Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

air- posted:

Sounds good. I'm also considering going over to Hudson, WI to see about New Glarus offerings. Hoping for Thumbprint Sour Wild...

Go to Casanova Liquors, they fill any growler with anything from their taplist. Maybe not exciting to you but pretty neat for Minnesotans. Get a growler of anything hoppy form Toppling Goliath! Their IPA and their pale, PseudoSue, are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

My complete apathy towards struggling through crowds for BCBS paid off and I found a few today as well as some BCBW. Also found a bunch of year-old Old Ruffian for dirt cheap. :toot:

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Picked up some of the Sucks. Since the last time I had it two years ago my taste has changed a lot.. Still a nice flavored ale for the strength. Lagunitas has to have the most distinct flavor of any brewery right? Plenty of breweries have consistent texture or quality or even run through stuff like all English/Belgian/German or whatever ingredients but I've really don't know another brewery where every beer has the signature flavor

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 13, 2013

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

Picked up some of the Sucks. Since the last time I had it two years ago my taste has changed a lot.. Still a nice flavored ale for the strength. Lagunitas has to have the most distinct flavor of any brewery right?

DFH maybe? Only because it's kind of odd?

I am a big fan of everything I've had from Lagunitas and they're definitely distinct.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Shrapnac posted:

DFH maybe? Only because it's kind of odd?

I am a big fan of everything I've had from Lagunitas and they're definitely distinct.

Yeah I mean many breweries have consistency in their philosophy on beer, but I really mean the flavor. I get what you're saying about DFH, and theres a brewer around here named Cody who does "Epic Ales" that I probably could pick out of a line up, but really theres something about the flavor itself for Lagunitas that seems the same from beer to beer. I guess its probably something a smart brewer could easily explain about ingredients, but I don't know what it is.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Bundt Cake posted:

Picked up some of the Sucks. Since the last time I had it two years ago my taste has changed a lot.. Still a nice flavored ale for the strength. Lagunitas has to have the most distinct flavor of any brewery right? Plenty of breweries have consistent texture or quality or even run through stuff like all English/Belgian/German or whatever ingredients but I've really don't know another brewery where every beer has the signature flavor

I get a lot of the same flavors from many Lagunitas beers, but the other night I had Hairy Eyeball from them, and it didn't have that distinct Lagunitas flavor. It was still a good beer, but it didn't remind me of everything else they make.

Another brewery that I get a similar flavor profile across all their beers is Great Lakes Brewing Company. Pretty sure it's the house yeast, but I get a lot of the same notes from all of their beers.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Speaking of the whale chasing utopia of Chicago, tomorrow night/saturday morning is their annual trek to the small Michigan city of Marshall Michigan to wait in line for Dark Horse's BB Plead the 5th, along with about a dozen other beers being bottled. I've been getting things together because I'll be staying in Marshall tomorrow night and saturday night with some friends. I'm so glad I only do one of these stupid releases once a year in the Winter.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Crooked Stave Vieille (thanks, crazyfish) is wonderful. A hint of sourness, lots of saison breadiness, and the wood is really prevalent. I could drink a lot of this (although it is apparently kind of pricey...).

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Do people really hold Utopias in high regard?

I have a 2011 bottle that I haven't finished yet. It was opened on Christmas 2011 so two years ago, I just very very rarely even think about drinking it.

Honestly part of that may be because I have it sitting in the dark in my basement.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

I made the mistake tonight of being both a lover of saisons and the band Ween, and wound up ordering a Captain Fantasy on draft... what the gently caress? I have never held Short's in a high regard, but tonight sealed the deal. gently caress Short's.

I'm honestly pissed off I paid $5 for a pint of this swill. Intense American hop bitterness that overshadowed the whole beer, little to no ester/phenols, astringent as gently caress... it literally tasted like an old Huma Lupa Licious that maybe was fermented with a Belgian yeast. It was loving whack for a saison.

Seriously, anyone thinking about opening a brewery someday, learn a lesson from Short's brewery: if you have made over like 200 beers and none of them are great, you're loving doing it wrong. And if you have the balls to call your beer Captain Fantasy, and it's not in any way FANTASTIC... go gently caress yourself and your trademark trolling.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

danbanana posted:

Crooked Stave Vieille (thanks, crazyfish) is wonderful. A hint of sourness, lots of saison breadiness, and the wood is really prevalent. I could drink a lot of this (although it is apparently kind of pricey...).
Vielle's like $5 a 12 oz. but it is pretty good! At least it's readily available on the shelf.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Shrapnac posted:

Do people really hold Utopias in high regard?

