Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Interlude posted:

I'm tired of arguing with anti-vaccine people and just want to insult them as viciously as possible at this point. Any suggestions?

"Congratulations on being a child abuser."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

McDowell posted:

Just find pictures of polio/rubella/etc wards from the early 20th century.

Vaccines made smallpox obsolete, one of the few times that a virus has been eradicated (nearly) from the face of the earth

Tetanus vaccines prevent the rigid paralysis of the tetanus toxin, which manifests as all the muscles of the face being fully contracted in what's called rises sardonicus. The muscles of the back also fully contract, causing the patients persistent back arching and board-like stiffness.

Diptheria presents as a large neck swelling called a bull neck, which is due to inflammation to the bacteria colonizing the throat and producing toxins that cause damage to the heart and brain. Cases are basically unheard of now in the US due to vaccination, and the diphtheria toxin is used as a protein conjugate to produce other vaccines and ensure a strong immune response.

Haemophilus influenza type B caused many cases of bacterial meningitis, and more famously, epiglottitis. This kid looks okay in the image, but the flap covering her windpipe is so swollen that if she begins to cry or her throat is irritated that she will not be able to breath and could rapidly suffocate. It's now extremely uncommon for either of these presentations due to vaccination.

Measles and rubella cause a similar rash and high fever, which can cause febrile seizures. Measles can have complications like subacute sclerosing panencephalitis years after the initial infection, and this manifests as a profound mental decline and death. Most doctors have not seen a case due to vaccination, but that's changing recently.

Mumps causes infection and swelling of the parotid salivary gland. It also can infect the testicles and cause sterility.

Most people are familiar with the images of patients in iron lungs during polio outbreaks, but you don't see as many images of post-polio syndrome patients with their permanent disfigurements.

Most people have no clue what happened before vaccines for these diseases were widespread, so they don't really understand the consequences of their actions.

Laminator fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 12, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Snowman Crossing posted:

My dad sent me a text today that said "help me invest in bitcoins." I invest my money in stocks and I know nothing about precious metals or bitcoins or w/e. My dad is a 70-year-old retiree afraid that the dollar will drastically weaken. Is there any reason that bitcoins would mitigate his risk?

I found this http://www.whybitcoins.com/FAQ/ (I think written by a goon also) to be a pretty effective deterrent against a friend that said "Hey these bitcoin things are worth 1030 USD right now. Gradenko, you know how we could get in on that?"

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

gradenko_2000 posted:

I found this http://www.whybitcoins.com/FAQ/ (I think written by a goon also) to be a pretty effective deterrent against a friend that said "Hey these bitcoin things are worth 1030 USD right now. Gradenko, you know how we could get in on that?"

Yeah, Heresiarch wrote that for the GBS bitcoin thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543334&pagenumber=83&perpage=40#post414503521

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Interlude posted:

I'm tired of arguing with anti-vaccine people and just want to insult them as viciously as possible at this point. Any suggestions?

Tell them you hope they have fun killing/nearly killing and/or disfiguring children!
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2013/06/06/3776327.htm

Or they could get lucky and only make them endure months of agonizing pain!
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/apr/24/wish-my-daughter-vaccinated

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do you have more links (especially more academic-ish links)? I live in a really weird portion of Utah where there happens to be a few LDS libertarians, so I'd like some ammunition to take on their absurd Bitcoin claims.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
You might wanna NMS those. I mean I get what you're doing but man that shits depressing for people who do believe in vaccinations :smith:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gygaxian posted:

Do you have more links (especially more academic-ish links)? I live in a really weird portion of Utah where there happens to be a few LDS libertarians, so I'd like some ammunition to take on their absurd Bitcoin claims.

You might be able to dig up some salient points from the D&D bitcoin thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575754

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Gygaxian posted:

The problem here is that anything written by experts will be dismissed as biased :(

One of the most convincing posts against any regular person trying to play with bitcoins would have to be http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1bd1d1/
Tell the guys to read the OP and try to figure out why that guy lost 90 bitcoins. If they can't figure out what happened by themselves there's a 99% chance they'll lose their wallet either to hackers or to an accidental misclick.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

peak debt posted:

The problem here is that anything written by experts will be dismissed as biased :(

One of the most convincing posts against any regular person trying to play with bitcoins would have to be http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1bd1d1/
Tell the guys to read the OP and try to figure out why that guy lost 90 bitcoins. If they can't figure out what happened by themselves there's a 99% chance they'll lose their wallet either to hackers or to an accidental misclick.
DId he just accidentally delete them or :psyduck:

Any currency you can accidentally delete rather than lose and find in a jacket pocket four months down the road is just...wow.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Just look at any Bitcoin price chart, zoomed to any timescale. It can fluctuate in value by 50% in 24 hours. Leaving aside all the other ludicrous problems with the general principle and it's specific implementation, anyone who looks at that graph and says "sing me up" is a roaring loving idiot.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Any currency you can accidentally delete rather than lose and find in a jacket pocket four months down the road is just...wow.

