Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

fong posted:

Can't remember if Anomen will get access to fighter HLAs as well is all - if not then Minsc is the obvious choice for tank later on and I'd want to start putting Anomen's proficiencies into dual wield.
No, Anomen only gets Cleric HLAs.

Zephro posted:

What's a good setup for a small (3-4 people) party? Would fighter, fighter/thief, cleric, mage work? I'm avoiding fighter/cleric because it's hard to cast spells while you're being hit in the face...
That sounds fine to me. I think I had played through IWD with a classic D&D party consisting of a Fighter, Mage, Cleric, Thief. I'd also soloed the game with a Fighter/Mage/Cleric and a Fighter/Mage/Thief. IWD has no XP caps; instead you stop levelling once you hit level 30, so these characters can become insanely powerful. (Especially the FMC since he gets a ton of buffs.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The trick to IWD is a majority of party members being a flavor of fighter, plus one or two people who can cast area denial spells like grease, web, entangle, spike stones, so on. Throw a bard in if you don't mind waiting for regen instead of casting cleric spells.

Everybody is an archer because its infinite rerolls until everyone has 18 dex for AC if not attack. The biggest reason not to have 4 fighters, a druid, and a mage is there isn't enough good loot for all those fighters.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Factor_VIII posted:

No, Anomen only gets Cleric HLAs.

Guess Minsc is my tank then. Probably for the best, Anomen needs to be free to cast anyway.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
When in doubt, Minsc.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Zephro posted:

Hm. Why so many thieves? You can surely get by with just the one?

It was mostly for flavor actually, I could have made a more optimized party if I wanted. Both my fighter/thieves pumped stealth so they could be scouts, and one of open locks/find traps each. My thief/mage could have been another fighter/mage for no real loss, but I preferred thief for the RP reasons (was a gnome) and to have a reason beyond lack of regular bows to go shortbow.

Also, I feel the need to add, a LOT of the good bows in the game, especially early on, are random loot, so you could get hosed over somewhat with this kind of bow-heavy party. That extra attack one in Dragon's Eye for example. A single archer shouldn't have an issue arming themselves though.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Angry Lobster posted:

The casting failure effect is only marginally useful, so don't bother trying to abuse it.
Sorry but this is bollocks. The casting failure effect makes any mage encounter trivial - especially the final fight with Irenicus

Factor_VIII posted:

Maybe Aerie wanted to have a child in order to use it to bind CHARNAME to her. A possible solution for the PC might have been to kill Aerie and then instruct the priest raising her not to bring the fetus back to life as well.

Maybe people would have paid more attention to the baby if you could use it for something. E.g. having it so that if you drop it on the ground when running away from a monster causes the monster to stop pursuing the PC and to go for the baby instead.
:staredog:

Iggles fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 14, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Behold the kind of mentality that gets the creepy mods made. Whether it's done ironically or not really doesn't matter.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

Also, I feel the need to add, a LOT of the good bows in the game, especially early on, are random loot, so you could get hosed over somewhat with this kind of bow-heavy party. That extra attack one in Dragon's Eye for example. A single archer shouldn't have an issue arming themselves though.

Nah, Messenger of Sseth always drops. There's a 4 base APR Longbow +4 (Longbow +4: Hammer) that's random loot in Dorn's Deep though.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

John McCain posted:

Nah, Messenger of Sseth always drops. There's a 4 base APR Longbow +4 (Longbow +4: Hammer) that's random loot in Dorn's Deep though.

Really? Guess it was the Protector then, which is quite solid (and I'd miss it in a multi-bow party) but obviously, extra APR is king. Of course, two awesome crossbows can drop instead so if you're running a Crossbow character, the point stands.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
Wait so can you trick the game somehow and have a lesbian relationship with Aerie and have a baby somehow?

And how is the Hexxat romance? I've got an evil chick I'm taking from BG1 to 2.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Arcaeris posted:

Wait so can you trick the game somehow and have a lesbian relationship with Aerie and have a baby somehow?

