Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Hey, you don't know that Sisko wouldn't have gone all nutso if Jake died.

Sure, he didn't when Jennifer died, but he still had Jake then. When Ziyal died, Dukat had nothing else. The only person in his life who really loved him died as a result of her betrayal.

I want to see this episode. It would be 45 minutes of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjvYiSDJujA
The scenery would be so chewed up that there wouldn't be a station left afterwards.

Dukat's mind shattering was the best development he could've had. He's had his up and downs before, but like you said, this was the first time he truly lost everything. It explains why he lost his previous devious evil and went pure cartoon supervillian. Plus it gave us Waltz, with is a great episode.

DemeaninDemon posted:

In his head, it was him vs Sisko the day Sisko became emissary.
He stole the love of the Bajoran people that rightfully belonged to Dukat.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Porthos might have been the best thing about Enterprise, because dogs are the best. More Captains should have had pets.

I'd like to see an episode from the perspective of Picards fish.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

That one is a great episode for so many reasons.

To increase the Frasier connections: as I mentioned earlier, Brent Spiner was on Cheers as an abusive husband. Also, Kathryn Mulgrew was on Cheers as a politician who almost steals Sam away from Diane (in one season finale, he's calling someone asking her to marry him, and we're not supposed to be sure which of the two of them it is).

Wait a minute. Something's not right here.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Rutibex posted:

I'd like to see an episode from the perspective of Picards fish.

HIS NAME IS LIVINGSTON, AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gammatron 64 posted:

IIRC Our Man Bashir almost got them sued by Eon Productions and that's why they never did any more. I think they were politely asked to never do it again. Or should I say, never say never again? If the episode was a direct adaptation of Thunderball they might have been able to get away with it!

Proof that IP law is loving absurd. How in the hell would they not have been protected as works of parody?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Austen Tassletine posted:

Wait a minute. Something's not right here.

poo poo. Either I made a typo or the fictional Universe is leaking into real one again. Somebody shut down the loving Holodeck.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

DrNutt posted:

Proof that IP law is loving absurd. How in the hell would they not have been protected as works of parody?

It probably would've been, but nobody wants to go through a lawsuit. Eon said "stop that" and Paramount said "lol k"

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

1st AD posted:

It probably would've been, but nobody wants to go through a lawsuit. Eon said "stop that" and Paramount said "lol k"

I think they were slightly more culpable because it was a homage and not traditionally parodic. Not that it would have held up in court, but it's a pain in the rear end for cheesy indulgence.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Parody and homage are two sides of the same coin.

And really I just want to see what kind of dour grump would see or hear about that episode and say "fire up the lawyers, boys." Like, I get that it wasn't worth Paramount's time or money to fight it, but it was pretty lovely of Eon to broach the subject, which brings me back to IP law is loving ridiculous. We are living in the age of pirates as terrorists and the death of public domain/fair use doctrine.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I thought this episode would be poo poo when I saw that princess eyeing up Wesley, but Worf telling him that Klingon men mainly just duck was brilliant.

Now they are chatting and I feel suicide edging closer.

Edit: that grumpy lady turned into a yeti!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 13, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shoehead posted:

I thought this episode would be poo poo when I saw that princess eyeing up Wesley, but Worf telling him that Kilingon men mainly just duck was brilliant.

Now they are chatting and I feel suicide edging closer.

Oh, keep watching, you're in for a treat!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DrNutt posted:

Parody and homage are two sides of the same coin.

And really I just want to see what kind of dour grump would see or hear about that episode and say "fire up the lawyers, boys." Like, I get that it wasn't worth Paramount's time or money to fight it, but it was pretty lovely of Eon to broach the subject, which brings me back to IP law is loving ridiculous. We are living in the age of pirates as terrorists and the death of public domain/fair use doctrine.

If they hadn't defended it, they would have set a legal precedent that would have made it much harder for them to pursue a much more flagrant infringer in the future.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

With this school semester over for me and going through my assorted classwork folders I found some pics that I don't remember where I got them but apparently didn't put them in my usual image folder.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Data Graham posted:

If they hadn't defended it, they would have set a legal precedent that would have made it much harder for them to pursue a much more flagrant infringer in the future.

