Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Can I buy an unlocked Google Nexus 5 phone from the play store for $350 and put a Walmart Straight talk SIM card in it? That would allow me to buy a $45 a month "unlimited" plan with 2.5GB of data a month that then throttles to 2g. If that would work it would make me pretty happy.

http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpd...cale=en&lang=EN

Citycop fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes. That will work fine.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Country/Provider: New York, USA/Verizon

Current contract status: I'm on my family's business account that should be continuing ad infinitum

Budget (phone/plan): Don't want to spend more than I have to/the plan apparently will upgrade me to a smartphone for $10 more a month, which seems ok

Features I know I want: GPS, light web browsing

I current have an almost 5 year old NV^2 phone, which is quite a dumb phone. The battery is on its last legs, usually lasting for half a phone call before determining that it would rather just shut off than let me talk. I spoke to Verizon today and they told me that I could switch the phone from dumb to smart on the plan for a mere $10 a month, which seems like a pittance. We already have unlimited voice and text and apparently 6 gigs a month of data, of which 2 gigs has been used at max.

I have almost no knowledge of smart phones, other than seeing my friends' and playing with them. I've had people tell me to buy an Apple phone and others tell me to buy an Android phone. I understand there are pros and cons for each, but I'm not quite sure what weight to give them. I am somewhat concerned that I might buy into the "wrong" ecosystem though.

My only real caveat is that I don't want some giant thing that doesn't fit in my pocket. I must say that I enjoy being able to stuff my current phone in my pocket with keys or something else without issue. I saw a phone the other day that must clearly be only for ladies, as there was no way to carry that monster around without a pocketbook.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So what is the newest fancy pants android phone out there right now? I currently have a 4S but want to move to an Android. Have about $300 to spend for a subsidized Verizon replacement phone. I would like it to have the newest version of Android.

My biggest concern is getting a phone which has been out a few months already and then it becoming old in like a month or something. In other words, I would rather not buy a new phone at the end of its prime release period.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Motorola Droid Maxx

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

This is for my mom, I told her I'd do some research for her.

Country/Provider: USA / AT&T

Current contract status: Eligible for upgrade. Her plan is partially work subsidized. She's not a heavy data user.

Budget (phone/plan): She's fairly budget conscious so the cheaper the better. She doesn't do a lot on her phone but just wants it to work.

Features I know I want: She has an iPhone 4 now but is seriously contemplating a change to Android; she doesn't have a lot of apps so wouldn't lose much by switching. She may end up going with an iPhone 5 but wants me to provide an Android alternative so she can compare in the store.

So, Android requirements in order of importance
- Ease of use. Has to get as close to the "just works" on an iPhone as possible.
- Following on that, she doesn't want to mess around with customizing the UI -- she's probably the type of person that vendors have in mind when they include skins ala Sense on their phones. So whichever is the best of those vendor suites.
- Good battery life
- Smallish form factor. She thinks my HTC One is a bit big. So iPhone 4 size up to maybe Moto X size.
- Decent camera.

Thanks!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

regulargonzalez posted:

So, Android requirements in order of importance
- Ease of use. Has to get as close to the "just works" on an iPhone as possible.
- Following on that, she doesn't want to mess around with customizing the UI -- she's probably the type of person that vendors have in mind when they include skins ala Sense on their phones. So whichever is the best of those vendor suites.
- Good battery life
- Smallish form factor. She thinks my HTC One is a bit big. So iPhone 4 size up to maybe Moto X size.
- Decent camera.
The only non-iPhone worth showing her is the Moto X. She should still get an iPhone, though.
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Motorola-Moto-X,Apple-iPhone-5s/phones/7885,7710

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The only non-iPhone worth showing her is the Moto X. She should still get an iPhone, though.
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Motorola-Moto-X,Apple-iPhone-5s/phones/7885,7710

If she goes iPhone, the 5 is recommended over the 5c right? Target still has the 5 in stock so that's what I'll recommend for her.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

If she goes iPhone, the 5 is recommended over the 5c right? Target still has the 5 in stock so that's what I'll recommend for her.
The 5c is slightly upgraded over the 5 and is free on contract from various retailers. I don't really see any good reason to get a 5 unless she just really doesn't want a plastic phone.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The 5c is slightly upgraded over the 5 and is free on contract from various retailers. I don't really see any good reason to get a 5 unless she just really doesn't want a plastic phone.

