Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I want Grodd. He's my favorite member of the Rogues even though he isn't technically one. Scudder version of Mirror Master would be the close second just because of the hosed up traps he makes.

If we get an extended saga with The Top, Golden Glider & Captain Freeze, my childhood is complete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik DDS
Oct 31, 2004

Spergatory posted:

There's plenty of ways to retool the Flash's villains so they work better in the context of the Arrow-verse without necessarily depowering them. Maybe change their power's origin, or the way it works, or tone it down slightly, or give them an entirely different power with a similar theme. The Arrow team hasn't introduced a straight-up 1:1 copy of a comics character yet and I see no reason for them to start.

Let me put it this way; if they play with the characters and retool their origins and powers to fit in better with the Arrow-verse, they might alienate a few angry nerds. If they transfer the characters in all their comic-book silliness, they stand to alienate pretty much everyone else. Most prospective watchers of this show won't give a gently caress about what the Flash does in the comics; they'll care about what he does on their television screen and whether or not it works in that context. I'm fine with them bringing over whoever, even Grodd, as long as they can make it work, but what works on television and what works in comics are two entirely different animals.

Basically this.

PS: Thor's 'magic' is basically super-science. Like, they flat out say as much.

A year and a half into Arrow and we have Solomon Grundy and The Flash which would have been ridiculous with the tone of the show at the beginning. If The Flash show is about Barry going around X-Files/CSI-ing it with interesting phenomena, I don't think it would be out of line to take the leap to episodes about aliens or actual magic or whatever. The stuff can co-exist. A show can have a different tone than the other and still be in the same "world".

If it's a choice between fidelity to the continuity of the Arrow-verse or letting the Flash do cool Flash stuff I want the latter.

But I think we both like how these producers handle a superhero story (except maybe the Green Lantern movie) so it'll probably be fine.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
I recently started watching this show and I'm liking it a lot, but season 1 is literally Batman Begins.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Robotnik DDS posted:

A year and a half into Arrow and we have Solomon Grundy and The Flash which would have been ridiculous with the tone of the show at the beginning.

Did I not acknowledge that? Arrow knows how to build towards things. The Flash should too. Literally, the only thing we are disagreeing on in the timescale; you don't care if they go from zero to crazy in two episodes. I think they would be better served by building towards it. There's just a few degrees of tilt between a ramp you can walk up and a wall you have to climb. You don't mind a wall, but I think it'd be better for the show if they used a ramp. Accessibility and all. :corsair:

Robotnik DDS posted:

If The Flash show is about Barry going around X-Files/CSI-ing it with interesting phenomena, I don't think it would be out of line to take the leap to episodes about aliens or actual magic or whatever. The stuff can co-exist. A show can have a different tone than the other and still be in the same "world".

If it's a choice between fidelity to the continuity of the Arrow-verse or letting the Flash do cool Flash stuff I want the latter.

But I think we both like how these producers handle a superhero story (except maybe the Green Lantern movie) so it'll probably be fine.

There's a way to do both-- to have cool and clearly impossible stuff while still keeping a relatively grounded feel for the show. It's what the show is doing right now. Seriously, my entire point boils down to "The Arrow team is great and should continue their successful strategies for making compelling television. :)"

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Spergatory posted:

There's a way to do both-- to have cool and clearly impossible stuff while still keeping a relatively grounded feel for the show. It's what the show is doing right now. Seriously, my entire point boils down to "The Arrow team is great and should continue their successful strategies for making compelling television. :)"

Solomon Grundy is the perfect example of this. As presented, he was a super duper whooper impossible character with cool super-science powers. That said, he was still massively more grounded than his comic-book version. They took a wild character and presented him in a grounded way. Also, by starting with a relatively realistic version, they even laid the groundwork to introduce a slightly more comic-book esque Grundy later down the road - like they did with Deadshot.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they do this for Flash and his villains. It makes the pacing feel better (to most), and it's also just fun to watch things progressing, characters gaining new powers & abilities, etc. I wanna watch Barry get in a tight spot and need to vibrate through a wall, or do those cool arm spinny tornado things, or push himself to go faster than he's even gone fast before.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Robotnik DDS posted:

A year and a half into Arrow and we have Solomon Grundy and The Flash which would have been ridiculous with the tone of the show at the beginning. If The Flash show is about Barry going around X-Files/CSI-ing it with interesting phenomena, I don't think it would be out of line to take the leap to episodes about aliens or actual magic or whatever. The stuff can co-exist. A show can have a different tone than the other and still be in the same "world".

