Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Mandalay posted:

What heat gun are you using that makes you wax all lyrical? Just the $20 wagner?

That one works well for me.

And anyone who wants a cheap fluid bed autoroaster just hook your Wagner onto your stand mixer. It's the only way I bother roasting anymore. Although I've been thinking about making a mount with a heat shield so I can attach three heat guns 120° apart to speed up the roast. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mandalay posted:

What heat gun are you using that makes you wax all lyrical? Just the $20 wagner?

Yep. Another thing to keep in mind is to size the bowl to what you'll be roasting. Too big a bowl and you risk too much heat escaping and under roasting. I think I use a 64oz for a half pound.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Google Butt posted:

Yep. Another thing to keep in mind is to size the bowl to what you'll be roasting. Too big a bowl and you risk too much heat escaping and under roasting. I think I use a 64oz for a half pound.

Also pre-heat the bowl.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Mandalay posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Power-Products-503008-200-Watt/dp/B00004TUCV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355445858&sr=8-1&keywords=wagner+heat+gun

Hollis Brown posted:

Also pre-heat the bowl.

Do you really find this necessary? I use a 2 quart to do my batches and that thing gets up to gently caress-off levels of hot within about 30 seconds when I start a batch.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'm going to be on the road soon (US, east coast) and I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on gas stations. Are there any particular places that are known for serving unusually good coffee?

This doesn't give me much hope: http://gasstationcoffee.tumblr.com/

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm going to be on the road soon (US, east coast) and I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on gas stations. Are there any particular places that are known for serving unusually good coffee?

When I drove from Texas to New York I just bought a growler full of iced coffee from a local coffee shop and ordered a cup of ice from the nearest lovely fast food joint whenever I wanted to have a cup. If you care about coffee at all this is the easiest way to make sure that you get a proper cup every time.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Gaspy Conana posted:

IMO Wawa, Pilot, and Sheetz (in that order) have pretty decent coffee. As in, decent for gas station coffee.

e: And they are pretty consistent from store to store, which is nice.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 13, 2013

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Alleric posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Power-Products-503008-200-Watt/dp/B00004TUCV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355445858&sr=8-1&keywords=wagner+heat+gun

Do you really find this necessary? I use a 2 quart to do my batches and that thing gets up to gently caress-off levels of hot within about 30 seconds when I start a batch.

I started having more success (~10min roasts) when I started doing it, but I guess it could have been a combination of factors. You're right though it only takes a minute to get the bowl nice and hot. C'mon though, coffee people love preheating things. Gotta preheat the press or dripper, gotta flush the 'spro machine, therefore must preheat the dogbowl.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
It's basically coffee foreplay. You gotta get things ready first so you can have better coffee.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I'm looking forward to trying some of the Verve Gesha tomorrow. I completely missed out on this last year when my local place had it (for one day).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

More commonly wet-processed, coffees from the Yirgacheffe region in southern Ethiopia tend to be elegant, floral and reminiscent of sweet, ripe Meyer lemons. Tasting them is a bit like eavesdropping on a conversation between a cluster of erudite librarians – each one humbly perspicacious, each one patiently awaiting her turn to contribute deeply-considered opinions. Things get a little more psychedelic when Yirgacheffes are dry-processed, as is the case with this one from Konga Sedie. After a scrupulous quality inspection, cherry is laid out on raised beds for a period of two to three weeks. Once the husks are pulled away, the floral refinement remains intact, though it’s striped with strawberry, orange peel and peach hard candy. You’re left with something both sophisticated and delectably unpredictable – a coffee that’s well-read but surprisingly enthusiastic when it's time to tear off the spectacles, roll up the sleeves and whack open the piñata, spilling Jolly Ranchers all over the lawn.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

