Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ooh, Greenburg might work as well, though that's almost for 30-somethings more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aslan
Mar 27, 2012

DetoxP posted:

Any good movies that would overlap with an interest in Hinduism (academically speaking)? I've seen Sita Sings the Blues and Monsoon Wedding looks neat. Anything else come to mind for anyone?

Deepa Metha's Elements trilogy might count (with the caveat that they were made by a Westerner, albeit one with Indian heritage). Earth is about religious tensions in India prior to and during partition, Water is about widows in an ashram in the 1930s, Fire is about two women developing a relationship (and contains references to Hinduism, e.g. both women are named after Hindu goddesses).

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Movies with extremely subtle social/political commentary to them? Bonus points if its satirical or dystopian.

Kind of like Starship Troopers. Basically the same level of subtlety of Starship Troopers. I'm all out of Verhoeven movies to watch. I'm desperate.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
You said subtle like Starship Troopers? Regardless, watch Dredd.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mustach posted:

You said subtle like Starship Troopers? Regardless, watch Dredd.

Subtle when it was released, not when everyone later caught on. Apparently that was one of the biggest issues with the movie, is that a lot of people saw it as a straightforward action movie instead of a fascist-militarization "war loving blows" movie.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I bet you'd like Cronenberg. His theme is more "we trust our biology so much, what would happen if it betrayed us" but it leads to a lot of commentary on society. Start with Videodrome, and if you like that try Crash.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

teen witch posted:

Movies with extremely subtle social/political commentary to them? Bonus points if its satirical or dystopian.

Kind of like Starship Troopers. Basically the same level of subtlety of Starship Troopers. I'm all out of Verhoeven movies to watch. I'm desperate.

Try Sucker Punch. :can:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Slim Killington posted:

I bet you'd like Cronenberg. His theme is more "we trust our biology so much, what would happen if it betrayed us" but it leads to a lot of commentary on society. Start with Videodrome, and if you like that try Crash.

You can't talk about Cronenberg body horror without mentioning The Fly.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
The Fly is obviously his crowning achievement in body horror, but I don't know how much social commentary it's good for. I haven't seen it in years, maybe there's something there? Either way it's good, watch it too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Slim Killington posted:

The Fly is obviously his crowning achievement in body horror, but I don't know how much social commentary it's good for. I haven't seen it in years, maybe there's something there? Either way it's good, watch it too.

It's a movie about aging and the uncontrollable deterioration of the mind and body. That's like, a universal fear.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Slim Killington posted:

The Fly is basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnE3uyj9Grg

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's a movie about aging and the uncontrollable deterioration of the mind and body. That's like, a universal fear.

Plus a dash of pregnancy anxiety.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Criminal Minded posted:

Plus a dash of pregnancy anxiety.

And what a dash it is!

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I think giving birth to a big wriggling maggot is pretty much the apex of body horror, yeah.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

teen witch posted:

These are probably way too not-subtle but I lack the acumen of most on this board

Idiocracy
Spring Breakers
Side Effects
Election

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

teen witch posted:

If Starship Troopers is your benchmark for extremely subtle then idk what to tell you. In any event, Audition can be read as a commentary on the changing role of women in Japanese society (that's my reading of it, anyway).
City Hall (think I'm thinking of the right movie here) is about as subtle as Starship Troopers w/r/t it's commentary on the political process and the media.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

teen witch posted:

As subtle as Starship Troopers, eh? A hard bar to hit, but I'll try.

Firewalk With Me is (strangely) a sort of a commentary on Twin Peaks, in the way that it explores the dark real world implications of the central crime of the show without any of the levity or quirkiness. The opening scene is a television being smashed, and it sort of follows from that, especially considering how disenchanted Lynch was with Hollywood and television at that point. I would definitely suggest watching Twin Peaks first, which is a commentary itself on small town America (both the good and the bad) and television drama. Put together it's an amazing bit of film making.

Mulholland drive is also a commentary on the toxicity of stardom and fame (coincidentally it's the long form of a pilot that Lynch developed to try and continue work in Television after Twin Peaks folded, but which was rejected by the studio system).

Both Drive and Only God Forgives take a similar Verhoeven approach to critiquing the image of masculinity in mass media. Drive is far more subtle than Only God Forgives, as evidenced by the horde of disappointed nerds in scorpion jackets who panned the movie when they actually got the joke the second time around.

I don't love it as a film, but one reading of Inglorius Basterds is that it's Tarrentino directly mocking the portion of his audience who dress up like Vince Vega and have a Reservoir Dogs poster in their dorm room. It has the framing device of being about heroic Americans slaying Nazis, but one has to question the sincerity when the B-Plot is about a group of Nazi party leaders dying in a fire in a cinema as they watch a strikingly similar movie about a German sniper. Also the movie ends with a shot of Brad Pitt carving a swastika into the audience's head. I would also give a similar reading to Death Proof (although that's more about the twisted sexual politics of American Cinema, and less about the glorification of violence).

The Comedy is another movie that openly mocks its target audience by having Tim Heidecker play a broken, empty man-child who's totally cut loose from anything but the shallowest connection to humanity - ostensibly having it be a "comedy".

Dr. Strangelove, which has approximately the same subtlety level as Starship Troopers (6.7), and is about the catastrophic idiocy of the cold war and nuclear backed jingoism.

