Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augustin Iturbide
Jun 4, 2012

LeJackal posted:

To do so the Vampire needs to have Auspex 1 on and listening, dangerous/useless if there is a fight (or any chance of loud overwhelming sounds) and also overcome the penalties associated with the lower-level Stealth gifts and the werewolf's natural stealth. Said stealth-gifts and other bobbers also give him bonuses against sniffing too. A Mage would have to be using certain Arcana and likely have contested rolls to penetrate, anyway. The Invisible Fence tactic is geared at and uses mechanics of Obfuscate as its lynchpin, I imagine its effectiveness at corralling an invisible foe that can stab you in the face while still invisible is highly limited.

So I'm a Deava with Auspex 1, Celerity 2, and a machine gun in an alleyway. With Auspex 1 (Which I can turn on and off reflexively) and not terrible Wits/Composure I have a good chance of hearing you coming, and I can autofire in your direction. Let's be charitable and give the shot a -5 to hit. Long burst is a +3, a laser sight is a +1, and let's say I spend a Willpower and so do you so that basically cancels each other out. I also pop Celerity so I'm more likely to be moving first and adding another +2. The penalty from Vanish has been negated, and can be continuously negated for probably 2-3 more rounds, in which if I am hitting (let's say Firearms 4 and Dex 4) means I'm getting an average of (8+3+1+3+2-5=11 dice/3)= 3 successes per roll, and if you're using the sane firearms rules where damage is just damage is an average damage amount of 7 damage per round. If I'm a comparably xp'd Deava I probably have higher Celerity and more blood potency since I never had to waste xp on Renown so I can also pop a Blood Boost on my Dex, which can jump the average damage up to around 8 or 9 per round. The Celerity helps me not get hit if you do close the distance, which may be hard with all those wound penalties.

Alternatively, I'm a comparable Mage, I have Fate 5 and I just kind of shoot randomly and I hit you in the face because I have a Fate enchantment up that let's me do that.

Alternatively, it's daytime, and whatever vampire explodes into dust because these are all dumb hypotheticals.

LeJackal posted:

You do realize how stupid it would be if a level 5 supernatural ability could be completely negated with a level 1 ability, right?

Yeah, that's kind of my point, werewolves are not very good.

LeJackal posted:

They can emulate it about as well as fiberglass model of a Formula 1 car can emulate the real deal.

A Hollow Mekhet with Obfuscate 3 is also unseen on all media and can have a penalty to be spotted that can go much higher then 5 with the right stats, at character creation.

Once again, these sorts of conversations are silly because we can literally imagine possible scenarios in which one side could overcome the others' advantages literally all day, since it depends totally on the context of the conflict.

Also, there's no need to be snide about this, it's a conversation about roleplaying games.

Edit: Ugh, I did not want this at the top of the page. Sorry readers.

Augustin Iturbide fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Huh, guess the people who made Dungeons: the Dragoning must've been spoofing the Path of Night when they made the Malal Alignment. Some of the sins there are word-for-word the same. For comparison:

10 Falling in love.
9 Acting in the interests of another.
8 Keeping your word when it would aid another.
7 Asking aid of another.
6 Needlessly preventing a death.
5 Exhibiting compassion for others.
4 Aiding another.
3 Accepting the superiority of another.
2 Failing to take advantage of another's weakness.
1 Repenting one's behavior.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Vicissitude posted:

As for WoD fiction, the Clan Novel series is actually pretty good. Some of them are a little weaker than others, but some are amazing. The Malkavian book, especially, which shows the world from Anatole's point of view a few times. It's interesting to see how a madman like that experiences his night to night activities.

I was going off the online reviews. People actually hated the Malkavian clan novel for the reasons that you love it.

I just found out that there's a Dark Ages Clan Novel series.

The dialogue must be written in ye olde english.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Augustin Iturbide posted:

So I'm a Deava with Auspex 1, Celerity 2, and a machine gun in an alleyway. With Auspex 1 (Which I can turn on and off reflexively)...(use for several rounds)

No, you can't - on both counts. Auspex actions are not Reflexive, and using them over multiple turns when you're shooting a gun is dumb.

