Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009

Hambilderberglar posted:

If the title has a lower rank than yours they become your vassal.

Only if they are in your de jure territory or of your dynasty, no? Or did a recent patch change this?

Parallax Scroll posted:

So I could give the guy a city first and then invade?

Yeah this is the easiest way to abuse the pressing claims system (they still have to be lower-ranked at the end though).

edit: Actually no, the most abusive way is to declare war before giving him the title, then give the title when the war is effectively won and sue for peace immediately afterward.

Dickensian Aspect fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Gumby posted:

Also, if the person whose claim you're backing is already your vassal, they'll stay your vassal.
I don't think this applies if you're fighting for a title of equal worth. A Duke or Petty King cannot vassalize another.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I'm playing with the beta patch.

Hmm, maybe they've fixed it but it's not in the latest beta build or something. At the very least, they are aware of it

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Dickensian Aspect posted:

Only if they are in your de jure territory or of your dynasty, no? Or did a recent patch change this?

I *think* it still works if you have a vassal outside of the de-jure territory of your title and not of your dynasty, and you push a claim for a vassal of his.

Ie: you are king of ireland, you have a duke level vassal outside of your realm and you push for a county that would be part of his de jure territory.
I could be talking out of my rear end though and you could just be correct.

Anyone have a clue for me on how to shut up the aztecs defeated event? It's getting tedious to have my game pause every two weeks to click that loving dialogue away. I've tried to kill all of the aztec emperors with any weak claims to landed titles, the current one just has the title emperor of mexikha, no land, no military, nothing. I just want him to go away already

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hambilderberglar posted:

I'm playing the beta patch with sunset invasion and this event is firing every two loving weeks. I've tried to look at the event code but I can't find what the hell the problem is. The aztecs defeated flag does appear to be set in the autosave and the title of mexikha is set to active = no.
Is this a beta problem and should I just roll back to the non-beta patch?

I'm playing the beta patch and the Jihad for Africa is failing like every two years and completely tanking the Sunni moral authority. I'm not sure how they're losing since the Sultan of Africa is literally the only Shia ruler in the game.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm playing the beta patch and the Jihad for Africa is failing like every two years and completely tanking the Sunni moral authority. I'm not sure how they're losing since the Sultan of Africa is literally the only Shia ruler in the game.
Are you sure it's not the Shia Caliphate? It still exists in my game and is a single mosque in Iraq somewhere. They've declared SEVEN jihads over the span of the game, the majority of which they did without anyone joining them and as such they got embarrassingly trounced with the requisite collapse in moral authority.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Ok, Mr. Pope. Yeah, I'm not crusading. I'm singlehandedly winning a goddamn jihad because everyone else is busy pretending to care about your futile quest for hungary. No need to thank me for defending the faith or anything. Just go hang out with your crusade buddies and talk about how you sent five guys at the horde and called it a day. rear end in a top hat.

I'm really just seeing how long I can fly under the radar with bribes. I never thought Europe could survive the Tengri swarm. Just when things seemed their darkest, a new hope arose in the west:

She survived a massive revolt to become the second largest player in the world. When she hit 16 her vassals actually liked her and at 19 she could pull 200k+ troops, which is more than anyone but the Ilkhanate itself. With neighboring France and England, there's potential to actually push the mongols back for the first time since they conquered the Seljuks.

Then she got stabbed because some Byzantine dickhead decided that he'd rather be killed by mongols than live in a world where he was a duke. That girl had a short, amazing life. Now we're all hosed. :smith:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

After taking Ossory, the petty kingdom of Tara looks like this:

It says now I can create the title Duchy of Leinster, which I guess is on the same level as Tara. Is there any benefit to creating the title or should I just leave it?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Parallax Scroll posted:

It says now I can create the title Duchy of Leinster, which I guess is on the same level as Tara. Is there any benefit to creating the title or should I just leave it?

It'll get you de jure claims on the rest of the duchy (normally the requirement is half the counties plus one unless it's a two-county duchy), which means you can war for that territory. Also, prestige!