I have a 2011 bottle that I haven't finished yet. It was opened on Christmas 2011 so two years ago, I just very very rarely even think about drinking it.

Honestly part of that may be because I have it sitting in the dark in my basement.

Wait, you have a crazy expensive beer sitting around open for more than a year? :cmon:, there won't be a shred of carbonation left in that fucker. Get ready to taste full-on oxidation if you decide to try it again.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

hellfaucet posted:

Wait, you have a crazy expensive beer sitting around open for more than a year? :cmon:, there won't be a shred of carbonation left in that fucker. Get ready to taste full-on oxidation if you decide to try it again.

Too be honest I didn't think it was very good as a "beer" in the first place and there wasn't a shred of carbonation in the thing to begin with.

I just went and tasted it, it tastes almost exactly the same as it did when I opened it. Maybe slightly more bitter on the back end but that's about it.

It's also a screwtop(once you break the bottlecap top) and been sitting in a closet in my basement with no light, it's not like it's been sitting open to the elements for two years.

I would say that the flavors have probably mellowed a fair bit but it's not undrinkable, it just isn't, and probably never was, a beer.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
It's a beer. It's way more of a beer than the awful high-ABV poo poo that Brewdog puts out. Is it fermented grain? Then it's a beer, I don't care what the ABV is even if you had to use some mutant hyper-specialized yeast to make that much alcohol. As long as you're not distilling it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Phanatic posted:

It's a beer. It's way more of a beer than the awful high-ABV poo poo that Brewdog puts out. Is it fermented grain? Then it's a beer, I don't care what the ABV is even if you had to use some mutant hyper-specialized yeast to make that much alcohol. As long as you're not distilling it.

Ok, yes, it's literally a beer... literally.

But you would never drink it as one. It's more analogous to a port or brandy in that you'd drink an ounce or two as an aperitif. It's far too cloying to drink more than that.

My post may have come across as condescending but I really do appreciate that I had the privilege to have a bottle of Utopias as my own. It wasn't my own doing for sure, my girlfriend, or as I should more appropriately call her, my beer wrangler, since she seems to find every beer that I would love to try, got it for me and it was an incredible gift to get.

My door is open to any goon who wants to try a bit of skunky, old, open for two years Utopias 2011 until it runs out, the bottle is very heavy and I can't really judge how much is actually left in there, just let me know.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Allagash bombers - what's a must get?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Cromlech posted:

Depending on what you like, Curieux, Black, Four, Victor, Victoria, Hugh Malone, Fluxus, Interlude, Confluence...

Allagash is good and if you like the styles they do, check it out.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Curieux is my favorite bourbon-barrel-aged beer ever, even if it's aged in cheap-rear end Jim Beam barrels instead of solid gold casks that once held a mixture of 23-year-old Pappy Van Winkle and the actual blood of Christ.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Utopias is almost more like a brandy than a beer. I finally got to have a taste tonight, $7 for a one ounce pour, which was absolutely enough for me. Three years ago I had been camping the Sam Adams booth at GABF and was three people deep when they ran out. So pissed. It lived up to the hype for me when I had it tonight. Smelled amazing, tasted like figs and raisins and was incredibly smooth. They even let me hold the bottle for a while. Oh! And I won some Sam Adams swag. :D

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Cromlech posted:

Confluence > Interlude > Curieux > Tripel > Four (of the stuff that's generally available)

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Thanks for that. My local place had Confluence on tap twice and I missed it.. Interlude seems right up my alley since I've been meaning to try a beer in that style for a while yet.

Can't say I've had the balls to try anything explicitly barrel aged.. Bottle shop does have DBA and whatnot but after trying an "Oak aged" beer (namely, Great Divide Rumble) I've been hesitant. Really didn't like that beer at all.

Unrelated, but I really don't like Old/Stock ales at all either - had Great Divide Hibernation and had to drain pour it. Just tasted metallic and overtly boozy to me. It stunk up the room too. I don't know; my palate probably isn't ready for it or something. Every "Christmas" or "Winter" beer I've had blows. To me, a Winter beer is just a Stout or Porter. I don't like the trend of these gimmicky seasonal beers.

