Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Tha Chodesweller posted:

The dock is cool, I agree. But Tegra 3 and 1GB of RAM is a bad idea when much more well equipped tablets exist at a similar or lesser price point.

Yeah, fair enough. I forgot about the new (?) TF701. What's been a general impressions on that? I looked it up and apparently you can't use the TF700 dock which is a bummer and deal breaker for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

I just got a 16GB Nexus 7 (I actually won it at a raffle. Score!).

But now I have no idea where to start. Should I be rooting this device? Anything you suggest doing before I run the system update? Which brand of carrying case is the best bang for my buck?
If you might ever want to root it then you should at least unlock the bootloader now because doing so will factory reset your device.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

So I woke up and all my widgets were screwed up, have Google changed the grid size of the experience launcher?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Daimo posted:

So I woke up and all my widgets were screwed up, have Google changed the grid size of the experience launcher?

I'm pretty sure they did. I lost a whole column of icons.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Bastards!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can anyone recommend some good eye candy widgets for a Nexus 7?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Daimo posted:

Yeah, I had an entire page disappear.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Truly the Google experience

mrpeaches
Jan 12, 2005

Christoff posted:

Yeah, fair enough. I forgot about the new (?) TF701. What's been a general impressions on that? I looked it up and apparently you can't use the TF700 dock which is a bummer and deal breaker for me.

I don't have any experience with the dock, but the TF701 is a solid tablet. I had one but sent it back because the screen, although sharp and nice, didn't get near as bright as the TF700 and I had a use case that necessitated a bright screen.

If you don't need exceptional brightness, it seemed to be a very good tablet and ran pretty much everything that I threw at it without issue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

baka kaba posted:

Truly the Google experience

Yup, Google sure did gently caress up that update to something that had to be hacked into existence on unsupported hardware.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Yup, Google sure did gently caress up that update to something that had to be hacked into existence on unsupported hardware.
This is true. I was thinking it was my Nexus 5 that this happened on, but it wasn't, it was my Nexus 7. Which (obviously) I had sideloaded it onto.

Took like two minutes to recreate the page anyway so nothing lost.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It wasn't a hack, it's just using the launcher apk from the Nexus 5.

If anything, it's Google fixing a few bugs on tablets as they know people are using the launcher on tablets.

Along with 4.4.1 adding transparency on the lock screen of the Nexus 4 and 7, I'd say Google is basically using this as beta testing and is fixing things to finally release the launcher to Nexus devices later.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Mine deleted the first page as well. Also something seems to be missing from my quick bar thing. I don't know what was there but something was.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

It wasn't a hack, it's just using the launcher apk from the Nexus 5.

I would say side loading a device specific apk to enable something was obvious to anyone using it that it lacked proper tablet layouts qualifies as a hack, but that's just arguing semantics. Regardless, is not really worth mentioning if updates to search completely screw up home screens on unsupported devices.

Either wait until it's released to the Nexus 7 or accept that any search update could completely blow away your home screen setup.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Is there a thread consensus on the best 2013 Nexus 7 keyboard case?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The consensus is Don't buy a 7 inch keyboard case.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Fayez Butts posted:

The consensus is Don't buy a 7 inch keyboard case.

I kind of figured that, haha. When I saw there were a few available, I started to think, "well, maybe it's not too ridiculously small...."

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I would say side loading a device specific apk to enable something was obvious to anyone using it that it lacked proper tablet layouts qualifies as a hack, but that's just arguing semantics. Regardless, is not really worth mentioning if updates to search completely screw up home screens on unsupported devices.

Either wait until it's released to the Nexus 7 or accept that any search update could completely blow away your home screen setup.

The thing is it looks like they're working on supporting tablets.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 14, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

The thing is it looks like they're working on supporting tablets.

I would agree, but that doesn't mean it's ready for primetime yet and it's likely to have more bugs until it is.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It was just a surprise. C'est la beta vie.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I would agree, but that doesn't mean it's ready for primetime yet and it's likely to have more bugs until it is.

Yes, I agree that it's not ready for primetime, I'm not seeing anyone who says it is (aside from the Android fanblogs but they're kind of biased anyway). This is nothing more than a giant beta where those with Nexus devices are all just bug-testing for Google while getting to sort of have some of the same things the Nexus 5 has.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

bull3964 posted:

I just wanted to make a Google experience joke. I know you got the joke!

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Cojawfee posted:

Mine deleted the first page as well. Also something seems to be missing from my quick bar thing. I don't know what was there but something was.

Ah. Thought I was crazy, but yep, all my home screens reset as well.

Don't mind recreating them but one thing that's bugging me: they enlarged the icon size, so rather than having room for the stock widget and 15+ apps on my front page, I can only have 10. Bummer.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yes, I agree that it's not ready for primetime, I'm not seeing anyone who says it is (aside from the Android fanblogs but they're kind of biased anyway). This is nothing more than a giant beta where those with Nexus devices are all just bug-testing for Google while getting to sort of have some of the same things the Nexus 5 has.

Bull was replying to baka kaba's comment which could reasonably be interpreted as implying that you should be able to expect a better experience, whereas what you should expect when running software in an unsupported manner is nothing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Aside from that thing where it deleted a page, it's been fine for me. The patch made it better because the search goes over to the left in landscape mode which gets it out of the way of apps at the top of the screen.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Question for Nexus 7 owners. Is it possible to give my Nexus GPS functionality? If yes- does it require having a data plan?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

melon cat posted:

Question for Nexus 7 owners. Is it possible to give my Nexus GPS functionality? If yes- does it require having a data plan?

