Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

No point playing Starbound right now, they are going to often wipe characters and worlds and its quite buggy. Best to wait off a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I'm about 2000 posts behind in this thread, so forgive me for asking what I assume is a common question.

I'm in hardmode with only plantera and gollum left to kill. I know the jungle temple opens as well as the hardmode dungeon after plantera goes down, but after that, is there an official "end" to the game? I'm kinda ready to be done with Terraria but I don't want to leave a ton of content on the table.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Not yet really, but supposedly there's a final boss on the way. Also some kind of mecha-santa for the Christmas patch.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jacada posted:

No point playing Starbound right now, they are going to often wipe characters and worlds and its quite buggy. Best to wait off a while.

Tiy has actually recently said that character wipes will be less common than thought at first in the future, by the way.

Argable
Aug 18, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Tiy has actually recently said that character wipes will be less common than thought at first in the future, by the way.

"Less common" is nice, but it isn't never. Until it can be guaranteed that I won't lose what I build/collect I'm not going to put any more playtime into it than dicking around with friends once in a while.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Oggumogoggum posted:

Then I'm going to start farming the pumpkin moon for the best wings and grappling hook.
You can farm the Pumpkin Moon for the Hoverboard and Ivy Whip?

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
I just had to post that this game improves a lot when you play multiplayer. Many onerous tasks are easy peasy when there are other people to perform other tasks.

There are a few points that bother me:

Is it just me or is crimson really hard to get to generate? My friend generated 5 different large worlds and all of them have corruption.

Are there any mods to fix chests carrying WAY too many duplicate items? I keep looking for tiger claws and keep getting boomerangs, blowpipes, aglets. Personally I think the game should check the content of each chest and try to make sure that it tries to put as many different items from that tier of chest as possible. Except magic mirrors. Magic mirrors should match exactly the number of players in the map.

Are there any news about Terraria 2? I've read a few posts about Red wanting to take an infinite worlds approach to Terraria 2. I would like this idea as it would let you explore other places with your best gear instead of going over the same map.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've generated 3 worlds, and so far 2 of them had Crimson. It's just the flip of the coin.

As far as taking your character exploring across various worlds, there's nothing saying you can't. The only really annoying part would be having to build a new town in each one and then digging down and beating the Wall of Flesh each time.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Zemyla posted:

You can farm the Pumpkin Moon for the Hoverboard and Ivy Whip?

Spooky hook and spooky wings

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I think the dual hook is better than the ivy whip anyway.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

TerryLennox posted:

I just had to post that this game improves a lot when you play multiplayer. Many onerous tasks are easy peasy when there are other people to perform other tasks.

I would love a mod where you could have minions to order around - whether to follow you and assist you in combat, mining, or you draw up an outline and have them build something while you're gone or collect resources...

Sadly I have no idea if it's even feasible.

lightly beaten
Oct 26, 2004

HappyfeetHappyfeetHappyfeet

Fun Shoe
I was clearing out an arena before I took on Plantera and I accidently blew her up with dynamite. Am I screwed? I can't seem to find another bulb.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gwen posted:

I was clearing out an arena before I took on Plantera and I accidently blew her up with dynamite. Am I screwed? I can't seem to find another bulb.
I think if you go chump the Destroyer again it'll spawn another bulb.

lightly beaten
Oct 26, 2004

HappyfeetHappyfeetHappyfeet

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

I think if you go chump the Destroyer again it'll spawn another bulb.

Well thanks. I'll do that as I am in need of more Hallowed bars anyway.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

There should be multiple bulbs anyway so just look around the jungle.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Yeah. There are a couple bulbs to start and each hardmode boss you kill creates another bulb.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I'm pretty sure the bulbs spawn naturally, as I've gone through jungle runs for life fruits without any hard mode bosses fought in between and found bulbs where there weren't any before.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there any news on when the next update is coming?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

There will most likely be one within the next ten days, seeing as it will be a Christmas update. As for updates after that, apparently Red's said that he's going to make the update with the lunar stuff as 1.3 then he'll hand off the game to a team so he can make other games.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Akett posted:

There will most likely be one within the next ten days, seeing as it will be a Christmas update. As for updates after that, apparently Red's said that he's going to make the update with the lunar stuff as 1.3 then he'll hand off the game to a team so he can make other games.