Seems I'm moving away from malts and towards hops/citrus/other dominated beers. I love Pilsners, Wits and IPAs nowadays, with Stouts and Belgians right under. I feel so not-beer-nerdy!

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Preliminary VT report. I think I'm in love with Vermont and everything it represents already, and for a lot more than just beer; but that's a topic for a different thread.

American Flatbread / Zero Gravity Brewing: Great stout/brown, even better pizza offered alongside it. I think it's the best pizza I've had so far on this journey, not that I've been trying to have a lot of pizza. Also, they have an incredible locale, all brick inside and featuring a lot of '70s Whole Earth Catalog-y decor inside, and even the customers seemed to be all bearded dudes and women with long Joni Mitchell-style hair. I felt I was in a timewarp, except I was drinking a fine brown instead of Narragansett or whatever.

Vermont Pub & Brewery: Real nice place; the oldest brewpub in Vermont (founded 1988) and the 2nd oldest brewery in VT period (after the defunct Catamount Brewery). Their Burly Irish red ale is a killer session and I could drink lots of 'em. They also had a double IPA on tap called "Teddy Hopper" that was their tribute to the more popular Vermont IPA, but sadly they just ran out when I arrived.

Farmhouse Tap & Grill: About 25 taps, but amusingly...

They must have had some kind of Stone festival just recently because nearly half of them were Stone taps (including Suede, which I enjoyed seeing because it's a 10 Barrel beer 3000 miles away from its origin in Bend, 10 minutes walking from my house). Still the rest were nearly all VT including a couple from Hill; I had James, a black IPA that I thought was quite good and hoppy without going too overboard.

I also had a can of Heady, served to me with all the matter-of-factness of a PBR at a dive bar, which I loved. I'll save my opinion of it for later, but what I found interesting was that, according to the barkeep/manager, Heady is indeed a lot more available now in cans across VT than at near any time before. What he said to me was that apparently over 70% of Heady was getting bought in cans in the Waterbury storefront up to now. Given how more than one general travel guide to VT has all but said "Ohhh son you need to buy a case of this stuff while you're here" in their literature, I can believe it. I mean, I try to imagine if people tried to fill like 6 growlers of Hop Venom every time they visited Boneyard, and I'm sure that stuff would be pretty drat scarce too.

(ps. Farmhouse had 3 or 4 Crooked Stave bottles on their list; how the 'ell did they get those?)

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 13, 2013

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Preliminary VT report. I think I'm in love with Vermont and everything it represents already, and for a lot more than just beer; but that's a topic for a different thread.

American Flatbread / Zero Gravity Brewing: Great stout/brown, even better pizza offered alongside it. I think it's the best pizza I've had so far on this journey, not that I've been trying to have a lot of pizza. Also, they have an incredible locale, all brick inside and featuring a lot of '70s Whole Earth Catalog-y decor inside, and even the customers seemed to be all bearded dudes and women with long Joni Mitchell-style hair. I felt I was in a timewarp, except I was drinking a fine brown instead of Narragansett or whatever.

Vermont Pub & Brewery: Real nice place; the oldest brewpub in Vermont (founded 1988) and the 2nd oldest brewery in VT period (after the defunct Catamount Brewery). Their Burly Irish red ale is a killer session and I could drink lots of 'em. They also had a double IPA on tap called "Teddy Hopper" that was their tribute to the more popular Vermont IPA, but sadly they just ran out when I arrived

Cheers, that's exactly how I felt about VT too, down to the loving the Irish red at VBP. Glad you had a good time.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname

funkybottoms posted:

Confluence > Interlude > Curieux > Tripel > Four (of the stuff that's generally available)

This is my exact list. Fresh confluence is one of my favorite beers on the planet.

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009

Cromlech posted:

Can't say I've had the balls to try anything explicitly barrel aged.. Bottle shop does have DBA and whatnot but after trying an "Oak aged" beer (namely, Great Divide Rumble) I've been hesitant. Really didn't like that beer at all.
Don't let Rumble influence your feelings on barrel aged beer. Barrel/oak aged IPAs are a weird thing and if there is a good example of the style, it's not Rumble. I hated Rumble when I tried it (it was also one of my first oak aged beers), but now I love stuff like the Oak Aged Yetis and Bourbon Barrel Quad.

