Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Installed a GFS neck humbucker (Vintage Extra Hot - VEH), Neovin noiseless bridge pickup (Power Rock), new compensated saddles, new switchgear, push/pull pots, and required pickguard.

Spent 50% of the original price of the guitar on fixing it up to what I wanted to eventually use it for. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

Sockington posted:

Installed a GFS neck humbucker (Vintage Extra Hot - VEH), Neovin noiseless bridge pickup (Power Rock), new compensated saddles, new switchgear, push/pull pots, and required pickguard.

Spent 50% of the original price of the guitar on fixing it up to what I wanted to eventually use it for. :3:

Whoah that's nice I love the neck HB/Tele bridge sound when they're both on.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Minor notes: That VEH translates to EVH. GFS sells it with the Diver Down flag. One of their better pickups. Hotter than hell.
Those compensated (brass) saddles only come with their own bridge, but you can yank 'em out and put them on any preexisting bridge, and I strongly reccomend it. The mass makes a difference, compared to a five saddle affair.

Sock, you think it needs a racing stripe? I think it needs a racing stripe.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Made a nice grab off craigslist tonight. A sunburst Epiphone 339 Pro. I had wanted one of these for a while but found them to be wildly varying in build quality and all needing a setup well beyond my abilities when I tried them in a store. For $400 new with coil splitting I was always really tempted.

Found this one on CL with a matching hard case for half the price of new. The previous owner is a gigging musician and he had a nice setup done on it already. I am surprised how nice it is. The neck angle is reasonable so the bridge doesn't have to be all jacked up like some recent Epis and even Gibsons I have tried out lately.

A pic of it next to my Sammick-era Epiphone Sheraton, to show how small the body is compared to normal Gibson/Epi hollow bodies.

And a close shot of the body. I plan on leaving the pickguard on it.

uncle spero fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 27, 2013

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I'm new here but here is my most recent acquisition. Via craigslist. Bought it from a middle aged guy who said his brother modified this shortly before his death, never played it. Sat in this case for ~10 years. (not a single scratch on the pickguard) Serial comes back as a 2001 Mexican Strat.

Looks to be a Duncan JB in the bridge. This guitar was restrung for a righty and I had it reversed again, including a new lefty nut.

Plays better than my Les Paul Studio. Sounds huuuuge with a ton of drive. Wiring is perfect surprisingly!

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 28, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Spero, that's practically a 339.

Just nabbed this this week.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

A red SG and a Jeff Tweedy. I'm envious.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
The Tweedy will be Miss September in the 2014 Guitars of Musician's Lounge Charity Calendar.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Chinatown posted:

I'm new here but here is my most recent acquisition. Via craigslist. Bought it from a middle aged guy who said his brother modified this shortly before his death, never played it. Sat in this case for ~10 years. (not a single scratch on the pickguard) Serial comes back as a 2001 Mexican Strat.

Looks to be a Duncan JB in the bridge. This guitar was restrung for a righty and I had it reversed again, including a new lefty nut.

Plays better than my Les Paul Studio. Sounds huuuuge with a ton of drive. Wiring is perfect surprisingly!

drat! Black on 3TS is sexy!

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Spero, that's practically a 339.

Just nabbed this this week.

Any chance you picked up that Tweedy at Sam Ash? I remember seeing that the last one got transferred for a sale a few days ago.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I just picked up an old Peavey 215 bass cabinet loaded with guitar speakers (big bens).

It sounds completely massive, and I have absolutely no use for it.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Hypnolobster posted:

I just picked up an old Peavey 215 bass cabinet loaded with guitar speakers (big bens).

Surf green strat, 70's headstock, hot rails (I think) in the bridge.

very very very nice. I bet it lights up that massive cabinet.

Also noticed your THR 10. I love mine.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Dimarzio tone zone. I liked it more than the hotrails and JB jr's. And yeah, I really love the THR. It gets used daily for recording quick clips. I wish the high output models sounded better to my ears, but I really love the clean/crunch/lead models.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

The Grapist posted:

Any chance you picked up that Tweedy at Sam Ash? I remember seeing that the last one got transferred for a sale a few days ago.