That just means those Bitcoins are out of circulation, so the value on everyone else's goes up uP UP

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just look at any Bitcoin price chart, zoomed to any timescale. It can fluctuate in value by 50% in 24 hours. Leaving aside all the other ludicrous problems with the general principle and it's specific implementation, anyone who looks at that graph and says "sing me up" is a roaring loving idiot.

Yeah, here's the big three in a nutshell:

1- There is no recourse at all to recovering lost Bitcoins, whether it's from fraud, theft, or accidently forgetting your wallet password.

2- Bitcoin is beyond volatile, as already mentioned

3- Depending on where you live, there are very few, or maybe even no ways to convert BTC to actual legal tender. Especially at the "current" BTC value.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

He didn't know - or forgot about it - that most bitcoin applications, if they do a partial transaction from A to B, they will also transfer the remaining balance of A to a newly created wallet C.
So after the transaction he deleted the private key to C, thinking it wasn't important because his master wallet was A after all. Only A was empty afterwards and his remaining wealth is now in the equivalent of a locked safe at the bottom of the ocean.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
A good website for anti vaccine people is Jenny McCarthy Body Count, which lists the amount of people who died from diseases we have vaccines for. It's pretty stark, and also in the abstract the idea of Jenny McCarthy having a thousand plus death count is :black101: as gently caress.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Crackbone posted:

3- Depending on where you live, there are very few, or maybe even no ways to convert BTC to actual legal tender. Especially at the "current" BTC value.

An extension of that problem is that any real currency shouldn't require you to convert it first. There are a handful of places bitcoin works (And most of those just convert it to dollars themselves).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah but the KKK only exists because the race pimps forced white people to defend themselves :qq:

The moral is black and white.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Nenonen posted:

The moral is black and white.

I commend Spy vs. Spy for trying to tackle important issues, but the way they went about it...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Laminator posted:

Vaccines made smallpox obsolete, one of the few times that a virus has been eradicated (nearly) from the face of the earth

Tetanus vaccines prevent the rigid paralysis of the tetanus toxin, which manifests as all the muscles of the face being fully contracted in what's called rises sardonicus. The muscles of the back also fully contract, causing the patients persistent back arching and board-like stiffness.

Diptheria presents as a large neck swelling called a bull neck, which is due to inflammation to the bacteria colonizing the throat and producing toxins that cause damage to the heart and brain. Cases are basically unheard of now in the US due to vaccination, and the diphtheria toxin is used as a protein conjugate to produce other vaccines and ensure a strong immune response.

Haemophilus influenza type B caused many cases of bacterial meningitis, and more famously, epiglottitis. This kid looks okay in the image, but the flap covering her windpipe is so swollen that if she begins to cry or her throat is irritated that she will not be able to breath and could rapidly suffocate. It's now extremely uncommon for either of these presentations due to vaccination.

Measles and rubella cause a similar rash and high fever, which can cause febrile seizures. Measles can have complications like subacute sclerosing panencephalitis years after the initial infection, and this manifests as a profound mental decline and death. Most doctors have not seen a case due to vaccination, but that's changing recently.

Mumps causes infection and swelling of the parotid salivary gland. It also can infect the testicles and cause sterility.

Most people are familiar with the images of patients in iron lungs during polio outbreaks, but you don't see as many images of post-polio syndrome patients with their permanent disfigurements.

Most people have no clue what happened before vaccines for these diseases were widespread, so they don't really understand the consequences of their actions.

Someone needs to compile this into a webpage I can share.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

Swan Oat posted:

A good website for anti vaccine people is Jenny McCarthy Body Count, which lists the amount of people who died from diseases we have vaccines for. It's pretty stark, and also in the abstract the idea of Jenny McCarthy having a thousand plus death count is :black101: as gently caress.

There are also sites which have stories of those who have died from vaccine preventable illness. They are incredibly depressing to read and linking them will likely do more to alienate the intended recipient as opposed to win any arguments.

http://www.vaccineinformation.org/personal-testimonies

http://www.immunize.org/reports/

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
So lately I've had several people on facebook share various articles from dubious sources about all the homeless people in South Carolina currently being rounded up into :siren: FEMA CAMPS! :siren: Has anybody else encountered this particular Crazy Forward or have anything I can refute it with?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Deific Presence posted:

So lately I've had several people on facebook share various articles from dubious sources about all the homeless people in South Carolina currently being rounded up into :siren: FEMA CAMPS! :siren: Has anybody else encountered this particular Crazy Forward or have anything I can refute it with?

Refute it with the fact all those FEMA CAMPS people seem rather nonchalant about the fact the government is rounding up people to put into camps. If I thought the government was putting people into camps, possibly death camps, I'd probably like be illegally crossing into Canada.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Deific Presence posted:

As a guy living in Charleston, I have yet to see roving bands of FEMA thugs wandering menacingly through town. I'll keep an eye out just in case.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 13, 2013

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Deific Presence posted:

Nah it's an extension of a recent relatively controversial law proposed in Columbia to have police round up homeless people downtown and move them to shelters that were to be established outside the city limit. Dunno what became of it, but I don't believe anything actually passed.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I don't get the FEMA death camps thing. I almost understand the reasoning; fascist dictators (in this case, Obama) quelling dissent and exterminating undesirables via death camps, but don't secret death camps defeat the purpose? If the government wanted to kill people secretly, why not just take them out? When you also have to orchestrate a massive cover-up of your murders anyway, having to run the death camp just doesn't seem really efficient compared to "Let's stab this guy on his way home from work and make it look like a robbery."