I did a quick reading about Grundy. At the moment Arrow has neither Grundy nor the Flash. There is a guy whose face was melted by some acids, and a guy who was hit by lightning. They have laid the groundwork, but they could just as well never use their super-powered side (using them on the Flash show), or only use toned down versions or only use them rarely in crossover episodes.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Torrannor posted:

I did a quick reading about Grundy. At the moment Arrow has neither Grundy nor the Flash. There is a guy whose face was melted by some acids, and a guy who was hit by lightning. They have laid the groundwork, but they could just as well never use their super-powered side (using them on the Flash show), or only use toned down versions or only use them rarely in crossover episodes.

You do remember that Cyrus Gold was tearing apart 6-inch thick titanium doors with his bare hands, right? You're probably right that they'll keep the Arrow show less super-powered, but the ship has sailed on keeping it super-power free.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

XboxPants posted:

You do remember that Cyrus Gold was tearing apart 6-inch thick titanium doors with his bare hands, right? You're probably right that they'll keep the Arrow show less super-powered, but the ship has sailed on keeping it super-power free.

And if you don't remember that one, I don't know too many humans, strongmen or no, that can kick a dude into the air, then punch him across the room like they were in some kind of fighting game. Or have muscles that are so dense they foul arrowheads that hit them. Not even Nolanverse Bane was that strong, and that guy was punching concrete pillars while geeked up on PCP painkillers.

They're taking it slow. Superserum to create supersoliders isn't too far beyond what we've been given, where training from hell Purgatory Lian Yu can put you head and shoulders above the best of the common criminals, on par with the League of Assassins. SCIENCE! superpowers are still a bit further down the line, but we have at least what, half a season before we see the payoff? They've teased the possibility of resurrection to anyone familiar with Ra's al Ghul and the Lazarus Pits. The seeds are all there, and I think all you really need to pull off the more fantastic elements of the DCU is a straight face. If the writing treats talking gorillas as silly, the audience will. If the writing plays it serious, the characters react plausibly ("Barry. Gorillas don't talk. Why is this one talking to me?" "Uhh... that's..."), and it's shown that this thing is actually a serious threat, and not a joke character, I think the crazy stuff can work. And that's not even counting people like Mirror Master, who can be far more easily 'grounded.'

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I am fully expecting Ollie to eventually reveal in one of his flashbacks that he had previously faced a giant Asian talking egg on the island. That day will be glorious.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
When Barry was talking about his past and his hobby of investigating weird inexplicable phenomena, I really thought they were going to make the show some kind of super-powered X-files/Supernatural/Warehouse 13 deal where he runs across the country investigating weird inexplicable phenomena every week. That would let them slowly flesh out the universe and get people used to the idea that crazy comic book stuff happens all the time in this world, it's just so spread out that most people don't notice it unless they are actively looking for it. It would also give the writers an excuse to tone down his powers by saying that running long distances drained his energy, and until he had time to recharge he was just a defenseless science geek.

The problem is, that roadtrip formula usually requires at least two regulars who travel together in order to develop their characters and interactions. Unless he's giving his nephew transcontinental piggy-back rides I really don't see that happening.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 14, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Avulsion posted:

When Barry was talking about his past and his hobby of investigating weird inexplicable phenomena, I really thought they were going to make the show some kind of super-powered X-files/Supernatural/Warehouse 13 deal where he runs across the country investigating weird inexplicable phenomena every week. That would let them slowly flesh out the universe and get people used to the idea that crazy comic book stuff happens all the time in this world, it's just so spread out that most people don't notice it unless they are actively looking for it. It would also give the writers an excuse to tone down his powers by saying that running long distances drained his energy, and until he had time to recharge he was just a defenseless science geek.

The problem is, that roadtrip formula usually requires at least two regulars who travel together in order to develop their characters and interactions.

So clearly Supernatural and Flash will be doing crossovers, I suppose.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The 2 stars can be Barry, and Other Barry.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Drifter posted:

So clearly Supernatural and Flash will be doing crossovers, I suppose.

Don't give the Supernatural fans any ammunition. You know how... weird... they can be.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Warmachine posted:

Don't give the Supernatural fans any ammunition. You know how... weird... they can be.

You better hope that they don't introduce Hal then:

:haw:

All the talk about Flash being more grounded at first and the build the meta aspect is kind of hard at this point going by Barry's story about his mom's muderderer (granted, that was a really subtle nod than only comicbook fans will get) since that confirmed Zoom's excitence in the Arrowverse.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Well I don't think they will go full "Time traveling obsessed stalker from the 30th century" on that one. Although they should, because gently caress it, own your insanity.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You better hope that they don't introduce Hal then:

:haw:

All the talk about Flash being more grounded at first and the build the meta aspect is kind of hard at this point going by Barry's story about his mom's muderderer (granted, that was a really subtle nod than only comicbook fans will get) since that confirmed Zoom's excitence in the Arrowverse.

True, but he doesn't have to be a time-traveler from the year 3000 or whatever. He could just be another speedster.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

XboxPants posted:

True, but he doesn't have to be a time-traveler from the year 3000 or whatever. He could just be another speedster.

