Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

sitchelin posted:

The last thing you want is your pawn spamming anodyne. It only heals your white health and you have to stand in it like a dummy. If you're looking for a bona-fide tank, your pawn needs to be a Fighter or a Warrior, since they both have taunt skills. Fighters have a shield, and Warriors have Pantera songs written about them. Also, even with "taunt" skills, larger monsters just attack whatever the hell they want, so it's not that big of a deal.

Your pawn won't spam Anodyne if you give it the right inclinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

mirarant posted:

Long version:
The only pawn tank type is the Fighter which has zero magic skills, give it only the taunt shield skill to prevent idiocy. A utilitarian inclination might increase the chances of it actually taunting and not just farting around plinking at enemies.

Short version:
There is no cleric tank type for pawns.

If you have your pawns carry small items / give them pots / have your mage carry healing items then you probably don't want Utilitarian. They will slam potions and throw skulls instead of doing anything useful.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm completley stuck and have hit the hardest bit in the game :(

The quest just into act 2, where you have to kill a griffin. I cant get it to land. Took me ages to figure out I had to lure a goblin over to the spot, tried for ages to lure one over but my pawns kept killing them. so i look up a guide, and it says to kill one and carry the body over. but there's none around for miles and whenever i do try and bring one over (hammering all my stamina items) it'll simply dissolve while still on my shoulder before i get there. I assume because i'm not quick enough, but there arent any loving goblins in the area. i've never seen this area so free of goblins before :(

it's the longest i've spent on any one part of this game so far and I think i need to give up for the day. Is there some trick to it? I cant figure out what i'm doing wrong.

e: I just slept until nightfall to see if the increased monster spawn would help me. Casually walked over to the spot off the path and didnt see a single thing I could fight. This is absolute horeshit.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 15, 2013

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
On that same hill, kill one of the spiders residing close to the trees, pick one of those up and move it to the circle.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm completley stuck and have hit the hardest bit in the game :(

The quest just into act 2, where you have to kill a griffin. I cant get it to land. Took me ages to figure out I had to lure a goblin over to the spot, tried for ages to lure one over but my pawns kept killing them. so i look up a guide, and it says to kill one and carry the body over. but there's none around for miles and whenever i do try and bring one over (hammering all my stamina items) it'll simply dissolve while still on my shoulder before i get there. I assume because i'm not quick enough, but there arent any loving goblins in the area. i've never seen this area so free of goblins before :(

it's the longest i've spent on any one part of this game so far and I think i need to give up for the day. Is there some trick to it? I cant figure out what i'm doing wrong.

Try quitting and reloading? Goblins should spawn near the spot where you need to place one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There should be a goblin camp a little ways over the ridge overlooking town. Any kinda corpse works there though, kill whatever you can find.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
If I grab one from the goblin camp it's too far away - by the time I get back i've been gone long enough that the camera shifts focus to show me where to put it, and by the time the camera comes back to me my goblin has dissapeared.

never even knew there were spiders by the trees around here, will look for one.

e: spider worked!

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 15, 2013

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

So how hard is Hard mode, anyways? Anyone try starting on Hard? At times, I feel like the difficulty curve is a little too generous.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

So how hard is Hard mode, anyways? Anyone try starting on Hard? At times, I feel like the difficulty curve is a little too generous.

Hard Mode does nothing to correct that. All Hard does is increase the damage you take (so not the damage your pawns take) and how much stamina it takes for you to do stuff. It also greatly increases gold drops (and exp?). So basically it makes the beginning extra tough but once you get far enough the difficulty melts away. Only point to doing it is the two armor sets you get (from beating Grigori and the Seneschal, respectively).

If you want to challenge yourself do a BBI only playthrough (go to BBI ASAP and stay there, use no other pawn other than your own).

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
I've been hankering to play this game again but I totally forgot how to play and I felt lost on my old character so I decided to restart. I updated my new pawn on the spreadsheet, this time he is a giant grizzled old man fighter that looks like Zeus. I played a strider/assassin throughout the whole game last time, I'm thinking about playing a magick archer this time. I'm totally interested in friending someone with a healer pawn that i can take though the whole game if anyone is interested, I didn't see any recently updated healers on the spreadsheet.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Just got into Dragon's Dogma thanks to PS+. So glad it came out. I would've likely passed over this game, but it's quickly become one of my favourite.

Was wondering what sort of strategies were best employed for hellhounds? If I can get close to one, I can knock it out quickly enough. However, when they're in packs and they start dragging me around, knocking me over, or blasting me with their fireballs from afar, it becomes a living nightmare. I'm dropping tonnes of curatives just to survive smallish encounters with them.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Blind Sally posted:

Just got into Dragon's Dogma thanks to PS+. So glad it came out. I would've likely passed over this game, but it's quickly become one of my favourite.