Everywhere I'm looking I can't find the 5c cheaper than $49 on AT&T. Don't suppose you have a link to the free for upgrade-eligible customers deal?

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 8, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Everywhere I'm looking I can't find the 5c cheaper than $49 on AT&T. Don't suppose you have a link to the free for upgrade-eligible customers deal?

I doubt you'll find the 5C cheaper than that, and the $100 old smartphone trade in is unfortunately over for 2 year contract upgrades. $50 is $50, I would just get it for that price.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm on a t-mobile e-plan with unlimited data/texts and 100 minutes a month for 30bux. They don't seem to care what phone I use.
budget: 300. Cheaper is better though, don't want to spend too much. If I can get something decent for 200bux I'd be happy.

I just destroyed my almost 3 year old mytouch 4g. I want to buy an android phone that accepts sim cards and works in the USA and UK (so something like, copy pasted from wikipedia)
GSM 850/900/1800/1900
GPRS Class 10
EDGE Class 10
UMTS Bands I and IV
HSPA+ 14.4, HSUPA 5.76

But more importantly: a newish android phone that accepts the original-style sim cards (the large ones, not the new cut down style sim cards). I also root my phones so I want something that can be rooted.

Can someone recommend something that is decent? I will buy it for full price and unlock it myself, I don't really care if it's for ATT or t-mobile or not for any specific network.

edit: my wife has an htc evo 3d and it has a poo poo 4 hour battery life. I want something that can last 16+ hours if possible.

redreader fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 9, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

redreader posted:

But more importantly: a newish android phone that accepts the original-style sim cards (the large ones, not the new cut down style sim cards).
This isn't going to happen. Everything from 2012+ uses micro or nano SIM now, and you shouldn't spend any money on something older than that. Get a Nexus 4 or 5. If you really care about the SIM size that much you can get an adapter that will let you use a micro SIM in a mini SIM slot.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
If I need to get a new sim card due to new phones only accepting smaller sim cards, is there any way I can get a similar deal to my 30bux/month unlimited text, 5gb 'unlimited' data, and 100 minutes of calls that I get from t-mobile?

edit for clarity: looking at a size comparison thing it looks like I have a 'micro' sim card: http://socialcompare.com/en/tools/compare-sizes/full-size-vs-mini-sim-vs-micro-sim-vs-nano-sim-vs-embedded-sim-vs-iphone4

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Replacing your SIM card does not require any changes to your plan. Just request a new SIM card from your carrier.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

redreader posted:

If I need to get a new sim card due to new phones only accepting smaller sim cards, is there any way I can get a similar deal to my 30bux/month unlimited text, 5gb 'unlimited' data, and 100 minutes of calls that I get from t-mobile?

You just need to get a new SIM from T-Mobile, call up T-Mobile and switch the SIM on your account. It takes like 10 minutes. The SIMs are currently free but sometimes cost $10. If you have a corporate store nearby you can usually get a new SIM free.

EDIT SWSP! Well, I told you they are free right now.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Or you can cut your sim card down to size, a pair of scissors and 2 minutes is all it takes

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

gariig posted:

You just need to get a new SIM from T-Mobile, call up T-Mobile and switch the SIM on your account. It takes like 10 minutes. The SIMs are currently free but sometimes cost $10. If you have a corporate store nearby you can usually get a new SIM free.

EDIT SWSP! Well, I told you they are free right now.

