Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Clitch posted:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/4226878861.html

I've actually been considering one of these as a first bike, but I don't think I could look this guy in the eye.

In 2001 I bought a GS650 (1980 I think) for $400, it was kind of ragged but still ran. This is way overpriced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Slavvy posted:

I said there's no coercion, not no incentive. People do dumb dangerous poo poo all the time just because they want to, the TT is no different. They aren't endangering anyone but themselves, so who cares? And the potential for disaster and death is an enormous draw for spectators, don't pretend that it isn't. It's what makes it seem less sterile and artificial than GP. People should use their own judgement in things and I don't like the fact that in all aspects of life, humanity has basically given up on trying to teach better judgement and instead is just falling back on the bandaid of banning things and wrapping them in cotton wool so idiots can't hurt themselves because they don't know any better.

While I sympathize with parts of this, the "People do dumb dangerous poo poo all the time just because they want to, the TT is no different. They aren't endangering anyone but themselves, so who cares? " hard line certainly isn't public consensus, particularly in the EU. And like MoPLest says, in sport it all takes a different angle because you, the spectator, are paying them to do this.

In the US we've got the debates about professional football / NCAA basketball etc where players always say they're doing it for 'love of the game' but in reality they're taking aggressive risks including crippling injury in exchange for current or future earnings, and the more money pours into it, the worse it gets. The US of course gets tangled up in the ethnicity angle, which IOM is presumably immune to, but the underlying issues remain; the moral issues of a human injuring himself / others for sport is one thing, the issues of a mess of people paying those guys to do it is completely different.

MotoGP tried improving the safety by reducing the motorcycles' top speed capabilities via displacement restrictions. This flopped, partly because they could only go so far down without being surpassed by WSBK or their own lower-spec classes. IOM has lower classes and might, in theory, be able to improve safety by forbidding liter-class superbikes. Or this might have no effect.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The pay in IoM is pretty negligible compared to GP/SBK, not to mention that there's a vast horde of lower-tier riders who don't get publicity at all and would have a far easier time making money doing something else. I think very few people on earth can claim to ride bikes for a living; for the vast majority of racers (including Guy Martin, who is a truck mechanic) it's a secondary occupation, so the comparison to professional athletes isn't that valid.

I also didn't say it was public consensus, it's just my opinion. I'm well aware that most of the public disagree with me, they're just wrong :colbert:

Every interview with an IoM rider I've read or seen just reinforces that they think of it as a last bastion of free choice and all of them are so desperate to keep doing it that horrible injury has no deterrent effect at all. I don't see the problem.

Finally, paying someone to do something dangerous is not coercion. It isn't like prostitution or something; noone races 200mph superbikes because they have no other way to make a living. It is entirely voluntary, any of them can quit any time they like and not have their quality of life impaired.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
All sports,practically all hobbies, even those that aren't considered competitive, have people pushing them beyond the limits for no real reason than fame and name recognition within the peer group. That may not seem like compensation or coercion, but it can act as such, and there is a morality play in encouraging or discouraging such behavior (often seen as a guilt wave after a fatality.) I'm sure there have been deaths from heart attacks by endurance ballroom dancers and a big soul-searching as go whether they really needed to egg on Edna and Harris to shoot for 14 hours of uninterrupted Merengue.

It's a :can: I wouldn't mind discussing, but not in the pics and vids thread, especially once it starts getting compared to gladiators or prostitution.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Is Endurance Ballroom Dancing a common thing? I've never heard of it before.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Deeters posted:

Also, I guess this is the Russian equivalent of the Wheelie Boyz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VezPyqtQ0w4

This really makes me want to take the trials bike downtown and mess around until someone yells at me. It's fun at the skate park and industrial areas but there's so many stairways, escalators, bridges and goofy poo poo to play around with downtown.

Related - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCGC_qh6dC8

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Shimrod posted:

Is Endurance Ballroom Dancing a common thing? I've never heard of it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw1afR4mLvw

Get some culture! (I only know about this because my grandma was in a competition like this back then. She didn't do well. Then she started riveting plane wings for the war. Old people rule!)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'd like to point out, in that video, the lean angles and just how close some of those dancers are getting to the wall. I'm pretty sure at least one or two people had to lay'er down

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Me and my crew

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

HNasty posted:

Me and my crew

Holy poo poo, a concours. That actually is your crew. We have to recreate that picture irl.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What is that from?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Back-Hard-Again-Boys/dp/B000008FIS

You can have your own new copy for only $51!