NWoD Requiem page 120 posted:

Auspex
.....Such potent sensitivity can have its drawbacks, however. When a vampire actively uses any level of Auspex save the fifth (Twilight Projection), he runs the risk of his delicate senses being overwhelmed by excessive stimuli. Sudden or severe occurrences such as a gun report or flash bulb in the eyes can distract the character unless the player succeeds on a Resolve roll. Failure disorients the character, making him effectively unaware of his surroundings until the end of the following turn.
Heightened Senses
.....Note that vampires do not breathe. As such, the Kindred do not smell unless they actively will themselves to do so, and thus cannot be overwhelmed suddenly by smells unless they are actively smelling at the time.)....
Action: Instant

I can autofire in your direction. Let's be charitable and give the shot a -5 to hit. Long burst is a +3, a laser sight is a +1

No, again. That isn't how laser sights work on two fronts.

WoD Core, page 141 posted:

Sights, Laser
Function: An aiming device that can be built into almost any kind of firearm that literally draws a light bead on a target. A laser sight improves accuracy, but the device is useless with autofire (see p. 160). Laser sights are only useful for hitting targets up to a weapon's medium
range; the normal -2 penalty to hit a target at medium range is negated.

Once again, these sorts of conversations are silly because.....

You don't know the most basic elements of the rules. Nor do you understand the equipment or the abilities you are referencing, much less how they interact. Your ignorance is what makes this discussion silly. We don't even have to go into a numbers game for that, and I don't feel like double checking all the other numbers you posted, which are just as likely to be horrifically wrong.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 13, 2013

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Which helps us get at one of the other problems of White Wolf games. They had no conception that rules actually affected tone, storytelling, and narrative as long as you were going to involve rules and dice. It always felt like every WW system I ever played was just kinda hacked and patched together without any idea of whether or not the mechanics actually served the narrative at all, which is a really loving important part of RPG design.

As to vampire fiction, I know we all 'know' Dracula, but the original book by Bram Stoker is really loving good. If you've never actually read it, I'd strongly recommend it.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Stroop There It Is posted:

quote:

V:tM Corebook posted:

10 Killing a mortal for food
9 Acting in the interests of another
8 Failing to be innovative in one's depredations
7 Asking aid of another
6 Accidental killing
5 Bowing to another Kindred's will
4 Intentional or impassioned killing
3 Aiding another
2 Accepting the superiority of another
1 Repenting one's behavior
The worst thing you can do is repent, and even just intentionally helping someone else is SUPER TERRIBLE. You can't just be evil, you have to completely devote yourself to testing the conviction of the good.

So, er, as someone with no background on this other than the thread, am I reading this right? In following this Path, you have to be evil beyond evil without killing mortals even accidentally?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

Which helps us get at one of the other problems of White Wolf games. They had no conception that rules actually affected tone, storytelling, and narrative as long as you were going to involve rules and dice. It always felt like every WW system I ever played was just kinda hacked and patched together without any idea of whether or not the mechanics actually served the narrative at all, which is a really loving important part of RPG design.

This is one of the reasons I like nHunter. In the splats dedicated to vampires, werewolves, and other game lines, the splats specifically mention that you can try using the actual rules from other game lines if you really want to, but you're probably better off ignoring those game lines and designing the critters you're going after yourself or use the book's rules.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
guys stop fighting you're making my mascara run

Ok real talk:

Can someone explain to me what a typical adventure for Sabbat PC's would be like. Whenever I read about the Sabbat, I can't imagine running a coherent game around them. I have no idea what it is that they as a sect and as individuals want in the short term or the long term. I don't understand why the Masquerade doesn't come crashing down around them with their whole "gently caress kine" attitude. And most of all, I kind of don't even really see the appeal beyond their being "darker" than the Camarilla.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Sleep of Bronze posted:

So, er, as someone with no background on this other than the thread, am I reading this right? In following this Path, you have to be evil beyond evil without killing mortals even accidentally?

