Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

abagofcheetos posted:

Actually, the Dreamcast owned and will probably end up with more, better games than the Wii U.

Dreamcast still has a large hobbyist following and games being made. Strumwind came out this year and was a really great shump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Ka0 posted:

Other than playing wind waker at high resolutions I can't think of any reason to plonk down the cash for a U. The dreamcast had stellar games at launch and through its lifetime. It's unfair to compare them.

I'm part of the worst demographic to make money from with your video game console but two exclusive Platinum Games games was enough to do it for me. Also I have dreams about Nintendo getting Treasure to make another exclusive for them. That Sin and Punishment Star Successor on the Wii ohhhhh my weiner

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Ka0 posted:

Other than playing wind waker at high resolutions I can't think of any reason to plonk down the cash for a U. The dreamcast had stellar games at launch and through its lifetime. It's unfair to compare them.

Two very good Mario games and Pikmin 3. Lego City was very enjoyable as well. Honestly, I don't think anyone saying that the Wii U doesn't have anything interesting out yet is going to like the system much five years from now. Nintendo needs to get the costs down and people will start buying it, much like the 3ds.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

ghostwritingduck posted:

Two very good Mario games and Pikmin 3. Lego City was very enjoyable as well. Honestly, I don't think anyone saying that the Wii U doesn't have anything interesting out yet is going to like the system much five years from now. Nintendo needs to get the costs down and people will start buying it, much like the 3ds.

I really don't see NSMBU as something worth buying the system for, or that this is something that could be argued. It's pretty polished and the gamepad features can be fun but if it was released as a DLC pack for NSMBWii then there would be no significant difference. NSMB is starting to make me quite nuseaus to be honest.

It's debtable as to whether the WU's library makes it worth purchasing even considering the total of good games it has.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Why would anyone point to NSMBU as a system seller now that SM3DW is out? As for whether it's worth it, I think it's less 'debatable' and more that it simply comes down to personal preference. If not Wii U what would you do with that money? There has been a crazy number of good games this year released on every platform so it's not like we're wanting for choice.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Eh. The good games on the WiiU are pretty hit and miss for most people. If you laid out a list of the good ones, most people could probably find 2-3 that they'd really like to play. For instance- I know somebody who got the WiiU pretty much only because because of Pikmin 3. I always said Smash Bros. would do it to me, but I was also kind of assuming that by then there would be a more robust library. And now, since that isn't likely to change, finding friends to play Smash with will be pretty hard. I'm sure as hell not dropping $150 on pro controllers for couch-play, and using the Wii-mote with Smash is like pulling teeth. I guess there's a gamecube port for the Wiimote you can get but :effort:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Chaltab posted:

As for whether it's worth it, I think it's less 'debatable' and more that it simply comes down to personal preference. If not Wii U what would you do with that money?

Of course, but I was speaking in reference to the culminative quality of the library to the extent that it can be evaluated objectively or by consensus.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Welp looks like the only thing pressing is to finish Monster Hunter 3U's online stuff before they probably disconnect it.

The one bright spot is that the Virtual Boy is no longer Nintendo's most bastard child.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

zenintrude posted:

Or any 3DS game.

I thought the 3D added a ton to the platforming in Mario 3D Land.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Someone already did :eng101:

Please rename thread "Is the Wii U the next Dreamcast?"

I still say this thing is following the Saturn. Any way we can get month on month comparisons for that, or is that asking too much?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I think the Dreamcast comparison may be more apt than anyone thinks because that controller also had a display on it.

Maybe I'm just curling up in my denial, but I am sure the Wii U will become more competitive and popular with time. Is Nintendo making a profit on the hardware sales? I know Sony/Microsoft are taking a loss on theirs.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hubris.height posted:

Is Nintendo making a profit on the hardware sales?

They aren't though I don't think they said how many games you have to buy for them to break even. Or maybe they did and I forgot.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They aren't though I don't think they said how many games you have to buy for them to break even. Or maybe they did and I forgot.