Was wondering what sort of strategies were best employed for hellhounds? If I can get close to one, I can knock it out quickly enough. However, when they're in packs and they start dragging me around, knocking me over, or blasting me with their fireballs from afar, it becomes a living nightmare. I'm dropping tonnes of curatives just to survive smallish encounters with them.

I've played for a few hours but the tedious running back and forth and killing the same enemies over and over again is kinda getting to me. Is it because I picked the Strider?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Blind Sally posted:

Man let me know when you figure this out because I have the same problem. If I get a few lucky spells off at the start the encounter is over pretty quickly and favorably. If I start off on the wrong foot though it's awful. When playing a Ranger the dash attack seems to help some but even that still misses a fair amount.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

The main thing is to try to flank them, they can't do poo poo if they aren't looking at you and they're slowish to turn so just keep circlestrafing around the pack. Kinda tricky when there's a big pack of them, but the strider's dodgeroll/reset or some of the sword-user's dashy kind of attacks helps a lot to keep you mobile. Ice is really good against them too, a good sorcerer with High Glicel will probably one shot them, try to get one of those in your party.

If my uploaded pawn is still a sorcerer you can use mine, PSN's gastropoda.

Over There posted:

I've played for a few hours but the tedious running back and forth and killing the same enemies over and over again is kinda getting to me. Is it because I picked the Strider?
There is a lot of travel time for sure and you do end up fighting a lot of the same guys. If you've made it to Gran Soren though, make sure you picked up the portcrystal in The Everfall and get some Ferrystones, though. Game doesn't do a great job of telegraphing that they exist, but they made travel a whole hell of a lot easier.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

homeless snail posted:

There is a lot of travel time for sure and you do end up fighting a lot of the same guys. If you've made it to Gran Soren though, make sure you picked up the portcrystal in The Everfall and get some Ferrystones, though. Game doesn't do a great job of telegraphing that they exist, but they made travel a whole hell of a lot easier.

drat, well that would have helped. Thanks.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

Stun them and then grab them. Your pawns will usually finish them while you're holding them down, and might even learn to do the same thing themselves. Enemies seem to take a lot more damage while being held.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

The main thing is to try to flank them, they can't do poo poo if they aren't looking at you and they're slowish to turn so just keep circlestrafing around the pack. Kinda tricky when there's a big pack of them, but the strider's dodgeroll/reset or some of the sword-user's dashy kind of attacks helps a lot to keep you mobile. Ice is really good against them too, a good sorcerer with High Glicel will probably one shot them, try to get one of those in your party.

If my uploaded pawn is still a sorcerer you can use mine, PSN's gastropoda.

Also, protip, do some of the wyrmhunt quests early-ish before your sidequests. <Mild spoiler>You get a second and third portcrystal after completing the first two quests on the list of Wyrmhunt quests issued from Ser Maximillian in Gran Soren. Stonegate ("Fortress Besieged" or something) and the deciphering the slate quest. Doing the first two of these will help you with travel time massively.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

So that weird f2p card game thing for Vita is coming out in Japan this Thursday. :shrug:
http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/jp0102pcsg00212_00ddquestvita00000.html

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one
If anyone is still playing DA on PS3 and wants to let my pawn tag along with them that'd be swell. I need rift crystals and the rate at which I'm acquiring them is slow. I'm on the google document, but my PSN ID is DrTasty, my pawn's name is Machoman, and we're around level 114. If you want me to change him around I can, though most of my good gear is for red/yellow vocations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'll grab him in a few levels when I head back to bitterblack.

applebane
Jun 5, 2011

Dr Tasty posted:

If anyone is still playing DA on PS3 and wants to let my pawn tag along with them that'd be swell. I need rift crystals and the rate at which I'm acquiring them is slow. I'm on the google document, but my PSN ID is DrTasty, my pawn's name is Machoman, and we're around level 114. If you want me to change him around I can, though most of my good gear is for red/yellow vocations.

your around the same level as I am, I will run him thru bbi with me but it prob won't be till this weekend.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Can someone clarify how damage actually works in this game. I'm kinda OCD about damage numbers, and it's been bugging me. Say I have these 3 weapons
Dagger1 - 500 Strength, no inbuilt enchantment
Dagger2 - 250 Magick, 250 Strength, no inbuilt enchantment
Dagger3 - 250 Magick, 250 Strength, ice enchantment inbuilt

I have 300 Strength and 300 Magick without weapons on my character. What is the damage I'll do with each?

