Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah but Persona has been an exclusive property to sony systems aside from spinoffs like Arena and the upcoming Q, and a PC port of 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hubris.height posted:

Is Nintendo still operating on the "one game a year per company" policy from back in the days of trying to stop shovelware on the NES or something? Why is there trouble getting developers to make games on the system (other than EA's "its garbage for babbys and is awful" statements)?

The limit was five but a few games worked around that through spin-off companies (like Acclaim and LJN). No one's making games for it because porting is crazy-expensive and not worth it; you will only sell it to people who have a Wii-U and no other console, which is a tiny minority of people and nowhere near enough to justify the cost of porting.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

hubris.height posted:

Why is there trouble getting developers to make games on the system (other than EA's "its garbage for babbys and is awful" statements)?

There is a pretty significant backlog of indie titles that will be coming out for the Wii U. They just have to be completed first.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NeilPerry posted:

But isn't Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem coming out on WiiU?

We've not heard anything else about it but probably. Nintendo is almost assuredly fronting a lot of money to get that made because Atlus isn't even after being bought out the sort of company that can afford to release its titles on a system like the WiiU.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

univbee posted:

The limit was five but a few games worked around that through spin-off companies (like Acclaim and LJN). No one's making games for it because porting is crazy-expensive and not worth it; you will only sell it to people who have a Wii-U and no other console, which is a tiny minority of people and nowhere near enough to justify the cost of porting.

The Wii U port of AC4 is so bad I don't understand how something like that can be allowed to release to market. If your game is running at 20-24 fps consistently it might as well be unplayable.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah but Persona has been an exclusive property to sony systems aside from spinoffs like Arena and the upcoming Q, and a PC port of 1.

That's because it's a title made primarily for the Japanese market and Sony has been the market leader there for the lifespan of the series. The same reason why most JRPGs are only on the PS3.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Equilibrium posted:

The Wii U port of AC4 is so bad I don't understand how something like that can be allowed to release to market. If your game is running at 20-24 fps consistently it might as well be unplayable.

edit: Ubisoft made AC4, so this post no longer applies, but some interesting reading anyway.

Apparently EA got really pissed off when Nintendo wouldn't allow them to take control of the Nintendo EShop and the Multiplayer Gaming Network (trigger warning, reddit) they intended to make and just shoveled the ports onto the Wii U as quickly / cheaply as possibly with no concerns for how playable it is. Then, they said they will not be releasing further things for the console, after dragging its performance and specs through the mud, shouting about how terrible it is to develop for, etc. Found a post on Gamefaqs by someone with "connections"

They wanted to integrate all of Origin with it, I guess. Not exactly a trustworthy site but it is interesting. Kinda proud of Nintendo for having the balls to say no to EA.

edit: None of this applies because ACIV is a title made by Ubisoft!

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 13, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Barudak posted:

A lot of Other M's mechanical flaws were impositions by Sakamoto. The missile point at the screen and stop moving garbage was something he wanted if I remember correctly.

I think the game is fine if you don't get all spergy about how it's not like a Metroid game. If Nintendo had made a new IP and stuck them in the game instead of Samus I'm pretty certain people would have liked it more. The majority of all complaints I hear are about the story, weapon activation, and not being able to explore like a Metroid game.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Astro7x posted:

I think the game is fine if you don't get all spergy about how it's not like a Metroid game.

Complaining about a Metroid game being nothing like a Metroid game is spergy now?

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

hubris.height posted:

Apparently EA got really pissed off when Nintendo wouldn't allow them to take control of the Nintendo EShop and the Multiplayer Gaming Network (trigger warning, reddit) they intended to make and just shoveled the ports onto the Wii U as quickly / cheaply as possibly with no concerns for how playable it is.

They wanted to integrate all of Origin with it, I guess. Not exactly a trustworthy site but it is interesting. Kinda proud of Nintendo for having the balls to say no to EA.
But Assassin's Creed is made (and published) by Ubisoft, not EA?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

PrBacterio posted:

But Assassin's Creed is made (and published) by Ubisoft, not EA?

My mistake, I am an idiot. Sorry!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Astro7x posted:

not being able to explore like a Metroid game.

Exploration is the cornerstone of Metroid games

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Astro7x posted:

I think the game is fine if you don't get all spergy about how it's not like a Metroid game. If Nintendo had made a new IP and stuck them in the game instead of Samus I'm pretty certain people would have liked it more. The majority of all complaints I hear are about the story, weapon activation, and not being able to explore like a Metroid game.

There's also the combat itself turning out really bad by having you auto-dodge every attack just by mashing your thumb all over the d-pad, and your missile upgrades being completely worthless (because Sakamoto insisted on the awkward mechanic around that)

So in short, you've got a linear game with awkward controls and no danger, no ability to deviate from the path, with no meaningful upgrade system, while listening to Samus whine about the author's self-insert.