They turn a profit if you buy one game, but I mean in practical terms no one is going to buy a WiiU and not buy any games.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
What is the games for profit on the other consoles currently? Or is it less consistent because they aren't developing/publishing their own games?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Zack_Gochuck posted:

They turn a profit if you buy one game, but I mean in practical terms no one is going to buy a WiiU and not buy any games.

They said they almost made a profit from selling the console and one game at launch when they were charging $50 more for the console.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

AngryCaterpillar posted:

They said they almost made a profit from selling the console and one game at launch when they were charging $50 more for the console.

No they did not:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/11/21/wii-u-becomes-profitable-after-one-games-sale

*Edit* Actually, it does turn out Reggie retracted that statement. That is really weird.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 13, 2013

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Reggie did say that, but Nintendo had to retract his statement, saying it was untrue, and that was at launch when you had the basic $300/deluxe $350 pricing. They wouldn't say how many games were needed to break even, only "more than 1". With the price cut, that number has likely increased.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

That was retracted and corrected. I think the exact quote was 'more than one' game makes it to break even. Besides that was at launch price.

Like I posted before, the game sales are high enough they're clearly making money on consoles sold, but breaking even on hardware is not close to breaking even on the console overall.

The 3DS being ~flat YOY in America isn't great news for Nintendo with the 2DS, Zelda and Pokemon all pushing sales there. Probably not helped by the two new consoles launching, if you assume they affect the same markets.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

hubris.height posted:

I think the Dreamcast comparison may be more apt than anyone thinks because that controller also had a display on it.

Maybe I'm just curling up in my denial, but I am sure the Wii U will become more competitive and popular with time. Is Nintendo making a profit on the hardware sales? I know Sony/Microsoft are taking a loss on theirs.

You are curling up in denial. The Dreamcast had an actual release schedule, the Wii U just had months and months of waiting time in between major releases.

Not only that Sega had the decency to lower a good number of their first party titles to 20 bucks.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

The Taint Reaper posted:

You are curling up in denial. The Dreamcast had an actual release schedule, the Wii U just had months and months of waiting time in between major releases.

This is what is was like to be a Nintendo fan in 1998.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Edmund Honda posted:

That was retracted and corrected. I think the exact quote was 'more than one' game makes it to break even. Besides that was at launch price.

Like I posted before, the game sales are high enough they're clearly making money on consoles sold, but breaking even on hardware is not close to breaking even on the console overall.

The 3DS being ~flat YOY in America isn't great news for Nintendo with the 2DS, Zelda and Pokemon all pushing sales there. Probably not helped by the two new consoles launching, if you assume they affect the same markets.

Here is the redaction:

quote:

SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT (publ. 11/25/2012, pg. A2)
In a story about Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime, Fils-Aime incorrectly said that Nintendo makes a profit on the Wii U console after consumers buy one piece of software. The number is more than one, but the company declined to say the exact number.

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_22013695

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Zack_Gochuck posted:

What a coincidence, that is the last time I was a Nintendo fan before buying the Wii U.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Zack_Gochuck posted:

It's what it's like being a Nintendo fan every handheld/console cycle. Gamecube, DS, Wii and 3DS all had horrid dry spells and the WiiU seems like it's taking the record for being the dryest.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
The Wii U does have a fairly good (i.e. high) attach rate though from what I've heard.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
So okay let's just say that the Wii U turns out to be the Saturn/Lynx/3D0 exactly; like nothing different between the two just exactly the same all prophetic-like.

What do we win?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Oh, we're talking about the Dreamcast in here now?

Everyone should own a Dreamcast or six. They are pretty cheap to collect for and the library is full of weird and wonderful things.

How can you not want to fill your house with this stuff?

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
Let's do this let's make this the Wii D (D for Dreamcast) thread now.