It's p. cool if you're into sassy black corpses.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Arcaeris posted:

I've not finished it (only recently started ToB) but so far it sure beats out the canon romances at least. No healing the poor, wounded woman (or Anomen) in sight, yet. Vague ToB spoilers: Apparently the ending is somewhat big or controversial or something? Never seen details, but it having large threads on official forums (get my bugfixes there) and general murmurs seem to indicate it, so it might go great/poo poo at that point I guess.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So I've heard a fair bit of rumbling about ToB bugs in the EE. Is it mostly just the new EE content that's unstable in ToB or what

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Insurrectionist posted:

I've not finished it (only recently started ToB) but so far it sure beats out the canon romances at least. No healing the poor, wounded woman (or Anomen) in sight, yet. Vague ToB spoilers: Apparently the ending is somewhat big or controversial or something? Never seen details, but it having large threads on official forums (get my bugfixes there) and general murmurs seem to indicate it, so it might go great/poo poo at that point I guess.

Pretty sure that's just more fanboys being homophobic and racist though, to be entirely honest.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Captain Oblivious posted:

So I've heard a fair bit of rumbling about ToB bugs in the EE. Is it mostly just the new EE content that's unstable in ToB or what

Mostly it's only in the new content. Rasaad's quest is pretty hosed at the moment, but I played through Neera's fine. I haven't played the other two. There are apparently a couple bugs here and there, but as a whole the core content is very stable.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Thanks for the all the IWD advice, guys. How about:

Dwarf Fighter, large swords / flails, 1h/shield.
Half-elf Fighter/Cleric, maces / hammers, 1h/shield.
Half-elf Fighter/Mage, Longbows / Staves
Half-elf Fighter/Thief, Shortbows / something

The fighter and fighter/cleric tank on the front lines, the other two hang back and shoot / nuke stuff. Or I could make the fighter/thief a melee character, which might be a better use - shortswords / daggers or something?

I thought about dualling the fighter/mage rather than multiclassing it, but eh. I took dwarf for the extra CON, but I might make it half-elf as well because of that one elves-only shield.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Arcaeris posted:

IIRC before one of the patches, female characters could somehow end up triggering the romance at the point when that dialogue turned up. So they not only found themselves in an unexpected relationship but suddenly as one of a newborn child's two mothers. That happening was pretty :stare:

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
So, I finished a (mostly) solo bard playthrough of BGEE a while ago, and got BG2EE so I could continue playing the character. I decided I'd take a small party this time, though I didn't recruit either Minsc or Jaheira, but I took Imoen with me (so I wouldn't miss out on any important loot). After finishing the dungeon I was level 11, with some 250k XP. Since I'm going for a small party taking Aerie along seemed like a good idea -- I've never had her in my party for an extended period, so this would be a good chance to push the limits of that insanely good multi-class combination. So I stroll into the circus, free her, press tab to check HP ("42? That's pretty high!") and then immediately check her character record: she's 10/11 cleric-mage with 1.2 million XP in the bank, holy poo poo!

... That's a bit imbalanced, isn't it?

oh, did I happen to mention that the clone in Irenicus' dungeon dropped a scroll of simulacrum?

Actually, since I don't have much experience with cleric/mages (or clerics!), does anyone have any suggestions for early spells I should be gunning for, or any general spell tips? Aside from polymorph shaenigans with sequencer buffs, I actually don't have much of a clue what I should have Aerie memorize (except "less different spells", the default spell selection for her leads to horrible clutter in the menus!).

verybad fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 14, 2013

Kallor
Apr 11, 2008

See their strength; see how easily you fall to their muscle and skill.

verybad posted:

So, I finished a (mostly) solo bard playthrough of BGEE a while ago, and got BG2EE so I could continue playing the character. I decided I'd take a small party this time, though I didn't recruit either Minsc or Jaheira, but I took Imoen with me (so I wouldn't miss out on any important loot). After finishing the dungeon I was level 11, with some 250k XP. Since I'm going for a small party taking Aerie along seemed like a good idea -- I've never had her in my party for an extended period, so this would be a good chance to push the limits of that insanely good multi-class combination. So I stroll into the circus, free her, press tab to check HP ("42? That's pretty high!") and then immediately check her character record: she's 10/11 cleric-mage with 1.2 million XP in the bank, holy poo poo!