T-Mobile has never charged me for a SIM card. Hell, I've been able to walk into a store and have a sales rep just hand me an unactivated one, 'cause they were busy and I was comfortable doing it on my own.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I ordered a Nexus 5 from the play store on the 5th and it said 4-5 week wait.. Well it just friggin shipped 4 days later. Hell yes.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Ok. So I can cut my sim down or get another one. What phones are good these days?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

redreader posted:

Ok. So I can cut my sim down or get another one. What phones are good these days?

HTC One if you want an amazing display, best build quality in an android phone, and good low light camera.
Moto X if you want a very good + large display in a smaller form factor, are able to take advantage of the great deals on it, and like the Tasker-lite style automation
Nexus 5 for kind of a "generally great at everything, but not absolute best in anything (aside from the camera maybe?)"
Note 3 if you want monster display + huge battery life

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Nexus 5 wins hands down if you want an unlocked or off contract Android that is not priced like a laptop.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for all of those replies. Looks like only the nexus 4 is in my price range if I want a no-contract deal

Markariel
Dec 10, 2013
Anybody have any experiences with the Motorola Moto G? I am trying to find a new budget smartphone and I keep reading positive reviews on this phone. The price is really attractive (200 EUROs) considering it's features but yeah....Motorola. I am really on the fence about this one. Somebody push me please.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Ok so I'm looking to get a smartphone for Christmas and my dad has offered to upgrade an old number/plan but what would be the best to get, I'm in the uk and its on Vodafone and is currently around £13 a month, and I'm looking for a plan with a decent data limit, and a good all round phone, I have 150-200 to spend on a device and/or stretch to £20-25 a month

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Sorry, I guess most of the deals ended. Looks like Walmart will have it for $27 on Friday, though. http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/11/walmart-to-sell-iphone-5c-for-27-iphone-5s-for-127-beginning-friday/

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Rumda posted:

Ok so I'm looking to get a smartphone for Christmas and my dad has offered to upgrade an old number/plan but what would be the best to get, I'm in the uk and its on Vodafone and is currently around £13 a month, and I'm looking for a plan with a decent data limit, and a good all round phone, I have 150-200 to spend on a device and/or stretch to £20-25 a month

Ok looking at the Vodafone sim only deals seem ok what is the best phone to get for £150-200 I know knothing about phones its like a massive blind spot for me.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've got what should be a simple question but is driving me nuts. I have an iPhone 4S and Verizon, and I want to make my phone a mobile hostpot. Verizon wants to charge me $20 a month for 2 GB of hotspot data, and I think that's bullshit because I already pay for 5 GB of data that I hardly use. What do I need to do to avoid that fee? I have an upgrade stored, so I'm willing to even switch to an Android phone to avoid it if need be, or even to another carrier if Verizon won't let me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've got what should be a simple question but is driving me nuts. I have an iPhone 4S and Verizon, and I want to make my phone a mobile hostpot. Verizon wants to charge me $20 a month for 2 GB of hotspot data, and I think that's bullshit because I already pay for 5 GB of data that I hardly use. What do I need to do to avoid that fee? I have an upgrade stored, so I'm willing to even switch to an Android phone to avoid it if need be, or even to another carrier if Verizon won't let me.

That's a question for the Verizon thread, there's a few chaps there who could answer that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ok, I'll check there. Thanks!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Rumda posted:

Ok looking at the Vodafone sim only deals seem ok what is the best phone to get for £150-200 I know knothing about phones its like a massive blind spot for me.

If you're willing to wait for shipping issues to clear up, the Moto G is the best option within your budget.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Country/Provider: USA, currently Sprint

Current contract status: I am a 27 year old whose mom still shares a family plan with my good ole mom!

Budget (phone/plan): I currently have a crappy Samsung Rant thats probably like 4 years old. I really want to get an iPhone of some type, preferably 5s. I don't want to spend more than $200-300 on a phone really.

