Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
blackswordca, run or at least moonwalk the gently caress out of there now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Ahoy nerds, I'd be happy to read that. PM me with whatever you decide, mang.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

blackswordca: is this something you're actually going to do? Or is SHSC just collectively fantasizing about it with you right now?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Sirotan posted:

blackswordca: is this something you're actually going to do? Or is SHSC just collectively fantasizing about it with you right now?

Write the angry letter? I think I have to at this point. As for the temp job They have my resume submitted to the client for review.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Just had a Clickshare demo. Goddamn that thing's slick. Definitely getting at least one.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sirotan posted:

I saw 25 replies to this thread and immediately thought "blackswordca posted". I wasn't sure if it was hopeful or bullshit or both, but I knew it was him.

blackswordca, we are rooting for you.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

blackswordca posted:

Write the angry letter? I think I have to at this point. As for the temp job They have my resume submitted to the client for review.

Yeah, meant the position. Even if it's only temporary it sure seems like you'd be in a better place than where you are now. I hope you get it!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ConfusedUs posted:

I saw 25 replies to this thread and immediately thought "blackswordca posted". I wasn't sure if it was hopeful or bullshit or both, but I knew it was him.

blackswordca, we are rooting for you.

Think how much more boring this thread will be without him though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Someone else will rise to the challenge. There's always someone.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
"BTW Im done here seeya shitlords"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Khisanth Magus posted:

Think how much more boring this thread will be without him though.

We had Dick Trauma for a while, and then we got blackswordca. There will be another.

It could be you. It could be me. It could be someone else. There will be another.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

ConfusedUs posted:

We had Dick Trauma for a while, and then we got blackswordca. There will be another.

It could be you. It could be me. It could be someone else. There will be another.

There must always be a Stark in Winterfell

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

There must always be a Stark in Winterfell

Tickets are coming

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Just had a Clickshare demo. Goddamn that thing's slick. Definitely getting at least one.

I really like ours, but people manage to still gently caress it up all the time.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

ConfusedUs posted:

Tickets are coming

You know nothing, CEO.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in the morning....

Which turned into 15 separate tickets. For the same issue. Apparently the latest service pack for Trend Officescan wasn't compatible with windows 8.1. The data execution prevention service was sitting in a STOP PENDING state, and the Win8 logon screen would just spin at Welcome indefinitely. Luckily the released a patch right after for 8.1. WHY DO WE EVEN HAVE A TESTING TEAM. WHYYYYY.

TGIF.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Blacksword, when you finally ditch that god awful place you are at, I am taking you out for a beer. We'll go to the underground downtown and try something off every single one of the 70+ taps.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I really like ours, but people manage to still gently caress it up all the time.

How...I..what? When there's nothing connected to it the screen says "pres butan". Pressing button makes picture appear.

Or do they not plug the buttons in, forget the screen needs to be on etc?

They're the people who say "I thought technology was supposed to make my life easier!" whilst staring at it and expecting it to jump to life, aren't they? They had ancestors who just stared at a club on the ground and wondered why it wasn't pounding the poo poo out of a mammoth.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Caged posted:

How...I..what? When there's nothing connected to it the screen says "pres butan". Pressing button makes picture appear.

Or do they not plug the buttons in, forget the screen needs to be on etc?

COMPUTER COMPLICATED

tjl
Aug 6, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Why not just not write a real letter at all? Just say you're resigning in two weeks or whatever and leave it at that.
I have to agree. I know it's not the most entertaining option as it pertains to this thread... but yeah. Just wash your hands of that place and move on. But if you do write a letter, Comic Sans MS, 16 pt. font please.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

tjl posted:

I have to agree. I know it's not the most entertaining option as it pertains to this thread... but yeah. Just wash your hands of that place and move on. But if you do write a letter, Comic Sans MS, 16 pt. font please.

Crayon using your off hand. Then scan it into a word document as a BMP and then email the document to your boss and cc all.companyname.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Do you have to give two weeks?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

deimos posted:

Do you have to give two weeks?

I have been here for over three years.. I think I do.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

or what

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Delays in getting final paycheque upwards of 24 days, and I lose any termination pay I may have accrued.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Thought you guys might find this interesting. This drive weighs a shitload (key for scale), stores 120mb of data and has a stepper motor for the read heads rather than a swing arm (heads move straight in and out perpendicular to disc motion). It is a pretty neat piece of old technology.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

blackswordca posted:

Delays in getting final paycheque upwards of 24 days, and I lose any termination pay I may have accrued.

Is that even legal? What's termination pay?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

demonachizer posted:

Thought you guys might find this interesting. This drive weighs a shitload (key for scale), stores 120mb of data and has a stepper motor for the read heads rather than a swing arm (heads move straight in and out perpendicular to disc motion). It is a pretty neat piece of old technology.

I love seeing old tech like this. If I can remember, I should see about going through the attic space at my moms when I visit for Xmas. We had an old 5.25" 40MB HDD that I'm hoping is still around.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

demonachizer posted:

This drive weighs a shitload (key for scale)

Those looks like my old college dorm keys. Work for a college by chance?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Moey posted:

Those looks like my old college dorm keys. Work for a college by chance?

Yeah. I work at a dental school. Just realized that is my housekey however.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Alctel posted:

Yeah, Alberta is very pro employer so complaints tend to be closed regularly and if you do have complaints survive their process, the employment standards board is pretty much toothless about enforcing any penalty.

Termination pay is basically after you work a certain length of time with an employer and then you give notice or they lay you off you are guaranteed a certain amount of extra pay. So if i give two weeks notice, and they tell me not to come in anymore, I still get that two weeks no matter what. Same thing if they lay me off, I get two weeks of pay on top of my normal hours that I have earned.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Alctel posted:

Sure - if you don't give your contractual notice then why should a company give you your contractual pay off

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

demonachizer posted:

Yeah. I work at a dental school. Just realized that is my housekey however.

drat, I was hoping that was the public restroom key attached to the HDD shaped restroom-use-deterrent.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

blackswordca posted:

I have been here for over three years.. I think I do.

If it's not legally required, you should tell them on the last day before you start the new job. 2 weeks if not legally required is a courtesy, not a law. gently caress them.

This actually solves the whole termination thing, too. They can't threaten time you've already worked.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

blackswordca posted:

Yeah, Alberta is very pro employer so complaints tend to be closed regularly and if you do have complaints survive their process, the employment standards board is pretty much toothless about enforcing any penalty.

Termination pay is basically after you work a certain length of time with an employer and then you give notice or they lay you off you are guaranteed a certain amount of extra pay. So if i give two weeks notice, and they tell me not to come in anymore, I still get that two weeks no matter what. Same thing if they lay me off, I get two weeks of pay on top of my normal hours that I have earned.

Oh Alberta, hahaha

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
How many restrooms are at your employer, blacksword?

How feasible is it to leave upper deckers in each and every one?

Rooting for you here - good Christ, this whole situation needs an endpoint.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MJP posted:

How feasible is it to leave upper deckers in each and every one?

They'd probably hire a replacement and make him deal with those...

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Since you're in Canada, blacksword, you should write the professional letter in English and the mean letter en francais.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Since you're in Canada, blacksword, you should write the professional letter in English and the mean letter en francais.

If he was in Quebec this would be so much more fantastic

• Locked thread