Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

He HJKd into a ghost types. That is an eternal mark of shame. He quit of disgust for his own incompetence.

Or he's an idiot.

I do it all the time, it's not like taking 50% is horrible unless you didn't run regenerator or something which I guess in battle spot he wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Ignite Memories posted:

Holy crap my breaking bad team won!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-70002855

I'm so bad at pokemon, how did this happen
That Scrafty was a stud.

After a series of poor decisions, I pulled a victory out my rear end (the 'gg' was me accepting my defeat, not taunting):

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-69984349

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zoness posted:

I do it all the time, it's not like taking 50% is horrible unless you didn't run regenerator or something which I guess in battle spot he wouldn't.

How do you deal with the shame? HOW? :mad:

I know missing HJK doesn't lose you the game, I just always feel incredibly dumb when it does.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Coaaab posted:

That Scrafty was a stud.

After a series of poor decisions, I pulled a victory out my rear end (the 'gg' was me accepting my defeat, not taunting):

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-69984349

drat dude, that galvantula did WORK. I didn't realize it was good for something other than sticky web!

edit: does anyone have any feedback on this OU trick room team? I really enjoy the concept of it, and I'm thinking about trying to breed it IRL.

=== [pokebankou] OU Breaking Bad ===

Jesse (Scrafty) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Bulk Up
- Rest

Walter (Slowking) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Rash Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room

Hector (Cofagrigus) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Lax Nature
IVs: 30 SDef / NaN Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Steel]
- Trick Room

Todd (Ditto) @ Iron Ball
Ability: Imposter
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bashful Nature
- Transform
- Transform
- Transform
- Transform

Skyler (Archeops) (F)
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Roost

Blue Sky (Avalugg) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

wait, it's impossible to accrue this many leftovers in a real pokemon game, isn't it? I guess I would have to think about other items to use.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 14, 2013

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You can acquire more than one set of leftovers but in standard online play, you can't have more than 1 of any item on your team. So you could get 6 leftovers but you wouldn't be able to use the team online until you remove 5 of them. I like this since it forces you to think more creatively about what items to use since you can't just slap leftovers onto everything.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

In that case, what would be the best leftover carrier on that team, and what items would be good for the others?

I'm thinking, probably bulky scrafty? Because he kind of wants to stall out anyways.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Where can you get spare leftovers? Just from a Snorlax safari?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So what's a good EV spread for a Special Wall/Bulky Special Attack Goodra? Never did much with bulkier attacks so not sure what to do.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

drat dude, that galvantula did WORK. I didn't realize it was good for something other than sticky web!

97 SpAtk and 108 Speed isn't bad at all, especially when you can belt out STAB Thunders that almost never miss.

Bongo Bill posted:

You can't. There's no such thing as a Snorlax safari.

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 14, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So what's a good EV spread for a Special Wall/Bulky Special Attack Goodra? Never did much with bulkier attacks so not sure what to do.
Probably D.Pulse, T. Bolt, Ice Beam, Rest. If you don't want to use Rest (understandable), then go for Protect to stall your Leftovers recovery, or Sludge Wave to hit Fairies. Or, if you don't mind going mixed, EQ, Ice Beam, Focus Blast, Rock Slide hits just about everything in the game SE.

The other main alternative is Toxic/Rest/Infestation/Acid Armor.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 14, 2013

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Bongo Bill posted:

Level up something with the Pickup ability to 91+ and bring it with you when you fight things. I think you might also be able to buy them with BP?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The Leper Colon V posted:

Probably D.Pulse, T. Bolt, Ice Beam, Rest. If you don't want to use Rest (understandable), then go for Protect to stall your Leftovers recovery, or Sludge Wave to hit Fairies.

Oh no I had a Chesto Berry Rest strat worked out I need some tips on a decent EV spread for Him.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Probably D.Pulse, T. Bolt, Ice Beam, Rest. If you don't want to use Rest (understandable), then go for Protect to stall your Leftovers recovery, or Sludge Wave to hit Fairies.