Grab something darker that has been barrel aged and give it a shot.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

hellfaucet posted:

I made the mistake tonight of being both a lover of saisons and the band Ween, and wound up ordering a Captain Fantasy on draft... what the gently caress? I have never held Short's in a high regard, but tonight sealed the deal. gently caress Short's.

I'm honestly pissed off I paid $5 for a pint of this swill. Intense American hop bitterness that overshadowed the whole beer, little to no ester/phenols, astringent as gently caress... it literally tasted like an old Huma Lupa Licious that maybe was fermented with a Belgian yeast. It was loving whack for a saison.

Seriously, anyone thinking about opening a brewery someday, learn a lesson from Short's brewery: if you have made over like 200 beers and none of them are great, you're loving doing it wrong. And if you have the balls to call your beer Captain Fantasy, and it's not in any way FANTASTIC... go gently caress yourself and your trademark trolling.

Shorts does make good beer, they just don't make good saisons.

Shorts highlights from this year:
-Cup a Joe (one of my favorite coffee stouts)
-Anniversary Ale (a really unique offering of a style not prevalent enough)
-Soft Parade is good (for a fruit beer.... haters gonna hate)
-Freedom of '78 (maybe you'd like this Ween inspired beer instead?)
-Hopstache (tons of grapefruit)
-Black Cherry Porter

Disappointments:
-Captain Fantasy (haven't liked any of their saisons)
-Bourbon Woodmaster (had a boozy acetone thing going on that was not good)
-Controversius Maximus (wasn't a fan of the heavy maltiness)
-Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster (the belgian aspect didn't do anything for me)

Cup a Joe is hitting stores at the beginning of next week, you should definitely try it and see if Shorts is redeemed in your mind at all.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

danbanana posted:

Have you had Surette yet? They're both basically the same beer IIRC from talking to one of the brewers, except Vieille doesn't age quite as long. Really delightful beer, although I think it's my least favorite out of Crooked Stave's regular offerings because I feel the rest of their lineup just offers far more or more interesting flavor. Still it's a fantastic saison.

Also this might interest you:

And yeah, it is a bit pricey, which is my one gripe with Crooked Stave and why I do not drink their product all the time. Mainly because I can get a sixer of something or I can get a 350 and a half of a Crooked Stave brew. Mostly I end up drinking their beers on tap :smug:

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Bundt Cake posted:

I picked up one of the 32oz Sucks yesterday and am currently enjoying it. Man this is some good stuff, so good that I know I won't have trouble polishing this thing off even though it's more than what I'd normally drink.

On another note I'm going to a Ballast Point takeover event on Saturday and I can't wait.

Here's the lineup:
1 Thai Chili Wahoo
2. Fathom
3. Chipotle Marlin
4. Smoke Screen Lager
5. Piper Down
6. Schooner Fresh Hop
7. Dorado
8. Sea Monster
9. Sculpin
10. Black Marlin
11. Big Eye
12. Brother Levonian
13. Longfin
14. Calico
15. Wahoo
16. Victory at Sea
17. Pale Ale
18. Boob Check
19. Serrano Pale
20. Black Eye
21. Homework #2
22. Nitro Sextant
23. Nitro Copper
24. BA Black Marlin
25. Habanero Sculpin

Any reccomendations? Obviously gonna get a Sculpin because I've never had it fresh or on tap, but beyond that I'm really not sure. I've had Big Eye and liked it, but I think I'll probably be looking to drink one of the less common brews.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Habanero Sculpin and BA Black Marlin for sure.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

On another note I'm going to a Ballast Point takeover event on Saturday and I can't wait.

Any reccomendations?

I had the Schooner last night and although it wasn't my favorite, it was straight-up the orangiest pale ale/IPA I've ever had. If you loving love oranges, drink it.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

I picked up one of the 32oz Sucks yesterday and am currently enjoying it. Man this is some good stuff, so good that I know I won't have trouble polishing this thing off even though it's more than what I'd normally drink.