The nexus 7 already has GPS.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've had an Asus TF Prime with the dock for almost 2 years and I love it. Recently I unlocked it and flashed an unofficial CM 10.2 for it and not only I have no complaints, but it scratched the itch I had for a nexus tablet. Hate on Asus all you want, mine is awesome :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

melon cat posted:

It has a GPS radio and gets its signal from the actual satellites. You will either need a data plan or tether from your phone in order to use google maps unless you download the maps for where you are going ahead of time.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Guillermus posted:

I've had an Asus TF Prime with the dock for almost 2 years and I love it. Recently I unlocked it and flashed an unofficial CM 10.2 for it and not only I have no complaints, but it scratched the itch I had for a nexus tablet. Hate on Asus all you want, mine is awesome :colbert:

That's funny you would state that; I've done the exact same thing with my TF Prime for the exact same reason! I too love the tablet, it's served me well for two years and CM 10.2 has given it new life.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

....and here I thought I was the only one that ever defended it!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

It has a GPS radio and gets its signal from the actual satellites. You will either need a data plan or tether from your phone in order to use google maps unless you download the maps for where you are going ahead of time.
Well, good to know that it has the capability. I don't have a data plan (I rely 100% on wifi for Internet). Not quite sure how to download the map like you're suggesting. Do you just set the route and destination on Google maps, and that's it?

\/ Awesome. Thanks for helping me figure it out. I feel like an old man learning Internets and computers.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 15, 2013

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004

melon cat posted:

Well, good to know that it has the capability. I don't have a data plan (I rely 100% on wifi for Internet). Not quite sure how to download the map like you're suggesting. Do you just set the route and destination on Google maps, and that's it?

There's an option to download a defined map area in Google Maps so you can use it for offline use. It won't download a huge area at a time or include all details, but it should be serviceable enough. Just zoom to the area you're planning to travel in and select the search bar and you should see the option at the bottom of the list.

Note, however, that this will not give you the ability to set routes or change them while on the road since that requires an internet connection. I recently did some traveling with my Nexus and it was a bit of a pain having to rely on having a connection between stops, but it was certainly better than nothing.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

melon cat posted:

It looks you just zoom in on the area you want to cache and search or say "OK Maps" as outlined here.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57593006-48/how-to-cache-offline-maps-in-google-maps-7.0/#!

Only problem is that it refuses to cache if the area you are viewing is too large. I could barely fit in the entirety of New York City on screen before it allowed itself to cache the map. It's awfully convoluted compared to HERE Maps (formerly Nokia Maps) where you can select individual countries or individual states/provinces/regions to cache. It even gives you file sizes to help you manage your data and a function to keep the maps updated.

EDIT: /\ Or that too.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
What about (I Think) NavFree USA app? I thought it let you download map packs for various states (I think each one is about 100MB) and store those maps on your phone and use so you could still use your device's GPS and do route mapping without a internet connection.

Caveat, though: I had it on my Android phone for a while, but on my phone it had a problem with sometimes not working all the time, like the maps would sometimes not be there if I wasn't connected to wifi. Now, this might have been a problem with my phone, somehow, by maybe not seeing the maps if they were loaded on the SD card instead of the internal memory. I've not redownloaded it to my Tab 2 to see if it worked better on that with more storage capacity or not.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Maverick Pro might still be on sale for $2.50. I think it does all that offline map stuff well.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Not sure if I should be asking here or the Apps thread, but:

I'm taking my Nexus somewhere with no internet connection (great aunt's house), but I want to show her some pictures on it from my Facebook page.

Is there a convenient way to download an entire album straight to the device? Or would I have to either download each picture one by one, or download via an app, or download to my computer and transfer over?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Looking at 2 cheap tablets on ebay.

Was hoping for some feedback about which one would be better.

They are both 10" tablets, some generic name like iruli or irulu.

One has a Rockchip RK2928 Cortex-A9; Mail-400 MP 1.5ghz processor and is black.

One has a Allwinner A20 ARM Cortex-A7 Dual-Core; ARM® Mali400MP2 but it doesn't say what the speed is, and it's white.

Both have 8 gb memory and 1 gb ddr3 ram. Both are capacitive 5 point touch screens, and both are 1024x600 resolution.

I plan to do some light browsing, read comic books, maybe read reddit, and stream netflix.

The price is nearly identical for both (116 vs 118), so which one would be the better/faster one to get? Or, are they both god damned horrible and unworthy of wasting around 100$ on something to goof around with.

They do come with a case with a built in keyboard though, so that's kinda nifty.

Any feedback is appreciated.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Or, are they both god damned horrible and unworthy of wasting around 100$ on something to goof around with.
It is indeed a waste of money.

Do not buy an Android tablet that is not a Nexus 7. You are not saving money by buying something cheaper, you are throwing it away it by buying something that is worthless. Do not encourage companies to waste precious mineral resources on garbage by buying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The price is nearly identical for both (116 vs 118), so which one would be the better/faster one to get? Or, are they both god damned horrible and unworthy of wasting around 100$ on something to goof around with.

Any feedback is appreciated.
That resolution on a 7 inch sounds terrible, much less on 10.

A refurbished Nexus 7 (2012) is around 115 on sale. Wait for one of those.

There's really no great tablets out other than the Nexus 7 right now. Hence the thread title. Every other tablet has some major to minor caveats.