More commonly wet-processed, coffees from the Yirgacheffe region in southern Ethiopia tend to be elegant, floral and reminiscent of sweet, ripe Meyer lemons. Tasting them is a bit like eavesdropping on a conversation between a cluster of erudite librarians – each one humbly perspicacious, each one patiently awaiting her turn to contribute deeply-considered opinions. Things get a little more psychedelic when Yirgacheffes are dry-processed, as is the case with this one from Konga Sedie. After a scrupulous quality inspection, cherry is laid out on raised beds for a period of two to three weeks. Once the husks are pulled away, the floral refinement remains intact, though it’s striped with strawberry, orange peel and peach hard candy. You’re left with something both sophisticated and delectably unpredictable – a coffee that’s well-read but surprisingly enthusiastic when it's time to tear off the spectacles, roll up the sleeves and whack open the piñata, spilling Jolly Ranchers all over the lawn.

I dig this so much. What a goony well written love letter to Ethiopian coffee.
Ive currently drinking an Ethiopian Konga and am loving it.

Want to mention, and I know were all home roasters here, that I'm selling a Konga in the SA mart with free shipping right now.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Man, that's cool. I'll give your beans a shot after I finish these Ethiopia Kilenso beans from Coava. Where are you located? If I can pick them up locally that's even better.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mandalay posted:

Man, that's cool. I'll give your beans a shot after I finish these Ethiopia Kilenso beans from Coava. Where are you located? If I can pick them up locally that's even better.

We're in Philadelphia but am shipping for free for now. And it's just for goons. I've never tried Coava but know of them though the left coast book. I can't lie, I'm just a home roaster trying to make something happen but would be honored if you tried it.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

MasterControl posted:

We're in Philadelphia but am shipping for free for now. And it's just for goons. I've never tried Coava but know of them though the left coast book. I can't lie, I'm just a home roaster trying to make something happen but would be honored if you tried it.

Will definitely give your stuff a try. Just ordered some Brazilian Deterra and Eth. Yirgacheffe from a local roaster but after that it's :goonrush:

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Weekend roasting bender complete. 2 lbs Guatemalan (one gift, one for us this week), 1 lb Ethiopian (gift) and 1 lb Sumatran (gift). The Guatemalan and Sumatran were both wet process, which I find more... annoying... to roast, but the Sumatran especially smelled absolutely awesome. I have a pound of it to do up for myself after the first of the year. Looking forward to it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I only started drinking coffee in the last year, and have a shameful confession that I drink and enjoy k-cup coffee. However I just got an aeropress today and some fresh ground beans (this stuff) to see what better coffee was like, and oh drat is it delicious. I was a little worried with my first aeropress drink that it was too watery, but after it cooled a bit I really started to enjoy how clear the coffee tasted compared to the k cup stuff I normally drink. I was really surprised that I didn't even need to add sugar to the coffee, just straight black was fantastic.

So now I'm an aeropress convert and am curious, what whole bean coffees are worth trying next? I like dark, bold stuff that I usually drink with one splenda packet.

edit: Lol, I've had 3 cups of coffee from the aeropress in the last couple hours. Maybe I should put it away now...

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 17, 2013

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Mu Zeta posted:

I just started drinking coffee a few months ago, and recently had a pour-over Yirgacheffe from a local roaster/coffee shop. I wish I could have tasted any of these things that are listed here, because I definitely didn't. I suppose I need to develop my palate.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 17, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want to give the author a wet-processed fart in the face.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

I just started drinking coffee a few months ago, and recently had a pour-over Yirgacheffe from a local roaster/coffee shop. I wish I could have tasted any of these things that are listed here, because I definitely didn't. I suppose I need to develop my palate.

To me, Yirgacheffe tends to be a region where there is a lot of variance in the beans. I've liked everything I've had from there, but I've had quite a variety of flavors, some even at the same roaster (they did tell me they were different beans though).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

VERTiG0 posted:

I think a lot of the tasting notes is like wine: complete bullshit.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I've actually had an ethiopian yirgacheffe from Gimme Coffee with the tasting note "willy wonka." And I swear to god I tasted it. That was a wild bag of beans.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think a lot of the tasting notes is like wine: complete bullshit.

loving thank you. I never understood wine notes or cigar notes or any other poo poo, and I tried-I really tried. I did research on it, bought bottles of the stuff, made sure it was aerated and everything, and I never got it. Then I saw the same drat stuff when I got into coffee.