... That's a bit imbalanced, isn't it?

oh, did I happen to mention that the clone in Irenicus' dungeon dropped a scroll of simulacrum?

Actually, since I don't have much experience with cleric/mages (or clerics!), does anyone have any suggestions for early spells I should be gunning for, or any general spell tips? Aside from polymorph shaenigans with sequencer buffs, I actually don't have much of a clue what I should have Aerie memorize (except "less different spells", the default spell selection for her leads to horrible clutter in the menus!).

she's such a high level because you are, I'm pretty sure each joinable npc has 2 or 3 different XP levels they can join at according to the pc xp/level, so if you are level 11, rather than 7/8 you get the higher leveled npc version.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Kallor posted:

she's such a high level because you are, I'm pretty sure each joinable npc has 2 or 3 different XP levels they can join at according to the pc xp/level, so if you are level 11, rather than 7/8 you get the higher leveled npc version.

Yeah, I know, it just silly how it's based on levels and not XP. Funnily enough, I had the opposite problem in BGEE, where for some reason my high level character would get level 1-2 NPCs whenever I tried to recruit them.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

verybad posted:

Yeah, I know, it just silly how it's based on levels and not XP. Funnily enough, I had the opposite problem in BGEE, where for some reason my high level character would get level 1-2 NPCs whenever I tried to recruit them.

It gets funny the other way around when your party consists of a lot of dual/(especially) multi-classed characters. Hope you like everyone joining you at lovely levels! It really should be by XP. Then again, I always just CluaConsole new partymembers to have the same XP as the character I replaced (unless they already have more).

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
That Aerie starting level is definitely a bug. In vanilla BG2 I think she can actually start with even as low as 6/6 mage/cleric. With you having 250k xp already she would probably spawn as higher lvl, but not with 1.2million xp.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
The BGEE 1.2 patch is live for iPad users, finally.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
For the people talking about the ending to the Hexxat romance, it's not awful, but it really is not amazing either. I'm gonna go ahead and paraphrase it here but It talks about that annoying woman who turns up to give Hexxat her missions from L more than Hexxat and the PC. 'Oh, wossname was very upset and totally told everyone how the big mean bhaalspawn stole her Hexxat away and are you paying attention SHE WAS SAD. LIKE REALLY SAD. And she told everyone. This is IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO KNOW. Also Hexxat and the PC get a house I guess. In Waterdeep. You really do only get a couple of lines about what Hexxat and the PC do after the game. Literally two or three lines. It really feels like they threw them in as an afterthought a few minutes before they shipped everything off to sell.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

verybad posted:

I've seen high level scrolls spawned in the room with Khalid's corpse. It seems 95% chance it's a worthless gem and 5% an amazing scroll.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I think I got a Horrid Wilting scroll in that room once. I was running a solo Berserker/Cleric dual class at the time.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
so pocketplane.net has been playing up for me consistently for about a week, only letting me download the first few kb of any mod hosted there.

does anyone know either where/if these mods are mirrored anywhere or, failing that, would anyone have the mod to bring Coran into BG2 handy (http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=113&Itemid=84) to put up on mediafire or similar?

edit: perfect, thanks SSB

Babby Thatcher fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 14, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Babby Thatcher posted:

so pocketplane.net has been playing up for me consistently for about a week, only letting me download the first few kb of any mod hosted there.

does anyone know either where/if these mods are mirrored anywhere or, failing that, would anyone have the mod to bring Coran into BG2 handy (http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=113&Itemid=84) to put up on mediafire or similar?

Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5lwnk3w3qcm39da/Coran_v3.zip

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Any tips for Dragomir's tomb? Drago keeps kicking my rear end and I can't really seem to get him to an injury state higher than Barely Injured. :pwn:

My party consists of my Fighter main character, Minsc, Jaheira (cursed), Anomen, Hexxat and Korgan. We're level 10-11ish.

feraltennisprodigy fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 15, 2013

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Any tips for Dragomir's tomb? Drago keeps kicking my rear end and I can't really seem to get him to an injury state higher than Barely Injured. :pwn:

My party consists of my Fighter main character, Minsc, Jaheira (cursed), Anomen, Hexxat and Korgan. We're level 10-11ish.

You badly need an arcane caster. Ditch minsc, korgan or Jaheira and pick up either neera or Edwin.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
There's a protection from undead scroll in one of the tombs, cast it on someone who has a +2(?) or better weapon and send them in alone. He won't even attack you.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Heh, I didn't have that Protection from Undead scroll, but Anomen had a Protection from Evil spell that worked on the entire party. Dragomir went down like a chump with that active. Thanks guys.

I definitely need to get a proper mage, that is true. I'll try to find Neera and Edwin when I get out of this tomb

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Just through regular play of the EE when will you hit the xp cap? I'm at the start of chapter 7, I did all of the side quests in pretty much every area, did all of the new NPC quests, and am doing TSC content now, and CHARNAME is still 50k from xp cap which means 30k from 4x backstab. I want my 4x backstab!

Related, is there anyplace with respawning enemies that I can farm a quick 30k with him? I'm at the point I'd ditch everyone else just to hit level 8 on the multi.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
With a six-character party, you need to do most of the original game and at least Durlag's Tower to reach the xp cap. Durlag's Tower gives a lot of xp.

If you want to farm xp, maybe try resting in the ankheg dungeon south of the Baldur's Gate bridge?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I need help with my solo F/M/T in BG2 - Greater Werewolves are kicking my rear end fiercely on the way to Firkraag what is the best way to deal?

I know i can handle the dragon but hosed if i can beat the 5 werewolves and pals outside his door.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Hughlander posted:

Just through regular play of the EE when will you hit the xp cap? I'm at the start of chapter 7, I did all of the side quests in pretty much every area, did all of the new NPC quests, and am doing TSC content now, and CHARNAME is still 50k from xp cap which means 30k from 4x backstab. I want my 4x backstab!

Related, is there anyplace with respawning enemies that I can farm a quick 30k with him? I'm at the point I'd ditch everyone else just to hit level 8 on the multi.

Ankhegs give 975 xp and disturb sleep in the area north of Friendly Arm Inn. They can be kind of dangerous as they hit hard and have a lot of HP, but they are very vulnerable to sleep.

Nation posted:

I need help with my solo F/M/T in BG2 - Greater Werewolves are kicking my rear end fiercely on the way to Firkraag what is the best way to deal?

I know i can handle the dragon but hosed if i can beat the 5 werewolves and pals outside his door.

Can't you just invis and walk right past them? I'd think an F/M/T that can take down Firkraag was able to deal with the werewolves, just slap on every combat buff you have and fight them in a chokepoint where only one or two can reach you, or try trap cheese if all else fails.

verybad fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 15, 2013

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Nation posted:

Improved werewolves from the tweak pack turns them into real monsters. Maybe you used that?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
They were brutal but I just managed to squeeze past with barely any hp, I would skip past them but this is my evil run from bg1 > finish in the new version and I am pretty under-leveled already for a multi-class.

e: Also the dragon chased me up the stairs and killed the hostage :x

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Nation posted:

e: Also the dragon chased me up the stairs and killed the hostage :x

How did that happened? You could free the hostage right after killing the mage and Tazok, and after the hostage gets out you can go after the dragon. Also, when he chases you to the upper floor it gets stuck in the door and can't chase you further, so if you don't engage directly at most he thows some fire breath when it has vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Wasn't there a bug that caused the Greater Werewolf (or was it Wolfwere?) to double its regen any time you rested, saved and reloaded, or left the room?