Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Anyone else running 4.4 and use Tasker and/or Root Call Blocker?

since 4.4 update they both take at least 1m-1m30s to load after boot up.

I've disable either one and they still load slowly.

I've tried PA 4.4, HTC Sense 4.4 and both are the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why are you rebooting your phone often enough that it matters?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Welp, I'm now using CM11 nightlies on my Note 2. I don't have the first clue what I did to my phone but I managed to lose root under Carbon's 4.3 nightlies, and could not restore it with CF Autoroot. That was as much as I felt like trying, so I just dove into CM11.

As a note, on the Sprint Note 2, you may lose your mobile connection entirely on first installation. There's a hotfix out for this that is, of course, buried yards deep in the XDA thread, but I'll provide the link here to potentially save some heartache.

http://www.comfx.com/xda/note2_fixblankradio.zip

Flash it in the recovery of your choice to restore your mobile connection.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I just installed my first customer kernel and feel like a boss.

On my Note 2 I'm using Android HD Revolution, and I just flashed the Perseus Alpha kernel. Why didn't I do this ages ago? My benchmark on Antutu went from 20608 to 22600. Not that that means much but my phone is definitely snappier now. I've read the battery life is better but that remains to be seen.

Also using Twilight now, which I definitely recommend, and just installed Greenify, which should help. Anyone else using that?

I finally got Viper working and now I'm going to tinker with that.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Edit: Nevermind.

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 15, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Anyone running CM11 on a GSM Galaxy Nexus?

Usable?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Anyone running CM11 on a GSM Galaxy Nexus?

Usable?
I've heard that it's better than usable but only from Verizon users. I wish someone would take the plunge on both that and the N5 and give a detailed trip report. There's got to be some broken poo poo, right?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I'm running CM11 on my N5, and I'm pretty pleased with it. No major issues. The battery is a bit worse, but I still get 20+ hours out of it.

The only real issue was that on stock, as soon as I got in my car and bluetooth connected, google music would start playing. I had to disable apollo and make a tasker profile to do that on CM11. Other than that I'm happy.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Tunga posted:

Why are you rebooting your phone often enough that it matters?

I turn my phone off at night.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

I turn my phone off at night.
I know I'm going to regret asking this but why?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Took the plunge and flashed CM10.2 on my SprintGS3. First, anyone on the fence about getting off of touchwiz, my god do it now while you have the chance.

Question for the thread I am having the, apparently common, wifi issue in which the phone will not automatically connect (or manually connect for that matter) to a new known wifi network unless I enable airplane mode and then disable it, resetting the radio state. Is there a fix for this beyond the hackney-sounding tasker profile?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I've heard that it's better than usable but only from Verizon users. I wish someone would take the plunge on both that and the N5 and give a detailed trip report. There's got to be some broken poo poo, right?

I've been using it since yesterday evening. Haven't found anything broken yet.

If I remember or someone pings me about it, I'll write more about it in a week.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

LastInLine posted:

I know I'm going to regret asking this but why?

I don't want the NSA listening in on my sleep talking.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Question for the thread I am having the, apparently common, wifi issue in which the phone will not automatically connect (or manually connect for that matter) to a new known wifi network unless I enable airplane mode and then disable it, resetting the radio state. Is there a fix for this beyond the hackney-sounding tasker profile?

I had this issue on my GS4 with 10.2 nightlies and the M1 release, then I stopped flashing until 10.2 proper came out, and I haven't had the problem since, so at least on the GS4 it was fixed somewhere in between M1 and release. Not sure how much that'll help you, but presumably there's some change that went in to the jf general or jfltetmo trees that maybe should have been applied more widely.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

LastInLine posted:

I'm running CM11 on my N5 and I've been having problems switching between HSPA+ and LTE. Whenever it switches I completely lose connection for between 15 seconds and 5 minutes, and can't even make emergency calls in that time. I've just turned off LTE for now, but it's seriously making me consider going back to stock.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Konjuro posted:

I'm running CM11 on my N5 and I've been having problems switching between HSPA+ and LTE. Whenever it switches I completely lose connection for between 15 seconds and 5 minutes, and can't even make emergency calls in that time. I've just turned off LTE for now, but it's seriously making me consider going back to stock.
I went to CM11 on the N5 last night. Everything seems to work but I'm in Cincinnati where T-Mobile LTE will never happen so that's not an issue to me.

