Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

A human player will never be using hundreds of men in a human wave attack.
Other than EA and MA Pan, Rlyeh at various times (esp LA), and Ermor/Lemuria/Scelaria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You could probably add LA Ulm to that list.

Vampire counts freespawning thralls out the wazonga, and wolf herds who's only purpose in life is summoning doggies for the meat grinder.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Not to mention hundreds of cheap crossbow dudes.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It seems kind of a hassle to cart around the lovely thralls imho, although the wolves aren't bad. Iron Blizzards and Stellar Cascades are pretty awesome though.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So I'm playing a MA Ermor and just captured the Throne of Splendor, which gives all my blessed units awe, and it's freaking hilarious watching mortal armies melt before my undead horde.

I dunno how I would play them in MP, though, because if I were any other player I'd want the MA Ermor guy out first.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 13, 2013

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You wouldn't, because most games, especially here, don't have MA Ermor in them because they wreck the map.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

jBrereton posted:

You wouldn't, because most games, especially here, don't have MA Ermor in them because they wreck the map.

Is there a way that could ever be balanced? Say, if Ermor-affected territory eventually spawned supply sites representing abandoned granaries, feral livestock, ghost towns waiting to be looted, and the like. It'd be hard to balance with Dominions mechanics, but it'd be nice if conquered Ermor territories could eventually be reclaimed somehow.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 13, 2013

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
We've thought about it for at least twenty minutes, and our conclusion is "make their income 10% of normal or so, don't kill the population".

On the other hand, this would mean that they'd need for their longdead to spawn as "alive" units, as currently ghouls are produced if their domkill, and thus all those corpses, is eliminated (I tested this).

It's also beyond the realms of codeability so far, I think.

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.

ninjewtsu posted:

I would love to see how this plays out. I don't imagine you guys are doing a whole big Let's Play deal out of it, but will there be anyone anywhere describing this match in any detail?

I'm pretty sure that at least one member of the Something Awful team will post some sort of AAR here in this very thread. Even if it's just me, just once, at the very end of the game.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Well, I played for a while as LA Midgard, going off half-remembered LP advice that skinshifters own. I bungled around for a year or so and got a bunch of provinces with several hundred of the bastards before an assassin ganked my crone I sent out to capture a throne with like 80 bodyguards. I also never once figured out how to build things and only realized the menu to select other things commanders could do existed just before the end.

:psyduck: I think I have a lot more to learn.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Schneeble posted:

I'm pretty sure that at least one member of the Something Awful team will post some sort of AAR here in this very thread. Even if it's just me, just once, at the very end of the game.

That'd be nice, especially since it's becoming more and more apparent that the current Dom 4 LP seems to have suffered the fate of so many Dom 3 LPs before it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought Lilli took it over, then Khisanth took it back, but then nothing has appeared in about a week so WHO KNOWS?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'm in the middle of writing up turn 10, it's just that after I told Lilli I would take it back over I got very little sleep for most of the week. It isn't dead, just slowed down a bit until I catch back up on sleep.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Cool beans.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It didn't help that the one day that I was rested I had technical problems getting the screenshots taken. Hopefully turn 10 will get finished and go up tonight.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Daeren posted:

Well, I played for a while as LA Midgard, going off half-remembered LP advice that skinshifters own. I bungled around for a year or so and got a bunch of provinces with several hundred of the bastards before an assassin ganked my crone I sent out to capture a throne with like 80 bodyguards. I also never once figured out how to build things and only realized the menu to select other things commanders could do existed just before the end.
Commanders have the "Construct Building" option. They're required to make fortresses, which are one of the three building types. The others are temples, which Sacred commanders (have some candles on their unit page) can build, and labs are made by mages (any commander with magic other than Holy levels).

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
http://dom4editor.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inspector/index.html

In case anyone didnt know the Dom4 Mod Inspector is up.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

LordLeckie posted:

Ah, wonderful!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

LordLeckie posted:

Godsend.

Bookmarked.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

We've thought about it for at least twenty minutes, and our conclusion is "make their income 10% of normal or so, don't kill the population".

On the other hand, this would mean that they'd need for their longdead to spawn as "alive" units, as currently ghouls are produced if their domkill, and thus all those corpses, is eliminated (I tested this).

It's also beyond the realms of codeability so far, I think.

I think a lot of the MA Ermor's 'wasteland' problem could be solved if population could emigrate from other provinces into the empty provinces you capture from Ermor. The fact that once a province hits 0 pop it's stuck there forever unless a random event grants it some pop is crippling.

Maybe if you capture a province with 0 pop it gets a free +100 people. It's a pity MA Ermor ruins the game so much cuz thematically they're great.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

I think a lot of the MA Ermor's 'wasteland' problem could be solved if population could emigrate from other provinces into the empty provinces you capture from Ermor. The fact that once a province hits 0 pop it's stuck there forever unless a random event grants it some pop is crippling.