People really underestimate Protect in Singles, it's a really versatile move. If you have some Toxic (or even Burn/Poison/environmental) damage on your team it racks up some free damage and gets you leftovers health back. It also lets you scout, and sometimes leads to some awkward mind games where your Protect catches your opponent's surprise hail mary move and now they aren't so confident in throwing it (or maybe they are? Test your reads!).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh no I had a Chesto Berry Rest strat worked out I need some tips on a decent EV spread for Him.
Ah.

Well, there are a few ways to do it. If you wanna give up a slot for Acid Armor, then you'll only have D. Pulse and one other move, and you'll have trouble with either Steel-Types (if you choose Sludge Wave), or Fairy Types (If you choose Flamethrower). In this case, go HP + SpDef, and delight in how goddamn insane its bulk is.

If you're just going three moves + Rest, then go for HP and SpAtk, for a special-defense-leaning mixed wall. If you want a true mixed wall, go Def and HP or SpAtk instead, and let Goodra's 150 base SpDef do its own work.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 14, 2013

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I had another stupid doubles (or, more likely, triples) idea. It has to do with the fact that Harvest can regenerate berries that were thrown away using Fling; if you use Fling while holding a berry, the target gets the effect of the berry. Nothing with Harvest can learn Fling. However, lots of things learn Fling that also get either Skill Swap (in case they have an ability that Trevenant, Tropius, or Exeggutor would really appreciate) or Role Play (otherwise). If you set it up just right, you can have a crappy makeshift version of Heal Pulse or Aromatherapy!

canoshiz posted:

Level up something with the Pickup ability to 91+ and bring it with you when you fight things. I think you might also be able to buy them with BP?

Ah, Pickup, of course. Well, now I know what to do.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ah.

Well, there are a few ways to do it. If you wanna give up a slot for Acid Armor, then you'll only have D. Pulse and one other move, and you'll have trouble with either Steel-Types (if you choose Sludge Wave), or Fairy Types (If you choose Flamethrower). In this case, go HP + SpDef, and delight in how goddamn insane its bulk is.

If you're just going three moves + Rest, then go for HP and SpAtk, for a special-defense-leaning mixed wall. If you want a true mixed wall, go Def and HP or SpAtk instead, and let Goodra's 150 base SpDef do its own work.

Yeah my current moveset idea is Rest/Ice Beam/Sludge Wave/Flamethrower. I don't see the point in running Dragon Pulse over Ice Beam since Ice Beam Gets me more coverage with minimal Losses (I can't SE Kingdra is all I lose).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

canoshiz posted:

Actually, Bulbapedia says 81-100 for X and Y.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
So I want to restart my Y Version and do a Wonder Locke run. I just noticed the pre-game menu doesn't have a "New Game" button anymore. I didn't realize they ever took that out. How do I start a new game?

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Gardevoir and Togekiss have 80 base speed, which makes them a little fast for Trick Room teams, but if they had 0 speed IVs and a -speed nature, could they still be viable? I could really use their coverage. Otherwise I'm going to have to go with someone dumb like Granbull to round out my Fairy Trick Room team.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Ignite Memories posted:

edit: does anyone have any feedback on this OU trick room team? I really enjoy the concept of it, and I'm thinking about trying to breed it IRL.

=== [pokebankou] OU Breaking Bad ===

Jesse (Scrafty) (M) @ Leftovers Life Orb
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Bulk Up
- Rest

Walter (Slowking) (M) @ Leftovers Mental Herb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Rash Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room

Hector (Cofagrigus) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Lax Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 SDef / NaN Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Steel]
- Trick Room

Todd (Ditto) @ Iron Ball
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bashful Nature I would suggest Naive but I'm not sure it matters when Ditto transforms
- Transform
- Transform
- Transform
- Transform

Skyler (Archeops) (F)
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Roost

Blue Sky (Avalugg) @ Leftovers
Weakness policy maybe?
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Adamant Brave Nature
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

I would make these changes, the bolded ones are one's I'm not 100 percent sure of. I would suggest replacing Archeops with someone who can work in and out of trick room, someone who has priority, Mega Mawile maybe?, or Crawdunt. Archeops will help ehen Trick room is not up, but he'll be dead weight when it is. Might be worth testing. The natures I'm assuming you were looking at a flowchart, SpD is special defense, speed is Spe.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 14, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Unbound posted:

So I want to restart my Y Version and do a Wonder Locke run. I just noticed the pre-game menu doesn't have a "New Game" button anymore. I didn't realize they ever took that out. How do I start a new game?
There's a button combination you have to put in at the title screen. IIRC, it's both shoulder buttons, X, and up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's a button combination you have to put in at the title screen. IIRC, it's both shoulder buttons, X, and up.