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Anarkii posted:

Can someone clarify how damage actually works in this game. I'm kinda OCD about damage numbers, and it's been bugging me. Say I have these 3 weapons
Dagger1 - 500 Strength, no inbuilt enchantment
Dagger2 - 250 Magick, 250 Strength, no inbuilt enchantment
Dagger3 - 250 Magick, 250 Strength, ice enchantment inbuilt

I have 300 Strength and 300 Magick without weapons on my character. What is the damage I'll do with each?

Pretty sure it'll be:

quote:

D1 - 800 Strength(ST)
D2 - 550 ST, 550 Magick(Mk)
D3 - 550 ST, 550 Mk

Also, if a weapon lists its magick value then the weapon does magick damage regardless of whether or not it says it has an enchantment; i.e. magick archer bows. Lastly, even though D2 and D3 have a combined total higher than D1, D1 might be better if the enemy is not weak to the enchantment or magick in general, since as far as breaking an enemy's defense goes the single highest stat is what counts.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Dr Tasty posted:

I'm down, my pawn is quite a bit lower (72-support sorc) but if you wanted to drag her around for some stupid crap to get me some extra crystals that would be great! Sent you a friend request: TehSaurus

TehSaurus fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 19, 2013

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Just heard "It has the head of a cock!" from my pawn while fighting a cockatrice in BBI.

How exactly am I supposed to go about doing BBI? I've found a bunch of doors I can't open and most of bosses kick my rear end. Well not really but I can barely do any damage to them. The giant chained cyclops, a undead dragon attracted by carrion, and an ogre attracted by carrion were all to tough to damage. The regular enemies are all super easy though and die in 2-3 hits usually.

I'm lvl 47 and trying to finish up warrior for the augments and I just beat the dragon. The beholder in Everfall was also really hard to damage.

Is there stuff I should be doing out in post dragon Gransys before I go to BBI or Everfall?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mustang posted:

Just heard "It has the head of a cock!" from my pawn while fighting a cockatrice in BBI.

How exactly am I supposed to go about doing BBI? I've found a bunch of doors I can't open and most of bosses kick my rear end. Well not really but I can barely do any damage to them. The giant chained cyclops, a undead dragon attracted by carrion, and an ogre attracted by carrion were all to tough to damage. The regular enemies are all super easy though and die in 2-3 hits usually.

I'm lvl 47 and trying to finish up warrior for the augments and I just beat the dragon. The beholder in Everfall was also really hard to damage.

Is there stuff I should be doing out in post dragon Gransys before I go to BBI or Everfall?

Well first of all, what vocation are you? And roughly how have you built yourself up to this point (i.e. physical or magical)?

If you're doing poor damage to the Evil Eye in the Everfall, I'm going to assume you're either a magic class, or using elemental weapons, because the Eye family of monsters are all super resistant to everything except for Slash, Blunt, and Holy. If you're a mage, enchant your staff with Holy and use the hold light attack, it should go down quick enough. If you're another class, use the best pure physical weapon you got and you should have no trouble beating it.

As for the enemies on BBI, no, you're not expected to be strong enough to take on all of them on your first go through (you want to do a full run of BBI again after beating it, since it becomes harder). Necrophagous enemies (i.e. Elder Ogre, Cursed Dragon, and Death) are some of the strongest enemies on BBI. It's totally possible to kill them at that low a level if you know what you're doing, but otherwise just get the gently caress out of Dodge when one shows up.

As for progress, in the room with the Condemned Gorecyclops there is a Void Key. You use it to unlock a door in the Duskmoon Tower area. From there continue on and you'll eventually find the first boss of BBI, who you should be able to take out without too much difficulty.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mustang posted:

Post-Dragon changes nearly every spawn group in Gransys, there's a bunch of lesser dragons and higher tier monsters loving around. Not really much point to it other than to grind their drops though, BBI will get you way more exp/gold/dragon forging.

A lot of the ambient bosses in BBI aren't really meant to be fought, especially at level 47. Stuff like Death and random dragon spawns and that chained up Gorecyclops you can just run away from until you're ready to fight them.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TehSaurus posted:

Man let me know when you figure this out because I have the same problem. If I get a few lucky spells off at the start the encounter is over pretty quickly and favorably. If I start off on the wrong foot though it's awful. When playing a Ranger the dash attack seems to help some but even that still misses a fair amount.