Well he does presumably have to be a time traveler.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

If it took Paul Dini and Bruce Timm multiple years to figure out how to use Flash even somewhat decently (How many times in the 1st 3-4 seasons did he trip, slip, or get knocked out early in any sort of scuffle?) I'm scared to see what the CW comes up with.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Animated Flash was introduced as a fully-realized superhero with no learning curve. Also, he was the comic relief in an ensemble based cast, not the main character. I'm not worried.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GoatSeeGuy posted:

If it took Paul Dini and Bruce Timm multiple years to figure out how to use Flash even somewhat decently (How many times in the 1st 3-4 seasons did he trip, slip, or get knocked out early in any sort of scuffle?) I'm scared to see what the CW comes up with.

Which is crazy because he has a tight outfit, so you'd think he would be right up Dini's alley.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Why is the Flash a fascist?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why is the Flash a fascist?

He's red, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan... :420:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We just had a very heated argument at the bar about Smallville and Arrow and I was the only one saying Arrow was the better show. I ended my argument with a bulletproof closing statement.

I can sum up why Smallville sucks with one loving scene.

Arthur Curry: You keep this up Clark and you'll be joining the Junior Lifeguards Association.
Clark: I don't think I'm ready for the JLA just yet.

AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH gently caress YOU SMALLVILLE WRITERS.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

THAT'S why you think it sucks? Hahaha, oh you poor thing.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

On the one hand, Smallville helped mainstream comic book heroes years before we got to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, The Dark Knight Trilogy, etc.

On the other, I've a bunch of friends who won't give Arrow a chance because "Oh, its from the same people as Smallville."

Which it isn't, at all. But same network, I guess.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Drifter posted:

THAT'S why you think it sucks? Hahaha, oh you poor thing.

I think he was saying that's the cherry on top of it sucking.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I've run through the show twice now, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm really enjoying how well put together everything is. Before this, my only DC experience has been the movies and growing up with the DCAU.

I'm really glad he's finally got a mask. Anything's better than the greasepaint. The biggest thing I've had to hand wave away is how terrible he is at keeping a secret identity, especially when he's bringing Diggle out on everything.

I'm glad that they've eased into the more fantastical elements. We're a season and a half in, and the most fantastical element we've seen is Barry Allen struck by red lightning and a super soldier serum. For a DC superhero show starring a non-powered superhero, I'd say that's pretty good.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I just want to see, like, 50 types of trick arrow come January. Call it a "nonlethal gas expansion bludgeon" if you have to.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
An arrow with a liquid nitrogen vial on the head seems plausible enough.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well, they already had a wireless hacking arrow before, so they just gotta work their way slowly. Maybe a sticky foam arrow, that's pretty plausible and useful.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Flashbang arrows. Or next time Canary comes back, steal one of her grenades and build a sonic arrow.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Rhyno posted:

We just had a very heated argument at the bar about Smallville and Arrow and I was the only one saying Arrow was the better show.

You need better friends.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

GoatSeeGuy posted:

He was also a bit of a creep, which always struck me as a weird character trait.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

sleepingbuddha posted:

You need better friends.

By contrast, my Arrow bar experience involves watching the rugby in a Sydney pub and hearing a bunch of people at the next table drunkenly yelling "YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CITY" at each other.

By the end of the night, a lot of people had failed this city.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

We had better see boxing-glove arrows make an appearance soon or I am going to be SO ANGRY :argh:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

ufarn posted:

He was also a bit of a creep, which always struck me as a weird character trait.

I'm pretty sure being a horny teenager is part of the Wally West thing but someone better versed in Flash lore can speak with more authority.

Back to TV discussion, do we expect an actual Ras al Ghul appearance this season? Or just continued name dropping? They seem to have a pretty full plate so far, but this show man, this show.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

hi liter posted:

I'm pretty sure being a horny teenager is part of the Wally West thing but someone better versed in Flash lore can speak with more authority.

Back to TV discussion, do we expect an actual Ras al Ghul appearance this season? Or just continued name dropping? They seem to have a pretty full plate so far, but this show man, this show.

We don't know anything about Ra's however, his daughter Nissa has been cast

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hi liter posted:

There's really no reason for Ras to come to Starling, that's what his entire league of Assassins is for - to hunt down people. And Merlyn isn't actively working against Ras, so it's not like the Batman relationship. Ras should, and ought to, just stay as a name connecting things to a larger world.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They need Ollie to hurry up and grow the fantastic mustache and beard. :(. I am waiting and waiting..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hollismason posted:

They need Ollie to hurry up and grow the fantastic mustache and beard. :(. I am waiting and waiting..

The Green Arrow in the comics doesn't even have that anymore. It's not gonna happen.

• Locked thread