Someone here explained it best, I think. Those notes are just what that person attributes the taste to at that time, or what it reminds them of. I remember reading some delicious notes about wine and coffee, but it pissed me off because I couldn't taste it. Turns out, to me at least, it's just a very general description of things you might taste in it.

Now things like brightness, acidity, mouthfeel-those make more sense to me.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

nwin posted:

Someone here explained it best, I think. Those notes are just what that person attributes the taste to at that time, or what it reminds them of. I remember reading some delicious notes about wine and coffee, but it pissed me off because I couldn't taste it. Turns out, to me at least, it's just a very general description of things you might taste in it.

Nose/palate notes are definitely personal and are often hints of something rather than full on, in your face replicas of what you're describing. It's not bullshit, but the quality of the drink can make it more or less tangible. When you're paying a premium for coffee or wine, you can extend your enjoyment of them to justify the price by looking for these descriptions.

The formal characteristics that you mention definitely should be given by the assessor. It's readily understandable and lets you quickly know if it's the sort of thing your looking for.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

nwin posted:

loving thank you. I never understood wine notes or cigar notes or any other poo poo, and I tried-I really tried. I did research on it, bought bottles of the stuff, made sure it was aerated and everything, and I never got it. Then I saw the same drat stuff when I got into coffee.

I vary rarely pick up any specific things that get mentioned, but terms like citrus, floral or earthy I think are good words to start with that are more general. Every now and then I pick up something really specific though. I just had a yirgacheffe the other week that tasted like honest to god blueberries. I would have sworn it was flavored it was that strong.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

rockcity posted:

I vary rarely pick up any specific things that get mentioned, but terms like citrus, floral or earthy I think are good words to start with that are more general. Every now and then I pick up something really specific though. I just had a yirgacheffe the other week that tasted like honest to god blueberries. I would have sworn it was flavored it was that strong.

At first I'd go to coffee cuppings and people would say they tasted things like slightly overripe avocado with an underlying hint of a wine bottle cork from a vintage merlot. I'd be like "Uhhhh gently caress you." Now that I've tasted a lot of coffee I've learned to pick up on some hints of flavor myself, and I've tried getting really specific but it doesn't always happen. But it does take concentration and practice without obsession. I find it helpful to not try too hard and just see what pops in my mind. If I think "fruity" then I try to think - well, what kind of fruit? Stone fruit. Sweet. A ripe apricot.

Like I said, doesn't always happen.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
People are mostly just making poo poo up when they say stuff like that.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

withak posted:

People are mostly just making poo poo up when they say stuff like that.

It happens a lot for me and i'm definitely not one to bother bullshitting. I'll be drinking coffee/wine/beer and it will just stike my brain "man this sorta reminds me of clementines" or on the depressing end "poo poo this tastes like the smell of burnt rubber" and ill have to gulp it down and never drink it again. It happens a lot with beer and wine for me. Coffee is a lot rarer.

Drinking Caffe Vita's Sumatra and it just tastes like a pleasant coffee though! Smooth but i'm definitely not getting any specific notes.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 18, 2013

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Your tastebuds are yours.
Your brain is yours.
Your memory is yours.
Your perception is yours.
Your evaluation is yours.
Your like is yours.
Your dislike is yours.

Coffee tastes like coffee. Each varietal, each blend, each roast, each preparation tastes like it does. A generic, empirical statement? Yep.

How you will perceive it is absolutely different than how anyone else will. Anyone talking about the hints of other flavors is representing their perception, their evaluation, through their tastebuds, their mind, referencing their memory. And either they like it or they don't. Same as you.

