Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
He made a deal with Tim Curry on the set of Legend.

edit. Top of the page, here's a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKduCZbW4t4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Megazver posted:

So it's a training simulation, right? Throw in some random rear end in a top hat, have him die and die and die until he learns how to not die, then he wakes up and it's time to send him into the killing fields for real. And Blunt is the simulation's version of Clippy.

Spoilers for the book:
he's actually dying for real every time. It's an ability the invading aliens have which is why the humans are losing the war. The main character manages to kill one of the Groundhog Day aliens while in direct contact with it and the ability rubs off on him

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Megazver posted:

So it's a training simulation, right? Throw in some random rear end in a top hat, have him die and die and die until he learns how to not die, then he wakes up and it's time to send him into the killing fields for real. And Blunt is the simulation's version of Clippy.

In the novel, the hero was a fresh-faced recruit in the military (pretty much all the surviving armies were merged into one after the invasion by the Mimics started), who gets caught in a timeloop after dying immediately in his first battle. The loop sends him 30 hours before his death, and it turns out he'd hijacked a loop that the Mimics had been using which had allowed them to re-do losing battles over and over until they won. After failed attempts to exit the loop via desertion and then suicide, Kiriya ends up becoming a grizzled, supremely skilled warrior by amassing extraordinary amounts of combat experience by fighting the same battle over and over and over again.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Vagabundo posted:

In the novel, the hero was a fresh-faced recruit in the military (pretty much all the surviving armies were merged into one after the invasion by the Mimics started), who gets caught in a timeloop after dying immediately in his first battle. The loop sends him 30 hours before his death, and it turns out he'd hijacked a loop that the Mimics had been using which had allowed them to re-do losing battles over and over until they won. After failed attempts to exit the loop via desertion and then suicide, Kiriya ends up becoming a grizzled, supremely skilled warrior by amassing extraordinary amounts of combat experience by fighting the same battle over and over and over again.

So it literally groundhog day with power armor, sign me up.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gonna be mildly bummed if Stephen Tobolowsky doesn't have a cameo role in EOT.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I hate that color grade so much. The rest of the movie looks interesting, but the magenta skin and cyan everything else is so unappealing to look at.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

I mean, it's not like Tom Cruise ages like a normal human being either. That fucker finally looks like he's in his thirties, and it only took 50 years to get there.

Have you seen Ralph Macchio recently? There's somebody who has basically stopped aging and he doesn't have Cruise's massive wealth as an excuse.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
:stare:

I had high expectations, but Edge of Tomorrow looks really good. Even though we just got a Groundhog Day esque movie with Source Code, this look drat good. I'm a huge fan of time travel movies and this looks like it will satisfy that itch.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

CaptainHollywood posted:

Even though we just got a Groundhog Day esque movie with Source Code,

Source Code was two and a half years ago?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

coffeetable posted:

Source Code was two and a half years ago?

Recent enough for a movie to have a similar premise. Not "identical" but similar.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Yes, pretty much looks like Source Code 2: Video Game Edition

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."
When did SciFi-action become the exclusive property of "video games"? Not trying to pick on anyone in particular, but it's a refrain I keep seeing in response to this trailer.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Le Woad posted:

When did SciFi-action become the exclusive property of "video games"? Not trying to pick on anyone in particular, but it's a refrain I keep seeing in response to this trailer.

It's a movie where the protagonist abuses the load previous save function.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Exo-suit + guns + war = video game in people's minds. Makes sense :shrug:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This is really, really working for me. A fantastically cut trailer, that's for loving sure.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I imagine that if Tom Cruise ever does die, he will look perfectly normal and then his body will basically reenact what happened to the bad guy in The Last Crusade where he just turns to loving dust.

That said, that movie looks loving awesome. I liked the hell out of Oblivion so looking forward to another Scifi movie with him in it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I am so glad people still give Tom Cruise chances to run like his loving pants are on fire.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ghosthotel posted:

Spoilers for the book:
he's actually dying for real every time. It's an ability the invading aliens have which is why the humans are losing the war. The main character manages to kill one of the Groundhog Day aliens while in direct contact with it and the ability rubs off on him

So does each alien have the power or is it one time loop that the aliens en masse tap into? It doesn't make much sense if each one is in its own time loop.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lobok posted:

So does each alien have the power or is it one time loop that the aliens en masse tap into? It doesn't make much sense if each one is in its own time loop.

