Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

Bootcha posted:

I really got to give a lot of props to cknoor for his videos and livestreams, I've learned a lot about the middlegame with positioning and risk-management. Playing D against a running team seems to be my best bet, though I'm not sure how to play D against a passing team, and most of cknoor's opponents are primarily runner teams.

First of most teams are running teams, there are only 3 passing teams in the game so learning to defend against the run is the most important.
But against teams that rely on ag the key is to make them roll dice, a ag4 dodge have a 1 in 6 chance of failing, so mark players while keeping enough threats in your own backfield so that they can’t stall in your half.
The constant dodge rolls will make them eat up their re rolls while their players are getting removed from the pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Your ability to beat a well-developed passing team is greatly aided by your ability to murder the crap out of their leveled throwers/catchers/wardancers.

Thankfully, players on a wood/high/pro elf team are expensive, so they aren't going to have many spares, if any. Meaning they're going to have to field throwers/catchers on every drive. When you've got the ball, your primary objective is still to score, but whenever you get the opportunity to swing at a positional, take it if it won't show down your offense.

And if it's their drive, if you're not going to stop them, at least try to hurt someone valuable while putting enough of a threat on the ball to discourage stalling. And if you can't do that last bit, gangfouling a favorite player each turn is a fine way to encourage a faster touchdown. Just don't do it if you're already down players. Elves are hard to deal with as-is. Let them get a 2+ man advantage, and I hope you like losing 4-0.

Obviously, even a level one lineman is a serious scoring threat on an elf team, but every blodging nerves-of-steel catcher in the injury box is one fewer un-containable fucker you'll have to worry about. Take out a level 4 thrower, and they can't just hang the ball-carrier back alone until they're ready for a 2+ long bomb anymore.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 17, 2013

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Kick first and 2-1 grind them to a pulp

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Yeah, assuming an elfy player is going to score quickly doesn't really work.

You want to try to get a player or two up on them early, and then put pressure on their ball carrier while inflicting as much damage as possible. Force them to choose between fighting a losing battle of attrition, or losing the ball and potentially one of their main ball carriers.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
My game has started crashing on startup after working fine for a few weeks. Have any of you fine folk encountered this / solved it without a reinstall? Will my teams survive the uninstall process (only really concerned because I'm in RSL)?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Bobo the Red posted:

My game has started crashing on startup after working fine for a few weeks. Have any of you fine folk encountered this / solved it without a reinstall? Will my teams survive the uninstall process (only really concerned because I'm in RSL)?

All your multiplayer teams will be fine, your singleplayer teams might be lost.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Your online teams should survive a reinstall, they're stored on an external server.

Your offline teams are probably stored in a My Games folder or something.

Are you running the game on Steam? If so, have you gone through the usual steps? (Deleting clientregistry.blob, etc)

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Bobo the Red posted:

I don't know if it's the same thing, but my game started acting up at one point after I updated my anti-virus / anti-spyware and would fail to load or crash out before starting. I solved it by turning off the programs when I wanted to play BB, and then turning them back on afterwards.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Presuming an elfy team will score on turn 2-3 is pretty valid in most cases since any basher worth their salt will give the gently caress up on trying to stop them and just focus on murdering the hell out of as many people as possible. Sure, you can and should send a couple guys after their receiver to gently point out that it's time to score and give the ball back, but the reality of the situation is that if you're not injuring the rest of their team they'll just dodge/leap/etc away from your slower dudes pretty much forever without a huge risk of failure (for Blood Bowl, anyway).

But if you're breaking armor at least once a turn the elf coach is going to have to seriously ask themselves if they can afford to keep taking these losses, since their only hope of any sort of defense is a screen that requires a fair number of players on the pitch.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Thanks guys.

cmndstab posted:

Your online teams should survive a reinstall, they're stored on an external server.

Your offline teams are probably stored in a My Games folder or something.

Are you running the game on Steam? If so, have you gone through the usual steps? (Deleting clientregistry.blob, etc)

I'm not sure I know the usual steps. As ridiculous as it seems, this the first Steam game I've had trouble with in a long long time.

clientregistry.blob didn't help though. I guess I'll just reinstall.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Coolguye posted:

Sure, you can and should send a couple guys after their receiver to gently point out that it's time to score and give the ball back, but the reality of the situation is that if you're not injuring the rest of their team they'll just dodge/leap/etc away from your slower dudes pretty much forever without a huge risk of failure (for Blood Bowl, anyway).
The thing is, that applies to their entire team. An elf coach that has any idea what he's doing won't be leaving his players next to yours unless he fails a dodge early in his turn. Especially if they've gotten enough through your defense to start screening to keep pressure off the ball.

By all means, you should be marking players so that you can take advantage of an early turnover, but realistically you're going to need to make your blitzes count, because until they fail a roll, your blitz might be the only punch you get to throw that turn.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Does anyone still play this game? I just realized I have a lizardman team that I have left neglected for months.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Arglebargle III posted:

Does anyone still play this game? I just realized I have a lizardman team that I have left neglected for months.