Annnnnnnnnd that it. Those are the movies with subtle commentary attached to them. Happy watching, bud.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 10, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Splice is a very subtle satire of family life and the way society views scientists.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Society, starring acclaimed actor Billy Warlock, is a very subtle social commentary and satire of 1980s yuppie classism.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

Splice is a very subtle satire of family life and the way society views scientists.

ynohtna posted:

Society, starring acclaimed actor Billy Warlock, is a very subtle social commentary and satire of 1980s yuppie classism.

You guys have weird definitions of subtlety.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You guys have weird definitions of subtlety.

Pretty sure they're making fun of the dude who thought that Starship Troopers was a subtle movie.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The cook, the theif, his wife & her lover is a political film that is pretty subtle about it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Can anybody think of movies similar to Chungking Express and Fallen Angels? I haven't seen any other Wong Kar-wai films, so I guess tracking down his other works would be a first step (I see Netflix has 3 of them)...

EDIT: Completely unrelated: I'm trying to remember the name of a movie. I think it's 80s or earlier. It's Chinese, involving a father and son ascending to a forested mountain to live a quiet life (the time period is ambiguous during this portion). Later on the father has to journey down into the world to get food or something, where you're shown that the movie is actually set in contemporary times. He begs for food but leaves disappointed in the modern world. I think there's a festival later on? The movie is incredibly slow. I think the whole thing was a Buddhist parable or something.

david_a fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 12, 2013

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

david_a posted:

Can anybody think of movies similar to Chungking Express and Fallen Angels? I haven't seen any other Wong Kar-wai films, so I guess tracking down his other works would be a first step (I see Netflix has 3 of them)...

EDIT: Completely unrelated: I'm trying to remember the name of a movie. I think it's 80s or earlier. It's Chinese, involving a father and son ascending to a forested mountain to live a quiet life (the time period is ambiguous during this portion). Later on the father has to journey down into the world to get food or something, where you're shown that the movie is actually set in contemporary times. He begs for food but leaves disappointed in the modern world. I think there's a festival later on? The movie is incredibly slow. I think the whole thing was a Buddhist parable or something.

You'll probably have better luck in this thread to find your movie title
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Oh, right :)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

david_a posted:

If you like that bittersweet tone with characters just trying to figure out this whole life thing, you're in luck as most of Wong Kar Wai's movies nail that tone exactly. Some are heavier on the bitter side of the scale (Happy Together), but others are in the same precise vein (Days of Being Wild, its quasi-sequel In The Mood For Love, and its quasi-sequel, 2046, the latter two being two of my favorite movies. It's not necessary to watch them in order but my personal recommendation is to skip the first (at least initially) and watch the second and third -- the first is kinda rough owing to it being an early, low budget effort). I'd skip his American, english-language film My Blueberry Nights however.

Other possibilities:
Blue Valentine
Ghost World (quirky in a similar way to Chungking Express)
Sideways
Maybe Krzysztof Kieślowski's Three Colors trilogy
Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 12, 2013

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Now that you mention it, Three Colors was sorta similar (but with less gunfire). I'll check out some of the others; thanks!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

david_a posted:

Now that you mention it, Three Colors was sorta similar (but with less gunfire).

Hollywood needs to make an action-packed remake of Blue.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Well, Red did well enough for a sequel...

Serious recommendations beyond other Wong Kar-Wai films: Reprise (2008) or Bonsái (2011), both of which happen to be one-word titles about young writers, but both also have a similar mix of manic energy and melancholic introspection, plus a strange relationship to music.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I know, right? Get James Cameron, his movies are always blue tinted anyway!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well, Red did well enough for a sequel...

Serious recommendations beyond other Wong Kar-Wai films: Reprise (2008) or Bonsái (2011), both of which happen to be one-word titles about young writers, but both also have a similar mix of manic energy and melancholic introspection, plus a strange relationship to music.

Reprise is absolutely fantastic and in urge everyone to watch it b

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Despite being a big Ridley Scott/Science Fiction fan I have never seen Blade Runner. Which is the definitive version to watch for someone new to the film?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yaws posted:

Despite being a big Ridley Scott/Science Fiction fan I have never seen Blade Runner. Which is the definitive version to watch for someone new to the film?

Director's and Final cuts both have their supporters, but either is a good version of the movie and you won't be missing anything whichever you choose. The theatrical, workprint, etc. are curiosities for interested fans only.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yaws posted:

The Final Cut. As far as I know there is no reason besides curiosity to watch other versions.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Final Cut all the way.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I forgot which one has "father" instead of "fucker" but that is my preferred rendition of that line. As long as you don't watch the theatrical though, you're good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Carthag posted:

I forgot which one has "father" instead of "fucker" but that is my preferred rendition of that line. As long as you don't watch the theatrical though, you're good.

This is not a difference I was aware of. He says it semi-ambiguously in every version I've seen.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

This is not a difference I was aware of. He says it semi-ambiguously in every version I've seen.

It's pretty clearly "fucker" in the director's cut.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
And pretty clearly "father" in the Final Cut.

Final Cut is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Final Cut for any number of reasons, but mainly so that you can see a film that looks as good as it is possible for a film to look. The treatment on that version is just beyond words.