I'm struggling to think of what's good about the game. I guess the running and jumping is alright?

edit: It's amazing that Retro Studios was allowed to do their thing, turned Metroid into a first-person shooter, and yet it still felt like a metroid game. Whereas Nintendo micromanages Team Ninja into making a throwback to super metroid, and they throw out everything that made metroid good.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

hubris.height posted:

edit: None of this applies because ACIV is a title made by Ubisoft!

Ubisoft have put more into the Wii U than any other 3rd party, the port being terrible probably is despite their best efforts rather than because they're a bad publisher.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

There is a pretty significant backlog of indie titles that will be coming out for the Wii U. They just have to be completed first.

Indie games don't sell consoles though?

What's the incentive for indie developers to target the Wii U anyway?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TaurusOxford posted:

Complaining about a Metroid game being nothing like a Metroid game is spergy now?

Well I enjoyed it, but people are getting upset about how Samus freezes when she sees Ridley for christ sakes and how it ruins the game for them.

I'm clearly in the minority of people that liked the game. LIke I said, the game itself was fine and I enjoyed it, but I didn't expect it to be like a previous Metroid game. If the game was called "Anthony Higgs: Bounty Hunter" people would have thought of it differently.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I don't like it because it looks and sounds and plays like anime and I don't like anime.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Edmund Honda posted:

What's the incentive for indie developers to target the Wii U anyway?

Getting a free Unity license for Wii U makes it cheaper to port there, so it's easier to make a profit on that version of their games.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

TaurusOxford posted:

I wish more people complained about Tomb Raider being nothing like a Tomb Raider game, but here we are and now it's a goty nominee.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Astro7x posted:

If the game was called "Anthony Higgs: Bounty Hunter" people would have thought of it differently.

If the game wasn't Metroid then nobody would have cared about it and forgotten it existed within a month at best.

Also, people getting upset at Samus freaking out at Ridley are upset for a reason: Samus getting freaked out over an enemy she's beaten five times prior to this game makes no sense.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Astro7x posted:

I'm clearly in the minority of people that liked the game. LIke I said, the game itself was fine and I enjoyed it, but I didn't expect it to be like a previous Metroid game. If the game was called "Anthony Higgs: Bounty Hunter" people would have thought of it differently.

Someone named Anthony Higgs wouldn't have been written like a whiny, emo 12 year old girl that sounds like her 6th grade crush refused to hold her hand. Even worse was that the constant whining and crying was unskippable.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well that's I meant when I say the majority of complaints I hear are about story and cutscenes. Gameplay has its flaws, but I don't hear about that nearly as much as how out of character Samus is. And in general, I don't let that get to me if I'm enjoying the gameplay.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Edmund Honda posted:

To be fair, one giant game isn't going to turn the system around. The WiiU needs a flood of new stuff, with each thing hopefully exciting enough people to move the needle a bit.

It's just that, y'know, the flood should have taken place a year ago.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Astro7x posted:

Well that's I meant when I say the majority of complaints I hear are about story and cutscenes. Gameplay has its flaws, but I don't hear about that nearly as much as how out of character Samus is. And in general, I don't let that get to me if I'm enjoying the gameplay.

It seriously bothers me that the story is so bad because it distracts people from noticing that the game play is also bad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Its a really bad game outside of the terrible plot and a lot of the terrible gameplay mechanics were Sakamoto's idea. The missle point don't move system limits the missiles usefulness to about 0 outside of things that require it and the tedious detective sequences add nothing to the game. In addition, there are several forced hallway walks which interrupt what little flow the game has. Combat itself is rather laughable because there are so few buttons and dodge is so supremely broken that there is no challenge and most of your upgrades focus around expanding the missiles which as stated before are basically useless in combat.

I mean hell, you don't even get powerbombs until fighting the final boss so the only benefit they provide is in post game and they're still laughably useless. I haven't even touched the hoplessly boring environments or incredibly small gameworld or awful bosses because I could fill another few paragraphs tearing the game apart for such basic things as "not making the ship fluidly navigable." The game is top to bottom bad to terrible at every single thing it attempts and to say that the only reason people don't like it is the bad story is willful ignorance.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Edmund Honda posted:

A good enough quantity of good exclusives can. One of the big reasons I bought a ps3 were the PixelJunk and ThatGameCompany titles. And the only reason I haven't packed away my 360 is Trials Evolution.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

Equilibrium posted:

Still better than BF4 on the PS4. That game runs at a nice consistent framerate until it crashes after 10 minutes and takes your save games with it. Its completely godawful.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A huge truck full of smaller titles can keep people's systems on and tuned into the ecosystem between major releases. I feel XBLA was a key cog in Xbox 360's early success. For a while Geometry Wars was more popular than any retail game in the 360's library.

Right now there's not much incentive for people to turn on the Wii U and go into the eShop because the only thing that is guaranteed to go up every week is one (1) extremely random virtual console title that could either be a Mario or it could be Vegas Stakes. By the way remember when Nintendo announced N64 and GBA games for Wii U in January? And then they re-announced it in July? And then......................................................... *crickets*

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Crowbear posted:

Getting a free Unity license for Wii U makes it cheaper to port there, so it's easier to make a profit on that version of their games.

