Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Tenebrais posted:

It was BlastYoBoots. He created a specific thread for his own theories, separate from the forum's main speculation thread that dated back to the problem sleuth days. I used to argue with him a lot.

I went back awhile ago to see what the forums have come to, and I found that the main theory threads title still includes "Ide/theory". That injoke comes from late goddamn Problem Sleuth, I don't think there's anyone left that actually gets it but they keep it going anyway.

It's inspirational, really.

Edit: Story time. I started reading MSPA when VGcats linked to it at the tail end of Problem Sleuth. As soon as it ended, I made a forum account and ended up being a regular poster for a couple years (And the first Homestuck cosplayer when I was John for halloween in 2009, but it looks like that thread disappeared in the forum move so I can't prove it anymore. I'm waiting for the video to be used against me someday by some enterprising internet detective.) I only got out when a kind goon bought me an SA account (If you're reading this, I'm still trying to find an opportunity to pay it forward.) I stopped reading when I found out that Hussie was doing that bullshit concurrent update paths thing and had been for days without me even realizing, and I realized that I really didn't give a poo poo about any of the new characters and that the story was collapsing under its own weight and poisonous community.

Eox fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Android Blues posted:

b) John and Rose were destined for each other, man, and if you didn't think so you just didn't have his perspicacious eye for the analysis of narrative data.

So...how did he cope with Rose and Kanaya's date night? Were there tears, or did he just complain that Hussie wasn't doing things right?

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Probably just decided to wait for the last page of Homestuck for them to smooch.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Carrasco posted:

So...how did he cope with Rose and Kanaya's date night? Were there tears, or did he just complain that Hussie wasn't doing things right?

Most likely more mental gymnastics to work it so that it somehow "proves" his theories are still on track.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
There are some really great close-reading skills possessed by the entity known as Blade-Kind Eyewear, and yet like many talents on the internet, they are undisciplined and squandered in puerile nonsense. I used to check out his tumblr occasionally just to see his theories, because he reads like an Umberto Eco gag account.

\/\/\/e:
Hence "squandered in puerile nonsense." BKE is great at picking up on details and patterns in a certain way, but rather than using them to analyze the narrative on an academic or critical level, these things simply get distorted to fit some bizarre formal logic he's either imported from videogames or made up wholesale, like "class system inversion" or "everyone needs to be romantically paired." He's like a character from Foucault's Pendulum except instead of seeing signs of Knights Templar conspiracies everywhere he sees omens that ensure some imaginary teens will kiss.

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 15, 2013

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

There are some really great close-reading skills

I think you mean "mental disabilities."

E: Like, I don't care if you ship or write fanfiction or whatever, fun is subjective, but if you make spreadsheets and elaborate theorems for why two characters are destined to be together then you need to step back and ask what exactly are you loving doing.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 15, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Especially when the comic itself clarifies that exact thing. Then it's extra spergy!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Remember: by word of the Huss, all ships are canon. The implication being that it happened in an offshoot doomed timeline that probably self-destroyed the moment Equius' trembling lips connected with Jade's, but still. It's canon.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Carrasco posted:

Usually when one of his theories or ships gets torpedoes he just smugly says that the comic isn't over yet and that he's still sure things will get back on track. I think in this case though he'd started moving on to John/Roxy anyway.

My least favorite of his theories has to be that Autoresponder = Doc Scratch one though.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

drat. Now I can truly begin to believe: this is a man who had the chops to predict the romantic outcomes of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The problem with BKEW is that he'll pick up on a few decent things, but they're so mixed in with completely insane theories that it's hard to get anything useful out of them. For example, there were three or four story bits that foreshadowed Jake getting his head lopped off. BKEW evolved that into this whole long theory about how Lord English was going to possess the body of Jake English, blah blah blah, based on nothing but that and Weekend at Bernie's.