That doesn't really seem to contradict the fact that IP law is totally hosed in some ways.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

I can't internet sleuth it up too much but I know there was a big deal on the SA front page eons ago with tons of these. There's one with Worf holding up a "Romulans Defeat Klingons" newspaper that is burned into my mind. Although I still don't know why Worf would be holding up that drat paper. He does look baller in a suit though.

Most SA stuff is blocked at work but thankfully GIS gave me a good sneak preview:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Data Graham posted:

I thought that only applied to trademark infringement.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Raven is already making it clear that Jeri Ryan was probably too good an actor for this show.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bicyclops posted:

The Raven is already making it clear that Jeri Ryan was probably too good an actor for this show.

Or its sequel Dark Frontier.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
"Where No Man Has Gone Before" is a really weird episode so far. Why are they talking about ESP as if it's a fact :psyduck:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Farecoal posted:

"Where No Man Has Gone Before" is a really weird episode so far. Why are they talking about ESP as if it's a fact :psyduck:
That episode is pretty low on the TOS weird episode scale.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farecoal posted:

60s sci-fi.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Farecoal posted:

Isn't "ESP is very real" a pretty established Trek thing? Pretty much every one of the TOS films shows some kind of Vulcan mind meld/katra upload/download / whatever.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Otisburg posted:

Isn't "ESP is very real" a pretty established Trek thing? Pretty much every one of the TOS films shows some kind of Vulcan mind meld/katra upload/download / whatever.

Not in humans.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Farecoal posted:

Not in humans.

It was rare, but not unheard of, in humans. In that episode they even talk about having like a whole system to grade how psychic dudes are.

Miranda Jones (played by the same chick who played Pulaski and she was FINE in the day) talked to Medusans with her brain and had some telepathy going on, and she was a regular human.

Flint used telepathy to control robots, and he was an (immortal) human.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Basically, TOS had a whole 'sometimes humans are telepaths' magic thing that TNG and later ignored in favour of 'aliens are telepaths but they have special brain organs and whatever for that'

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Early TOS was pretty obviously a bunch of dudes making up the universe as they went. There's no real consistancy to the rest of Trek canon in there, so just enjoy each episode as it comes!

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Anyone else have these cards? Some were great but most were AWFUL.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

rocket_man38 posted:

Anyone else have these cards? Some were great but most were AWFUL.

Yes, I do. Back when I was collecting Trek stuff, that's all I would get as gifts. I finally got tired of it all.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Gammatron 64 posted:

Porthos might have been the best thing about Enterprise, because dogs are the best. More Captains should have had pets.

Picard had Livingston.

Janeway had pet projects.

Edit: .... did Livingston survive the crash in Generations? :ohdear:

Writer Cath fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 14, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Kirk had dogs and donkeys.

Wait, I meant bitches, Kirk was rolling in bitches and rear end as far as the eye could see.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Writer Cath posted:

Picard had fish.

And he would ride a holo-horse on occasion.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Kirk had dogs and donkeys.

Wait, I meant bitches, Kirk was rolling in bitches and rear end as far as the eye could see.

What was Kirk's stance on Britches?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Janeway had a puppy once. It was a retriever/lab cross. After a couple of days she got tired of it, used the transporter to separate it into one retriever and one lab, and then pretended she never had a puppy.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Writer Cath posted:

What was Kirk's stance on Britches?

Purely optional.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Sedgr posted:

Janeway had a puppy once. It was a retriever/lab cross. After a couple of days she got tired of it, used the transporter to separate it into one retriever and one lab, and then pretended she never had a puppy.

You know, they never explained where the flower went when they murdered Tuvix. What happened to the loving astro-Chrysanthemum, man?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Loving this unicorn dog that they're trying to pass off as an alien :3:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Farecoal posted:

Loving this unicorn dog that they're trying to pass off as an alien :3:

Space-Dog is the wallpaper on my work computer. I have two monitors, so double Space-Dog action going on.

Oh, and we had some sort of safety fair and we could take a picture of a loved one in and they'd laminate it, so that we could put it on our lanyard with some sort of "I Work Safely Because of:" message.

Yeah. Spock and Space-Dog is on mine.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

No love for obvious glove-puppet plant monster?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farecoal posted:

ESP used to be one of those things that went in and out of vogue. I'm reminded of the seaQuest DSV (first season) episode where a trio of psychics/telepaths were sent to help out with diplomatic negotiations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
SPACE-DOG NOOOOOOOOO :(

• Locked thread