I see why "everything seems to work" though as there are very few CM features added so far. I'll stick with it until there's a reason not to as it's worth it just to have the screen timeout QSP tile for now.

edit: I think I found a flaw in the nightly for the 16th: I can't get /system to become writeable no matter what I do. Every file browser, ADB, Terminal, and Titanium all fail. :(

edit 2: gently caress it I just rolled back to stock. Hardly any of the features I wanted are in CM11 yet and while nothing was broken, there certainly was a lot of weirdness. I tried flashing back to the 15th nightly that I know worked fine when I set up the phone but it wouldn't let me access /system either. The Browser sync adapter just wouldn't work at all. Sometimes system apps would hang but not FC then suddenly become responsive again. It also seemed like the battery life took a hit but I had an unusual day so I can't be sure.

I'll give it another month but right now I'll just curse not having Apollo and a screen timeout tile.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 17, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If you want to try something else for the N5, try Cataclysm. It's mostly stock but adds a bunch of useful things like built-in call blocking, auto-hide task bar/soft keys and a ton of tiles. No problems with radios, either.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

grack posted:

If you want to try something else for the N5, try Cataclysm. It's mostly stock but adds a bunch of useful things like built-in call blocking, auto-hide task bar/soft keys and a ton of tiles. No problems with radios, either.
I'm good for now. I might gently caress around with Xposed Framework but for some reason no one seems to want to add the QSP tiles I want. Might be worth it for expanded notifications alone to be honest.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Konjuro posted:

I'm running CM11 on my N5 and I've been having problems switching between HSPA+ and LTE.

I have to switch between HSPA+ and LTE constantly, because our LTE roll out isn't finished, and half the time the tower will turn on but only provide 0.05 mbps. I haven't had any problems switching... but the quick setting for it is definitely broken. I have to long press to go into settings to get it to switch.

LastInLine posted:

I see why "everything seems to work" though as there are very few CM features added so far. I'll stick with it until there's a reason not to as it's worth it just to have the screen timeout QSP tile for now.

edit: I think I found a flaw in the nightly for the 16th: I can't get /system to become writeable no matter what I do. Every file browser, ADB, Terminal, and Titanium all fail. :(

I'm on the 12/16 build, and can write to /system just fine. Root Browser swapped to r/w instantly after asking for root access. I'm not sure what's going on there. Which version of GApps did you use? I'm using the Google Stock Apps packages dated 12/15 from PA. I had some weirdness last night when I realized that I didn't have the new Google Text to Speech installed. I couldn't install it from the Play Store and it was supposed to be in PA GApps but didn't work. After wiping system, reflashing 12/16 and the latest PA GApps everything seemed to work again.

I've definitely noticed the battery taking a hit on my first few days of CM11, but it seems to have stabilized now. I'll have a better idea of what the battery is like after a few more days and especially over Christmas.

Other than that, I haven't had a single crash, app weirdness, or force close that wasn't already happening on stock.

What CM features are you missing? All the features I use seem to be present and accounted for, though the phone blacklist was a bit complicated to access with the new dialer.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I tried CM11 on my Galaxy Nexus but I'm kind of over the whole "Cyanogen as their own OS" thing they're doing. It is cool but just not for me.

I switched to Shiny and have been having a good go with it - some FC of apps but I think that is because I've enabled ART. Great battery life too.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Gyshall posted:

I tried CM11 on my Galaxy Nexus but I'm kind of over the whole "Cyanogen as their own OS" thing they're doing.

What?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Clean flash CM11, I don't get a "Google Account" login right away, I get a Cyanogenmod login, Apollo/Trebuchet/etc seem like unnecessary replacements for already established apps, and so on.

I guess what I'm saying is I used to install CM as a "Android With Tweaks and customization" and now it is less like that, which is cool, just not something I'm looking for on my phone anymore.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Gyshall posted:

Clean flash CM11, I don't get a "Google Account" login right away, I get a Cyanogenmod login, Apollo/Trebuchet/etc seem like unnecessary replacements for already established apps, and so on.

I guess what I'm saying is I used to install CM as a "Android With Tweaks and customization" and now it is less like that, which is cool, just not something I'm looking for on my phone anymore.

You can skip the CM login, you can disable Apollo, and you can use whatever launcher you want.

Everything you're talking about is completely optional.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nimper posted:

You can skip the CM login, you can disable Apollo, and you can use whatever launcher you want.

CM is starting to experience feature creep, which is common for projects like this. Especially as it attempts to become a profitable revenue stream for the new Cyanogen Corp (or whatever they call themselves). Reading up on the Focal debacle is quite interesting and gives an indication of the direction CM is going.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

nimper posted:

Oh I know, using CM itself is optional as well. Since I bought my OG Moto Droid however long ago, I've been using CM, but this weekend I decided to wipe my Galaxy Nexus and install CM11 clean, and I was just suprised to see the CM login page on first install.