Maybe if you capture a province with 0 pop it gets a free +100 people. It's a pity MA Ermor ruins the game so much cuz thematically they're great.
I think the whole migration/rituals to boost pop thing is honestly just a mechanics disaster in the making if we can get faction-based #poppergold going somehow, or at least an analogue of it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

jBrereton posted:

Commanders have the "Construct Building" option. They're required to make fortresses, which are one of the three building types. The others are temples, which Sacred commanders (have some candles on their unit page) can build, and labs are made by mages (any commander with magic other than Holy levels).

Technically you need a commander with priest (holy) levels to make a temple, not just a sacred commander. It may be in practice that all sacred commanders have priest levels (I can't think of a counterexample off the top of my head) but technically they are two different things.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

I think the whole migration/rituals to boost pop thing is honestly just a mechanics disaster in the making if we can get faction-based #poppergold going somehow, or at least an analogue of it.

I don't follow?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

JerryLee posted:

Technically you need a commander with priest (holy) levels to make a temple, not just a sacred commander. It may be in practice that all sacred commanders have priest levels (I can't think of a counterexample off the top of my head) but technically they are two different things.

This was the case in Dom3, but in Dom4 all you need is to be sacred, not to have Holy (priest) levels.

Also, there are piles & piles of sacred commanders who aren't priests. The Jotuns get two pure (no magic at all) sacred commanders, Sauro gets at least one, Vanarus gets one. And there are any number of sacred mages who benefit from E blesses but can't self-bless, a lot of the Bandar mages are like that.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Neruz posted:

I don't follow?

#poppergold is the modding command that sets how much population you need, at neutral scales, to get one gold per turn. It is a game-wide command, so the fix of being able to take Ermor and radically lower their income is not available.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kenlon posted:

#poppergold is the modding command that sets how much population you need, at neutral scales, to get one gold per turn. It is a game-wide command, so the fix of being able to take Ermor and radically lower their income is not available.

Oh I see, jBrereton was trying to say that the immigration thing was a disaster in the making and it would all be a lot easier if we could just set the population per gold faction-wide instead of game-wide.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Speleothing posted:

This was the case in Dom3, but in Dom4 all you need is to be sacred, not to have Holy (priest) levels.

Also, there are piles & piles of sacred commanders who aren't priests. The Jotuns get two pure (no magic at all) sacred commanders, Sauro gets at least one, Vanarus gets one. And there are any number of sacred mages who benefit from E blesses but can't self-bless, a lot of the Bandar mages are like that.

Ahh, my bad. I didn't read about the change and, well, I guess I've never yet tried to build anything with a non-priest sacred commander.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Lilli posted:

Nah, not against scrubs, but yeah we're doing an SA vs Desura/Dom4mods game.

code:
Desura Team    SA Team
Maerlande      Lilli
Shovah         Thedemon
Lourdes   vs   Buildscharacter
Executor       Flavahbeast
AWildPanda     Schneeble
Ohlmann        Irony.or.Death
Here are the final teams drafted.

Team Desura: Utgard, Bogarus, Patala, T'ien Ch'i, Ulm, Agartha
Team Awful: Mictlan, Midgard, C'tis, Atlantis, Gath, Man

Make us proud! :japan:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I have to ask: why Gath?

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011

Speleothing posted:

This is correct, only want to add: a commander made sacred by the shroud of the battlr saint can not build temples (unless he allready was sacred)

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

dis astranagant posted:

Blessable recruit-anywhere troops, is my guess.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm most surprised by no Arco. There's usually at least one Mystic lover in any group.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Kenlon posted:

Blessable recruit-anywhere troops, is my guess.

Yeah it just costs 2000 gold to be able to recruit them.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I'm slightly reluctant to post why we picked each of our nations since our composition has much to do with our team strategy. That being said, I'm willing to post an AAR about why we did what we did and what our (or at least my) thoughts were going into the game and how we did during it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Korwin posted:

This is correct, only want to add: a commander made sacred by the shroud of the battlr saint can not build temples (unless he allready was sacred)

That's probably because shroud doesn't make them sacred, it just makes them blessed. :eng101:

(I hope I'm not wrong about this too)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lilli posted:

I'm slightly reluctant to post why we picked each of our nations since our composition has much to do with our team strategy. That being said, I'm willing to post an AAR about why we did what we did and what our (or at least my) thoughts were going into the game and how we did during it.

Since you are fighting against dirty (forum-)foreigners, I think everybody understands if you don't post more stuff or your thoughts about the on-going game. As long as we get an AAR where we see you go :black101: against your enemies we will be satisfied.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dis astranagant posted:

Trolling irony or death.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

You're all monsters.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Team Desura will slide into incredible hostility through PMs within two or maybe three turns at most, just like the forums themselves :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Beat them so badly they cough up :10bux:

• Locked thread