Nah, picked it up at the end of the year 2012.

Hypnolobster posted:

Doom metal band, man.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Clitch posted:

drat! Black on 3TS is sexy!

I completely agree with you and meant to write something about that, thanks for reminding me

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Been using Cubase for about a decade, got bored and started getting into Live last summer.
I'm going to get M4L for it soonish, didn't really care for the other extra stuff in Suite.

Edit. Got drunk and upgraded to Kontakt 5 last night.

W424 fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 6, 2013

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009

I finally finished my rig.

2x Warwick WA300 heads (300w @ 4ohm each)
1x Warwick WCA 410
1x Warwick WCA 115
I'm using one head per cab, the 115 is pretty bass heavy and the 410 has a lot of mids, some treble and less bass.
I just wish bass gear wasn't so heavy.

Warwick Corvette Standard 5 string and out of view I have a Tech 212 Bass Driver Deluxe, Joyo Digital Delay and a TC Electronic Polytune2.
I just need to find a decent distortion pedal now, the Tech 21 is great for fuzz but I need a blowtorch as well.

(Yeah I really like Warwick.)

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Keptbroom posted:

I finally finished my rig.

A fool's words if I've ever seen them.

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009
Being broke now helps.

I'll probably add more pedals but hopefully I'm done with the expensive stuff for a while.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Literally Elvis posted:

A fool's words if I've ever seen them.

That's actually why I got all the Danos and the iStomp. "Okay. Now you have one of everything and a pedal that can be anything you want. Stop buying pedals, you can fake it if you need it. Be a better player before you buy even more of them."

Then I bought another guitar.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I like Warwick/Framus, but drat are their prices stupid.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Technically, I got one of these.

For, admittedly, my composer. He's pretty good.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.
Got my fancy new custom 7 string from Ran Guitars in today.

Most of my guitars are <$200. I play an $80 tele all the time for my jazz stuff. but this was worth every penny :swoon:

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

pointy as hell yet elegant and beautiful. this is it. the missing link

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

1988 MIJ Jazz Bass Special. (it is actually gunmetal grey but the lighting in my room/house is all red)

Found it on Craigslist for 80, including hard case. Apparently an uncle in the know bought a son this guitar that he never learned- parents sold it for next to nothing.

Has Jazz and Precision pickups, pots were oxidized or something when I got it- had a clicking/puttering noise when plugged up. A few spritz of cleaner and sandpaper and sounds brand new.

Debating on selling it- really want a grabber or music man.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Found the missing rack and floor tom for my Ludwig WFLs. The badges even match the kick and snare~~:3

It's obvious that the shells aren't virgin (lovely Percussion Plus tom mounts on the kick, for instance), but they sound soooo goooood. Not pictured: the Zildjian K/Z hi-hats which I also found for a steal.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Picked this up at the local Goodwill.

Nothing special and exceptionally dirty and beat up, but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

Even if I just strip it for parts I'm way ahead.
Spent the afternoon cleaning it up it's a decent little Tele-clone.
Maybe come spring I'll fill in all the chips and give it a re-spray.

All cleaned up. I picked up the shirt hanging behind it at the Goodwill too.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Thumposaurus posted:

Picked this up at the local Goodwill.

Nothing special and exceptionally dirty and beat up, but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

Even if I just strip it for parts I'm way ahead.
Spent the afternoon cleaning it up it's a decent little Tele-clone.
Maybe come spring I'll fill in all the chips and give it a re-spray.

All cleaned up. I picked up the shirt hanging behind it at the Goodwill too.

Honestly I like the shirt much more. I really like that shirt.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Tacky.jpg

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

SeraphSlaughter posted:

Got my fancy new custom 7 string from Ran Guitars in today.

Most of my guitars are <$200. I play an $80 tele all the time for my jazz stuff. but this was worth every penny :swoon:

Awesome. Specs? Did you buy it as a full custom or was this one that they'd pre-built?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Specter posted:

Tacky.jpg

I've got a soft spot for mockingbirds.

