Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Patch Adams has a kid named Atomic Zagnut Adams. His other kid is named Lars Zig Edquist Adams, which is somewhat less stupid, except that it means the kids are named Zig and Zag[nut].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

This person I saw at the store named Sfeefy.

No. 3 - The Calhoun
Oct 13, 2004

Everyone loves a slow loris!
According to Facebook Shallon just turned 4.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Powerlifter Burley Hawk. Funny how some people look like their names.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Apr 2, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Um?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Overheard a couple talking about their friends' kid while I was on my way to work today:

"...oh, you've met those two, they're the ones that named their kid Tyson Rex, so they could call him T-Rex..."

On the one hand, I think it's a bad idea to name your kid something to try to force a certain nickname, but on the other hand, that is a cool nickname.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Today at lunch we were talking about the weird names some of the kids at school have. One of my coworkers brought up the old "Female" chestnut, of course through a friend of a friend. Another nodded and said it was quite common in the black community. :smith:

I really thought this was one of those things that everyone's heard hundreds of times before, but everyone else laughed. I just kept eating.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

DizzyBum posted:

"...oh, you've met those two, they're the ones that named their kid Tyson Rex, so they could call him T-Rex..."

On the one hand, I think it's a bad idea to name your kid something to try to force a certain nickname, but on the other hand, that is a cool nickname.

It may be a cool nickname, but at my primary school, having a name that rhymed with 'sex' was a surefire guarantee of 6 years of teasing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Had a girl in my grade named Temptress I always figured her mom must have been feeling pretty resentful when she was born or something. I really have no idea what would compel someone to name their child that way.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
There's this kid in my school called Luke Longstaff.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Had a girl in my grade named Temptress I always figured her mom must have been feeling pretty resentful when she was born or something. I really have no idea what would compel someone to name their child that way.

I have always thought this way about randy as well, but then I'm not american.

Jippa has a new favorite as of 10:33 on Dec 14, 2013

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So, some weird cultural thing in Ecuador?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Istari posted:

It may be a cool nickname, but at my primary school, having a name that rhymed with 'sex' was a surefire guarantee of 6 years of teasing.

In my school, having a name that could be pronounced was a guarantee of that.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

flakeloaf posted:

A name that couldn't be pronounced, however, was unassailable. :v:

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

flakeloaf posted:

It's worse when you have a difficult to pronounce name.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

A name that couldn't be pronounced, however, was unassailable. :v:

No, that's not true at all.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Beardless posted:

No, that's not true at all.
That is, in fact, the joke. Jeez, I even put a little smiley in front of it so people like you would get it.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Not a terrible name but a great name: If you live anywhere around the Le Droit Park neighborhood in DC and are looking for a dentist, consider Dr. Gail Cherry-Peppers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jippa posted:

I have always thought this way about randy as well, but then I'm not american.

Randy is rarely someone's given name though. Like Bob it's usually short for something.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

Aphrodite posted:

Randy is rarely someone's given name though. Like Bob it's usually short for something.

My Uncle Randy's given name is Raymond.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I went to school with a girl named Little White Dove.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

lamb posted:

My Uncle Randy's given name is Raymond.

People who don't go with their given names, but also don't go with the shortened form of their given name are weird.

There was a guy in my Eng101 class in my first year of college whose name was Joshua, but he went by Tyler... which he then shortened to Ty. :psyduck:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
People whose names match their jobs.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
When I was a kid there was a guy at our church named Dick Titley. I also remember a guy that worked at Babbage's whose name was Nimrod. Apparently it is a Biblical name, not sure why it isn't more popular.

Once upon a time I worked with a guy whose last name was Suk (different offices though, I really only knew him by reputation). Not all that funny by itself, but the next person in the company directory was named Swallow.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I was going to mention Dick Quax in this thread, then I googled him and found out his full name is actually Theodorus Jacobus Leonardus "Dick" Quax :psyduck:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

stubblyhead posted:

When I was a kid there was a guy at our church named Dick Titley. I also remember a guy that worked at Babbage's whose name was Nimrod. Apparently it is a Biblical name, not sure why it isn't more popular.