Features I know I want: I definitely need more than 3-400 minutes, although I never go over 1,000. I want unlimited texting and data. I'm thinking about going with the Virgin $45 a month plan that would get me 1,200 minutes per month with unlimited messaging and data. I think that'd be better in the long run than paying ~$30 more for a comparable plan with Sprint... although I don't know about other providers. I see the iPhone 5s that is compatible with Sprint on the Apple site, but would that work with Virgin as well since they're under Sprint? I assume not, but I don't really now these things! On the Virgin website, they list the iPhone 5s as $550 and I really don't want to pay that much. They have the iPhone 4 for $200, but I'm not sure if thats worth it since its the old model.

I also really want to keep my phone number that I have with Sprint now. My mom is wanting to ditch Sprint entirely so I kind of have to act fast before my number disappears forever. Please help! I have PMs as well so that'd work too. Thanks!

Mochiloc
Dec 30, 2001
Country/Provider: USA, currently Verizon

Current contract status: Contract expires at the end of December

Budget (phone/plan): $300 plus whatever I can get for a Verizon iPhone 4S if I decided to sell

My job decided to reimburse up to $80 per month for cell phones - my Verizon plan is $110 per month and I can't really drop it because I use 3-3.5GB of data per month, plus talk and text. I'm thinking about getting a Nexus 5 and switching, but I've had Verizon for 15 years so I have no idea what other coverage is like in my area (western-central NJ).

I am not averse to prepaid, my main goal is to get my entire bill footed by my job instead of having to pay anything, without a huge drop in features. I was looking at the 7GB/$70 Aio prepaid plan, but again, I don't know how their coverage is in my area.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sublimer posted:

Country/Provider: USA, currently Sprint

Current contract status: I am a 27 year old whose mom still shares a family plan with my good ole mom!

Budget (phone/plan): I currently have a crappy Samsung Rant thats probably like 4 years old. I really want to get an iPhone of some type, preferably 5s. I don't want to spend more than $200-300 on a phone really.

Features I know I want: I definitely need more than 3-400 minutes, although I never go over 1,000. I want unlimited texting and data. I'm thinking about going with the Virgin $45 a month plan that would get me 1,200 minutes per month with unlimited messaging and data. I think that'd be better in the long run than paying ~$30 more for a comparable plan with Sprint... although I don't know about other providers. I see the iPhone 5s that is compatible with Sprint on the Apple site, but would that work with Virgin as well since they're under Sprint? I assume not, but I don't really now these things! On the Virgin website, they list the iPhone 5s as $550 and I really don't want to pay that much. They have the iPhone 4 for $200, but I'm not sure if thats worth it since its the old model.

I also really want to keep my phone number that I have with Sprint now. My mom is wanting to ditch Sprint entirely so I kind of have to act fast before my number disappears forever. Please help! I have PMs as well so that'd work too. Thanks!
To only spend $200-300 on an iPhone, you're either going to have to take a subsidy or take something way out of date. You're not going to get a subsidized plan that is under $70, unfortunately. If you're willing to spend that much per month, T-Mobile will sell you an iPhone 5s for $0 up front, and you can get the $60/month Simple Choice plan with 2.5 GB of data, and unlimited minutes and texts. They then add a $27 loan repayment to that for two years, though I think you can pay more up front if you want and you can pay that off any time you want. Depends on T-Mobile service in your area, of course.

Mochiloc posted:

I am not averse to prepaid, my main goal is to get my entire bill footed by my job instead of having to pay anything, without a huge drop in features. I was looking at the 7GB/$70 Aio prepaid plan, but again, I don't know how their coverage is in my area.
Aio is AT&T, so whatever AT&T's coverage is, is AIo's coverage. That is to say, you should be fine. That said, AT&T is closing it down as soon as their acquisition of Cricket finishes.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Endless Mike posted:

To only spend $200-300 on an iPhone, you're either going to have to take a subsidy or take something way out of date. You're not going to get a subsidized plan that is under $70, unfortunately.

What about getting the iPhone 4s for $200 through Virgin then doing their $45 a month plan? Would that be a good plan or at least what would be the downside? I've compared the 4 and the 5 a little bit and it looks like the biggest difference is the speed of the chip. The thing is though, I still have a terrible dumb phone with a keyboard, so I don't even know if that would matter to me or not. Thanks for your advice/response!

