Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Toilet Clam posted:

A red hat started floating across the screen of my Moto X! I touched it and was treated to a story about a mouse getting sucked into a tornado and ending up in outer space. It was so cute I can forgive my new phone for not having volume button music navigation in tyool 2013.

What happened to the mouse ? Is it okay ? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Savage Cracker posted:

What happened to the mouse ? Is it okay ? :ohdear:

He wanted that hat so bad ! But once he got it every time he put it on something bad happened! So he decided he didn't want it, but now he can't get rid of it! The hat chased him off through the forest. The end.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
Is there a way to add stuff to the menu that comes up when you do a two finger swipe from the top? I'd like to add rotation lock and flashlight buttons.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Crossbar posted:

Is there a way to add stuff to the menu that comes up when you do a two finger swipe from the top? I'd like to add rotation lock and flashlight buttons.

Only if you're rooted. Then you can use Xposed Framework and maybe Gravitybox.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Only if you're rooted. Then you can use Xposed Framework and maybe Gravitybox.

Thanks. I don't want to mess around with root so I found an app called Notification Toggle that will add stuff to the single finger swipe menu. Seems to work well.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Steriletom posted:

I fixed it by blowing some compressed air up in that hole.

I actually tried some compressed air before and it didn't work, but then I used a tooth pick to possibly physically remove some lint and some more compressed air and the problem seems to have vanished. I'm still probably going to buy a Nexus 5 in a couple of weeks, since it's available.

wasey
Apr 6, 2009
I can't seem to find an answer anywhere, does the Moto X via Motomaker come with a sim card? I ordered one as a gift so I can't open the packaging... I doubt it matters but it is a Verizon version.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

wasey posted:

I can't seem to find an answer anywhere, does the Moto X via Motomaker come with a sim card? I ordered one as a gift so I can't open the packaging... I doubt it matters but it is a Verizon version.

Mine did for t-mobile.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The developer edition for Verizon says it comes with a SIM so I would assume the standard one does too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Toilet Clam posted:

If only a single button could do two things! A pipe dream, I know.
Yeah, I'd like to morse code commands to my phone via the volume knobs, too.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why bother with the volume knobs? Phones have accelerometers. It should be entirely possible to build a tap-anywhere morse code input system.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What's boi-oi-oi-oi-oing spell in Morse code?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Kreeblah posted:

That's built in now, though. You can track a phone, cause it to ring, display a message on it, and remote wipe it.

The thing with Cerberus is you can install both the app and config on /system, so if a theif was to factory reset your phone, Cerberus will continue to work for you where others won't.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

Cyanogen has supported long press to change tracks since version 6. No morse code required. Just press a button for like half a second. It's actually a lot easier than whipping out your phone and fiddling with the screen while driving. It's so handy I wrongly assumed it was a standard part of android. Good thing because apparently it's very confusing for their simpler users!

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Crossbar posted:

Power toggles is what you're looking for, only the aeroplane mode button on it requires root, the rest you can add/remove as you wish.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Can anyone speak to the fact that on the update to 4.3 on the Note 2, they moved the ! on the Samsung keyboard from a long press of the A?

I keep typing @ when I need ! after the update and it's driving me crazy.

Why do this to people?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I downloaded the 4.4.2 OTA update for my converted (to GPE) T-Mobile HTC One, I installed TWRP to install it and it worked fine. Now though I'm having an issue with the play store. For certain app (it seems like paid apps) I'm being told that I can't install to usb or sd. Is there a way to fix this or should I just go back to 4.4?

Guess I had an outdated version of TWRP or something because I ended up doing this through the stock recovery and it works now.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 15, 2013

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Krime posted:

Can anyone speak to the fact that on the update to 4.3 on the Note 2, they moved the ! on the Samsung keyboard from a long press of the A?

Why do this to people?

Maybe to see if anybody is left using the stock keyboard? I know that was the first thing I changed.

On my GS3 the @ is still on the A, for the Samsung keyboard. The ! is on the D.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

effika posted:

Maybe to see if anybody is left using the stock keyboard? I know that was the first thing I changed.

On my GS3 the @ is still on the A, for the Samsung keyboard. The ! is on the D.

Maybe I'm going crazy or my muscle memory is lying to me.

I stick with the Samsung keyboard for 2 reasons. 1) The number row on top 2) Voice to text button. I looked around at others and they didn't seem to have both features, but it's been a while.

Also, it seems that when I tap a notification from the pull down notification bar, it won't go to that app anymore (While the screen is locked). It used to do this.

Both twitter and NHL Gamecenter fail to go to the app since the update. Text messages and e-mails do, however.

Krime fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 15, 2013

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Krime posted:

Maybe I'm going crazy or my muscle memory is lying to me.

I stick with the Samsung keyboard for 2 reasons. 1) The number row on top 2) Voice to text button. I looked around at others and they didn't seem to have both features, but it's been a while.

Also, it seems that when I tap a notification from the pull down notification bar, it won't go to that app anymore (While the screen is locked). It used to do this.

Both twitter and NHL Gamecenter fail to go to the app since the update. Text messages and e-mails do, however.

There are tons of third party keyboards with these features. Paid version of Kii enables the top number row for sure, and it's almost identical to the stock aosp keyboard otherwise.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
If I use any USB 3.0 cable with any standard USB wall adapter would I be able to charge the Note 3 as fast as the stock charger?

