Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

So a 3 hour lunch came in;

Today was the clients holiday lunch/secret santa. I was the only one from my company invited to it. So free lunch and secret santa where half of the presents were booze. I ended up with a 40 of Caramel vodka...

Today has been a good day.

Hey i mean at least you get a little bit of a payoff once in awhile. How's that other job looking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

So a 3 hour lunch came in;

Today was the clients holiday lunch/secret santa. I was the only one from my company invited to it. So free lunch and secret santa where half of the presents were booze. I ended up with a 40 of Caramel vodka...

Today has been a good day.
GET BACK IN YOUR POD

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Loose Ifer posted:

Hey i mean at least you get a little bit of a payoff once in awhile. How's that other job looking?

Nothing concrete yet. I have a bunch of resumes in competitions that close tomorrow, so I don't think I will hear back until next week on them at the earliest. I have followed up with the trucking company guy but I haven't heard back. Still skimming various job sites every day for another opportunity.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

nexxai posted:

GET BACK IN YOUR POD

Whoa now, blacksword stepped into a pod just for that lunch.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Inspector_666 posted:

Whoa now, blacksword stepped into a pod just for that lunch.

I was gonna say, I think he's entitled to at least an afternoon in a pod.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Potato Alley posted:

Or stop using 2012 since R2 is out and has the Start button, although all it does it take you to Metro. Eh.

Right click that poo poo! And then edit that sweet desktop based menu at C:\Users\$you\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\winx. Win+X also makes this menu pop up

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hey guys.

We have a new monitoring system going live on Friday. It's also not actually done and lots of basic functionality doesn't work quite yet. Lots of those issues have been getting band-aided by the developers putting in half-assed work arounds that just make using the usability tool worse. And by going live, we're of course going to be shutting down the old system which is completely functional and could easily be used as a backup. I'm pretty sure there's lots of pressure from high up to get this thing out because there's no way in hell anybody with half a brain can look at this tool in it's sorry state and say, yeah, I think it's ready.

Mind you, this supports 3 million customers and staring at it waiting for something to break makes up about 75% of my job so I'm not really sure how this can be considered acceptable at all.

I'm so glad I don't work on Friday. Plus when it doesn't work and something big breaks that goes undetected, I won't be held accountable. Probably.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

AboveAndBeyond posted:

"But you see, it's always been there and just make it work I can't do my jo--...."

That's fine. I have 3 people in China that'll do your job far cheaper than you, work longer hours, and wont loving bug me about a start button. Don't let the door hit you in the rear end on the way out.

(Yes, i'm in my pod, I can dream, cant I?)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Renegret posted:

Mind you, this supports 3 million customers and staring at it waiting for something to break makes up about 75% of my job so I'm not really sure how this can be considered acceptable at all.

For perspective, SAP Business By Design was down all of Tuesday. "I can't fix that." And boy am I glad I'm not them, all the data has to be right, all the accounts and permissions have to be right, all of the functionality has to be there, and at least one person from every customer you have will be hitting the site within 10 minutes of going live, whenever you bring it back up.

Make your next drink a toast to those poor SOBs.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Remember about two weeks ago I had that ticket where SBS console was broken on the users server? Well The ticket I had was reopened because the password policy is still causing issues. So I ended up disabling the policy all together to get them to be able to change passwords at all.

I looked at the status of the ticket to repair the SBS console and it was assigned to one of the T1 agents who started with us in September. No previous IT experience. The ticket basically says "Spoke to Sr techs about how to repair server.. sending ticket to projects to quote new server"

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 12, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

A ticket reply came in. The first sentence of it was "To explain why the information and duplicity." and every one after is in the same sort of infinitive verb form.

Am I dealing with a gargoyle from the Ultima series? :raise:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Coworker asks if I can move a PC, since they're busy. I say sure, just forward me the info.

:shepicide:

EDIT: I should add that before I got this it was communicated as urgent, which is the true source of my annoyance.
This would be a somewhat legitimate request at my place since people have to watch training videos on the intranet from time to time, and I wish they'd use headphones. Way too many people just blare out their horrible classes for the whole office to hear. Also anything that gets the PC off the dustbunny and spaceheater infested floor is a plus.

It's definitely not urgent though.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
A server alert came in this morning...

