Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Yoshifan823 posted:

The only award on that list that I genuinely have a horse in the race is Ariel Rechtshaid for best producer because that dude loving rules.

Ariel was cooler when he just a dude in The Hippos :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Yoshifan823 posted:

And now Miley is going on tour with Sky Ferreira and Icona Pop. That will be one hell of a show, that's for drat sure.

From a while back, but holy poo poo I have to see this. I had no idea.

e: Oh, also, just chiming in to say I really appreciate the non-US artists that pop up in this thread that I'd probably miss otherwise.

foutre fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 13, 2013

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

What would happen if she beat Mariah Carey?
Another seal will be broken?

Seriously.

Nothing will change the fact that Mariah has more raw musical talent than anyone else who has ever graced pop charts that I can think of, and she wrote or legitimately cowrote the vast majority of her songs. I'm not even a big fan, but I have respect for her. Her voice is still insane, too.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
holy poo poo Beyoncé

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

PUGGERNAUT posted:

holy poo poo Beyoncé

How the gently caress did she pull this off out of nowhere? :psyboom:

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

PUGGERNAUT posted:

holy poo poo Beyoncé

As someone who's never even been a fan of her really, yeah this album is a monster.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Such a waste of Frank Ocean though. :(

Bedtime Stories
Jul 28, 2013
holy poo poo this album and (most of) the videos are a masterwork.

e: sources are saying this sold ~80k copies within the first three hours of release. That's unheard of. :aaaaa:

Bedtime Stories fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 13, 2013

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

I think it's awesome. No months of hype, no messing around, just here's a new album, surprise! Brilliant move. And apparently there are music videos for all the songs on it too. You have to admire such a brave move like this.

And let's be honest, it's Beyonce. If anyone can pull this off, it's her.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

AndyP posted:

And let's be honest, it's Beyonce. If anyone can pull this off, it's her.

You'd figure someone somewhere would've spilled the beans. Crazy.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm not that fussed about Beyonce but I do think it's super cool that a musician who is THAT big can still just release an album out of nowhere with no leaks at all. Props to Beyonce

Humanist Manifesto
Feb 18, 2009

Death To No One.
Peace Be Unto All.

Bedtime Stories posted:

holy poo poo this album and (most of) the videos are a masterwork.

e: sources are saying this sold ~80k copies within the first three hours of release. That's unheard of. :aaaaa:

This album is incredible. By far the best album she's ever made imo. I don't even have time to go through all the music videos but the ones I've seen are incredibly well-done.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

PaganGoatPants posted:

How the gently caress did she pull this off out of nowhere? :psyboom:
It's because Beyoncé is Beyoncé #bowdownbitches

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I think it's funny how people are acting as though Beyonce has never done this before. Does nobody remember B'day? :colbert:

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Humanist Manifesto posted:

This album is incredible. By far the best album she's ever made imo. I don't even have time to go through all the music videos but the ones I've seen are incredibly well-done.

I've had "Flawless" on repeated, because god drat that track and that sample. But yeah all the videos are really well done. "Drunk Love" is surprisingly adorable.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I'm sure Beyonce's new videos are good and all, but I'm taking major points off "XO" due to it being directed by the mega-creep who directed the video for "Wrecking Ball". Sorry, but Terry Richardson disgusts me even before you get to the sexual harassment allegations.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

ZakAce posted:

Sorry, but Terry Richardson disgusts me even before you get to the sexual harassment allegations.

The allegations are one actual story (from a woman named Jamie Peck) with a bunch of tabloid-level bullshit piled on top. For example, the petition going around about him quotes a tweet from a blatantly satirical Twitter account rumored to be a school project by Scout Willis. They report it as:

quote:

In November 2012, Bruce Willis’ and Demi Moore’s daughter Scout tweeted that “last night Terry Richardson tried to finger me. I didn’t let him, obviously. But I did let him photograph me topless in the bathroom.”

I dunno what he's really guilty of or not, but don't believe everything you read about famous or successful people.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 18, 2013

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

I've been having a hard time squaring "Flawless" and the fact that Terry Richardson directed "XO." Especially when "XO" is such a great, playful celebration of the AA community. :( I don't even know what to do with that.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
FYI if you have iTunes and download the 12 Days of Gifts app, you get the new Lorde song for free. It's really good and I'm not even a Lorde fan.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Lord Krangdar posted:

The allegations are one actual story (from a woman named Jamie Peck) with a bunch of tabloid-level bullshit piled on top.
This is false but let's leave the Terry Richardson poo poo out of this thread, it was bad enough in the goddamn Lady Gaga thread.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PUGGERNAUT posted:

FYI if you have iTunes and download the 12 Days of Gifts app, you get the new Lorde song for free. It's really good and I'm not even a Lorde fan.

I swear every Lorde song was specifically designed to give me a headache. First it was the bass in The Royals, then the clapping in Team and now whatever that woo-woo thing is in her new single. I literally have the volume turned down so low that I can't hear her sing and the woo-wooing is still too drat loud.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So I have no English sources for this, but apparently Justin Bieber's pulling himself out of the music industry after his new album's released. He said this in some radio interview he did. I am not a fan of him so I don't really care, but it's still a bit weird. He is wildly succesfull with a legion of rabid fans who will do everything for him. But I guess being a child-star becoming an absolute superstar is quite exhausting so I think it's for the better?

fast edit: http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/17/justin-bieber-retires-power-106/
woops. not sure if it's a trustable source anymore now.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

I swear every Lorde song was specifically designed to give me a headache. First it was the bass in The Royals, then the clapping in Team and now whatever that woo-woo thing is in her new single. I literally have the volume turned down so low that I can't hear her sing and the woo-wooing is still too drat loud.

