Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

precision posted:

Just reading about that suicide attempt scene made me squeamish and I am not a squeamish person.

I mean just thinking about it is making me all :gonk:

It was absolutely horrific, both visually and aurally. She just. Kept. Chewing. :gonk:

It was just marvelous. Stabbed-in-the-Babby calibre television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry, I'm not watching Catherine Duke do that. I got sick to my stomach just thinking about it, no chance in hell.

On the other hand, I have been Secret Santa gifted the first season of Arrow, so maybe I should be catching up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Sorry, I'm not watching Catherine Duke do that. I got sick to my stomach just thinking about it, no chance in hell.

On the other hand, I have been Secret Santa gifted the first season of Arrow, so maybe I should be catching up.

Secret Santa is a smart person.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Well now I'm intrigued. Not going to look it up because I'll decide at some point to just watch Scandal, but in terms of "ugh I can't watch" how does this chewing suicide thing compare to:

a) Fringe's mouth-anemones
b) The documentary entitled "Earthlings"
c) Grimm's eye-worms
d) Hannibal's still-alive shroom-gardens
e) The Secret Life of the American Teenager's existence as a five season long TV show (I didn't get to the end, I just couldn't do it, not even for science)

In fact I welcome a morbid turn of discussion. What's the worst thing, either with or without context required, you have ever seen on a screen? I'm sure my little list above isn't anywhere near The Worst, it's just what I could think of off the top of my head that I thought could be considered kinda gross or upsetting in some way.

Fingers crossed that Scandal can at least top these five. "e" will be a stretch, though.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Watching Scandal is like pulling teeth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Couple of items from AV Club:

YA BOY Kurt Sutter is making a medieval drama for FX.

And scared old people who long for the comfort of yesteryear as well as non-threatening comedy actors that remind them of their grandsons rejoice as CBS commissions Matthew Perry to remake The Odd Couple.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The suicide attempt was bad, but the face licking cold open scene was just woooooorse.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Cactus posted:

In fact I welcome a morbid turn of discussion. What's the worst thing, either with or without context required, you have ever seen on a screen? I'm sure my little list above isn't anywhere near The Worst, it's just what I could think of off the top of my head that I thought could be considered kinda gross or upsetting in some way.

Shroom garden on Hannibal was horrific, but the surgery scene? I started yelling out "gently caress YOU gently caress YOU I WON'T DO IT."

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

EL BROMANCE posted:

The suicide attempt was bad, but the face licking cold open scene was just woooooorse.

I can't really hear about disturbing eating and people without thinking of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaRY_xtUzCo

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I would unironically watch this if it was a real show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qh3x39WV4I

cool kids inc. posted:

I can't really hear about disturbing eating and people without thinking of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaRY_xtUzCo

It's been said before but Supernatural is probably one of the goriest shows on TV, network television or no. :barf:

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's been said before but Supernatural is probably one of the goriest shows on TV, network television or no. :barf:

My favorites are the table saw through the chest and the food processor to the hand. I seem to recall the car accident in a non moving car as being pretty spectacularly gory, too.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Today I learned that identical twins have psychically-linked vaginas. Thanks The Returned!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Never stop posting, Joe.

Irish Joe posted:

Today I learned that identical twins have psychically-linked vaginas. Thanks The Returned!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you're a fan of New Girl, post-Super Bowl programming, ridiculous guest casting, or the song Raspberry Beret, it would behoove you to click here.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

It would also behoove you to click there if you're a fan of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, slightly less ridiculous guest casting, and incredibly mediocre movies.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
And if you're not a fan of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, go watch it and fix that problem.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

DaveWoo posted:

It would also behoove you to click there if you're a fan of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, slightly less ridiculous guest casting, and incredibly mediocre movies.

Brooklyn 9-9 only gets Adam Sandler :(
Unfair tradeoff I say!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DaveWoo posted:

I would say "incredibly mediocre actors" and "aggressively terrible movies."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Adam Sandler is not content to merely exist as a cog in the machine of Evil; to simply "be" bad. He strives to constantly push the boundaries of "how bad can it be?"

It's like I'm looking at this bottle of hot sauce, and I'm thinking... "How hot could it be?"

I'm really interested to see how he follows up Jack and Jill because I honestly can't imagine anything worse existing in our current media landscape.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Postal Parcel posted:

Brooklyn 9-9 only gets Adam Sandler :(
Unfair tradeoff I say!

If they "kill" Sandler on the show, show redeemed.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Is there a Sleepy Hollow thread?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

omg chael crash posted:

Is there a Sleepy Hollow thread?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570589

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

precision posted:

Adam Sandler is not content to merely exist as a cog in the machine of Evil; to simply "be" bad. He strives to constantly push the boundaries of "how bad can it be?"