You can kill humans all you want, just not by accident. That would be sloppy and un-evil.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

insanityv2 posted:

Ok real talk:

Can someone explain to me what a typical adventure for Sabbat PC's would be like. Whenever I read about the Sabbat, I can't imagine running a coherent game around them. I have no idea what it is that they as a sect and as individuals want in the short term or the long term. I don't understand why the Masquerade doesn't come crashing down around them with their whole "gently caress kine" attitude. And most of all, I kind of don't even really see the appeal beyond their being "darker" than the Camarilla.

You're bound to get responses like "they don't leave any witnesses" from what I understand. It seems kind of silly.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

LeJackal posted:

You can kill humans all you want, just not by accident. That would be sloppy and un-evil.

Number 4 says no intentional killing though.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

insanityv2 posted:

Ok real talk:

Sabbat chronicles do tend to be more shoot/stabby than Cam ones, but there's still plenty of politicking in the Sabbat. You could do infiltration of a cam city (recon/low key nature emphasized), some ancient elder was unearthed or whose plan was discovered and you need to act before Bad Things Happen, actions against rival packs, or even just good old fashioned intracity politics. Just because they don't have the cachet of rarified Elysia doesn't mean there isn't a give and take for influence and resources.

As for the Masquerade, they may not follow the Camarilla Tradition per se, but it IS one of the rules that Caine (supposedly) handed down eons ago. It's still frowned upon to be obvious and vulgar in full view of humans, especially on your own turf--"don't poo poo where you eat." Breaches in cities you're attacking, however, are a nice way to keep the Cam occupied by forcing them to clean up your mess in addition to the damage you wreak.

As for the Path of Night, by killing someone you're ending and limiting the evil you inflict on them. Killing is so gauche and unimaginative for that set of morality. It could be justifiable (outside of combat; survival is paramount of course) if you kill to inflict evil on another. But that would probably still be a Conviction roll.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 13, 2013

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Number 4 says no intentional killing though.

Oh, humans count under that system? I'd better re-read my oWoD source books again.

Augustin Iturbide
Jun 4, 2012
Woops, I do not have the Requiem core on hand so I could not look up if the that action is reflexive or not, but I remembered that is was. If that Auspexed vampire can make a several resolve rolls then the scenario can play out the same way. Or not, depending on a lot of things!

All I really wanted to do was talk a little bit about nWoD, and I don't know why I started arguing about this. Just forget about it.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Woops, I do not have the Requiem core on hand so I could not look up if the that action is reflexive or not, but I remembered that is was. If that Auspexed vampire can make a several resolve rolls then the scenario can play out the same way. Or not, depending on a lot of things!

It can't, mostly resting on the fact that you don't know the rules to the system and are unwilling to actually reference them. Why are you still trying to argue with me when its obvious you don't know what you're talking about and I obviously do? I'm quoting rules verbatim and citing page numbers, you're generating arguments based on half-remembered information you might have read at some point in the past. Considering that you've gotten extremely basic things wrong, I think its pretty clear that your memory is not something on which to base a rules discussion.

So please, stop being a stubborn idiot and concede.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 13, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
NWoD Changeling supremacy! :byodood:

Augustin Iturbide
Jun 4, 2012
Christ, I just remember playing in a Werewolf game and another player was stealth-specked and it didn't seem very effective, especially compared to stealth in the Mage game I was in. It is 100% unnecessary to be an rear end in a top hat about this.

Edit: read your rap sheet, I'm out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Wait, Task Force Valkyrie is World of Darkness XCom? Tell me more :allears:
I might need to get into the whole WoD thing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Its more ethically compromised than X-com (the newer games, from what I have seen of the earlier ones... not so much!)

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Christ, I just remember playing in a Werewolf game and another player was stealth-specked and it didn't seem very effective, especially compared to stealth in the Mage game I was in. It is 100% unnecessary to be an rear end in a top hat about this.

