Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Yeah I was definitely pulling for the guy who reminds me of Giancarlo Esposito over the horrible horrible nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
City of Texas?! Blargh. I miss Craig already.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I can't be too mad, that's exactly the kind of brain fart I can see myself having on Jeopardy and she won anyway.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

DaisyDanger posted:

Yeah I was very excited when Craig won. Goodbye forever, ~*anime reviewer*~ Carlos.

oh my god was he really an anime reviewer? now I feel like I didn't hate him enough while he was on my TV

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Can someone explain how final Jeopardy made sense by saying "it may help to count the [6] symbols"?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

GreenCard78 posted:

Can someone explain how final Jeopardy made sense by saying "it may help to count the [6] symbols"?

Texas has been part of six different countries, or more commonly Six Flags.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Texas has been part of six different countries, or more commonly Six Flags.

Ah that makes sense, thank you. I also now know what the amusement park chain refers to. A twofer, really.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

Soothing Vapors posted:

oh my god was he really an anime reviewer? now I feel like I didn't hate him enough while he was on my TV

I am 99% sure that's what he said. He even said the first syllable as "ahn" instead of "ann" which made me cackle at my TV because I didn't realize people unironically said it that way, so I missed it. But then he said something about having reviewed 600+ animes or some poo poo like that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He has an anime review website is what he said and alex asked it if it was popular and he awkwardly laughed.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Is there a (legit) place to watch past episodes online? One of my high school teachers was on last night and I'd like to watch it, but the Jeopardy website doesn't seem to have an archive.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

There is unfortunately not. Reading the J-Archive is the closest you can come to getting official and legal repeats of episodes.

All I can say is that Jeopardy :filez: used to be nonexistent except for random ancient eps on those terrible watch TV online sites or on Youtube, but recently I believe they have been ripped and released by internet pirates. I'm sure they can't be too hard to find and I also imagine that very few people care about the piracy of a nationally syndicated network game show that airs before primetime. But files are still bad, mmkay.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Schiavona posted:

Is there a (legit) place to watch past episodes online? One of my high school teachers was on last night and I'd like to watch it, but the Jeopardy website doesn't seem to have an archive.

Your teacher is dreamy :allears:

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Max22 posted:

Your teacher is dreamy :allears:

Apparently a lot of people thought so! All day my Facebook has had links to like "hot people of Jeopardy" things.

vvv Yep

Schiavona fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 14, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Was she the lady with the glasses and black hair?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

By the way, I'm shocked that Life of Pi was a triple-stumping Final Jeopardy.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
I love Jeopardy but over here in the UK I'm left to just watching it on youtube.

Last year I was lucky enough to go on a quiz show in the UK where I won a holiday to Mexico, and one of the highlights for me was being able to watch Jeopardy after lunch. (There were other highlights before people think I'm too sad for words).

Over here one of the best quizzes is probably The Chase, which I know had a US version which I don't think is too bad.

Also, anyone who doesn't make their Daily Double a true Daily Double is scum imo.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.

Max22 posted:

By the way, I'm shocked that Life of Pi was a triple-stumping Final Jeopardy.

I just so happened to come across the answer in like a Buzzfeed or something of letters written by US President last week, so I knew it right away. I don't know how long ago the episode was filmed, but I probably wouldn't have known it then.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Alan BStard posted:

Also, anyone who doesn't make their Daily Double a true Daily Double is scum imo.

Especially in the first round.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Alan BStard posted:

I love Jeopardy but over here in the UK I'm left to just watching it on youtube.

Last year I was lucky enough to go on a quiz show in the UK where I won a holiday to Mexico, and one of the highlights for me was being able to watch Jeopardy after lunch. (There were other highlights before people think I'm too sad for words).

Over here one of the best quizzes is probably The Chase, which I know had a US version which I don't think is too bad.