Hang out in IRC, sometimes you can find a pick-up game..

Washout posted:

Where can I find goons to play with?
IRC - #tgbloodbowl on irc.synirc.org Pretty much required!

And it's a good way to keep appraised of the various Goon tournaments. The Random Skill League is heading into the playoffs after this week, and there may be a Goon Bowl starting up soon. These long-running tournaments are really how the game is designed to be played, and they're a lot of fun! And the time commitment is negligible- only 1 hourish per week!

Random Skill League 4 Thread

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bobo the Red posted:

Thanks guys.

I'm not sure I know the usual steps. As ridiculous as it seems, this the first Steam game I've had trouble with in a long long time.

clientregistry.blob didn't help though. I guess I'll just reinstall.

Usual steps: go to game, right click, properties. Find the game data tab or something like that, and select the button for "verify integrity of local cache". That should identify any problems and selectively download and fix those.

Or you can just reinstall (and sometimes verify doesn't work, so then you have to reinstall).

Heads up, verify can sometimes take a good amount of time. But so does reinstalling! :v:

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

If there is any interest in Blood Bowl left for people, it is currently 4 pounds in the UK on steam, which I imagine means it is about $6-$7.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Funso Banjo posted:

If there is any interest in Blood Bowl left for people, it is currently 4 pounds in the UK on steam, which I imagine means it is about $6-$7.

$5.99 on the US Steam store.

Routah
Feb 6, 2012
Let me present the greatest Blood Bowler:

Most SPP in the league by far, most TDs, greatest outfit, there's literally nothing he can't do.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Routah posted:

there's literally nothing he can't do.
except take a hit :smuggo:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Away all Goats posted:

except take a hit :smuggo:

he can take hits fine with block. Now GIVING hits on the other hand...

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Just picked this up on sale last night. If I want a team that mostly just punches the hell out of people and then scores just enough to win, I should pick Orcs or...?

Also, best way to start out learning is Campaign or Story?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Just picked this up on sale last night. If I want a team that mostly just punches the hell out of people and then scores just enough to win, I should pick Orcs or...?

Orcs are the best punchy team for a new player (and probably the best team for a new player, period), yes.

Campaign mode is alright for learning the base mechanics, but the AI's dumb enough that you won't really learn beyond the bare essentials until you make the jump into online play.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

vulturesrow posted:

Definitely try Orcs first. They're good at punching/caging their way down the field.

Playing a few one-off single player games is probably the best way to learn the interface. The AI is absolutely poo poo, so once you know how to move guys around and do things, you'll want to create a team in Naggaroth Open and use matchmaker (searches for a team of equal approximate value to your own). Don't forget to set your desired turn length to 4 minutes before using the matchmaker. The default setting is a minimum of 40 seconds per turn which is an awful way to learn.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Random Hajile posted:

Orcs are the best punchy team for a new player (and probably the best team for a new player, period), yes.

Campaign mode is alright for learning the base mechanics, but the AI's dumb enough that you won't really learn beyond the bare essentials until you make the jump into online play.

Just out of curiosity, after orcs who are the best at mostly wreaking havoc with the other players team?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

vulturesrow posted:

Just out of curiosity, after orcs who are the best at mostly wreaking havoc with the other players team?

Chaos. Or Chaos Dorfs.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Brainamp posted:

Chaos. Or Chaos Dorfs.

These are both subpar (especially for beginners and at low tv) teams though. I'd recommend Necromantic if you're looking for a team that's bashy but much faster than orcs.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Also depends entirely on the TV for bashing. Don't worry too much about your first team. Unless you are a blood bowl savant you will do silly things and they'll die and you'll give them silly skills. Once you learn the ropes you'll have a much better idea which team is for you and you'll want to start over anyhow.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

At higher team levels, Chaos or Chaos Dwarves, but you've got to build them up a bit. Orcs start with more skills on their players, but Chaos has access to mutations. The big mutation that makes the difference is Claw - hit someone with a clawed player, and they'll break like they were an Elf.

But having a few players start with Block and a sure hands player is what makes Orcs the better team for a new player.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
Right out the box undead is the bashiest, two st5 mighty blow guys without loner is just very good.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So I just picked up this game thanks to the sale on Steam and having briefly played the tabletop, and I started out with a Skaven team. My roster is a Rat Ogre, 1 Thrower, 4 Gutter Runners, 2 Stormvermin, and 3 Linemen. My strategy in the TT game was to pretty much play a few games, get my runners an extra MA, Sure Feet, and Sprint and laugh as I scored touchdowns from the middle line. The Rat Ogre and Stormvermin punch a hole if need be, and the linemen are there to provide assists.

My question is, does this still work? Anything I need to improve or look out for? It's been a while so I barely remember what skills I need beyond that.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Hipster Occultist posted:

My question is, does this still work? Anything I need to improve or look out for? It's been a while so I barely remember what skills I need beyond that.