The leopard print is a bit far though...:P

Khomaniac
Dec 9, 2013

Waiting on the electronics (Bourns push/pull pot, Gotoh 3 way toggle, switchcraft jack) before I install them. Probably should have just gone with SD Distortions and saved some money, but I dig being able to say, "Yeah, I've got this one loaded with Black Winters".

Guitar is an early 80s Mockingbird "U.S. Series" (I see some appreciation for the shape here, so I figured I would mention it), which was a hybridized US/MIJ (You will sometimes see it referred to as the "U Series") production type thing they had going for a couple years in the early 80s, made in Japan, assembled and finished in the United States from what I've read. I'm a hardcore 80s Ontario Jackson guy, but this is actually my favorite guitar I own. I love the Mockingbird body shape, and this one has the curved inline headstock, which I prefer to the headstock you usually see on Mockingbirds.

Khomaniac fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 13, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Grats dude. I'm pretty sure Francostein is going to be hyped for you

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Khomaniac posted:

Waiting on the electronics (Bourns push/pull pot, Gotoh 3 way toggle, switchcraft jack) before I install them. Probably should have just gone with SD Distortions and saved some money, but I dig being able to say, "Yeah, I've got this one loaded with Black Winters".

Guitar is an early 80s Mockingbird "U.S. Series" (I see some appreciation for the shape here, so I figured I would mention it), which was a hybridized US/MIJ (You will sometimes see it referred to as the "U Series") production type thing they had going for a couple years in the early 80s, made in Japan, assembled and finished in the United States from what I've read. I'm a hardcore 80s Ontario Jackson guy, but this is actually my favorite guitar I own. I love the Mockingbird body shape, and this one has the curved inline headstock, which I prefer to the headstock you usually see on Mockingbirds.

I never appreciated Kahlers until recently. So much smoother than a Floyd Rose. I still prefer the Floyd style nut though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I snatched up an Ace Thirty and a Velvet Fuzz. What the hell why not :D I mean I expected it to be the case, but they're most certainly great. No surprise that Brian is very good at making pedals with really good sounds, I guess. I'll demo a bit if I can feel up to recording (it's hard for me to play longer than about an hour and I used to spend about an hour warming up before recording poo poo, so... I dunno. Back problems suck.)

Pics - they sound awesome together, by the way, but I imagine that would be true of any amp-in-a-box style pedal that was very well designed. I wasn't around for the development of this guy, but it's clever. New favorite "oh that's a fuzz" type fuzz, replacing the Aramat Mojo Fuzz, a really good Fuzz Face clone made by Keith before he passed away (RIP... dude was cool, it's a god damned shame how poo poo happens, gently caress cancer), at the top of that list and bumping the ProTone Monster Fuzz off the top three entirely. Still a pretty good pedal, but is Dennis even making pedals still?... Hrm, I should look into that.

poo poo I kinda lost the plot there. Uh here's a picture!

My phone's camera is the worst, ugh.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I found a good deal for the M-Audio 2496 @ Maplins for £39.99 including free delivery. I purchased it, then before the card could drop through my letterbox, the motherboard on my tower PC fried (it had an intermittent fault which suddenly became permanent).

I can't afford a new motherboard until well into the new year, but I think I'm going to keep hold of this card until then.

polar
Nov 3, 2003
Got my first guitar and amp.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
As the owner of that fruity little half-stack you got there, I can say congrats on your fun little noisemaker. Plus it really matches paint job of the guitar you've got there.

Also, mind taking a picture of the headstock there so we can tell what kind of Les Paul it is?

Also a pro-tip on the Micro Terror, if you're thinking of getting an overdrive or distortion for more gain, go for either a treble booster or a clean boost. None of the dirt pedals I have work even half as well as the treble booster I have running into that thing, and I have heard from other people that other clean boosts work pretty drat good with it. So in short, try an MXR Micro Amp or an Electro Harmonix LPB-1 before anything else if you want it to get real dirty.

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

The Micro Terror rules. I use one as a backup amp for a 120 watt tube head. I run it through a 6" tall 212 and 215 stack. :3: