Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

lags posted:

Same problem here.

Almost like it's a beta or something. If you want to help them out, report it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lags
Jan 3, 2004

For the record, I rebooted and pizza still did nothing, however when I typed "slice" the pizza emoji appeared, and now also does when I type pizza. :iiam: I am taking steps to try and duplicate the issue so I can report a meaningful problem instead of piling onto the unhelpful noise.

lags fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 12, 2013

Goddimus
Nov 27, 2000

On the subject of ebook readers - I have found that Fabrik was a great way to read on multiple devices with "whispersync" like capability. You are able to upload your ebooks to either dropbox or google drive and the program updates a file it creates there to keep track of your book positions. Occasionally I find that it doesn't update the position properly if I don't back out of the book but its pretty rare that it happens to me.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

So on my HTC One, the softkeys stay lit when using Moon+ Reader and watching Netflix or using the video player and it's moderately irritating. If I'm lazy and don't want to root or even mess with launchers if I don't need to, is there any way to turn the softkey leds off when using those apps?

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Does Out of Milk Pro Unlocker disable the ads? It doesn't say it does, which makes me suspicious. If I can't remove the ads I'll just use Mighty Grocery instead, which might be better for me anyway. I'll pay the extra $2 for no ads any day.

Also like, how do I get YouTube to continue playing videos in the background? And if there's not a way, is there a different youtube app that'll do it?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

Does Out of Milk Pro Unlocker disable the ads? It doesn't say it does, which makes me suspicious. If I can't remove the ads I'll just use Mighty Grocery instead, which might be better for me anyway. I'll pay the extra $2 for no ads any day.

Also like, how do I get YouTube to continue playing videos in the background? And if there's not a way, is there a different youtube app that'll do it?

There's no way for YouTube's app to play in the background, however there is a future update that will allow you to save videos for offline viewing for up to about 48 hours. Other than that, due to copyright holders whining, you're no longer able to do that.

I think they whined to Apple too and the YouTube app on iOS had that functionality removed as well. At least it was last I had my iPod touch in 2012.

As for Out of Milk, after having my Beta account upgraded to Pro for free back in I think 2009 or so, I never had ads.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 13, 2013

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Is there any way I can get my android to behave differently when on different networks?

I'm getting a wifi hotspot and 500MB/mo data plan for my car. I'd like to be able to check my email on that network, but I don't want my Nexus 7 to use up my plan downloading app updates while connected to that specific network..

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Juice Box Hero posted:

Is there any way I can get my android to behave differently when on different networks?

I'm getting a wifi hotspot and 500MB/mo data plan for my car. I'd like to be able to check my email on that network, but I don't want my Nexus 7 to use up my plan downloading app updates while connected to that specific network..

Settings > Data Usage. Under Settings tell it which of the networks you connect to are hotspots. Then go to high data apps in Data Usage and check off Restrict Background

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Benjamin Black posted:

And if there's not a way, is there a different youtube app that'll do it?

PVStar plays videos in the background.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I don't want notifications from Google Now about the weather, but I can't seem to turn off the notification without it no longer appearing when I open now. This changed a couple of updates ago, when they went to the "simpler" answer a few questions method. (I also don't particularly care about notifications for my drive time to and from work, but like being able to open it and glance.)

XIII fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 13, 2013

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is WidgetLocker just plain broken with the new Android release for anyone else?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 13, 2013

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for the best app, paid or not, that can stream 720p action movies from my server to my Nexus 7 with little/no problems. BSPlayer seems to choke on action sequences.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Over WiFi? MXPlayer can do 1080p easily, let alone 720p. Over Cellular, you'll prolly want Plex.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DemonMage posted:

Over WiFi? MXPlayer can do 1080p easily, let alone 720p. Over Cellular, you'll prolly want Plex.

Both MXPlayer and MXPlayer Pro tell me I have an unsupported Android version.

edit: I'm on 4.4.2 which is probably the problem. Also, it's a 2012 Nexus 7 but it should still be able to stream 720p with no problems I'd assume?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

So, I don't want notifications from Google Now about the weather, but I can't seem to turn off the notification without it no longer appearing when I open now. This changed a couple of updates ago, when they went to the "simpler" answer a few questions method. (I also don't particularly care about notifications for my drive time to and from work, but like being able to open it and glance.)
It seems you can't disable the weather notification without disabling the card now.
Why do you care though? It's easy enough to ignore.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Whizbang posted:

PVStar plays videos in the background.

Viral does it in a far less ugly package.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's no way for YouTube's app to play in the background, however there is a future update that will allow you to save videos for offline viewing for up to about 48 hours. Other than that, due to copyright holders whining, you're no longer able to do that.

There's supposed to be functionality in there for background play too, which could be tied into some premium subscription framework (like All Access for videos)
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...ound-listening/

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

It seems you can't disable the weather notification without disabling the card now.
Why do you care though? It's easy enough to ignore.

Because I'm a sperg about stuff in my notification tray. I really only want notifications from reminders I set through Now.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Is there anyway to upload pics to google drive directly that doesn't involve google+? Google drive's pricing is the best I've found but I hate managing my pics via picasa or plus. I love how Dropbox works but they offer half the storage for twice the price.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Viral does it in a far less ugly package.

This looks great, I can't believe the stock youtube app doesn't have all these features.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Horn posted:

Is there anyway to upload pics to google drive directly that doesn't involve google+? Google drive's pricing is the best I've found but I hate managing my pics via picasa or plus. I love how Dropbox works but they offer half the storage for twice the price.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gallery.drive.sync.pro

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Perfect, thanks for this.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

GobiasIndustries posted:

Both MXPlayer and MXPlayer Pro tell me I have an unsupported Android version.

edit: I'm on 4.4.2 which is probably the problem. Also, it's a 2012 Nexus 7 but it should still be able to stream 720p with no problems I'd assume?

Try Dice player until they update MXPlayer.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

actionjackson posted:

Is WidgetLocker just plain broken with the new Android release for anyone else?

Yes, it asks if I want to open it in Chrome or the Play Store and neither works. Just opens the store page for it.

e: Nexus 7 2013 with 4.4.2

Jervas Dudley fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 13, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

regulargonzalez posted:

So on my HTC One, the softkeys stay lit when using Moon+ Reader and watching Netflix or using the video player and it's moderately irritating. If I'm lazy and don't want to root or even mess with launchers if I don't need to, is there any way to turn the softkey leds off when using those apps?

Quoting myself on the offchance that there is a legit answer to this

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Is there an app or mod that will let me boost the volume output on my note 2? I am a truck driver and use an aux cable to listen to podcasts in my truck, but certain casts I just cant hear over the exhaust and road noise.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I know the new JB broke the exploit that apps were using to boost volume but try Volume +

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Benjamin Black posted:

I'm not seeing any ads with my pro version of OOM.

Since it's on XDA, i'm assuming this is okay:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2447757
Lets you play youtube videos in the background

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
After copious amounts of research, I've redone a few core apps on my S4 to make everything consistent with Jelly Bean style interfaces. drat is my phone pretty now.

Music Player: Shuttle+. I'd been a PlayerPro advocate for a long time, but this has everything PlayerPro had, in addition to a non-ugly theme and better tagging support (hey, my Various Artist compilations don't destroy my artist lists!).

SMS/MMS: Sliding Messaging Pro. I've used stock messaging, 8sms, Go messaging, and Hangouts, but this one is easily the best. It has a nice "Cards UI" to make it resemble Google Now, LED customization support, pretty yet mature theming capabilities, and the quick-reply is second to none.

Keyboard: Kii Keyboard. We were arguing about how lovely SwiftKey's themes were not too long ago, and this solves that. Autocorrection is on par with Swiftkey, although it can't learn from Facebook or email. Customization blows Swiftkey out of the water. Swype is not bad but I'm a tapper so whatever. The D-Pad is amazing. Plus, theming support, and this fellow has quite a few good ones.

Hope this helps some folks.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 13, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Quoting myself on the offchance that there is a legit answer to this
No, that won't be possible without some kind of hackery.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Settings > Data Usage. Under Settings tell it which of the networks you connect to are hotspots. Then go to high data apps in Data Usage and check off Restrict Background

Awesome! Thank you.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What's the current Hot poo poo in launchers? I just got a new phone and I wanna kit it out. I got this SmartLauncher thing and it's neat I guess but I like cluttering the poo poo out of my main screen with widgets and this only lets you have one.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

f#a# posted:

After copious amounts of research, I've redone a few core apps on my S4 to make everything consistent with Jelly Bean style interfaces. drat is my phone pretty now.

Music Player: Shuttle+. I'd been a PlayerPro advocate for a long time, but this has everything PlayerPro had, in addition to a non-ugly theme and better tagging support (hey, my Various Artist compilations don't destroy my artist lists!).

Shuttle is pretty awesome. I'm using it while waiting for Neutron player to unfuck itself over the 4.4 update.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
I suspect this is a no but Google seems to be a little non-helpful but is there a way to disable my power button completely? My phones power button seems to be intermittently sending signals to my phone causing it to restart, in lieu of me replacing the power button is there anyway to disable it without rooting the phone? I could pull the phone apart and remove the power button, in which case my question changes to is there a way to completely make the volume buttons replace the power buttons for functionality, importantly including start up?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

signalnoise posted:

What's the current Hot poo poo in launchers? I just got a new phone and I wanna kit it out. I got this SmartLauncher thing and it's neat I guess but I like cluttering the poo poo out of my main screen with widgets and this only lets you have one.

I've really been liking Action Launcher.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I love Action Launcher more than I love my parents.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

UnquietDream posted:

I suspect this is a no but Google seems to be a little non-helpful but is there a way to disable my power button completely? My phones power button seems to be intermittently sending signals to my phone causing it to restart, in lieu of me replacing the power button is there anyway to disable it without rooting the phone? I could pull the phone apart and remove the power button, in which case my question changes to is there a way to completely make the volume buttons replace the power buttons for functionality, importantly including start up?

What makes you think it's the power button doing it? Does it randomly turn the screen on and off too? What about the long-press menu?

If you're not seeing those things I'd assume it's some hardware or software failure causing a hard reset, instead of normal behaviour reacting to a mechanical fault

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

baka kaba posted:

What makes you think it's the power button doing it? Does it randomly turn the screen on and off too? What about the long-press menu?

If you're not seeing those things I'd assume it's some hardware or software failure causing a hard reset, instead of normal behaviour reacting to a mechanical fault

Seconding this. I'd say it's more likely that a critical service is either stopping unexpectedly or taking a very long time to respond. Most phones have a hardware or low-level watchdog timer which will reboot the device if it gets to zero, and one of the things the operating system does is constantly reset this timer. Service failure can cause the resets to stop and the timer to expire, rebooting the phone - this is the intended behavior.

Before blaming hardware failure I'd try doing a factory reset and ensure you're running the latest firmware for your phone. After that try running it with bare minimum apps installed for a few days to see if it behaves itself.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

signalnoise posted:

I like Aviate a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Gonna have to chime in on Action Launcher as well. Saw it posted a couple pages ago and checked it out and immediately bought it. Definitely an awesome intuitive launcher (Coming from nova).

How do I direct shuttle to a directory of music on my tablet? It shows some MP3s I have on it and I can open individual ones up with it....do I have to get the paid version?

• Locked thread