Or how he took the basic 12 classes and aspects and created this whole Inverted chart thing that still has never been validated by the story, two years later. And he just keeps making it more and more detailed in order to justify it not losing relevance. I think the point that I gave up on trying to read anything he wrote was when he proposed half-inversions.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Yeah, BKEW kind of went overboard with that chart. Especially the whole "Maids create their aspect" deal, which is frankly ridiculous.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

drat. Now I can truly begin to believe: this is a man who had the chops to predict the romantic outcomes of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

To be fair to him, he did predict it well before it became actually apparent in the story, based off of a bunch of small things. Like that conversation with Karkat when John calls Mom pretty or whatever. Its like Bobulus says, the man is right sometimes. Its just that he has a ton of utter loonytoons theories that he twists everything to fit with, that makes you stop taking him seriously.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Here's a simple example: Way back in Act 5.1, when the trolls were first playing Sgrub, there was a little scene where Kanaya cleaned up all the d8s that Vriska was stepping on in her room. It was a nice little character moment, because it illustrated Vriska's views on luck and shortcuts, Kanaya's directness and mothering nature, and the way their friendship worked.

And then, later we found out that Kanaya was Slyph of Space and Slyph meant a sort of 'healer' class. So now, per BKEW, Kanaya is the Healer of Space, and that scene isn't about the relationships between two interesting characters, it's SUPER SUBTLE FORESHADOWING, because Kanaya was cleaning the room, which, by some very reaching redefinitions of things, would be healing that particular space. :bang:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A clock that spins frantically at tremendous and varying speed and sometimes in reverse is right several times a day.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Remember when Aradia stopped Jack Noir after reachibg God Tier? That was apparently her creating more Time for Jack to pass through. We saw with Roxy's power that the God Tier powers are really flexible but somehow I doubt this is the case. Call it an hunch.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Speaking of time, I may have already said this, but I want the Condesce's ultimate fate to be to die of old age.

She's got this running theme of being a poor tactical planner that survives by having all the time in the world for her machinations to bear fruit. Stranded at the wrong end of the galaxy? Take the slow way home. Stuck on a hostile world? Spend hundreds of years brute-forcing the world into the shape you want. Make a deal with the devil that gets you enslaved, but extends your lifespan from near-infinite to actually infinite. Since she has so much life, she's constantly burning the candle at both ends.

So it would be karmic justice for her biggest resource to finally run out. For Lord English to be defeated so that her normal lifespan is restored. For her to get stranded somewhere (maybe Alpha-Earth after Jade transports it to the cherub's galaxy?), all alone, for her to resort to waiting again in another crazy scheme, and for her to finally, finally, minutes from her ultimate goal, run dry. No fantastic battle, no glory, just a cough, slump to the ground, DEAD.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Eh, maybe if there weren't already a whole pile of characters with good dibs on killing her as part of their narrative arc. She terrorized Dirk and Roxy directly, enslaved Jade and Jane, brainwashed Jane to be her heir, plus every surviving Alternian troll has a bone to pick with her for their terrible homeworld (particularly Karkat, the mutant).

Actually one of the fun things to speculate about the ending is who's going to get to defeat what villains. We've got Caliborn and Lord English (who might be dealt with separately or together), Bec Noir and the Condesce so far as major villains go. John's got the narrative power and a whiff of protagonism around him so he's probably going to beat Caliborn and/or Lord English with the help of everyone else. PM, WV and Dave probably have the best claim on beating Bec Noir, since Rose and John got to hoodwink him in that dream.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Bobulus posted:

So it would be karmic justice for her biggest resource to finally run out. For Lord English to be defeated so that her normal lifespan is restored. For her to get stranded somewhere (maybe Alpha-Earth after Jade transports it to the cherub's galaxy?), all alone, for her to resort to waiting again in another crazy scheme, and for her to finally, finally, minutes from her ultimate goal, run dry. No fantastic battle, no glory, just a cough, slump to the ground, DEAD.

This would be such a dumb anticlimax that I can't believe Hussie hasn't done it already.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The Deleter posted:

This would be such a dumb anticlimax that I can't believe Hussie hasn't done it already.

We have enough climaxes, what with Jack, Lord English, the destruction of universes, etc. But if you want one more, just have the old age thing be the "punishment" for her defeat, instead of everyone just killing her outright.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'd like to publicly thank Koos for sending a copy of Virtue's Last Reward to my home address. That dude is above reason and mortal coil.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will also join the choir of the Blessings of Koos, with his gift of 999.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Merry Koosmas, every one!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Koos is a pretty awesome guy with a lot of money.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
When I was dared to post a thread in FYAD, Koos saved me from being brutally owned.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Many people posted:

The problem with Bladekindeyewear is…

No, the real problem with BKE is a similar one to somebody like DarkSydePhil: They're incapable of admitting any fault whatsoever. If they're wrong; if they're so clearly wrong and they know it and everybody who is looking at them knows it, they will never just say "looks like I was wrong about that".

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Bobulus posted:

Speaking of time, I may have already said this, but I want the Condesce's ultimate fate to be to die of old age.

She's got this running theme of being a poor tactical planner that survives by having all the time in the world for her machinations to bear fruit. Stranded at the wrong end of the galaxy? Take the slow way home. Stuck on a hostile world? Spend hundreds of years brute-forcing the world into the shape you want. Make a deal with the devil that gets you enslaved, but extends your lifespan from near-infinite to actually infinite. Since she has so much life, she's constantly burning the candle at both ends.

Dolash posted:

Eh, maybe if there weren't already a whole pile of characters with good dibs on killing her as part of their narrative arc. She terrorized Dirk and Roxy directly, enslaved Jade and Jane, brainwashed Jane to be her heir, plus every surviving Alternian troll has a bone to pick with her for their terrible homeworld (particularly Karkat, the mutant).

Actually one of the fun things to speculate about the ending is who's going to get to defeat what villains. We've got Caliborn and Lord English (who might be dealt with separately or together), Bec Noir and the Condesce so far as major villains go. John's got the narrative power and a whiff of protagonism around him so he's probably going to beat Caliborn and/or Lord English with the help of everyone else. PM, WV and Dave probably have the best claim on beating Bec Noir, since Rose and John got to hoodwink him in that dream.

Counterpoint: Condescence is one of the only good characters, the comic should end with her flying away to find some new planet of chumps to rule over, laughing and leaving a trail of glitter and gold the whole way.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ProfessorCirno posted:

Counterpoint: Condescence is one of the only good characters, the comic should end with her flying away to find some new planet of chumps to rule over, laughing and leaving a trail of glitter and gold the whole way.

who are the rest of the Only Good Characters in your opinion.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
Koos is the chillest bro, got my copy of 999 yesterday. Can't wait to start playing it after finals :D

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Rita Repulsa posted:

who are the rest of the Only Good Characters in your opinion.

Roxy, Meenah, the original four kids, Kanaya.

Terezi was up there but she got ham fisted and dumb in the last chapter.

Karkat hovers around there but only accidentally.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

I will cut you.

Agree on the rest except for Kanaya, she kind of wavers in and out of The Best status.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dolash posted:

I'd peg Meenah to be the one to take down the Condesce, by some mechanism or other. The whole point about the irony in her dying of old age fits if she's taken down by a ghost using her Thief of Life powers. And of course it's Symbolic to be killed by your alternate self. It'd be a good ending to Meenah's character arc, since her idolising the Condesce is at odds with the fact that at core she is a decent person.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ProfessorCirno posted:

Huh.

That's pretty much my list exactly. Odd, I was all ready to argue and everything. I give Jane some credit but I'm kind of more partial to humans over any given troll.

Kanaya is only there because her interaction with Rose has resulted in some of the funniest homestuck moments.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Clowns and spiders is where its at.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ProfessorCirno posted:

Add Vriska and Mindfang in and you're pretty much spot on.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Karkat is in the running for the only drat reason I still read Homestuck.

Like, I cannot recall a single conversation he has had with anybody that wasn't either funny or fun. His presence in any scene means that scene is instantly better because he's there to shout at people when they get too stupid. He is the most mirthful bundle of rage ever and I would have stopped reading a long, long time ago if it wasn't for the fact that Karkat was still alive.

Jade is also pretty cool. She gets second place in the Best Character category.

Everybody else can go about there business.

Uniscott
Sep 19, 2013
Just got to act 6, what can I expect from the alpha kids?

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
Not much

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Expect Roxy ownage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Oxxidation posted:

I will cut you.

No no, I mean, Karkat is fantastic on accident. HIS accident, not Hussie's. Everything he does is hilarious and all in ways he wishes weren't. Which makes it kinda funnier really.