Check the manual if that's not it.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Bongo Bill posted:

Check the manual if that's not it.

Referred to the manual. Turns out it's X+B+Up during the cutscene prior to the pre-game menu.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Unbound posted:

Referred to the manual. Turns out it's X+B+Up during the cutscene prior to the pre-game menu.

I like how they just make this even more arbitrary every generation.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

LAY-ZX posted:

I like how they just make this even more arbitrary every generation.

I think that's how it's been since Gen IV, actually. You could've just hit New Game in older gens, but you weren't allowed to save your game.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I'm pretty sure the specific button sequence and when you have to put it in keeps getting changed, though.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I was wondering if I could have some advice for whether or not I should switch out some members of my team? I'm at Reflection cave right now and my team right now is:
Skiddo, Helioptile, Frogadier, Tyrunt, Fletchinder, and Honedge.

hostess with the Moltres fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 14, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Constr posted:

I was wondering if I could have some advice for whether or not I should switch out some members of my team? I'm at Reflection cave right now and my team right now is:
Skiddo, Helioptile, Frogadier, Tyrunt,Fletchinder, and Honedge.

Uh...how about more information here? Why do you feel you need a new team member? Who isn't pulling their weight?

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

LAY-ZX posted:

I'm pretty sure the specific button sequence and when you have to put it in keeps getting changed, though.

I miss being able to just pick "New Game" and start over in gen 2, though understand why they changed that.

Also Wonder Locke confirmed for best way to play. Traded out my Froakie for a Caterpie.

e: Caterpie died.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.

Unbound posted:

I miss being able to just pick "New Game" and start over in gen 2, though understand why they changed that.

Also Wonder Locke confirmed for best way to play. Traded out my Froakie for a Caterpie.

This is the most depressing Wonder Locke I have ever read. 10/10

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Unbound posted:

This is one of the most most simultaneously hilarious and sad things I've ever read. :allears:

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Constr posted:

Skiddo, Helioptile, Frogadier, Tyrunt,Fletchinder, and Honedge.

You will be perfectly fine to complete the game with that team. You can beat the game with just about any team, really, especially if you abuse the XP Share.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

LAY-ZX posted:

Uh...how about more information here? Why do you feel you need a new team member? Who isn't pulling their weight?

Helioptile is very fragile and I don't really have anything that's good against electric types.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Watching a shedinja smack my cofagrigus and turn into a mummy is one of the most delicious feelings of schadenfreude I have ever had.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I might have lost my Froakie to a Caterpie right at the start, but I just got a Timid Protean Froakie a couple routes later.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Unbound posted:

I might have lost my Froakie to a Caterpie right at the start, but I just got a Timid Protean Froakie a couple routes later.

I don't know, Protean is a real liability when you're not allowed to faint.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Constr posted:

Helioptile is very fragile and I don't really have anything that's good against electric types.

You've got that, Skiddo and Honedge, you'll be fine against electric types. You're still in the awkward middle phase, once everything's evolving and getting better moves, you'll be fine, your team is nice and varied. Make sure to get the Sun Stone from Shalour City, then the Dusk Stone from Terminus Cave and everything will be nice and strong come Elite Four.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I am in love with bulky scrafty. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-70080002

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What're you running? HP + SpDef?

Also, rather than Rapid Spin, if you can find someone who fits the theme who can use it (Mandibuzz is amazing), Defog does it better, since it also removes screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

HP, Attack.

I was thinking about putting defog on my archaeops, or whatever I may replace archaeops with. But defog also removes stat boosts, right? Right now I'm kind of a fan of just setting up the trick room and stealing their stat boosts with an iron ball ditto that outspeeds them unerringly. Swept 2/3rds of a team with that in one of my last few games.

In related news, I am growing convinced that Iron Ball Trick Room Ditto is the best counter to dragons I have ever seen.

• Locked thread