Mochiloc
Dec 30, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Aio is AT&T, so whatever AT&T's coverage is, is AIo's coverage. That is to say, you should be fine. That said, AT&T is closing it down as soon as their acquisition of Cricket finishes.

I read that Cricket is just going to replace Aio and Aio users will flip over to Cricket. Maybe I was reading incorrect information though, either way if the plans stay similarly priced it's fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sublimer posted:

What about getting the iPhone 4s for $200 through Virgin then doing their $45 a month plan? Would that be a good plan or at least what would be the downside? I've compared the 4 and the 5 a little bit and it looks like the biggest difference is the speed of the chip. The thing is though, I still have a terrible dumb phone with a keyboard, so I don't even know if that would matter to me or not. Thanks for your advice/response!
Well, ideally you want something that will last you two years. A 4s will *probably* do that since Apple has been good about keeping things updated, but the next version of iOS might not be optimized very well for it. The other thing is that the 4s only has 3G capabilities, so its data speeds will be much slower than anything newer, be it a 5, 5c, or 5s which are all LTE-enabled. This is especially important on Virgin, which has horribly slow 3G speeds. Think 56k.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mochiloc posted:

I read that Cricket is just going to replace Aio and Aio users will flip over to Cricket. Maybe I was reading incorrect information though, either way if the plans stay similarly priced it's fine.

For another bare ones plan option, AT&T 's new plans you can do either :

Call text and 300MB of data (small amount) : $55 monthly
Call text and 1GB: $70

iPhone 5C: $22 over 26 months.

T-Mobile will give you more data, so if you have good coverage with them do that, but if they have poor coverage that's the entry level plans for AT&T at least.

Virgin mobile expect slightly lesser coverage than your current sprint coverage and just assume you will mostly just use your iPhone over Wi-Fi (which to be fair you would have to do a lot of with lower capped plan anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
My father has decided to cave and call an 11th hour audible to get my brother his first smartphone for Christmas.

I need a crash course in iPhones, if someone can.

Country/Provider: US/Baltimore - ATT

Current Contract Status:
3 dumbphones/1 Smartphone (android) on a FamilyTalk Nation 700 with Rollover with a 3gb data plan for the droid. All 3 dumbphones have full upgrade eligibility.

Details: I assume that, since my brother has an iPad from college virtually attached to him at this point, he'll be better off staying in the Apple ecosystem. Reviewing AT&T's website, the following options are presented:

Refurbs:
Apple® iPhone® 4 (8GB Black) (Refurb) - $0.99 With 2-year commitment
Apple® iPhone® 4s (16GB Black) (Refurb) - $0.99 With 2-year commitment
Apple® iPhone® 5 (32GB White) (Refurb) - $99.99 With 2-year commitment
Apple iPhone 5c (16GB Blue) (Refurb) - $24.99 With 2-year commitment
Apple iPhone 5s (16GB Silver) (Refurb) - $99.99 With 2-year commitment

New:
Apple® iPhone® 5s (16GB Space Gray) - $199.99 With 2-year commitment
Apple® iPhone® 5c (16GB White) - $99.99 With 2-year commitment
Apple® iPhone® 4s (8GB Black) - $0.99 With 2-year commitment
Apple® iPhone® 4s (16GB White) - $49.99 With 2-year commitment

Bottom line: Are any of the above reasonable deals? Good options? Is there a 3rd party I can get the phone through? Is there an alternative method I can squeeze a better deal out of AT&T with? If I go with one of those price points, which is the best option for someone who has never had a smartphone before and is kinda rough on phones in general? What kind of plan should I be shooting for? Is there some sort of shared data plan I can use between the 2 smartphones? I currently bump real close against the lovely 3gb plan on my phone, alone, and I feel like I'm using a gimped phone because I can't do all the cool poo poo they advertise without blowing through fucktons of data.

Any advice is welcome.