You're making up a bunch of stuff to try proving a point and acting so undeservedly smug about your ignorance and you suggest I'm the rear end in a top hat? What a joke.

:downs: Hey guys, let me tell you how something I'm ignorant about works!
:eng101: Actually that is all wrong. Here are the sources with correct information.
:downs: God why do you have to be such an rear end in a top hat! :qq:

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 13, 2013

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Josef bugman posted:

Its more ethically compromised than X-com (the newer games, from what I have seen of the earlier ones... not so much!)

Hey, man, if that farm didn't want to be reduced to rubble and flame such that it resembles Mordor, it shouldn't have had Sectoids inside it. Ain't nothin' unethical about that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Hey, man, if that farm didn't want to be reduced to rubble and flame such that it resembles Mordor, it shouldn't have had Sectoids inside it. Ain't nothin' unethical about that.

I was more thinking of snake-men.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rockopolis posted:

Wait, Task Force Valkyrie is World of Darkness XCom? Tell me more :allears:
I might need to get into the whole WoD thing.

Task Force: VALKYRIE is the US government's top-secret organization dedicated to dealing with ENE's - ExtraNormal Entities. To that end, their Endowment - their special edge against the supernatural - comes in the form of the Advanced Armory, which is high-tech to the point of mild science fiction grade hardware designed to fight the supernatural. One of my favorite toys is the Bleeder. You know how vampire metabolism is based on blood? Funny things happen when you apply directed microwave radiation to them. Funny, and horrific things on a critical success that will ruin a vampire's poo poo in the blink of an eye.

Depending on how you play it, Valkyrie can be anything from X-Files to X-COM. The level of how much you can trust the organization's bureaucracy, and who exactly is giving the orders, are all up to the DM and players. Assuming you ignore the sidebar in Compacts and Conspiracies that just says it's being run by vampires.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I'm late to the vampire vs werewolf party, but it's deliberately unbalanced and it doesn't matter because the two very rarely intercept. The werewolf view on vampires is almost entirely dismissing them as a type of zombie possessed by a bane, basically a spirit of corruption, mostly because low-humanity werewolves stink of the Wyrm. And while werewolves are in theory opposed to such things, in practice they have so, so much larger fish to fry. Unless a vampire walks into a werewolf holy site, or through the territory of a particularly militant werewolf tribe, or hurts kinfolk, the werewolves just don't give a poo poo, because unlike actual banes vampires don't act like Captain Planet villains.

Of course, there are exceptions in both directions. Bone Gnawers (hobo werewolves) have been known to get along with the Nosferatu, and ditto Glass Walkers (corporate/cyberpunk werewolves) with the Ventrue and Shadow Lords (sneaky political bastard werewolves) with anyone realpolitik demands. On the other side of the spectrum, Children of Gaia (hippy werewolves), Black Furies (feminist werewolves) and Fianna (Celtic werewolves) give more shits about kinfolk and humanity in general so can clash with vampires more often.

From the other direction, vampires know that one-on-one they bite the curb when it comes to werewolf encounters, so they stick to cities and don't go out of their way to antagonize werewolves, apart from some particularly crazy Sabbat who signed on with Pentex. One advantage that the werewolves have over vampires that gets overlooked a lot is that while both have to keep their secret under wraps, werewolves drive any human that see them in their huge murder wolfman form temporarily insane thanks to humanity's racial memories of The Impergium*, so they can throw down at a moment's notice without worrying about witnesses.

*A three-thousand year period after humanity developed agriculture where werewolves would place population limits on each human settlement - without telling those humans what it was, mind you - and break open a big ol' can of indiscriminate murder whenever a settlement went over that limit. Werewolves are dicks.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

While this is an oWoD focused post, its still quite on point for the nWoD. Werewolves and vampires tend to keep their distance from each other because life is a lot easier if you haven't pissed off a gang of murderous wolfspirit-monsters/manipulative semi-immortal corpses.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

LeJackal posted:

While this is an oWoD focused post, its still quite on point for the nWoD. Werewolves and vampires tend to keep their distance from each other because life is a lot easier if you haven't pissed off a gang of murderous wolfspirit-monsters/manipulative semi-immortal corpses.

