I don't see 'em hasslin' Comcept over their choice of community managers. Just another case of people complaining about something being worse than the thing they're complaining about. By complaining about SJWs, one becomes the SJW.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ImpAtom posted:

It's especially funny when you realize that someone could play a huge chunk of the released Mega Man games and not actually play a single 2D platformer. If someone got into Mega Man entirely through .exe/Star Force would they not be considered a Mega Man fan? What if they were really really big fans of Mega Man Legends?

No, you see you are only a Mega Man fan if you have played Mega Man 2

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Sometimes that complaining gets so unbearable or extreme that you can't be around that person anymore. I know a guy that hated Skyward Sword so much that he won't go anywhere near it or anything there after and that the IP is dead to him. Even when asked if the next Zelda title ends up being something universally amazing, he won't even consider it.

People are loving weird.

blackguy32 posted:

If you've played Mega Man 2 and Mega Man X, then you're hardcore. If you've played Mega Man 3 and those other two games, then you're some obsessed weirdo that needs help. Seriously, the list of games you need to be familiar with is pretty fuckin small.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 13, 2013

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

Quick Lasers and Boobeam Trap are horrible assfuckery, anyone who enjoys MM2 is no true scotsman, barely scottish at all, hell, practically irish. *is a leprechaun*

(fans are loving terrible. especially the ones that use their fandom as an excuse to be dickbags)

quakster fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 13, 2013

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Mega Man 3 has always been better than Mega Man 2 anyway.

So I've been playing a lot of a really good Mega Man fangame I discovered recently, but given the content of it I'm not quite sure I should really link it here. You can probably guess from that what it has to do with so Google is your friend if you want to know more.

But, in other news entirely...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
US only. :smithicide:

Do they have the license to do that, because I didn't see any mention of it in the Kickstarter.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Mega Man 3 has always been better than Mega Man 2 anyway.

So I've been playing a lot of a really good Mega Man fangame I discovered recently, but given the content of it I'm not quite sure I should really link it here. You can probably guess from that what it has to do with so Google is your friend if you want to know more.

But, in other news entirely...

Certain game with title and character names in german, am I guessing correctly? Yes, it's tons of fun, but it's true it's not a good idea to show much of it around here, a pity since its only problem are those stage select artworks... Too bad passwords don't save e-tanks, I always have to complete the game in one sitting because some fortress bosses are brutal.

As for the board game, I want those snazzy game pieces soooo bad... and wow, it got founded in less than a day, didn't it?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

No, Rosenkreuzstilette I played back when it was first released and have considered pretty much the best Mega Man clone ever since. Sequel also good. I don't really consider it to be a fangame as such, as it's an actual released and sold product. The game I'm talking about is a freeware fangame that's a mix of Mega Man and something that I've learned is a good idea to never talk about on these here SomethingAwful forums.

Mordaedil: Yeah, they have a contract with Capcom. Incidentally, that's what prevents them from shipping outside of the US. Bottom of the page, under "International shipping":

quote:

Because this is a licensed product, our contract with Capcom limits us to sales in North America only. If you live outside of North America, we will not be able to ship pledged items to you.

If we reach enough funding, we will discuss extending our licensed territory with Capcom. You may still purchase the Mega Man Supporter pledge level to get updates and news. Backers that live in North America but outside of the United States must add the specified cost for shipping to their pledges.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Wait, according to the kickstarter, the idea is not only to sell the game themselves but sending it to retailers and the like, isn't it? Would it be possible for a non-US resident to import it from Amazon or something? Has there been precedent with a product with similar licensing issues?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Good grief. Some twit who was on my twitter feed was raging about this, too. Who the gently caress gives a poo poo? AFAIK she's just a loving FORUMS MODERATOR. I should have a MN9 forums account but I haven't ever registered because for one, I don't care to post on the official forums, and two I barely ever check my personal, non-work email. Who the gently caress cares?

Gamers are the worst. Gamers are so bad that I hate the term and don't like being called a "gamer" as it is a mark of shame.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Gamers are the worst. Gamers are so bad that I hate the term and don't like being called a "gamer" as it is a mark of shame.

You're telling me!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Star Man posted:

Sometimes that complaining gets so unbearable or extreme that you can't be around that person anymore. I know a guy that hated Skyward Sword so much that he won't go anywhere near it or anything there after and that the IP is dead to him. Even when asked if the next Zelda title ends up being something universally amazing, he won't even consider it.

You're friends with DarkSydePhil?

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, Megaman Legends is awesome enough to make this a reality. But, yeah, the fact that they're shutting out new fans just because of 'no I'm the best fan!' is pretty much gamers.txt.

And look what shows up! SA, you never disappoint.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Gammatron 64 posted:

For gently caress's sake. Gamers are not the only people to do this. This isn't a "gamer" thing, it's an entitled male thing. Don't act like if you just killed all the gamers sexism would disappear forever. That's not how it works, and by acting like that you damage your ability to tackle things as a societal problem instead of a problem with a certain subculture.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
No, sorry, gamers are worse than average. It's a hellish broth of white straight male privilege with a simpering persecution complex because every nerd fucker got mocked in high school. Anyone who takes pride in being a gamer isn't worth knowing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

MarsDragon posted:

This isn't a "gamer" thing, it's an entitled male thing.

I'd go a step further- it's a human thing. Under other circumstances, anyone, from any group, is capable of the same unexamined entitlement. While it's certainly more prevalent in the historically privileged groups, and along the typical sexist or racist dimensions, it's also possible to see the same poorly justified identity defense expressed by minorities or by those arguing against justified persecution. In other words, to quote the great sage,

quakster posted:

By complaining about SJWs, one becomes the SJW.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Butt Ghost posted:

That thread's been updating rapidly. Comments involve either the crying of how "gaming is finished," people who have no earthly idea what is going on and want to know why "gaming is finished" today, and people trying to tell everyone to chill the gently caress out. But mostly crying. Other ongoing threads are about people canceling their preorders for Bravely Default because they gave the fifteen-year-old girls slightly less revealing outfits.

Some of the Twitter posts were incredible, people were saying poo poo like "I wish for a genocide on the white female race" completely unironically.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

For gently caress's sake. Gamers are not the only people to do this. This isn't a "gamer" thing, it's an entitled male thing. Don't act like if you just killed all the gamers sexism would disappear forever. That's not how it works, and by acting like that you damage your ability to tackle things as a societal problem instead of a problem with a certain subculture.

Yeah it's an entitled white male thing, but guess what subculture is loaded with entitled white males who feel scorned. I never said that killing all nerds will make sexism go away, don't be an idiot. Just because gamers aren't the only misogynists in the world doesn't mean I can't mention how toxic and loving embarrassing the gaming subculture is.

Mr. Maltose posted:

No, sorry, gamers are worse than average. It's a hellish broth of white straight male privilege with a simpering persecution complex because every nerd fucker got mocked in high school. Anyone who takes pride in being a gamer isn't worth knowing.

Pretty much this. Anybody who uses the label "gamer" as a mark of pride and forms their self-identity around consuming commercially made video games is not a person worth knowing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I came to this thread because I've been playing through the old NES games here and there, but this is an interesting fiasco.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah it's an entitled white male thing, but guess what subculture is loaded with entitled white males who feel scorned. I never said that killing all nerds will make sexism go away, don't be an idiot. Just because gamers aren't the only misogynists in the world doesn't mean I can't mention how toxic and loving embarrassing the gaming subculture is.

I agree. People who identify very strongly with any subculture (gaming, Trekkies, comic books, whatever) tend to bad about these kinds of things because they are unable to process criticism of the subculture, so when it gets disgustingly misogynistic, they still feel they have to take pride in it as part of their identity. If you love Mega Man so much that you have a Mega Man tattoo, then Anita Sarkeesian might through you into a blind rage purely so you don't have to suffer through cognitive dissonance every time you look at your skin.

It doesn't help that the mainstream gaming industry still thinks the only way to sell a game is to market entirely to people who spend most of their playing the game, have unlimited disposable income and play video games all together as a household; in other words, frat boys are the target audience.

It's why the last E3 suffered controversies from rape jokes and phone cameras zooming in on people's boobs without their permission, to say nothing of the PAX dickwolves saga. It's an industry that creates a self-fulfilling prophecy by saying "Well, people don't buy video games with female protagonists" and then fostering a culture that is actively hostile towards the women in its audience. I do think that things are slowly changing, mostly in the indie gaming world and mostly on PC games, so it's interesting that this particular battle is being fought over a Kickstarter Mega Man clone, which is a sort of odd merging of that indie scene with "gamer culture."

Anyway: Wily Castle has disappearing blocks in Mega Man 5 and Rush Jet has been successfully altered so that I cannot skip them :argh:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Pretty much this. Anybody who uses the label "gamer" as a mark of pride and forms their self-identity around consuming commercially made video games is not a person worth knowing.

If given the choice between talking to a "gamer" and a "football fan" you choose the football fan every time* because the chances they're a decent person with some semblance of conversational skills is so much higher as to be laughable.

*Unless its Skip Bayless. Nobody should talk to Skip.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Barudak posted:

If given the choice between talking to a "gamer" and a "football fan" you choose the football fan every time* because the chances they're a decent person with some semblance of conversational skills is so much higher as to be laughable.

Also in my experience, pound for pound, a football fan is much more capable of liking and rooting for their team of choice and having opinions about the game while still being able to admit that a member of said team is a horrible person if it turns out that he is a horrible racist or something.

The problem with a lot of "nerd" culture is that they are, for whatever reason, unable to like a thing while still being critical of its problems. The weird persecution complex becomes even more bizarre when you realize that everybody identifies with some kind of "nerd" subculture at some point. if you want to market something, sticking "for geeks" on it will probably help your sales. We're all nerds, "gamers," get over it. It doesn't mean we're entitled to be disgusting to women about whatever particular nerd-thing we've adopted.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I agree. People who identify very strongly with any subculture (gaming, Trekkies, comic books, whatever) tend to bad about these kinds of things because they are unable to process criticism of the subculture, so when it gets disgustingly misogynistic, they still feel they have to take pride in it as part of their identity. If you love Mega Man so much that you have a Mega Man tattoo, then Anita Sarkeesian might through you into a blind rage purely so you don't have to suffer through cognitive dissonance every time you look at your skin.

It doesn't help that the mainstream gaming industry still thinks the only way to sell a game is to market entirely to people who spend most of their playing the game, have unlimited disposable income and play video games all together as a household; in other words, frat boys are the target audience.

It's why the last E3 suffered controversies from rape jokes and phone cameras zooming in on people's boobs without their permission, to say nothing of the PAX dickwolves saga. It's an industry that creates a self-fulfilling prophecy by saying "Well, people don't buy video games with female protagonists" and then fostering a culture that is actively hostile towards the women in its audience. I do think that things are slowly changing, mostly in the indie gaming world and mostly on PC games, so it's interesting that this particular battle is being fought over a Kickstarter Mega Man clone, which is a sort of odd merging of that indie scene with "gamer culture."

Anyway: Wily Castle has disappearing blocks in Mega Man 5 and Rush Jet has been successfully altered so that I cannot skip them :argh:

Yeah, pretty much ALL nerd subcultures are pretty awful, although some are worse than others (heyooo brony freaks.) I'm not saying you're not allowed to like Video Games or wizards or what the gently caress ever, I'm just saying that fandoms are predominantly awful.

Video games are also very popular and there are millions of people who love video games, so we're going to see more awful gamers than some other things just because there's more people who play video games than say, people who play board games or build model kits.

I agree that it's slowly going to get better though - because video games are huge today, all the nastiness within the subculture is getting some attention and people are finally starting to address it.

Barudak posted:

Honestly, in my view, obsessive sports fans who can recall scores from 20 years ago are no different than any other kind of nerd, except it's just more socially accepted (even though being able to recall scores from 20 years ago is loving weird as hell). That, and they were less likely to get picked on in school so they don't have that persecution complex as often.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
And then we get in niché gaming cultures and oof, Megaman fans.

Jokes aside, because my family, friends and coworkers all kinda know I spend a lot of money and time on gaming, it is the sort of moniker that is more of a hassle to denounce than to just embrace. I've tried, though, but I think working up a fuss that I'm not really a 'gamer' per se tends to just make it worse than just saying "sure, yeah, I play games more than you, I guess to you that makes me a gamer".

People don't tend to like it if I try to go "No, you see, gamers are negative stereotypes reinforced by a childhood mentality that has stuck with them through adolescence and I think I am clearly a bit past that, since I work a 9-5 job and actually pay bills and can only really play games in the weekend. So you see, I am totally different from those guys who whine on the Internet about feminism is taking over the world and how inferior other people are to them."

I dunno, maybe it is just me.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Yeah, nerds are terrible, boo nerds.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest it seems to me like Comcept is handling this in the right way.

And thank god for this.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Really, if anything goes down it will be on the back-only forum, so let's try to ignore that terrible, terrible sub-board.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Our own Slowbeef had something to say about the whole matter, it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow---AaOIEo

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Dear lord, the comments. :negative:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Some people on /v/ are feeling pretty "betrayed" by Slowbeef. Good. I hope Keiji Inafune points out your stupidity next. And Gabe Newell. And Joel McHale. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

This is amazing.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

quakster posted:

Dear lord, the comments. :negative:
I shouldn't have scrolled down. I really shouldn't have.

:sigh:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I shouldn't have scrolled down. I really shouldn't have.

:sigh:

Its like they have a reason they don't like her, but they know that they can't use that for the reason, so they are stumbling to come up with anything to discredit her that they think the average person would consider valid.

1)She has never played a Mega Man game before
2)She is deleting twitter comments
3)She doesn't moderate the way I want her to!!!

I just saw that some goons posted: Dominic White, Ularg are the ones I have seen so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Its like they have a reason they don't like her, but they know that they can't use that for the reason, so they are stumbling to come up with anything to discredit her that they think the average person would consider valid.

1)She has never played a Mega Man game before
2)She is deleting twitter comments
3)She doesn't moderate the way I want her to!!!

I just saw that some goons posted: Dominic White, Ularg are the ones I have seen so far.

Don't forget that she got the job because she knew the right people!

Networking is okay to do if you're a guy but it's a lovely thing to do if you're a woman - a thing nerds believe