Short answer is yes. gently caress rats.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

So I just picked up this game thanks to the sale on Steam and having briefly played the tabletop, and I started out with a Skaven team. My roster is a Rat Ogre, 1 Thrower, 4 Gutter Runners, 2 Stormvermin, and 3 Linemen. My strategy in the TT game was to pretty much play a few games, get my runners an extra MA, Sure Feet, and Sprint and laugh as I scored touchdowns from the middle line. The Rat Ogre and Stormvermin punch a hole if need be, and the linemen are there to provide assists.

1TTDs are totally a thing, but you're quite likely to play a few Dwarves/Chaos Dwarves early on, so be a little worried about that I guess?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sure this will work but the instant you fail any roll (either a dodge/gfi on the 1ttd or an injury roll on a linerat) your 1ttd rat is going to get gangfouled by 8 guys over and over until he's off the pitch.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The inherent problem with 1ttd rats is that they're inevitably going to concentrate a ton of SPP on one player. This is ok if the player is pretty durable, but Gunners are not. At the TV 1300 or so level you're going to start running into a lot more Tackle, even without playing against Dwarves. If your Gunner blows a Dodge roll it's really bad because your opponent will have two big reasons to put a ton of guys around your fallen star player - first to collect the ball, and second to stomp him into oblivion. And then once that Gunner gets -AG or -MA from a serious injury, well.

You'll definitely make a couple of people seethe in fury before that happens, though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Counterpoint: GRs level up crazy fast anyway, you can probably feed most of your non-1-turn TDs to other GRs and occasionally stormvermin, and linerats shouldn't ever get more than 1 or 2 skills anyway so who cares. In TV-matched play there's no inherent benefit over having a higher TV.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
Rats kinda suck in mm but are really good in short tournaments, since they can get a lot of spp concentrated in a few key players quick. Any serious mm team with proper min/maxing will have several tackle POMB players at around 1200 tv. The most common approach these days to rat mm is to play without rogre and thrower, just 4 gr, 2 sv and 2 line rats. That will either make you go up against teams that have around 150 tv less than you and at sub 1300 tv will often mean they have no way to stop your blodge ss gr. Or you will atleast not get chrushed by teams abusing the mm in the same way.

The down side is that you give away a wizard, but skaven is one of the teams that can deal with that easily due to speed and ag.

1ttd is just rolling the dice and praying, the opponents knows its coming since it only makes sense to do on turn 8 or 16, so you still have to make the 3 dodges.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ZigZag posted:

1ttd is just rolling the dice and praying, the opponents knows its coming since it only makes sense to do on turn 8 or 16, so you still have to make the 3 dodges.

The Skaven OTTD he's talking about happens every drive, me and Burg both have ottd skaven teams and our last game's final score was something ridiculous like 8-7. And yeah, Skaven teams tend to accumulate SPP on a handful of players while everyone else is left to get murdered.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Counter-Counterpoint: If you try to run 0TTD skaven in a format that is not tourney or matchmaking nobody will want to play against you because the game will be boring as poo poo. Also it will be boring as poo poo for you, the player, because it forces the other person to counter your 0TTD with the 2-1 grind, turtling strategy.

Real men throw goblins for their 0TTD's

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

uPen posted:

The Skaven OTTD he's talking about happens every drive, me and Burg both have ottd skaven teams and our last game's final score was something ridiculous like 8-7. And yeah, Skaven teams tend to accumulate SPP on a handful of players while everyone else is left to get murdered.

But why would you ever do that? It maks no sense unless you are not playing to win.

GNU Order posted:

Counter-Counterpoint: If you try to run 0TTD skaven in a format that is not tourney or matchmaking nobody will want to play against you because the game will be boring as poo poo. Also it will be boring as poo poo for you, the player, because it forces the other person to counter your 0TTD with the 2-1 grind, turtling strategy.

Real men throw goblins for their 0TTD's

:confused: everything in this game revolves around the 2-1 grind, there will always be 1 team that will benefit from it, except from some extreme cases like pro-elf vs wood elf without a tree.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ZigZag posted:

But why would you ever do that? It maks no sense unless you are not playing to win.

Because playing a 2-1 grind is mind-numbingly boring and I would just as soon not play then play that way consistently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

2-1 grind only really applies during an agile team vs a bashy team, because it constitutes the only way the bashy team can even THINK about getting a win out of the game with their lower scoring potential. Bash vs Bash and agile vs agile have a lot of different methods of play.

But if you have badass Gunners as Skaven, yeah, you're basically forcing your opponent to play the 2-1 grind if they're Orcs, Chaos, Dwarves, Humans or pretty much anything else that's not Pro or Wood Elf. Even High Elves would probably get suckered into 2-1 grinding because they trade some of the normal scoring potential for extra durability.

Also, regarding concentrating SPP, a lot of teams just have dudes that are not worth building up. Human Linemen are arguably there, since they're good at nothing and have no good accesses. There's no point in giving them anything besides Block and then Kick on one of them.

And with that in mind, Linerats are DEFINITELY not worth building up, AV7 just means they're too likely to die. Skaven coaches basically treat Linerats the same way a Warhammer Strategy player treats Slaves - they get in there and die so more important units don't have to.

• Locked thread