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Parallax Scroll posted:

After taking Ossory, the petty kingdom of Tara looks like this:

You'll get a nice chunk of prestige when you create it, and generate a bit more prestige every month for holding it. Create it and hold onto it until you become king of Ireland.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

It'll get you de jure claims on the rest of the duchy (normally the requirement is half the counties plus one unless it's a two-county duchy), which means you can war for that territory. Also, prestige!

The de jure duchy is only those bottom two counties I already hold, but I'll do it for the prestige. Thanks.

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009

Parallax Scroll posted:

The de jure duchy is only those bottom two counties I already hold, but I'll do it for the prestige. Thanks.

You're not on gavelkind, are you? Could be dangerous to make a new duchy if you are.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Knuc If U Buck posted:

edit: putting this at the top of my post because I want someone to comment on it: I just started an Old Gods game with the beta patch and Orthodoxy was immediately declared a Catholic Heresy (in fact it got "supplanted" by Catholicism). Is this normal? I can't imagine that it is and am thinking it might me some kind of glitch related to me going from my Roman Empire game where Catholicism was an Orthodox Heresy.

This happened to me too in my Byzantines game too. For a while the Catholics were considered an Orthodox heresy, but eventually Orthodox became a Catholic heresy.

I don't remember this happening before SoA.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

e: nevermind

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Dickensian Aspect posted:

You're not on gavelkind, are you? Could be dangerous to make a new duchy if you are.

Yeah, if you're on gavelkind and create another same-level title (so another duchy if you're a duke, another kingdom if you're a king, etc.), your realm will be split up when you die. Hold off on creating it until you've changed your succession law.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Ludwig van Halen posted:

This happened to me too in my Byzantines game too. For a while the Catholics were considered an Orthodox heresy, but eventually Orthodox became a Catholic heresy.

I don't remember this happening before SoA.

Catholics being an Orthodox heresy on other saves after mending the schism in one has been reported since like, LoR's release. The new SoA mechanics mean it will end up turning Orthodox into a Catholic heresy on pretty much any start date.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Bishop Rodan posted:

Yeah, if you're on gavelkind and create another same-level title (so another duchy if you're a duke, another kingdom if you're a king, etc.), your realm will be split up when you die. Hold off on creating it until you've changed your succession law.

Change it right now while you're independent, too, because it's harder to switch to Primogeniture (the best succession law) when you're under another duchy or kingdom because it requires High Crown Authority.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

hellsjudge posted:

Change it right now while you're independent, too, because it's harder to switch to Primogeniture (the best succession law) when you're under another duchy or kingdom because it requires High Crown Authority.

I changed it to Elective earlier.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

hellsjudge posted:

Elective is the best, Hellsjudge :colbert:

Ovo fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 14, 2013

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Ovo posted:

Elective sucks. Ultimogeniture is superior to both it and Primo :colbert:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Staring down the barrel at a game over from my young childless king dying of an illness and his 60 year old aunt inheriting with no heirs of my dynasty (she is regularly married with a couple of kids). I'm not sure how this happened but there have been several mysterious murders of my close dynasty members including my sister and heir so I suspect the aunt has been scheming.

I think I'll just reload to when the king was still alive. I could salvage the situation by switching to elective but it feels pretty gamey for the queen to vote for good statted dynasty members instead of her own children. If I go back to play as the king will choosing the 'have son' ambition increase fertility? He already had great relations with his wife (90+) but still no kids after three years of marriage. Neither of them are gay, chaste or celibate.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Did you load any pre-patch games before playing a new game with the beta patch? If so, restart it and start a new game, see if it fixes the issue.

Yes. I already fixed it by restarting a couple times and verifying the cache. If what I encountered isn't the bug they fixed, what is?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ovo posted:

If you're Irish there's no reason to go Elective over Tanistry

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Tanistry has always been a bastard for me to get the people I want elected as my successor, but with elective I've never had an issue.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Sonendar 1.05.5

There was a major issue where about half the realms were on Open Elective succession, because I'd neglected to add in the new succession laws that Paradox added with Sons of Abraham (Papal Succession and Appointment).