Think Ender's Game queens.

edit: also if you liked Mr. and Mrs. Smith and The Bourne Identity I'm pretty sure you'll like this. Those movies had their detractors but I thought they were fun as hell and so is this. They're still filming the backend and undergoing monumental VFX work so I haven't seen the finished product but I enjoyed the hell out of it. I am positive I'll see some people angry about changes from the book but when you change a young asian soldier into a middle-aged American military marketing strategist some other things will inevitably have to change.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 12, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lobok posted:

In the novel, Vlataski explains to Kiriya that there's always one Mimic in each platoon or battalion that is in the time loop that is subtly different. As long as there's that one Mimic that is locked into the time loop, then the aliens can basically get infinite do-overs until they get it right. There's nothing that makes them stand out, but there's something "off" about that one particular Mimic. At the start of the novel, Kiriya manages to kill that one alien which results in him taking over the time loop before eating a bullet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Reading those spoilers, Live Die Repeat would have made a much more accurate and interesting title than Edge of Tomorrow which tells absolutely nothing about the movie :jerkbag:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Man, I really like that moody song but apparently it's new and unreleased.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Reading those spoilers, Live Die Repeat would have made a much more accurate and interesting title than Edge of Tomorrow which tells absolutely nothing about the movie :jerkbag:

I could be wrong, but I don't think the studio wanted "Die" or "Kill" in the title. The movie is PG 13 right?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Bootleg Interstellar trailer, probably won't be up for long;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkhWxpqi5FA

Certainly sets the tone.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

twoot posted:

Bootleg Interstellar trailer, probably won't be up for long;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkhWxpqi5FA

Certainly sets the tone.

That feels very different from all of his other films (his teasers, at least). Not sure how to feel about it, except to say that Nolan waxing nostalgic about the space race makes me really hot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man, if you like space then that trailer is all you need. That was a gorgeous last shot.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Interesting teaser. Have no idea what the movie about other than it involves space. :iiam:

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Bootleg version is dead, but the official one is up now;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyc6RJEEe0U

I love it. Gives me chills.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

PaganGoatPants posted:

Interesting teaser. Have no idea what the movie about other than it involves space. :iiam:

Also there are cornfields and Matthew McConaughey drives a truck while looking sad

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Great teaser, but funny that it skips from the X-1 to Gemini 6. What happened to Sputnik or Vostok 1, eh?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
^^ :911:

twoot posted:

Bootleg version is dead, but the official one is up now;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyc6RJEEe0U

I love it. Gives me chills.

Elon Musk, the movie

alternatively

"If You Build It, They Will Boldly Go."

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

That was more minimal than I was hoping/expecting. drat, McConaughey is just on a loving roll.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw part of that yesterday before The Hobbit, but I was a few minutes late so I came in like halfway through that teaser.

Christopher Nolan and McConaughey doing a space exploration movie? Sign me the gently caress up!

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Looking up the movie on imdb, it says:
"First film since 'Following' (1998) of director Christopher Nolan not to be filmed by Wally Pfister. Instead, Pfister went on to do his directorial debut with Transcendence (2014). Nolan hired Let the Right One In (2008)/Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)'s director of photography, Hoyte Van Hoytema, to helm the cinematography for Interstellar."

This makes me even more excited. Pfister's work on Nolan's films is generally great, but LtROI and TTSS are simply beautiful.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh gently caress yes! Let The Right One In is one of the most visually striking films of the last decade. This should be awesome!

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I can't read Matthew McConaughey without thinking Matthew Mahogany.

Mark Kermode you've poisoned me :argh:

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Sounds interesting. So is the novel actually good?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Sounds interesting. So is the novel actually good?

It's a fairly unchallenging, light read. It's not terrible, but it's hardly a masterpiece either.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CaptainHollywood posted:

That was more minimal than I was hoping/expecting.

Yeah it was an ACTUAL teaser. The term "teaser" seems to get misused now-a-days. Most things that are labeled teasers now are full blown trailers that may leave a bit of the story out or whatever, but are still full trailers. This was definitely a teaser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Think the real difference is whether filming has even really started yet.

• Locked thread