Did he say anything further about Extra Large worlds? We thought that they were going to come in 1.2 and after they didn't he alluded to them in a future patch. This was months ago, so I was wondering if anyone had heard more about it.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The christmas stuff from last year is taking effect. Friends and I were mucking around on a new world and we were getting presents of delicious candy blocks last night.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Did he say anything further about Extra Large worlds? We thought that they were going to come in 1.2 and after they didn't he alluded to them in a future patch. This was months ago, so I was wondering if anyone had heard more about it.

They were mentioned, they may make it into 1.3, or they might not make it in until a hypothetical 1.5. Supposedly the reason for the delay will be made apparent when they arrive.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Bought this way back and finally decided to dig in after playing Starbound for 10 hours. Are there any recommended servers, SA-based or otherwise? I'd like help gearing up because the game seems far more difficult than Starbound in that regard. Also I joined a public server and none of my inventory pieces went with me. Is that a bug or a server-side choice?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Friendly Factory posted:

Bought this way back and finally decided to dig in after playing Starbound for 10 hours. Are there any recommended servers, SA-based or otherwise? I'd like help gearing up because the game seems far more difficult than Starbound in that regard. Also I joined a public server and none of my inventory pieces went with me. Is that a bug or a server-side choice?

You should have everything when you enter a hosted server, so I guess it's a bug.
The hardest part of Terraria is going from gold -> weird ores and the beginning of hardmode where all your stuff sucks.

If you cannot find any friends, then keep a bomb in your inventory and buy 30 bombs from the demolitionist when he moves in and go hog wild on corruption.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I've owned this game since it came out, and never really got into it.

Fired it up last week, and it got it's hooks in me finally. When this game sucks you in it sucks you in, doesn't it?

Anyway, I just beat the Skeleton boss guarding the dungeon, and am exploring my way through that. Even though I have pretty good gear (crimson armor set and a couple of +4 def accessories for like ~30 def without potion) it's kind of tough. Which is nice, because I've been steamrolling the game.

I think this time I got into it easier because I found out about the Starfury/Red balloon on the sky islands you can get on the start, as well as the Sandstorm in a Bottle/Magic Carpet from the Pyramids. So I admit I kind of cheese it by spawning worlds until I got a couple of Pyramids and Ski Islands and grabbed me some great starter loot. Having that stuff made manuvering around and especially back up from digging through caverns much more easy and stress free. That really helped me get in the game, as I had a sword that would woop rear end and could double jump and float around on my magic carpet like a madman.

Looking forward to Hard mode, already broke into the underworld and snagged a Guide Voodoo Doll by chance, before I even started the dungeon. I'm gonna finish the dungeon, then get all the stuff from the underground jungle (is there boss there?) and then make my way through the underworld, loot a bunch, make me some hellstone stuff and then take on the wall 'o flesh.

I'm playing by myself, and the small world seems like it's a good size. I wish it were just slightly bigger though. I'm worried that by the time I've made it to hard mode and beyond it's going to start to feel like I've done it all in that world, so to speak.

I guess I can always start another one and speedrun through it real quick, but still. Maybe I should have went for medium.

Anyway, as a last question, if I've been playing my dude single player this whole time, I can take him online as well whenever I want right? There's no difference between single/multiplayer characters, right?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Yes, characters transfer between single and multiplayer. You can make a server that forces server-side characters but that's another story.

EcoBlue
Jan 1, 2008
If there's interest, I could run a Terraria server. Do people have a large preference for Corruption/Crimson?
I'm personally at near-endgame loot, but I burned out about a month ago after binging for a week. 70 hours in a week isn't excessive at all! :cripes:

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
I understand this make me a wuss and everything, but is there a mod that lets me hold down M1 to auto-attack with swords? I can't seem to find one even though a bunch of people on the internet seem to want this feature.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Friendly Factory posted:

I understand this make me a wuss and everything, but is there a mod that lets me hold down M1 to auto-attack with swords? I can't seem to find one even though a bunch of people on the internet seem to want this feature.

Some swords auto attack, and some dont.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

ConfusedUs posted:

Some swords auto attack, and some dont.
Yes, I think he's aware of that. In fact that seems to be the exact problem he's trying to remedy.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Friendly Factory posted:

The developer thinks autoswing is a wonderful way to "balance" weapons in the game apparently, there's no easy way to get rid of it but I think some one posted an auto hotkey script or something to do it somewhere in the thread.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
There are so many mods that could improve the quality of life:

All swords autoswing, because RSI is no fun.