It's like I'm looking at this bottle of hot sauce, and I'm thinking... "How hot could it be?"

I'm really interested to see how he follows up Jack and Jill because I honestly can't imagine anything worse existing in our current media landscape.

That's My Boy and Grown Ups 2 both came out after Jack and Jill. I don't know about Grown Ups 2, but That's My Boy is one of the more repulsive movies released in recent memory.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Clearly neither of you have seen Movie 43. Not that I recommend wasting your time like that. You'd be better-served punching yourself in the face for two hours, or watching a Dads marathon.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

If I could get a huge paycheck and a vacation for me and my friends in exchange for some lazy no-effort jokes and product placement I'm not ashamed to say that I would be all over that.

Maybe if more people actually saw Funny People he would have a reason to give a poo poo. It's like how people complain about Will Ferrel always playing a manic manchild but when he stars in something like Stranger than Fiction it under-performs.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Maybe if more people actually saw the first half of Funny People he would have a reason to give a poo poo.

Fixed that for you. That movie suffers from a severe case of Judd Apatow 45-minutes-too-longism.

Everyone keeps telling me to watch B99 but I haven't started it yet. Is Sandler playing the natural role of Sandbergs father?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The Nastier Nate posted:

Everyone keeps telling me to watch B99 but I haven't started it yet. Is Sandler playing the natural role of Sandbergs father?

He will be playing "himself." I'm still guessing he's the chief's gay lover, though.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Irish Joe posted:

I'm still guessing he's the chief's gay lover, though.

Ugh. I really hope that guess doesn't turn out to be true, although one way or another I should probably trust the showrunners. They've basically made no missteps so far.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well, I said in the SHIELD thread that after everyone's effusive recommendations I'd set some time aside and give Arrow a try. I fully admit that when I saw the previews for it I basically dismissed it as something not for me, but with SHIELD proving to be aggressively mediocre my thinking was "well, it probably can't be any worse."

Three episodes in, it's actually pretty good so far. Lesson learned, books and covers, etc. If SHIELD is outbudgeting this show then someone ought to be ashamed because it looks and feels much less chintzy...the fight choreography's better in general (not every action scene's a bonafide winner but nothing that Ming Na, SHIELD's designated rear end-kicker, has gotten to do so far really compares) and even the set design feels less low-budget.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
If you like Arrow's first few episodes you are in for a treat as the show goes along; it continues to improve. I'd also recommend Nikita for another CW show that is a lot of kicking rear end fun if you haven't watched it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Emilia Clarke is Sarah Connor.

So, uhm, yeah.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kai Tave posted:

If SHIELD is outbudgeting this show

It airs on the CW. The premiere of SHIELD has a legitimate chance of having a higher budget than the entire first season of Arrow.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That was more rhetorical than anything. Yeah, I know CW isn't exactly bursting with money but the way SHIELD looks makes me wonder exactly how much cash Disney/ABC/Marvel is really throwing at it because drat. I'd say actor salaries may be a big part of it, and to be fair nothing in the first few episodes of Arrow have had things like flying big-rigs or rewindable holograms, but come on.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

quote:

Daenerys Targaryen in that massive HBO series, and is probably the most sympathetic of all vying to rule. She started as a shy sister of an annoying king brother, but has demonstrated the mettle to capably play one of the screen’s most formidable heroines as originated by Linda Hamilton in James Cameron’s first two films in the series.

Holy poo poo.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
First Cersei was Sarah Connor and now Dany is.

Mayhaps Arya will be next.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Joramun posted:

First Cersei was Sarah Connor and now Dany is.

Mayhaps Arya will be next.

If Maisie Williams ends up playing Sarah Connor one day then I will give the movie guys all of my drat money :allears:

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Warren Zevon's version is the superior version of Raspberry Beret. :colbert:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Warren Zevon's version is the superior version of Raspberry Beret. :colbert:

Hindu Love Gods forever!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AndyP posted:

That's My Boy and Grown Ups 2 both came out after Jack and Jill. I don't know about Grown Ups 2, but That's My Boy is one of the more repulsive movies released in recent memory.

That's the one where he's a national celebrity for getting his teacher pregnant, and Andy Samberg's fiancee is sleeping with her own brother.

For the record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

So a while back I asked about shows similar to Chuck, with a blend of comedy + other genre that were fun, lighthearted, and didn't take themselves too seriously.
I was recommended Warehouse 13
I'm two episodes in.
Either that was a very successful troll or maybe the show gets astronomically better, but it's a pretty bad show imo. It's not really funny at all -- what jokes there are, are delivered horribly. The writing is just really poor all around. So does the show get a lot better or was it all a joke at my expense? Or maybe my tastes are just different from those that recommended it.

On the bright side, I'm watching Moonlighting and it's pretty close to what I was asking for.

• Locked thread