Or is it good that I can't connect the dots, like a schizophrenia litmus test?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't get the FEMA death camps thing. I almost understand the reasoning; fascist dictators (in this case, Obama) quelling dissent and exterminating undesirables via death camps, but don't secret death camps defeat the purpose? If the government wanted to kill people secretly, why not just take them out? When you also have to orchestrate a massive cover-up of your murders anyway, having to run the death camp just doesn't seem really efficient compared to "Let's stab this guy on his way home from work and make it look like a robbery."

Hitler did it (and the USSR had gulags), so it's A Thing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mornacale posted:

Hitler did it (and the USSR had gulags), so it's A Thing.
Didn't Hitler do it under the pretense of imprisoning socially undesirable people to keep them away from society, and didn't make the whole mass extermination thing public?

If the :freep: and other :tinfoil:ers want to prevent death camps, prison reform would be a good place to start.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I'm assuming these are the same people, or similar people, who were mocking the government over healthcare.gov just a few weeks ago. The government can't build a website correctly, but they can orchestrate one of the most amazingly intricate and large conspiracies ever. It's that weird double-think that emerges when you villainize your enemies where you believe that a) they are devious, evil and always have a plan to hurt you and b) they are so useless and incompetent that they can't do anything right.

Also I thought homeless people are all for Obama because you know they're all on the drugs, they refuse to work, and many of them are black different from the average patriotic American. Are we sure these aren't FEMA camps that train them to be part of the Obamarmy? :tinfoil:

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I never imagined people would think the first x files movie was a documentary

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Holding someone indefinitely is a far simpler exercise for our government than going through the bureaucratic nightmare necessary to kill them, to wit, our current prison system.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 13, 2013

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Of all the things for the tinfoil types to finally develop some empathy about. It's like a horrible perversion of that Martin Niemöller quote:

First they deported the illegals--yeah, whatever.

Then they refused to expand Medicaid--gently caress you, got mine.

Then they cut SNAP benefits--too bad all those welfare queens drive BMWs and have nice nails.

But holy poo poo now FEMA is rounding up people I wouldn't ordinarily give a poo poo about at all. They're coming for me next! :tinfoil:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

In a conspiracy theory, you're always the main character!

Nathan Wind
Nov 10, 2003
starring NATHAN WIND as COCHESE
I just got tagged into this proving my uncle was correct and that there really is a war on Christmas. http://www.crazytruestories.com/school-cancels-christmas-toy-drive-under-legal-threat/
I just know he woke up this morning going ooh I finally got him with this one.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Nathan Wind posted:

I just got tagged into this proving my uncle was correct and that there really is a war on Christmas. http://www.crazytruestories.com/school-cancels-christmas-toy-drive-under-legal-threat/
My parents' church used to participate in this charity when I was a kid, and as far as I know they try to do good stuff. However, the Christmas shoebox thing has a lot of elements that are explicitly proslytizing. Bibles and other conversion-type literature are put in every box, and it's the kind of thing that really is problematic for a public school to be involved in.

In other words, the problem isn't that it's a Christmas/Christian charity; the problem is that this specific toy drive also contains an active attempt to convert the recipients to a specific religion, and it's completely understandable that non-Christian families might have a problem if that were their local school's charity drive of choice.

Edit: \/\/ His link explains it better than I did. I need more coffee.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 13, 2013

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Nathan Wind posted:

If you spend a minute googling it, turns out that the organization sends toys overseas and uses those gifts to proselytize evangelical Christianity.

Here's the American Humanist Association press release: http://americanhumanist.org/news/details/2013-11-south-carolina-elementary-school-asked-to-cut-ties-w

Just do fundraisers and poo poo for Toys for Tots or your local food bank, or even Oxfam, goddamn.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I'm curious how they'd react if a Muslim charity gave their kids a box of toys with a Quran and Muslim paraphernalia inside. Probably not well!

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm curious how they'd react if a Muslim charity gave their kids a box of toys with a Quran and Muslim paraphernalia inside. Probably not well!

That's completely different because Muslims want to kill us using their suicide bombs and Sharia law don't-cha-know.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Also this is a Christian nation not a Muslim nation why don't you brush up on the Holy Bill of Rights.

Nathan Wind
Nov 10, 2003
starring NATHAN WIND as COCHESE
Thank you guys so much. Usually my uncle and I are very polite almost joking about our political differences but this one definitely had an aha gotcha fucker vibe to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Nathan Wind posted:

I like how the "Crazy True Stories" website presents one or two brief paragraphs and a photo for each story, with zero sources or context. They want people to like their "Faces of Lawsuit Abuse" page on Facebook, but don't actually have a link to it, just a Like button.