Because he was kinda a villain in the Bible. It'd be like naming your son Herod, or Judas, or Og.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nimrod in the Bible is a great hunter.

Bugs Bunny used it sarcastically as an insult for Elmer Fudd, but because it's so funny sounding people just thought it meant moron.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is... is that true? It sounds plausible. Did I actually learn something on the internet today? :psyduck:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

stubblyhead posted:

Once upon a time I worked with a guy whose last name was Suk (different offices though, I really only knew him by reputation). Not all that funny by itself, but the next person in the company directory was named Swallow.
Suk is Korean.
I wonder if the fans chanted this guy's name?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Because he was kinda a villain in the Bible. It'd be like naming your son Herod, or Judas, or Og.

I was being sarcastic, though the negative stuff about him isn't actually in the Bible.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Say Nothing posted:

Suk is Korean.

I think this one may very well have already been posted here at some point, but I will never forget how simultaneously bemused and amused I was the first time I saw the name Dong Dong come up during the 2008 Olympics.

The picture's actually from the 2012 Olympics but whatever, it's the same dude.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Say Nothing posted:

Suk is Korean.

It's pronounced like 'sook', though, not 'suck'.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
The chief of the police in Finland was, until 2004, a guy called Nailhead (Naulapää), the name Firefist (Tulikoura) is real and in use (there is at least a laser surgeon and a firefighter by that name), and there was a member of the military who is usually interviewed in the TV about various conflicts called Colonel Major, (Eversti Majuri), Colonel was his rank and Major his surname.

Ataxerxes has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Dec 15, 2013

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

CJacobs posted:

Is... is that true? It sounds plausible. Did I actually learn something on the internet today? :psyduck:
It's true, and it's been brought up several times in this thread.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Mix and match these names for maximum amusement.

Last names:
-Kornfeind
-Wondafrash
-Diddle
-Wigger
-Purtle
-Schwang

First names:
-Waymond
-Shaulene
-Emerald (I guess this isn't any different than Ruby or Pearl)
-Tamaree
-Aittel
-Janeth
-Maple
-Raleighta
-Earshel
-Gentry
-Tomatha

People destined for a lifetime of spelling their names out very slowly:
-Tieler
-Rhian
-Scharlette
-Zakary
-Jeramy
-Tiphani
-Shon

And finally:
-Sandi Cockburn

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Aphrodite posted:

I had a classmate in high school whose first name was just Randy. People always assumed it was short for Randall or whatever, but nope.

I also knew a Katie whose name was just Katie, and apparently she's had a lifetime of people getting frustrated with her that it isn't short for Katherine.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

RazorBunny posted:

I had a classmate in high school whose first name was just Randy. People always assumed it was short for Randall or whatever, but nope.

Norwegian doesn't really go for nicknames in the way English does. Thus, Robert is a name people will pronounce in full, and Bob is a distinct and different (if unusual) name.
See also Raymond and Randi. The former is a boy's name and the latter a girl's name, of course.

(I'm a Daniel, which is uninterestingly normal. "Dan", on the other hand, is rare and hints at "my parents had satellite TV in the 80s and no taste".)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

RazorBunny posted:

I also knew a Katie whose name was just Katie, and apparently she's had a lifetime of people getting frustrated with her that it isn't short for Katherine.

Reminds me of a guy I new as a kid. First name Eddie, middle name Frank. Also one of my high school teachers had previously taught at another school way out in the sticks. He claims to have had a student once named Melsia (pronounced Melissa).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

-Emerald (I guess this isn't any different than Ruby or Pearl)

Where I'm from (in Australia), Emerald is not an uncommon girl's name. Pearl, on the other hand, is practically unheard of in the area where I grew (and have subsequently lived; I have never met a single person called Pearl).

I did, however, grow up with a boy called Emerald (which was very uncommon), who had an older brother called Juno (named, I assume, after the Roman Queen of the heavens).

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Dec 16, 2013