Here's the lineup:
1 Thai Chili Wahoo
2. Fathom
3. Chipotle Marlin
4. Smoke Screen Lager
5. Piper Down
6. Schooner Fresh Hop
7. Dorado
8. Sea Monster
9. Sculpin
10. Black Marlin
11. Big Eye
12. Brother Levonian
13. Longfin
14. Calico
15. Wahoo
16. Victory at Sea
17. Pale Ale
18. Boob Check
19. Serrano Pale
20. Black Eye
21. Homework #2
22. Nitro Sextant
23. Nitro Copper
24. BA Black Marlin
25. Habanero Sculpin

Any reccomendations? Obviously gonna get a Sculpin because I've never had it fresh or on tap, but beyond that I'm really not sure. I've had Big Eye and liked it, but I think I'll probably be looking to drink one of the less common brews.

Habanero Sculpin. Thai Chili Wahoo. Schooner. And if you've never had it, Victory at Sea.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Definitely Habanero Sculpin, but if you plan on being able to actually taste anything else you should save it for last. It is intensely spicy and will completely wreck your palate.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Speaking of the whale chasing utopia of Chicago, tomorrow night/saturday morning is their annual trek to the small Michigan city of Marshall Michigan to wait in line for Dark Horse's BB Plead the 5th, along with about a dozen other beers being bottled. I've been getting things together because I'll be staying in Marshall tomorrow night and saturday night with some friends. I'm so glad I only do one of these stupid releases once a year in the Winter.

Chicago assholes, leave our state alone!! :argh: Anyway am I remembering correctly that this one is available from the brewery only, no distribution?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Shorts does make good beer, they just don't make good saisons.

Shorts highlights from this year:
-Cup a Joe (one of my favorite coffee stouts)
-Anniversary Ale (a really unique offering of a style not prevalent enough)
-Soft Parade is good (for a fruit beer.... haters gonna hate)
-Freedom of '78 (maybe you'd like this Ween inspired beer instead?)
-Hopstache (tons of grapefruit)
-Black Cherry Porter

Disappointments:
-Captain Fantasy (haven't liked any of their saisons)
-Bourbon Woodmaster (had a boozy acetone thing going on that was not good)
-Controversius Maximus (wasn't a fan of the heavy maltiness)
-Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster (the belgian aspect didn't do anything for me)

Cup a Joe is hitting stores at the beginning of next week, you should definitely try it and see if Shorts is redeemed in your mind at all.

I'm glad I didn't give in and try Captain Fantasy. I kept thinking "hmm, 'pear saison' sounds really good!!" Mystery Stout was a really good one for me. I'd add Nicie Spicie to the disappointment list, but then again I'm not sure how disappointed you can be when a peppercorn beer tastes like chewing on a handful of peppercorns. Still, :barf:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

krustster posted:

Chicago assholes, leave our state alone!! :argh: Anyway am I remembering correctly that this one is available from the brewery only, no distribution?

krustster posted:

I'm glad I didn't give in and try Captain Fantasy. I kept thinking "hmm, 'pear saison' sounds really good!!" Mystery Stout was a really good one for me. I'd add Nicie Spicie to the disappointment list, but then again I'm not sure how disappointed you can be when a peppercorn beer tastes like chewing on a handful of peppercorns. Still, :barf:

Yeah, BB Plead the 5th is brewery only, sadly. It's personally one of my favorite BB stouts (better than *gasp* BCBS and Black Note).

I missed out on Mystery Stout this year but I've heard good things. I was in the Bellaire area for Thanksgiving and went to their "Release the Stouts" event, their Ectoplasmo (Belgian Stout w/ Raspberries) and Bim Bam Boom (Chocolate, Chili, and Orange Stout) were both very good.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Kasteel's Winter may be one of the best beers I've drank. Huge coffee/cocoa nose with a big cocoa and coffee front, with a huge caramel back that has a slight medicinal grape flavor. Hides every bit of the 11% abv. I'm definitely buying a few of these this Winter.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Chipotle Black Marlin is also spicy as poo poo.

Mole Victory at Sea is awesome, though.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Guess I'll be in going to Ann Arbor next Monday...

Will include:
Sobrehumano Palena Ole (settle down not the Grand Reserve!)
Biere de Mars Grand Reserve 2010
La Roja- Oval Label 2008
Lambic 2009
Stone-Nogne-Jolly Pumpkin Collaboration 2010
Oro de Calabaza- Oval Label

If any A2 goons have been to this before, am I fool expecting that these will auction for reasonable prices?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i know this isn't the trading thread, but if any WI-area goons are gonna hit this event up, i'm very much ISO .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
Oh poo poo Sucaba 2014 is bottled. My wallet...