Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
You can also use namebench to find the fastest server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

NOTinuyasha posted:

code:
sudo mkdir /etc/resolver
sudo echo -e "nameserver 1.2.3.4\nnameserver 4.3.2.1" > /etc/resolver/workdomain.com
Will configure workdomain.com and all subdomains to get resolved using those specific DNS servers.

Oh man, that would be perfect if there weren't external subdomains that need to work when I'm out of the office :(

I'll go with Network Locations for the time being, thanks for the advice everyone!

Now is there a quick way to switch them?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ashex posted:

Now is there a quick way to switch them?
The Apple menu

I think there's other ways with other apps, and automagically switching ones based on network.

Herr Shitlord
May 2, 2008

I feel so much butter!

Voodoo Cafe posted:

It would, but how often do you really need to force your Mac to power off? If you leave the system running, and don't explicitly tell it to power off, you shouldn't need the power button at all. Also, considering the keyboard is already fried, I don't really see a problem with disconnecting it while the system is under power in standby mode, to avoid having to find a way to power it back on after disconnecting the ribbon cable. I've definitely done it before, but maybe i'm just a sketchy tech. :science:

Thanks for the reply! The computer I'm using is an early 2011 MBP. I wouldn't be opposed to disconnecting the keyboard if that's what it came down to, but wouldn't that void my warranty? Right now I'm currently covered under applecare with the intent to get my computer fixed by the end of the month, and while I'm almost positive applecare won't cover it I don't know if that would disqualify me from further repairs or what.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Saint Seafoam posted:

Thanks for the reply! The computer I'm using is an early 2011 MBP. I wouldn't be opposed to disconnecting the keyboard if that's what it came down to, but wouldn't that void my warranty? Right now I'm currently covered under applecare with the intent to get my computer fixed by the end of the month, and while I'm almost positive applecare won't cover it I don't know if that would disqualify me from further repairs or what.

If you reconnected it before you had it serviced, nobody would know the difference. (E: Now I'm being a sketchy tech)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My friend just inherited another friend's old MacBook. It works fine, other than some cosmetic things. I put a new admin user on there for her, and then deleted the old accounts. She's all up to date, except for iPhoto. I try to update that, and it asks for the password for her friend's AppleID. Is there a way to assign this app to her own AppleID so she can update it?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Did you log the old account off the App Store and put in her new ID? You also might have wanted to deauthorize the machine in iTunes before you deleted the accounts..

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
The copy of iPhoto on the computer has a receipt for the old account inside. You'll need to delete the app, then make sure you're signed into the App Store as the right account and redownload it.

This might require a purchase if the app has not been bought or adopted by the new account.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 28, 2019

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

GregNorc posted:

What's a good IRC client for OSX?

Textual. It's $5.00 on the app store and worth every penny.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

GregNorc posted:

What's a good IRC client for OSX?

Textual if you don't need DCC support. LimeChat if you do.

Or you can do what I do, which is run a Windows 7 VM in Parallels basically for the sole purpose of using mIRC (and occasional random other Windows app).

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

GokieKS posted:

Textual if you don't need DCC support. LimeChat if you do.
Is LimeChat ad supported?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

iostream.h posted:

Is LimeChat ad supported?

Nope. It's donation ware.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Chatzilla works great for me and you might want to give it a shot if you have Firefox installed. I know I'm in a weird minority of Mac users who primarily use Firefox though.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Hey, my sister got an Apple laptop that's this year's model. She's going to be using it when she starts college next year. My dad suggested I should get her Parallel (http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/) so she can run whatever Windows games on her Mac. I'm not familiar with anything Mac, I'm not familiar with my sister's computer habits, and I don't know if I should spend the $80 to get her that.

Should I spend my money on something else? What are some cool accessories or software for Mac that I could get for her? I'm open to any general recommendations. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's no sense in buying Parallels now. She should only use it if her college/program requires her to use Windows software that no Mac counterpart exists for (see: engineering majors, and even then you'd usually just set up a dual-boot environment). Also Parallels does an annual release, so if she needs it in a year, buy the new version (presumably Parallels 10) in a year. If it's just for games, I guess see if the games have an OS X version first. You'd be surprised how many are on Steam as cross-platform titles.

edit: As far as gifts for her, maybe a Bluetooth mouse? Maybe a sleeve? Monoprice makes very inexpensive sleeves that are practically identical to the InCase offerings, though only available in black so not as cute as the more expensive options. It'll keep the laptop from getting too banged up in a bag full of notebooks and textbooks.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 14, 2013

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Newegg seems to be just sitting on a ton of copies of Parallels 8, and so often has it for really cheap (especially if you're willing to do mail-in rebates). It's no longer eligible to be upgraded to Parallels 9 for free, but if you do happen to need some particular Windows application (Office 2013, which is leagues ahead of Office 2011 for Mac, would be one common use), it's a pretty good and cheap option for running a W7 VM.