It isn't like I'm suprised by this, I'd just rather not have to freeze four or five apps on a clean install to get the "clean" experience I'm looking for. That's the nice thing about Android, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Oh I know, using CM itself is optional as well. Since I bought my OG Moto Droid however long ago, I've been using CM, but this weekend I decided to wipe my Galaxy Nexus and install CM11 clean, and I was just suprised to see the CM login page on first install.

It isn't like I'm suprised by this, I'd just rather not have to freeze four or five apps on a clean install to get the "clean" experience I'm looking for. That's the nice thing about Android, though.
The reason they have to offer Apollo and Trebuchet is because they can't expect there to be Google apps on the device nor can they expect the Play Store to be there either. Also the reason they need a CM account for device location and wipe.

If you're looking for a clean experience then adding GApps isn't clean from the perspective CM legally has to take.

Frozen-Solid posted:

I'm on the 12/16 build, and can write to /system just fine. Root Browser swapped to r/w instantly after asking for root access. I'm not sure what's going on there. Which version of GApps did you use? I'm using the Google Stock Apps packages dated 12/15 from PA. I had some weirdness last night when I realized that I didn't have the new Google Text to Speech installed. I couldn't install it from the Play Store and it was supposed to be in PA GApps but didn't work. After wiping system, reflashing 12/16 and the latest PA GApps everything seemed to work again.

I've definitely noticed the battery taking a hit on my first few days of CM11, but it seems to have stabilized now. I'll have a better idea of what the battery is like after a few more days and especially over Christmas.

Other than that, I haven't had a single crash, app weirdness, or force close that wasn't already happening on stock.

What CM features are you missing? All the features I use seem to be present and accounted for, though the phone blacklist was a bit complicated to access with the new dialer.
I was using the PA Modular Mini GApps from the 15th. Of course there were GApps issues but I expect that (missing lib for gesture input on the AOSP keyboard).

What CM features were missing? There are no statusbar mods for signal strength and the battery meter only has a circle without the text. The reboot menu is gone (the option to reboot is there, the option to choose bootloader/recovery/android is not) and the Alarm/Calendar shortcut in the statusbar is missing. I know there were a couple others but I've forgotten now.

One thing I noticed upon switching back to stock is that stock is much faster than CM. It's about the speed difference between the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 5.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

What CM features were missing? There are no statusbar mods for signal strength and the battery meter only has a circle without the text. The reboot menu is gone (the option to reboot is there, the option to choose bootloader/recovery/android is not) and the Alarm/Calendar shortcut in the statusbar is missing. I know there were a couple others but I've forgotten now.

The reboot menu is definitely here (at least on the Nexus 4). They changed it some time during CM 10, though; I think it's in developer options or something like that?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

The reboot menu is definitely here (at least on the Nexus 4). They changed it some time during CM 10, though; I think it's in developer options or something like that?
poo poo you're right, I remember that.

Eh, either way I'll come back to it in a month or so. It never stopped working weirdly for me.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

LastInLine posted:

One thing I noticed upon switching back to stock is that stock is much faster than CM. It's about the speed difference between the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 5.

Battery meter with circle and text is there, turning it on was one of the first things I did after installing CM11. On the newer nightlies there's a checkbox you have to tick to show percentage with any of the battery meters.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

LastInLine posted:

The status bar mods got ported up today, and will show up tomorrow. I never noticed because I never used that feature before.

http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/55714/

As for the rest, I have no idea what you did, but I haven't experienced a single one of those problems. If you're using the mini modular, it doesn't include the official Google keyboard and doesn't make any changes to the AOSP keyboard. Does AOSP keyboard even have the swiping capabilities? Even when I was on CM on the GNex I just installed and used the keyboard from the Play Store. PA's GApps full stock package works perfectly (with the downside of it removing Messaging... I just ended up installing 8sms to get it back).

Aside from my own stupid mistakes when restoring from Titanium, my phone is just as fast and stable as it was on stock. My battery has even started matching what I was used to on stock. I'm writing off any battery issues I had with constantly fiddling with CM11's settings and getting everything setup the way I wanted. The first few days on a ROM or new phone are never good judges of the battery for me.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have an AT&T Galaxy Note that I want to flash back to stock but xda is a nightmare to navigate. I have Odin and all that. I just need the zip file to flash. Anyone have it offhand or a link that makes sense?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I frequently have *that issue* with Google Play Services hammering my phone all day unless I catch it and either restart or turn location services off and back on. CM 10.2.0 stable on a Sprint GS3.