"It drives you crazy getting old".

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

New Beyonce album is a loving odyssey. I almost find it difficult to sit down and listen through the whole thing because every track requires the kind of very specific attention I tend to give singles.

I also now know way more about Jay-Z's sex life than I ever wanted to :stare:

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
This is pretty funny. Oh Katy... her actual voice isn't too awful.

http://gawker.com/lip-sync-malfunction-forces-katy-perry-to-use-her-own-v-1485152636

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

fuseshock posted:

http://gawker.com/lip-sync-malfunction-forces-katy-perry-to-use-her-own-v-1485152636

I think it's very awful. Her performance on the UK X-factor final a day after that was horrendous also. At least she was singing live.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

fuseshock posted:

I expected this to be way worse. A lot of pop stars lip sync/use backing tracks when doing dance heavy performances. You can actually see that she's completely and rather awkwardly breaking her choreography so she has more breath. I don't think this is even a thing.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 20, 2013

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Strange, I found the mastering to be very laid-back; it's not even brickwalled or anything. But I've accepted that everything these days is designed to sound good only when played at maximum volume on an iPhone.

fuseshock posted:

The TV show was supposed to play an instrumental backing track, but played the regular CD version instead; she's been singing these same songs live on TV for months now

quote:

Katy Perry was singing live at the NRJ Awards saturdy night in Cannes, but regrettably the wrong mix has been played accidentally which over-rode Katy's live vocal feed on-air fat the beginning of her performance of “Roar”. TF1 & NRJ would like to apologize to NRJ double award winner Katy Perry for this technical problem beyond our control.

http://nrjmusicawards.nrj.fr/actus-4524/article/306363-communique.html

Don't ask me why I'm unironically defending her performances though

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qxWGmEtnSQ

Self-deprecating mic flub humor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eGe0KM7_D8

Damage-control acoustic for your inner housewife

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 21, 2013

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50ZobgY7tA8

Damage-control acoustic for daytime housewife audiences

I am not a great fan of that song in general. But that's a really good performance.
Still drives me insane the way she em-pha-si-ses that word. To me, it just sounds so... aggravating.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin

Spiteski posted:

I am not a great fan of that song in general. But that's a really good performance.
Still drives me insane the way she em-pha-si-ses that word. To me, it just sounds so... aggravating.

Ugh I feel the SAME way. Makes the song to where I can't even give it a chance.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Spiteski posted:

Same. I can't even listen to it for that reason.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Spiteski posted:

Yeah it's not the most lyrical of words.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I like to imagine that she's singing about the magical land of Uncun-Dyshunali.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

I like to imagine that she's singing about the magical land of Uncun-Dyshunali.

That made me laugh more than it should have.

Heard XO from Beyonce for the first time on the radio tonight, and thoroughly loved it.
Is the rest of her album worth dropping the money on? I hear only good things so far, but Drunk In Love was bollocks.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

It's a pretty good album, i think it's a bit overrated (the hype really made people freak out) but it is still really solid. Pretty Hurts (and the great video) , Haunted (same-- awesome video) , Blow, Partition, rocket, xo and flawless are my favorites. Drunk in love irritates me, no angel has some elements i like but it doesnt do much for me, jealous is filler , mine is boring, superpower is meh. Heaven is good, but i usually skip it. Blue is a cute song but i usually skip it too.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

somnambulist posted:

It's a pretty good album, i think it's a bit overrated (the hype really made people freak out) but it is still really solid. Pretty Hurts (and the great video) , Haunted (same-- awesome video) , Blow, Partition, rocket, xo and flawless are my favorites. Drunk in love irritates me, no angel has some elements i like but it doesnt do much for me, jealous is filler , mine is boring, superpower is meh. Heaven is good, but i usually skip it. Blue is a cute song but i usually skip it too.

I might just drop the money for it. It's a pretty huge tracklist when I really think about it. An album with more than 5 great songs is pretty much worth it I guess. Thanks for the run down.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

There aren't five great songs, maybe two (XO and Pretty Hurts).

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

the truth posted:

There aren't five great songs, maybe two (XO and Pretty Hurts).

I entirely disagree with this sentiment. I really think Pretty Hurts is one of the weakest songs on the album. It sounds too much like female rock songs from the early-mid 2000's.

And there are more than two good songs from the album. I like pretty much all of them except for Mine and Pretty Hurts.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

iTunes Radio is friggin terrible. I was listening to the Emeli Sande station and it played The Script, Kelly Clarkson, and Maroon 5. The trifecta of generic mom music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

iTunes Radio is friggin terrible. I was listening to the Emeli Sande station and it played The Script, Kelly Clarkson, and Maroon 5. The trifecta of generic mom music.

It's buggy as hell and should stop telling me what station I'm listening to every 30 seconds.