Note: I have not run Parallels 8 under Mavericks. A quick search indicates it works fine though.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Mad Pino Rage posted:

Hey, my sister got an Apple laptop that's this year's model. She's going to be using it when she starts college next year. My dad suggested I should get her Parallel (http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/) so she can run whatever Windows games on her Mac. I'm not familiar with anything Mac, I'm not familiar with my sister's computer habits, and I don't know if I should spend the $80 to get her that.

Should I spend my money on something else? What are some cool accessories or software for Mac that I could get for her? I'm open to any general recommendations. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Get her a Time Capsule or an external hard disk for running Time Machine backups. Because she will likely lose or break her computer and be sad when all her data is gone, and automagic backups will save your bacon.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A boring but really handy accessory around that price is a second charger - it's nice to have one that lives at home by the couch or on the desk, and another that lives in the bag with the laptop.

Alternatively: https://www.code42.com/store/#/gift / https://secure.backblaze.com/gift.htm

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chimz posted:

Get her a Time Capsule or an external hard disk for running Time Machine backups. Because she will likely lose or break her computer and be sad when all her data is gone, and automagic backups will save your bacon.
Or maybe a year of CrashPlan/Carbonite/Mozy/your backup service of choice. It's often difficult to remember to plug in an external drive, but an online backup service will save everything automatically and make files accessible from anywhere a la Google Drive. Restoring from an online backup is obviously slower than a local backup, so it can be a nice secondary option in addition to an external drive.

edit: I guess Caged edited in the same suggestion I had!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

chimz posted:

Alternatively if she's not going to be dealing with huge files give her some cloud space for her files. Or do what the parrot says.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

edit: I guess Caged edited in the same suggestion I had!

Yeah, snuck it in when I saw the suggestion for a Time Capsule. I'm with you that external drives either won't get plugged in or will be wiped and used to store other poo poo on. And a Time Capsule might not be an option in a college dorm (I'm assuming that's where she'd be for the first year). Online backup is the set-and-forget system that everyone should have.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Is there any way to have my trackpad keep inverted scrolling but my wireless mouse do normal scrolling?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Is there any way to have my trackpad keep inverted scrolling but my wireless mouse do normal scrolling?

Better Touch Tool can handle that.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
What is everyone's favorite writing software for Mac? If it matters, I have a Retina screen Pro and the price of "free" is preferable. TextEdit just doesn't cut it for me, but I find OpenOffice's design too similar to Windows Office. So I want something with at least a few more features than TextEdit but with a nice looking UI, I guess.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Did you just buy the machine? If so I think you have Pages for free on the App Store waiting for you to try out.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I can confirm this as I just picked up an rMBP 13-inch at the Fruit Stand; when you do the initial setup of App Store it practically begs you to download the latest Pages, Keynote, Numbers, and iPhoto. Not a bad deal at all for free.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

timeandtide posted:

What is everyone's favorite writing software for Mac? If it matters, I have a Retina screen Pro and the price of "free" is preferable. TextEdit just doesn't cut it for me, but I find OpenOffice's design too similar to Windows Office. So I want something with at least a few more features than TextEdit but with a nice looking UI, I guess.

Sublime Text is $70 (and worth it, especially if you want something that runs on both OS X and Windows), but it has an unlimited time evaluation mode...

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 28, 2019

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

timeandtide posted:

iA Writer is pretty well regarded and $9.99, though I haven't personally used it. I'm not sure on features since it's primarily designed for distraction-free writing. The latest version of Pages is free, though it may be too Office-like.

I just use Vim for everything.

jony neuemonic fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 15, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

timeandtide posted:

If you're doing story/novel writing I love Scrivener, it's got a great set of features for plot and research maintenance as well as construction. Not free but well worth the money.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

timeandtide posted:

vim + latex

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh OS X. I attach an NTFS external drive to 10.9. I get asked if I want to use the drive for time machine when its obvious OS X can't write to it.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh OS X. I attach an NTFS external drive to 10.9. I get asked if I want to use the drive for time machine when its obvious OS X can't write to it.
"Let me just erase that data for you. There we are, all backed up!"

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Malcolm XML posted:

vim + latex

This is the correct answer. It's free and ports with your between o/s pretty darn easily.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I just use InCopy… but maybe that's a bit overkill for most kinds of work. :D

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The correct answer was just pull down your free copy of Pages. It's missing a few features compared to older versions because it's a ground-up rewrite but it should get those back within a few months like Final Cut did.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

carry on then posted:

The correct answer was just pull down your free copy of Pages. It's missing a few features compared to older versions because it's a ground-up rewrite but it should get those back within a few months like Final Cut did.

But I don't get to feel all smug about using Pages.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Scrivener is the smuggest editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

crazysim posted:

Scrivener is the smuggest editor.
I thought iA Writer was considered smuggest.