Also, can I use a regular extender cable to make the cord longer or do I need to use a USB 3.0 cable extender specifically?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Disharmony posted:

If I use any USB 3.0 cable with any standard USB wall adapter would I be able to charge the Note 3 as fast as the stock charger?

Also, can I use a regular extender cable to make the cord longer or do I need to use a USB 3.0 cable extender specifically?

It's the wall adapter that matters, not the cable.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I see. So I need that huge stock adapter that comes bundled in then?

Edit: I want to buy a separate cable and plug that I can leave in the office.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Disharmony posted:

I just bought a 6ft 3.0 cable and a 2.1A charger off to leave at work off Amazon for $12.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Disharmony posted:

You don't need the stock adapter, it's just the speed at which you're able to charge is based on the output from the wall adapter. The cabling has some effect, but not nearly as much.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Krime posted:

Why do this to people?

It's in Samsung's nature. Do a google search for "samsung galaxy s4 mobile data missing" and see forums and comments sections of Android websites wail in grief for their missing pulldown menu mobile data toggle button.

Rest in peace, Mobile Data Button

2012-2013
"Gone From Phones, But Not Neckbeards' Hearts"

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I'm pretty sure if you want to get the fastest charge from a note 3 or a gs4 you need to have a quick charge 2.0 wall adapter.

e: http://www.qualcomm.com/media/blog/2013/02/20/qualcomm-quick-charge-20-less-time-charging-more-time-doing

Long Francesco fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 15, 2013

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I have a question about Google Play on an Android phone. I have most of my songs on Google Play uploaded from my computer, and I would like these songs loaded onto the cloud to synch with my Android phone. In other words I would like them to be downloaded to the device so I can use them offline. What I don't want is to have two versions of everything; the songs loaded onto the phone hard drive, and the duplicate songs from the cloud.

Does the Google Play app do this? How exactly does it function?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Depends what you mean by this. Pinning a song just creates a permanently locally cached copy of it and is automagically managed by the app. If you're going offline, the cached copies act as local media. If you load duplicates of these songs onto your phone's storage manually using Explorer or whatever else, then the app treats this as separate songs, even if there's an bit-exact duplicates from the cloud service.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Combat Pretzel posted:

Depends what you mean by this. Pinning a song just creates a permanently locally cached copy of it and is automagically managed by the app. If you're going offline, the cached copies act as local media. If you load duplicates of these songs onto your phone's storage manually using Explorer or whatever else, then the app treats this as separate songs, even if there's an bit-exact duplicates from the cloud service.

Is it possible to pin your entire library into a local cache on the phone?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Is it possible to pin your entire library into a local cache on the phone?

You can only pin albums and playlists. So yes if you add everything to a playlist.

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011
Is there something wrong with the G2? Regarding the 1st post in this thread. Im trying to decide what im going to upgrade my loyal Galaxy S to and I'm torn between G2, Nexus5 and S4.

Other suggestions are welcome too but bear in mind that motorolas aren't really available in Finland. I'm a bit uncertain about the Nexus5 too because while it sounds like a great phone and the pure android experience is tempting it costs pretty much as much as the G2 and S4 in Finland.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Paging Doctor rear end in a top hat

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Web Jew.0 posted:

You can only pin albums and playlists. So yes if you add everything to a playlist.

There is a limit to the number of songs you can have in a playlist

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

There is a limit to the number of songs you can have in a playlist

Make more than one! :eng101: It's incredibly painless on a computer to make playlists, then simple to pin as many playlists as you want on the phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mursupitsku posted:

Is there something wrong with the G2? Regarding the 1st post in this thread. Im trying to decide what im going to upgrade my loyal Galaxy S to and I'm torn between G2, Nexus5 and S4.

Other suggestions are welcome too but bear in mind that motorolas aren't really available in Finland. I'm a bit uncertain about the Nexus5 too because while it sounds like a great phone and the pure android experience is tempting it costs pretty much as much as the G2 and S4 in Finland.
The Nexus 5 is mostly a G2 without LG making GBS threads up the interface.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

The Nexus 5 is mostly a G2 without LG making GBS threads up the interface.

It doesn't have the same battery life though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you load duplicates of these songs onto your phone's storage manually using Explorer or whatever else, then the app treats this as separate songs, even if there's an bit-exact duplicates from the cloud service.

I was able to load up my whole library on to local storage and play music recognized it as matching ones online and didn't create dups.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Savage Cracker posted:

It doesn't have the same battery life though.

Or tap to wake which looks super cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Mursupitsku posted:

If you don't care about design, the G2 is fine. All of its problems are software-based, and it's impossible to get people who either lack the ability to identify poor design or don't care about it to acknowledge them. Nothing LG did with the interface adds to the user experience; they took TouchWiz and then made it even worse. It's everything that's wrong with Android design in that it shoves every single possible option in the user's face, breaks long-standing interface concepts, and confuses glitz and gimmicks with quality.

That said, if you either don't or can't care about that, then go nuts. For the most part, the Moto X/RAZR line now seems to be the most unanimously agreed upon "really good phone" in here, though, which I would suggest if it were available.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Paging Doctor rear end in a top hat
I got you.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 15, 2013

• Locked thread