Is it horseshit? Some of it. I find I have a very low tolerance for people who ramble for 10-20 minutes about the intricacies of a particular bean through a particular preparation, etc. Maybe its the limitations of my meager intellect, but I cannot fathom how one can speak at length of the intimate details of THIS bean through THIS roast using THIS preparation like it is THE pinnacle.

Anyway, without going into a full-on rant, this is how I look at it:

It's coffee. You drink it. It tastes like coffee. You like it, or you don't.

Once that's been established, you can then ask why YOU did or didn't dig it. That's all that matters.

Any of the flavor hints are to be taken very... very lightly. You're talking about the triggering of very specific neurological pathways in the brain when you talk about taste and smell. Some of these may have ZERO to do with what's in the coffee and much more to do with who is drinking it.

That being said, they can be useful if you find that your perceptions commonly align with those of someone who is in a position to provide you a qualitative description of a bean or prep. That just comes with your time and your experience. For me I find the Sweet Marias folks generate some pretty glowing write-ups of their beans... that for the most part mean "jack" and "poo poo" to me. However, I've learned how to interpret it for the most part, and basically unless they say that one of the flavor hints is just overt, insane, powerful, chances are I'm not going to sense it. And on the flip side, if they say a bean has a powerful sense of <insert flavor thing here>, I will taste SOMETHING overt, but I may not evaluate it as the same thing. But I kind of know from experience now what code words to look for in the write ups from a given country and get a pretty good sense of what I'm ordering. There's some hit and miss, mostly hit.

It's just the understanding that what you like is what you like, and why you like it is why you like it. And that holds true for everyone.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The bullshit is when you write about coffee flavors like this guy, not what you notice while you're enjoying it.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

I often wonder about roasters who really dark roast their beans such as well into the second crack and then write out a list of flavors.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
"Tastes like burnt assholes."

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

I just got my 10 cup chemex

What ratio are you guys finding works well for 10 cups?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

MasterControl posted:

I often wonder about roasters who really dark roast their beans such as well into the second crack and then write out a list of flavors.

Some people I worked with over the summer did a tasting of one of these.

"Cancer", "burning", and "blackened plastic" were common notes :v:

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

shizen posted:

I just got my 10 cup chemex

What ratio are you guys finding works well for 10 cups?

Is the definition of a Chemex "cup" 4 ounces or 6 or what? I do 10g per 6 ounces in my press, but no clue how that translates to Chemex. Maybe try that ratio and adjust?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
4 ounces is standard for coffee gear. If in doubt, check how many ounces it is

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Alleric posted:

Is the definition of a Chemex "cup" 4 ounces or 6 or what? I do 10g per 6 ounces in my press, but no clue how that translates to Chemex. Maybe try that ratio and adjust?

Yeah I looked up the ratio from sweet maria and they suggest 8 grams to 5 ounces which worked fine but I might try what your saying 10grams per 5-6 ounces instead since I like stronger blends. I really like this device though I had the clever dripper for a while but its nice to have more coffee once in a while plus when people are over to make a decent batch.

As far as sweet maria there roasted coffee is always out of stock do I have to wait to order the day its made to actually try it out?

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

shizen posted:

Yeah I looked up the ratio from sweet maria and they suggest 8 grams to 5 ounces which worked fine but I might try what your saying 10grams per 5-6 ounces instead since I like stronger blends. I really like this device though I had the clever dripper for a while but its nice to have more coffee once in a while plus when people are over to make a decent batch.

As far as sweet maria there roasted coffee is always out of stock do I have to wait to order the day its made to actually try it out?

If you have the time, the process isn't hard at all. Just go whole-hog and roast your own? :)

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Alleric posted:

If you have the time, the process isn't hard at all. Just go whole-hog and roast your own? :)

I am saving up for a drum roast machine before I do, but its something I do want to try. Right now I live pretty close to a local roaster who roasts south american coffee that I like.

Off topic but I found this coffee story interesting

http://io9.com/the-cursed-coffee-experiment-1484741031

King of sweeden tried to have a guy killed by drinking 3 pots of coffee a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Dbhg is so cheap though...