And then mages make an appearance and it comes down to nerds with physics puzzles all over again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Josef bugman posted:

And then mages make an appearance and it comes down to nerds with physics puzzles all over again.

Or Hunters show up. Say, TF: V with Hod rounds. What are Hod rounds, you ask? Wood bullets that have the same effect as staking a vampire. And then they Roadkill the werewolf with a semi.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Or Hunters show up. Say, TF: V with Hod rounds. What are Hod rounds, you ask? Wood bullets that have the same effect as staking a vampire. And then they Roadkill the werewolf with a semi.

Y'see I have a lot more time for hunters than I do for mages. I think its because of the "vehicular" aspect of about half of their kills.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Tehan posted:

werewolves drive any human that see them in their huge murder wolfman form temporarily insane thanks to humanity's racial memories of The Impergium*, so they can throw down at a moment's notice without worrying about witnesses.

Yeah, the Impergium, those were the days! But you need to remember that transforming in front of normal humans is a breach of the Veil, and as the Litany says: "The Veil shall not be lifted" even if the delirium covers your rear end.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

LeJackal posted:

I think it's because you're supposed to be a master of your own evil. If you do anything, it should be with purpose. YOUR purpose.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Josef bugman posted:

Y'see I have a lot more time for hunters than I do for mages. I think its because of the "vehicular" aspect of about half of their kills.

My nHunter game group bagged a werewolf pack leader with a custom-made realdoll, a bottle of perfume, a sound dampener from the Advanced Armory, a good grasp of psychology, and a freight train. Sometimes, rolling for damage just isn't necessary.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah, the real answer to 'who would win this supernatural fight' is that most supernaturals don't really have much reason to fight random other supernaturals. They all have plenty of their own poo poo to deal with that keeps them busy and it's generally just not worth it to antagonize enemies that you are completely unused to fighting.

To me Task Force: Valkyrie kind of sounds like Delta Green but not completely doomed from the word go, aided and abetted by the fact that nWoD has much less over the top power levels for its supernaturals. Well, most of them. There are still things that don't give a gently caress.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Feinne posted:

To me Task Force: Valkyrie kind of sounds like Delta Green but not completely doomed from the word go, aided and abetted by the fact that nWoD has much less over the top power levels for its supernaturals. Well, most of them. There are still things that don't give a gently caress.

Valkyrie isn't the only nHunter group, though. Hunters are divided into three levels: Cells, Compacts, and Conspiracies. Cells are your typical group of mundane human shmucks - they could be anything from a group of blue-collar types who stumbled onto something attacking the village priest and are now looking for things that go bump in the night to a military special forces squad that encountered something supernatural on mission. Compacts are fully fledged organizations that take part in the Vigil and come in all shapes and sizes. Conspiracies are the shadowy international organizations that can provide Endowments to their operatives, bestowing upon them unnatural capabilities (even if it's just Valkyrie's field tests for DARPA gear).

The Conspiracies of Hunter are:

Task Force: VALKYRIE. Delta Green, X-COM, the Initiative, the Bureau, what-have-you. Top-secret US government task force that deals with the supernatural. Endowment: Advanced Armory, cutting-edge tech available nowhere else and often custom-made for dealing with the supernatural.

Vanguard Serial Crimes Unit: Valkyrie's little brother in the FBI. VASCU specializes in dealing with unnatural serial killers - equal parts X-Files and Criminal Minds. Endowment: Teleinformatics, fully fledged psychic powers for when mere crime lab techno-wizardry is too passe.

Malleus Maleficarum: Shouldn't need any introduction. Endowment: Benedictions, ?divine? miracles that can even raise the dead.

The Cheiron Group: Privatized X-COM on a good day, Weyland-Yutani on a bad day. Corporation with mysterious origins that chops up supernaturals and turns them into modern medicine. Endowment: Thaumatechnology, sticking some of the more useful bits inside you intact.