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

How many road races are there? I know about the Northwest 200, Ulster GP, Isle of Man and Macau GP. Manx GP is for amateur racers. Are there others?
edit: I guess Ireland has a bunch of smaller races: http://www.realroadracing.com/calendar.php

elsanto fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 11, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

HNasty posted:

Me and my crew

Cocaine.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Related enough - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Now I just wanna see somebody take a Goldwing down one of those super steep water slides. No clue how you'd get it up there though.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
http://www.bikemag.com/news/news-trials-star-martyn-ashton-suffers-significant-spinal-injury/

:(

Hope he can walk again someday.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

There needs to be some sort of time trials event down watersides like the big one at the end.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Awesome colours, Awesome colours 2.

Some 80 and 90s dated colour schemes really wrap around back to awesome. And that Dominator is pristine.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Supradog posted:

Some 80 and 90s dated colour schemes really wrap around back to awesome. And that Dominator is pristine.

I'm assuming these never made it to the US? This place sucks.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Supradog posted:

Yesss

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Icon's new thing. Called the Iron Lung. What's with the little skinny swingarm and that giant sprocket?

http://vimeo.com/78927022

Icon posted:

The front tire is a 150/80-16 rear, specifically not rated for front use (but we're outlaws). I think AVONs exact words to us were "Do Not use this tire on the front!!". So naturally we did.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 12, 2013

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Some pictures from recent 'what did we do today' fb posts by the local Buell workshop

What you get when you use an aluminum pulley

Poured transmission oil into swingarm instead of transmission (some of that goop is JB weld someone used to fix cracks, the rest is the chain tensioner)

Transmission was fine, a previous post had someone drive up with an empty transmission that ended up being fine too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

that is so pretty.

I really need to un-wreck mine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is it possible to get a bike to look that clean without partial disassembly? That is an amazingly good-looking bike (for the 90's), yet I was completely unaware of this because all the ones I've seen have so much grime in all the nooks and crannies that they just look like poo poo. Ditto for basically every non-ducati of that era.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

Is it possible to get a bike to look that clean without partial disassembly? That is an amazingly good-looking bike (for the 90's), yet I was completely unaware of this because all the ones I've seen have so much grime in all the nooks and crannies that they just look like poo poo. Ditto for basically every non-ducati of that era.

It's very possible to KEEP a bike that clean without disassembly. I don't know about restoring an already gently caress-nasty one.
I put about 9k on mine before I wrecked it and it always looked just like that one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

Yes, it just takes time. I had a totally beat to poo poo 94 F2 that I partially restored a few years ago, there's probably pics somewhere in my project thread. I didn't think the cosmetics could be saved, but my buddy did some amazing stuff with a buffer and some elbow grease, looked brand new (then the new rider who bought it crashed the gently caress out of it, sigh).

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Supradog posted:

Hey it's the big, more awesome colored version of my little NX125.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I really love the gaudy 90's colors. This summer there was a glorious neon red/blue/purple KLX650 on craigslist for a great price. As soon as I saw the ad it I called, but it was sold. A month later it was back up for sale - rattle canned black and six hundred bucks more expensive.

Fuckers.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Hilarious Triumph Bonneville review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKFsce5phw

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dead on about the loving seat removal. I don't know what the newer ones have, but mine has two goddamn hex screws hidden under the rear end end of the seat. You need a screwdriver and some patience to get the bastard off. My 79 Honda does a much better job, I don't get it.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Not quite motorcycles, but otherwise the right idea.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

prukinski fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 14, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No image brah.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Haha, brought to you by the guy who showed us how to change the oil on an SR400.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Haha, brought to you by the guy who showed us how to change the oil on an SR400.
I thought I recognized the accent and the deadpan humor.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Pretty spot on, I rented a Bonneville in California a while back, it was a heap of poo poo, not even interesting poo poo, boring poo poo.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

HNasty posted:

Pretty spot on, I rented a Bonneville in California a while back, it was a heap of poo poo, not even interesting poo poo, boring poo poo.

It's unfortunate, "interesting" is the best you can hope for when a bike's main feature is Vintage

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Gullous posted:

It's unfortunate, "interesting" is the best you can hope for when a bike's main feature is Vintage

I have a faux vintage bike that is pretty fun :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Yep, I sure did. Been cruising around with that on for 2 weeks now.

Generates massive wind drag, and flaps around a heap when you're hitting twisties enough to shake the helmet. Kind of annoying actually. Peoples reactions are hilarious though, completely worth it.