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've never heard of Tanistry before now. Is that from CK2+ or some DLC? I don't see how you can get it in-game.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Jay Rust posted:

I've never heard of Tanistry before now. Is that from CK2+ or some DLC? I don't see how you can get it in-game.

It's from a patch, you have to be from celtic culture group. It is basically an elective, but your vassals can elect only ruling dynasty. But be careful, they love to find some obscure old rear end in a top hat that share your name and make him king.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Captain Novolin posted:

Tanistry has always been a bastard for me to get the people I want elected as my successor, but with elective I've never had an issue.

Backing this, 100%. I've never had an issue with Elective, where my vassals seem to much more readily fall in line and vote for the people I tell them to, but with Tanistry they never seem to want to. The candidate weighting must be different.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

They're more likely to vote for older dynasty members, so it's more akin to seniority than elective wrt to player control. I have seen them vote for random child dynasty members though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Speaking of elective with respect to female rulers, does it just not show them? My realm was equal gender (agnatic-cognatic I think?) so females could rule, and I wanted to put my genius daughter on the throne, but I could only find male heirs for it.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Eimi posted:

Speaking of elective with respect to female rulers, does it just not show them? My realm was equal gender (agnatic-cognatic I think?) so females could rule, and I wanted to put my genius daughter on the throne, but I could only find male heirs for it.

Equal gender is abs-cog, ag-cog is men before women. It should show women under elective for either case, though.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Pretty sure for Tanistry electors intentionally avoid the current ruler's kids and vote for one of the former ruler's. In real life it was used to pass the throne between two different branches of the house. In other words, make sure to breed two lines of genius ubergods! (I might have done this)

Also quick vassal question, some dude in charge of one of my counties inherited a kingdom and went independent even though I'm an Emperor. Is this supposed to happen?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

grancheater posted:

Equal gender is abs-cog, ag-cog is men before women. It should show women under elective for either case, though.

Ah, right. Haven't learned the names yet. I will double check on the elective since I seem to remember her not showing up and getting upset. Maybe its a mod messing things up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Also quick vassal question, some dude in charge of one of my counties inherited a kingdom and went independent even though I'm an Emperor. Is this supposed to happen?

If the Kingdom is outside of your Empire then I think this can happen (he'll just move).

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
I've had several daughters elected ruler before. There's no difference between ab-cog and abs-cog elective with regards to succession, though abs-cog will let you grant women titles.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I think I remember somebody saying that if a vassal who inherits is too many ranks below you, then they become independent.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

computer parts posted:

If the Kingdom is outside of your Empire then I think this can happen (he'll just move).

Does high crown authority have any effect on this? One of the things it does is prevent titles within the realm from being inherited by outsiders. So if a vassal gets a kingdom outside of the realm do they remain a vassal because their previous titles can't leave your realm?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Well, it seems that I've fixed the Aztec defeat event from firing every two weeks by adding a check for the aztec defeated tag. Since I'm not sure if this is a beta problem or something else, would someone be so kind as to paste me their non-beta vanilla aztecs defeated event? (crusader kings 2/events/sunset invasion) I'm curious to see if someone just forgot to add a line or if the vanilla event lacks the check for the flag also, in which case i've probably kludged it.

Muskatnuss
Mar 17, 2013
So I tried playing some CK2+ but they added about 2 million new provinces(Iceland doesn't need 6 counties ffs.)

Should I just play vanilla or is there a balance mod that isn't terrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Trying to work around gavelkind is so frustrating. I started as Ivar and one of his 3 sons died. All good. Less sons to split up my inheritance, RIP. I then go about parceling out the counties I don't want to my remaining secondary sons, leaving my heir unlanded so as to try and have some level of control over what counties I [rear end to my heir. It's now at the point where these suckers have more counties that I do and they still stand to inherit some of my best counties. It's infuriating.

• Locked thread