Walked in the door around 9:30. Spent the next 4.5 hours troubleshooting why our Rightfax sever could send faxes but not receive. Was on the phone with our Rightfax guys, Cisco guys, and our internal telecom team. Turns out we haven't been receiving faxes since Monday at noon.

Cause? What's the cause you say?!

Telecom managed to switch the ip address of the rightfax server to an address that doesn't exist. It took us 4.5 hours to figure that out. I hate this place.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Loose Ifer posted:

It took us 4.5 hours to figure that out. I hate this place.

I know that feeling I just spent ~45 minutes trying to figure out why a printer was not recognising a new toner cartridge had been installed. I removed and reinserted the cartridge, cleaned all of the electrical contacts between cartridge/drum and drum/printer. restarted the printer etc. Turned out the issue was my boss had shipped them the wrong toner. Toner had same physical size, same contacts and same insertion method, only difference is the toner has a 3500 page capacity compared with the 2000 which it should be using. I guess my problem is I look for the technical solution and sometimes forget that things don't work because someone messed up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

blackswordca posted:

"Spoke to Sr techs about how to repair server.. sending ticket to projects to quote new server"

Your new tech will have a great career and will probably be a manager, and a good one, in 10 years tops.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

A ticket reply came in. The first sentence of it was "To explain why the information and duplicity." and every one after is in the same sort of infinitive verb form.

Am I dealing with a gargoyle from the Ultima series? :raise:

Next time you walk in, just mutter under your breath Vas Kal An Mani In Corp Hur Tym (as long as you have the right reagents).

Problem solved, ticket closed.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Varkk posted:

I know that feeling I just spent ~45 minutes trying to figure out why a printer was not recognising a new toner cartridge had been installed. I removed and reinserted the cartridge, cleaned all of the electrical contacts between cartridge/drum and drum/printer. restarted the printer etc. Turned out the issue was my boss had shipped them the wrong toner. Toner had same physical size, same contacts and same insertion method, only difference is the toner has a 3500 page capacity compared with the 2000 which it should be using. I guess my problem is I look for the technical solution and sometimes forget that things don't work because someone messed up.

I don't think you can feel bad about being screwed over by a fundamental design flaw.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Well its going to be one of those days.

Got a call from the owner of the company I work for. Apparently the client is having issues and didn't tell me, the Sr tech or account lead. Several people, whos names I am not being told, are having 'speed' issues I can't replicate. The result of this, and the delay in migrating over to the new internet, which was waiting on the account lead and one of the other owners, got me a vague "You need to take more responsibility" and "I don't know if you are going to work out". I'm not sure why its taken over three years to determine I'm not going to work out.

For the part of this I can actually look at, the client has a 5mbup/5mbdown connection and after running 25 tests, I am averaging about 4.8mbup/4.76mbdown which is more than acceptable. Ive also run some transfers over the intranet and am getting 15mbt + speeds for large files so I am not seeing issues there. The one person that I know is having issues is in meetings all day so I cant follow up with him.

Sent a follow up email to the trucking place and am hoping to hear back soon. It looks like I may be getting lined up to receive a pink slip for Christmas.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007
Not sure how it works in Canadia (I think that's where you are?), but here in the States even if you're dismissed "with cause", you have the opportunity to make your case about how the "cause" is pretty much bullshit and you still deserve unemployment.

If it even works remotely similarly up there, you should print out a copy of this thread as your defense.

But let's rather hope it doesn't come to that.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
You know, I'm getting mighty god damned sick of Friday afternoon "emergency changes" that effectively make my weekend disappear.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

KweezNArt posted:

Not sure how it works in Canadia (I think that's where you are?), but here in the States even if you're dismissed "with cause", you have the opportunity to make your case about how the "cause" is pretty much bullshit and you still deserve unemployment.

If it even works remotely similarly up there, you should print out a copy of this thread as your defense.

But let's rather hope it doesn't come to that.

Unless something bad happens, all they can do is lay me off. In the past they lay someone off, pay them a month and don't disclose a reason why so they can get EI. But you have to sign a contract saying you wont steal their customers and the like.

Edit: Just got a call from a temp agency for a 3 month role with an energy company at a 20% pay increase..

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 13, 2013

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

Edit: Just got a call from a temp agency for a 3 month role with an energy company at a 20% pay increase..
I don't care if that energy company rapes bunnies on children's television - TAKE IT.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

An email came in a few days ago:

Client who likes me posted:

Dear Mustache Ride,

It seems that our Corporate IT Department, which is part of a large Energy Services Company that makes billions per year, went far over budget in Q4, and all of our Contractors are required to leave until January 1st. Please take your things and we'll see you in the new year.