I'm actually a huge fan of UK quiz shows, and at one point considered making a thread on them (or on game shows in general, so I could prattle on about Tic-Tac-Dough and Hot Potato and other relics of my childhood.) The Chase is a lot of fun, yeah, Pointless as well.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Alan BStard posted:

If I ever get on there, I'm going to try and deliberately find the Daily Doubles quickly, and get them out of the way by wagering like $5 on them if it's a category I don't know. I don't lose money, but I do deny my opponents an opportunity to score big with one clue. :v:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

escape artist posted:

If I ever get on there, I'm going to try and deliberately find the Daily Doubles quickly, and get them out of the way by wagering like $5 on them if it's a category I don't know. I don't lose money, but I do deny my opponents an opportunity to score big with one clue. :v:

Didn't the one guy we were bitching about a couple weeks ago do this? I seem to remember a dude who instead doing the whole "start at $200, go straight down" thing was starting the middle, hopping categories, etc.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ElwoodCuse posted:

Didn't the one guy we were bitching about a couple weeks ago do this? I seem to remember a dude who instead doing the whole "start at $200, go straight down" thing was starting the middle, hopping categories, etc.

Yes, and I was one of those people bitching. That being said, if I'm playing, I'm playing to win-- not to entertain others.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
True Daily Double is such a ballsy move, I have to respect anyone who does it. At the same time, we don't know how much a contestant knows about a given category. Daily doubles and final jeopardy are the only real intense moments on the show, so in a way I can't begrudge people who don't wager much.

Of course, I always get made at people who don't make it a true daily double and then know the daily double question.

Also, clearly there's nothing better than making it to final jeopardy with more than double your closest competitor, so you can wager $1 with maximum :smug:.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

escape artist posted:

There is a special circle of quiz show hell reserved for people who do this. They share it with people on the chase who push for their teammates to gamble to win extra money and then when its their turn chicken out and take the easier option.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
It's that time again, folks. Time to sign up for the Online Test!

http://www.jeopardy.com/onlinetests/adult/

Test is Jan 7, 8, and 9

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I signed up, but those test times mean my four year old will be hovering over my shoulder the whole time. I wish the times would vary a little more. Oh well.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

For all you noobs here is a transcript from a past test.

http://thejeopardyblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/jeopardy-online-contestant-test-march.html

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

New York is not an audition city this year? Ugh, 2014 you will be the worse year of my life.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is there some record of the worst game of Jeopardy ever played? I can just imagine the contestants missing something like 50 out of 60 questions and the winner having a hundred bucks.

oh and I really want to see that machine gun that can throw changeups you stupid lady.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 17, 2013

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is there some record of the worst game of Jeopardy ever played? I can just imagine the contestants missing something like 50 out of 60 questions and the winner having a hundred bucks.

oh and I really want to see that machine gun that can throw changeups stupid lady.

Pretty recently in a teen tournament none of the contestants had positive scores going into final jeopardy. I think that's probably in contention for worst game, if not deserving of the title.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

oh and I really want to see that machine gun that can throw changeups you stupid lady.

Does this qualify?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y3tb-DVow0

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
That was an embarrassingly easy episode.
$2000 - Neil Young "Keep On Rocking In The ____ _____"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

I specifically said worst, not best.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Signed up for the test. Let's see if I can do as poorly as I did last year!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I haven't heard back after my audition yet, but it sucks that I can't take the test this year because of it :(

Can't they have an option to just take it for fun, maybe check a little box saying you're ineligible?

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009
Wow, one of the few Final Jeopardies in a while where my dumb rear end actually knew the answer without all three on the show also getting it. Perhaps it is a sign that I should take the online test and watch as all my delusions of intelligence turn to ash.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I signed up, but, like, I'm just realizing my brain has turned to mush over the last decade or so. I used to be smart. Now I just remember being able to know things.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I haven't heard back after my audition yet, but it sucks that I can't take the test this year because of it :(

Can't they have an option to just take it for fun, maybe check a little box saying you're ineligible?

They have in the past, surprised they don't this time

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

zakharov posted:

They have in the past, surprised they don't this time

Seems odd to me. If you're going to take it anyway, you might as well make yourself eligible. What have you got to lose?

Or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Billy Idle posted:

Seems odd to me. If you're going to take it anyway, you might as well make yourself eligible. What have you got to lose?

Or am I missing something?

You can't re-take the test within 18 months of an audition. There used to be an option for those who couldn't to take the test for fun.