Dyes stack. Try stocking dyes...see how many chests you need.

A randomization duplication check: when the world is generated, after all chests are positioned, the game should check all chests to ensure the least amount of duplicate items. It really sucks when I keep finding blowpipes but not aglets or tiger climbing claws. This second check will ensure that once all items of a tier found in chests are present, ONLY then does it start duplicating.

World wrap-around. I don't get why maps do not wrap around.

Drop checker: doesn't it piss you off when you are farming for specific vanity or armor sets that once you get two parts, it becomes really hard to get the third. The drop checker checks your inventory and if you have two pieces of the set, then the next drop from the appropriate enemy is the missing part of the set.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

TerryLennox posted:

There are so many mods that could improve the quality of life:

All swords autoswing, because RSI is no fun.

Dyes stack. Try stocking dyes...see how many chests you need.

A randomization duplication check: when the world is generated, after all chests are positioned, the game should check all chests to ensure the least amount of duplicate items. It really sucks when I keep finding blowpipes but not aglets or tiger climbing claws. This second check will ensure that once all items of a tier found in chests are present, ONLY then does it start duplicating.

World wrap-around. I don't get why maps do not wrap around.

Drop checker: doesn't it piss you off when you are farming for specific vanity or armor sets that once you get two parts, it becomes really hard to get the third. The drop checker checks your inventory and if you have two pieces of the set, then the next drop from the appropriate enemy is the missing part of the set.

I like all of these except for maybe wrap-around as I'm not quite sure what would happen to the ocean biome. I suppose that he could just make a big body of water in the "middle" of the map, then. Apart from that, these are all good suggestions.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
New update, just some minor stuff(besides frostmoon) it seems:

quote:

Mechanics and Gameplay:

The content of presents have been altered and now contain more goodies. They are also now placeable and stack in your inventory.
Santa Claus now has a larger variety of Holiday related items that he will sell to you.
Frostmoon is a new event that can be triggered in hardmode. It has 15 standard waves as well as 5 extra bonus waves.
There are several new pets as well as 1 new mount that will drop off one of the Frostmoon bosses.
Holiday themed wallpaper can now be purchased from the Painter.
Maximum player buff slots has been increased to 22.

New Music:

There is now an alternate to the underground theme.
There is a new track that will play during the Frostmoon.

Bug fixes:

Recording Pumpkin song no longer creates an Ankh.
NPCs now go to shelter during eclipses.
World gen no longer saves broken chest slots.
Increased the damage bonus of stealthing in Shroomite armor.
Items which regenerate health per hit now have a cap of 2 hearts per second.
Flame traps will no longer trigger healing from Spectre Armor.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Welp, guess Specter Armor's finally been nerfed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Doesn't that make Pumpkin Moon by yourself literally impossible now?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Doesn't that make Pumpkin Moon by yourself literally impossible now?

50 hp/s is still significant, should be enough to live.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think it means you can't literally stand in one place for the entire moon though now.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think a fundamental problem with the Pumpkin Moon is the drops that are restricted to the final wave.
It's not an event you can "beat". You just try to last through it. And in singleplayer you're obviously not going to get quite as far, but you can at least work to take down a few mourning woods and pumpkings. The issue I have with it is that you can't, for instance, get the Pumpking trophy until the very end, which you're all but guaranteed not to reach if you're going solo. Just make the drops feasible for every wave, and then it becomes a true "see how far you can get before you die" challenge like I assume it was meant to be.
That, and maybe make it dispel when you die, like most bosses do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

I think a fundamental problem with the Pumpkin Moon is the drops that are restricted to the final wave.
It's not an event you can "beat". You just try to last through it. And in singleplayer you're obviously not going to get quite as far, but you can at least work to take down a few mourning woods and pumpkings. The issue I have with it is that you can't, for instance, get the Pumpking trophy until the very end, which you're all but guaranteed not to reach if you're going solo. Just make the drops feasible for every wave, and then it becomes a true "see how far you can get before you die" challenge like I assume it was meant to be.
That, and maybe make it dispel when you die, like most bosses do.

You could get to the hardest wave pretty reliably in SP playing with spells, but that's about the only way to do it reliably other than weird poo poo with cannons and wiring.

• Locked thread