I'm really really sorry

Now this isn't terribly bad, however my parent company has changed their processes completely since the last time I was stationed there (6 months ago). So in the past 2 days I've had to learn all of the processes again, including the new Review Platform software.

But since I'm a badass, I learned quickly and got up to speed with what they wanted. The result? I'm now working 12 hours a day with few breaks catching my parent company up on all of their leftover bullshit. And because this is still a new job, my pay and Christmas bonus was really really lovely.

I don't feel loved this Christmas.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

nexxai posted:

I don't care if that energy company rapes bunnies on children's television - TAKE IT.

And then walk out doing your best Ignignokt impression.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

nexxai posted:

Seconded. Let's all spend the rest of the day writing Blacksword's resignation letter. I'll start:

To whom it may concern:

It is painfully obvious that you are either a: incapable of valuing my work or b: so ridiculously inept it's a wonder you're still in business. I choose to believe in all of the above. Don't call me when Sr. wrecks something else without a check for $500/hr, 4 hour minimum.

Piss right the gently caress off.

Blacksword

P.S. Don't actually call me, even with a check.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I think a simple "later shitlords" would work better. Bonus points for jumping over a chair on your way out.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Seconded. Let's all spend the rest of the day writing Blacksword's resignation letter. I'll start:

To whom it may concern:

It is painfully obvious that you are either a: incapable of valuing my work or b: so ridiculously inept it's a wonder you're still in business. I choose to believe in all of the above. Don't call me when Sr. wrecks something else without a checkcheque for $500/hr, 4 hour minimum.

Blacksword

P.S. Don't actually call me, even with a checkcheque.

He's in Canada, I fixed it up a bit :v:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

To whom it may concern:

It is painfully obvious that you are either a: incapable of valuing my work or b: so ridiculously inept it's a wonder you're still in business. I choose to believe in all of the above. Don't call me when Sr. wrecks something else without a check for $500/hr, 4 hour minimum.

Blacksword

Dude. Nailed it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Paladine_PSoT posted:

To whom it may concern:

Sorry,

Blacksword

He's Canadian, remember?

Also, cheque, as mentioned above.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

I was speaking to a friend of mine, and he suggested "to whom it may concern" be replaced with "dear overlord dickless"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Don't write anything that will look bad when you're in court defending against an accusation of industrial sabotage or some other frivolous bullshit. Write the mean letter because it will make you feel better, but then send in a super professional letter that talks about how much of a learning experience it was working there and how you're looking forward to opportunities to work together in the future.

Or do something where the first letter of every sentence spells out something funny.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Don't write anything that will look bad when you're in court defending against an accusation of industrial sabotage or some other frivolous bullshit. Write the mean letter because it will make you feel better, but then send in a super professional letter that talks about how much of a learning experience it was working there and how you're looking forward to opportunities to work together in the future.

Or do something where the first letter of every sentence spells out something funny.

Trust me, my real letter will be professional and full of happiness and hope. The mean one will be posted on the forums for future generations of goons to enjoy.

edit: However flipping the company building the bird on the way out will probably happen.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

blackswordca posted:

I was speaking to a friend of mine, and he suggested "to whom it may concern" be replaced with "dear overlord dickless"

Just go with "Dear Sir or Madam" and hand it to your boss, who you work with every day.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Or intentionally use JUST the opposite gender.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Just go with "Dear Sir or Madam" and hand it to your boss, who you work with every day.

If you don't mind being a little informal, you could shorten "Dear Sir or Madam" to "Dear Saddam".

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Dear Sir and Madam

As per your subtle hinting over the past year, I am doing the needful

C-ya Later Shitlords
blackswordca

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Dear Sir and/or Madam

Best Regards,

Blacksword

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

then send in a super professional letter that talks about how much of a learning experience it was working there and how you're looking forward to opportunities to work together in the future.

Can't it be both?

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007
Whenever you write your real "mean" letter, we should chip in to have one of the goon voice actors read it in that "dramatic breakup letter" style, and see if we can't get Shmorky or Everdraed to animate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Why not just not write a real letter at all? Just say you're resigning in two weeks or whatever and leave it at that.

• Locked thread