Except the tiny install base is going to prevent them from selling any sort of decent numbers anyway. Why would an indie developer ever pick Nintendo over Sony, considering Sony is bending over backwards to not only accommodate and recruit them, but promote them. Spelunky and Doki Doki Universe have been all over Playstation's Facebook and Twitter the past couple days... freaking Doki Doki Universe (which I guess is published by them, but still). There are more pictures this month of Reggie's face (3) than non-Nintendo game mentions (2) on Nintendo of America's Twitter page.

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 13, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Polo-Rican posted:

A good enough quantity of good exclusives can. One of the big reasons I bought a ps3 were the PixelJunk and ThatGameCompany titles. And the only reason I haven't packed away my 360 is Trials Evolution.

There's a PC version of trials now that includes the HD and Evolution levels, I guess it performs kinda poorly though. It beats digging out the 360 in my opinion.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 13, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Barudak posted:

The game is top to bottom bad to terrible at every single thing it attempts and to say that the only reason people don't like it is the bad story is willful ignorance.

Once again, the majority of all complaints I hear are about the story... not the only complaint.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Barudak posted:

I haven't even touched the hoplessly boring environments or incredibly small gameworld or awful bosses

The ridley fight itself was alright, you had to jump over shockwaves sometimes.

Also Nightmare redux was pretty tight. The stretch of gameplay between those two things was okay sometimes.

But yeah, bad game, and if Nintendo somehow mobilizes any third-party studios to work with their properties I hope they don't Other M it again.

edit: remember that bit with the heavy gravity, right before the nightmare fight? and you gotta navigate that room with these new jump mechanics so it's like "hey look, a puzzle!" and that was pretty metroidy.

You have to play through way too much badgame to get to that glimmer of good game though.

If the whole game was like that short sequence between author-insert disappearing and the nightmare fight, it would have been a good game

edit2 I have a save file at that spot

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 13, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Once again, the majority of all complaints I hear are about the story... not the only complaint.

You hear a lot about that because the game billed itself primarily as a return to Metroid with a story from the original creator. It then also forces itself on your with loads of unskippable jabbering. If you quit the game before you find out that they put waist high barriers in most hallways to prevent speedy movement with the speed booster you'd never be able to formulate that complaint but you'd still be able to say "Samus' has a terrible personality."

Also the mere fact that people aren't saying "maybe they can change the plot to be better on the next attempt" is an admission by omission that even the gameplay can't salvage that mess. Lots of games with horrible stories get sequels when the gameplay was good enough to carry people through it. The fact nobody is saying "turn off your brain" indicates there is nothing to enjoy even outside the story.

Thats not really relevant to the WiiU though other than it killed another franchise they could have used to pad the WiiU library. Its actually one of the few types of games the WiiU pad would absolutely benefit because slapping the map screen on the bottom would have been a good use.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Equilibrium posted:

Incidentally, welp, I guess this answers my earlier question, I won't be getting ACIV for the Wii U then, thanks.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Astro7x posted:

What's your point

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
To be fair, without having played it, but what I've heard of Other M's story is, indeed, fairly dire. Samus is supposed to be pretty much the one Nintendo character who's the hardass, stone-cold badass type so when they go in quite literally the exact opposite direction with her characterization in a game's story then of course fans of the series aren't going to be happy about it.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I just cancelled my PS4 pre-order and bought a WiiU. Super Mario 3D World totally sold me on the system. I also wanted to play Monster Hunter, Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3.

That's 3 more games than what I want to play on PS4 right now. Resogun isn't reason enough for me to put down $400 right now.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

NeilPerry posted:

But isn't Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem coming out on WiiU?

Yes but Sony has exclusive rights to persona and all Persona related games for consoles.

That and the Namco Tales series.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

midge posted:

I just cancelled my PS4 pre-order and bought a WiiU. Super Mario 3D World totally sold me on the system. I also wanted to play Monster Hunter, Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3.

That's 3 more games than what I want to play on PS4 right now. Resogun isn't reason enough for me to put down $400 right now.

This was actually my thought process as well when I bought my Wii-U instead of fighting to get a PS4 this year. In addition to Bayo 2 coming out, the virtual console for the WiiU and the Wii virtual console as well, and there's a new DKC the wife and I can play together. Super Mario 3D LandWorld is a blast and the joy I've had playing that game with friends is probably the most fun I've had playing a game in a long time.

I'm actually really under-served by the current next gen release calendars for Xbone/PS4. There's more coming out on PS3 that I care about than on PS4.

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 13, 2013

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

hubris.height posted:

the virtual console for the WiiU and the Wii virtual console as well

Wait, do you get access to the original Wii virtual console from the WiiU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yes but Sony has exclusive rights to persona and all Persona related games for consoles.

That and the Namco Tales series.

Is that a recent development? The Persona fighting game was totally on the 360.

• Locked thread