The Lucifuge: Angsty types sign up here, they think they're descendants of demon lords if not Satan himself. Endowment: Castigations, your typical warlock powers.

Aegis Kai Doru: Claim to go back to Atlantis and that misuse of magic hosed everything up. Endowment: Relics, various magical artifacts they can hand out to their agents.

Ascending Ones: Your neighborhood drug dealers are actually an ancient Egyptian cult. Endowment: Elixirs, the potions section of every fantasy RPG splat.

The Knights of Saint George: Because the Templars are passe these days and the Malleus Maleficarum's got the Catholics covered. Endowment: Goetic Gospels, equal parts Cthulu Mythos and the really weird parts of the Bible.

The Cainite Heresy: oWoD Hunters in the guise of a homeless person cult. Endowment: Rites of Denial, blood magic not dissimilar to oVampire Tremere toys.

Les Mysteres: Complete idiots and modern-day shamans. Endowment: Rites, letting them deal with spirits benevolent and hostile (hint: they're all assholes).

Plus a boatload of Compacts, but Compacts by default don't have Endowments unless the DM wants to make some up.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Yeah, the Impergium, those were the days! But you need to remember that transforming in front of normal humans is a breach of the Veil, and as the Litany says: "The Veil shall not be lifted" even if the delirium covers your rear end.

One of my favourite bits about WtA is that every tribebook had a bit on that tribe's interpretation of the Litany and it always involves them justifying ignoring their least favourite parts of it - broadly, the more militant ones tend to piss all over Respect Those Beneath You while the less militant ones look askance at Submission To Those Of Higher Station and The First Share Of The Kill For The Greatest In Station. The Glass Walkers in particular are drat near anarcho-communist after their leadership crisis. And in these modern times of birth control and same-sex relations Garou Shall Not Mate With Garou can have a lot of wriggle room.

So while in theory the Veil Shall Not Be Lifted, in practice the you gotta do what you gotta do and the Veil can always be nailed down again afterwards. Some Red Talons want the Veil to be lifted to drag the other tribes into a wolves-vs-humans war. So the Veil is like the Masquerade - you're not supposed to breach it, but it happens all the goddamn time and unless it shows up on CNN or some poo poo nobody really cares unless they're looking for reasons to gently caress you over.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Vicissitude posted:

I think it's because you're supposed to be a master of your own evil. If you do anything, it should be with purpose. YOUR purpose.

Chaining the Beast talks about it as more along the lines of "you're cool to drive someone to kill themselves, because they were too weak to survive the test of faith". It also paints any neonate on the path as a blathering moron that tend to really play up the goofy satanist angle - it's the Elders on the path you have to actually worry about.

And let's not even get in to some of the even stupider paths. They made one so you could play a kinda sorta not really but close to it non-evil Baali.

Tehan posted:

One of my favourite bits about WtA is that every tribebook had a bit on that tribe's interpretation of the Litany and it always involves them justifying ignoring their least favourite parts of it - broadly, the more militant ones tend to piss all over Respect Those Beneath You while the less militant ones look askance at Submission To Those Of Higher Station and The First Share Of The Kill For The Greatest In Station. The Glass Walkers in particular are drat near anarcho-communist after their leadership crisis. And in these modern times of birth control and same-sex relations Garou Shall Not Mate With Garou can have a lot of wriggle room.
Bone Gnawers tend to take the "gently caress it, we'll put up with this poo poo but still be awesome" approach to the Litany. About the only part that they take completely 100% seriously are the parts about not eating humans (because they're sick and tired of being the ones blamed for it when it happens) and "Don't you be doin' nothin' that harms no Caern!" Because the last time they did Set took over Egypt.

What this roughly translates to is having small groups of hobo-wolves just kind of lazing about the Garou holy sites, being an eyesore and someone to beat up on, up until there's a threat and then you're suddenly up to your armpits in shiv-wielding, absolutely underhanded bastards that have somehow managed to combine guerrilla warfare with the age old "BUMRUSH THE FUCKER!"
tactic.