I know I've read about this before, with the common fix being "turn off location access." Is there an actual fix besides disabling a feature I rely on pretty frequently? Or is this hiccup just a fact of life on this phone/ROM combo? Would a total wipe/reflash help at all?

Its not even like the battery is dead in the middle of the day and fucks me over when it happens, but instead of being at around 50-60% when I get home (around 12 hours unplugged typically), its around 20-30% or less. If I don't go straight home, that becomes an issue to a certain point.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Do you still need to reset Google Wallet when changing ROMs if you're not using the secure element? Being a T-Mobile phone I'm locked out of the features that supposedly use that and I have not installed any of the hacks to make it work, so I don't think any of that applies to me but I want to make sure.

If it does matter, is it only when wiping everything or is upgrading in place and then restoring to a backup of the pre-upgrade state safe? i.e. testing CM11 nightlies and reverting to CM10.2 if they're not as far along as I'd hope.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have an AT&T Galaxy Note that I want to flash back to stock but xda is a nightmare to navigate. I have Odin and all that. I just need the zip file to flash. Anyone have it offhand or a link that makes sense?

This was happening to me on my Note 2, so I said gently caress it and flashed to Omnirom 4.4

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is anyone using a 4.3 ROM on a Sprint Galaxy Note 2? I've been using this for a while and now it's pestering me to update to the official 4.3, which I'm obviously disinclined to do or I wouldn't be in this thread. I'd like something with some non-bloated TouchWiz because I like S-Pen.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Gilok posted:

Is anyone using a 4.3 ROM on a Sprint Galaxy Note 2? I've been using this for a while and now it's pestering me to update to the official 4.3, which I'm obviously disinclined to do or I wouldn't be in this thread. I'd like something with some non-bloated TouchWiz because I like S-Pen.

I was running this one:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2090160

I was still on r2, though r3 is out, it seemed like r2 had less issues because of Note3 features being added.

I'm without my note 2 for up to 2 weeks since I shattered the screen last night, so I couldn't tell you if r3 worked better. For now I'm stuck on my old Evo3d

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Recently switched over to a Nexus 5 after 4 years of using iOS. My Nexus 5 has been rooted and I still have a small understanding about the whole thing but I'm slowly learning.

Question: I want to install this, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2532788. it says to install it by flashing it in recovery. What do I do exactly? I understand recovery probably means to install it when my phone is in recovery mode but I'm pretty much lost on what 'flashing' means.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

Recently switched over to a Nexus 5 after 4 years of using iOS. My Nexus 5 has been rooted and I still have a small understanding about the whole thing but I'm slowly learning.

Question: I want to install this, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2532788. it says to install it by flashing it in recovery. What do I do exactly? I understand recovery probably means to install it when my phone is in recovery mode but I'm pretty much lost on what 'flashing' means.
When you rooted you had to flash a custom recovery, either TWRP or CWM. In this case you would boot to the bootloader (power off, power on holding Volume Down). Then use the Volume keys to select Recovery, then Power to choose it. Now you're in recovery.

While you're in here you might want to make a recovery backup just in case flashing random xda files fucks up your phone (it eventually will).

From there choose the the way you want to flash it, either from local storage (having put the zip on your phone prior to starting this) or via ADB sideload. You have ADB installed from when you unlocked the bootloader unless you decided to actively avoid learning by using a toolkit.

After it's done reboot.

I don't know why you want the volume boost though, the Nexus 5 is way too loud as it is.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

LastInLine posted:

When you rooted you had to flash a custom recovery, either TWRP or CWM. In this case you would boot to the bootloader (power off, power on holding Volume Down). Then use the Volume keys to select Recovery, then Power to choose it. Now you're in recovery.

While you're in here you might want to make a recovery backup just in case flashing random xda files fucks up your phone (it eventually will).

From there choose the the way you want to flash it, either from local storage (having put the zip on your phone prior to starting this) or via ADB sideload. You have ADB installed from when you unlocked the bootloader unless you decided to actively avoid learning by using a toolkit.

After it's done reboot.

I don't know why you want the volume boost though, the Nexus 5 is way too loud as it is.

Thanks!

I want to boost the headphone jack, I'm fine with the speaker. I used the same headphones on my iPhone and the volume was perfect but the Nexus 5's volume was just too low compared to the iPhone's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Ugh.

I have a Sprint Galaxy S3 running Cyanogenmod 10.0 and want to upgrade it to 10.2. I try installing cm-10.2.0-d2spr.zip from Clockworkmod and it fails to install because the phone's bootloader is out of date. Searching for an updated bootloader just gives me a bunch of unreadable threads on xda-developers.com. Where can I download an updated bootloader? Does it have to be Sprint-specific or not?