Gonna gin up a comparison of similarities between the two systems like that stupid loving Lincoln/JFK poster; it'll blow your loving minds.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Let's do this let's make this the Wii D (D for Dreamcast) thread now.

Gonna gin up a comparison of similarities between the two systems like that stupid loving Lincoln/JFK poster; it'll blow your loving minds.

Both have a visual peripheral in the controller that was underused and provided gameplay while away from the console.

Both of them were white.

Both of them had amazing and unique games

I'm out.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Louisgod posted:

Gamecube, DS, Wii and 3DS all had horrid dry spells and the WiiU seems like it's taking the record for being the dryest.

Yeah this is really what's blowing my mind right about now. I don't really care about Mario Kart after playing the insanely bland Wii one (I actually think Double Dash was a much stronger title). I like Smash Bros but the new one looks like it will be largely identical to the last one, except in HD, with a few new characters and a few characters missing. So yep, it looks like there's nothing I'll be excited about until maybe 2015.

By this point in the console's lifespan, there should be something big at least on the horizon.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Nintendo needs to just farm more of its titles out to 3rd party devs, for better or worse, to keep a steady flow of games. Everyone is gonna point to "Other M" as an example on why not to but gently caress it, go butts to nuts Nintendo. Hell even give indie devs a shot.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Polo-Rican posted:

By this point in the console's lifespan, there should be something big at least on the horizon.

Standard answer: X

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Nintendo needs to just farm more of its titles out to 3rd party devs, for better or worse, to keep a steady flow of games. Everyone is gonna point to "Other M" as an example on why not to but gently caress it, go butts to nuts Nintendo. Hell even give indie devs a shot.

This worked out with Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, it can certainly work with Wii U games

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think they have a problem with game quality, their games are just fine. I think the game console market is just shrinking/maturing, and there doesn't seem to be room for a third console, especially when they are so comically terrible at getting third party support / the internet. Not only do they not seem to have any idea what market they want to compete in, I'm not even sure there is a market besides the one that MS and Sony are currently beating the poo poo out of each other in. Maybe they can make one, I don't know.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 13, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

A lot of Other M's mechanical flaws were impositions by Sakamoto. The missile point at the screen and stop moving garbage was something he wanted if I remember correctly.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

icantfindaname posted:

I don't think they have a problem with game quality, their games are just fine. I think the game console market is just shrinking/maturing, and there doesn't seem to be room for a third console, especially when they are so comically terrible at getting third party support. There really isn't a market for 'cheap budget console', at least not right now. Maybe they can carve out a niche, I don't know.

It's not an issue of quality, it's an issue of volume... they must find a way to be able to put out more games on their system, even if this involves having 3rd parties make games using their franchises.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Barudak posted:

A lot of Other M's mechanical flaws were impositions by Sakamoto. The missile point at the screen and stop moving garbage was something he wanted if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I actually thought Other M had a lot of cool potential that wound up being wasted, so to me Other M is an argument in favor of let other people work with Nintendo franchises, and then let them to their thing.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

zenintrude posted:

Standard answer: X

Bayonetta 2 as well, honestly.

I'm also hoping that Persona 5 will get a port to the WiiU but we'll see I guess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NeilPerry posted:

Bayonetta 2 as well, honestly.

I'm also hoping that Persona 5 will get a port to the WiiU but we'll see I guess.

I would so highly doubt that Persona 5 goes to the WiiU its almost laughable.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

NeilPerry posted:

You might as well hope for cancer to go away overnight.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Barudak posted:

I would so highly doubt that Persona 5 goes to the WiiU its almost laughable.

I could see this possibly happening, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Is Nintendo still operating on the "one game a year per company" policy from back in the days of trying to stop shovelware on the NES or something? Why is there trouble getting developers to make games on the system (other than EA's "its garbage for babbys and is awful" statements)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
But isn't Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem coming out on WiiU?

• Locked thread