And then they go back to their trashcan fires and cheap hooch until you bribe them with pizza to do stuff.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

Bone Gnawers tend to take the "gently caress it, we'll put up with this poo poo but still be awesome" approach to the Litany. About the only part that they take completely 100% seriously are the parts about not eating humans (because they're sick and tired of being the ones blamed for it when it happens) and "Don't you be doin' nothin' that harms no Caern!" Because the last time they did Set took over Egypt.

What this roughly translates to is having small groups of hobo-wolves just kind of lazing about the Garou holy sites, being an eyesore and someone to beat up on, up until there's a threat and then you're suddenly up to your armpits in shiv-wielding, absolutely underhanded bastards that have somehow managed to combine guerrilla warfare with the age old "BUMRUSH THE FUCKER!"
tactic.

And then they go back to their trashcan fires and cheap hooch until you bribe them with pizza to do stuff.

:allears: Bone Gnawers are hardcore. They're the ultimate masters of doing a lot with a little. Other tribes tell stories of the time when they ruined the Wyrm's poo poo with giant silver swords and ancient mystical treasures, but the Bone Gnawers do it every day with Molotov cocktails and two-by-fours.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Om the subject of werewolves vs. Vampires, I'd like to share with you the formula that used to be on white wolf's Web page during the 90's regarding how using the dominate power on a werewolf worked.

First you gather your armor and fortitude pools, roll them and subtract your successes from 30. The resulting number is how much aggravated damage you take. :)

All joking aside, if you are ever looking into oWoD rules, I recommend the second edition clan books over the third. Third edition books included more rules, but they tended to suck out all the soul of the previous books.

The lasombra clan book for example, was written as a series of tales from sire to child, all written on black pages with silver text. The thing just reeked of character and gave you a great feel for the lasombra.

My favorite tale is that of a lasombra chess March during their annual party in Madrid. Eight humans, along withe eight specific clan vampires making up the ranked pieces.

The reigning master got frustrated with his impromptu king (who was bitching about being nailed to the board since he did not wish to participate), and made a critical error. When he was not allowed to retract the mistake after immediately realizing it he, "Made a shameful display upon the board in the fashion of a mortal flipping the table upon realizing his defeat."

A high ranking lasombra lost his poo poo and frenzy murdered a bunch of people over a game of chess. It's so rediculous but i love it.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

citybeatnik posted:

Chaining the Beast talks about it as more along the lines of "you're cool to drive someone to kill themselves, because they were too weak to survive the test of faith". It also paints any neonate on the path as a blathering moron that tend to really play up the goofy satanist angle - it's the Elders on the path you have to actually worry about.

And let's not even get in to some of the even stupider paths. They made one so you could play a kinda sorta not really but close to it non-evil Baali.

Okay hold the phone. Aren't the Baali supposed to, like, worship demons? I mean, their name implies they're connected with Baal, and he's one of the Earthbound and therefore is a very unpleasant sort.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Of course, when it comes to supernatural fights, I kind of figure mages will win every time provided they know an attack is coming(and with Fate magic, they can find out well in advance)since being able to alter reality with your mind is kind of OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

UrbicaMortis posted:

Of course, when it comes to supernatural fights, I kind of figure mages will win every time provided they know an attack is coming(and with Fate magic, they can find out well in advance)since being able to alter reality with your mind is kind of OP.

Unless you exploit the mages' signature weakness: their own pride. That whole "we can win every time, we're OP since we can alter reality with our mind" mentality is both common and not conducive to long life. As antagonists, I've always viewed mages as the ones you really have to outsmart - they have more potential power than just about anything else in the World of Darkness, but the human mind wielding that power is as dumb, short-sighted, and arrogant as any other human mind if not more so due to overconfidence in the power it wields. All the arcane power in the world won't save a mage from simply getting hit by a bus while crossing the street.

• Locked thread