So far my best strategy has been having Pawns around that have Taunts. I've got my Main Pawn configured to do that so he can pull enemies away from me (as I've been playing squishier classes). It works fairly well, but I've been losing my Main Pawn more often than I usually do.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
How many times do you have to rest to get regular mobs to respawn on BBI (do those rests even count as days?) I'm trying to farm Bone Crests for my bow, and Golden/Silver Knights are pretty rare, apparently. Now I'm trying to respawn that Thunderwyvern in Duskmoon Tower.

Same question with chests, actually. I must have slept in the bed 10 times so far and chests haven't respawned yet. I'd like to try Godsbane farming that one chest with a level 3 weapon chance in Bloodless Stockade, but it hasn't respawned.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 22, 2013

COL. BUTTERCHEEKS
May 10, 2005

a-ten-hut!
Awaiting orders, sir!
Salute the Colonel, maggot!
I just lost my level 34 David Bowie clone due to my PS3 getting the yellow ring of death. Is there anyway to use someone else's save file around the same level? I really don't want to have to completely restart my game...

applebane
Jun 5, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

How many times do you have to rest to get regular mobs to respawn on BBI (do those rests even count as days?) I'm trying to farm Bone Crests for my bow, and Golden/Silver Knights are pretty rare, apparently. Now I'm trying to respawn that Thunderwyvern in Duskmoon Tower.

Same question with chests, actually. I must have slept in the bed 10 times so far and chests haven't respawned yet. I'd like to try Godsbane farming that one chest with a level 3 weapon chance in Bloodless Stockade, but it hasn't respawned.

You have to leave bbi for the resting to reset chest/creatures; resting on the cots in bbi (or just outside near where you purify) doesnt advance time.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Looking stuff up online about the Magick Archer, people say things like "Play Mage and then play Sorcerer." I don't get it. I want to play as a Magick Archer, not a Sorcerer. Do you get to have two vocations or something? How does being a Sorcerer help me play as a MA?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Crows Turn Off posted:

Looking stuff up online about the Magick Archer, people say things like "Play Mage and then play Sorcerer." I don't get it. I want to play as a Magick Archer, not a Sorcerer. Do you get to have two vocations or something? How does being a Sorcerer help me play as a MA?

Different classes get different stat increases when they level up. Also, some augments and skills cross over when you switch vocations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

More specifically, MA uses the magic stat to attack, gets poo poo for magic points when they level up, and its kind of hard to get your hands on good magic bows until post game. That's why people say to get some sorcerer levels under your belt first before playing MA, where in other classes your stat spread might not matter as much.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

homeless snail posted:

More specifically, MA uses the magic stat to attack, gets poo poo for magic points when they level up, and its kind of hard to get your hands on good magic bows until post game. That's why people say to get some sorcerer levels under your belt first before playing MA, where in other classes your stat spread might not matter as much.

This. Mage until lv.10 then Sorcerer until you get it to Rank 9 for the magic boosting augment. That + the levels from it should be enough to make you do well as the MA, so long as you kill Grigori with the MA for the really good Magick Bow (third best in the game, IIRC).

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Well, poo poo. I started as a Strider then switched to MA. :( I'm Level 30, about to do the first Wyrm Hunter quest. Is it too late to play as Mage/Sorcerer to boost it for a bit? Is there a good place to level up?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

Well, poo poo. I started as a Strider then switched to MA. :( I'm Level 30, about to do the first Wyrm Hunter quest. Is it too late to play as Mage/Sorcerer to boost it for a bit? Is there a good place to level up?

Stat growth takes a huge hit after lvl 100. You'll be fine. As for leveling, just kill poo poo. The larger the better.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
What's the point of the wiggle the thumbstick mechanic to escape from whatever is keeping you from moving? It never works. Like the big guy with the hammer in BBI that patrols that underground tower. He knocks you to the ground and you just lay there with the thumbsticks icon over your head to get up so he doesn't do a one shot kill to you. But no matter how fast you move them it's never fast enough to get up before he hits you. Total bullshit. It even looks dumb as hell, you're just laying there. It's not like some giant monster is squeezing you to death you are literally just laying there able to do nothing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Circles, not wiggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mustang posted:

What's the point of the wiggle the thumbstick mechanic to escape from whatever is keeping you from moving? It never works. Like the big guy with the hammer in BBI that patrols that underground tower. He knocks you to the ground and you just lay there with the thumbsticks icon over your head to get up so he doesn't do a one shot kill to you. But no matter how fast you move them it's never fast enough to get up before he hits you. Total bullshit. It even looks dumb as hell, you're just laying there. It's not like some giant monster is squeezing you to death you are literally just laying there able to do nothing.

He just slammed your skull into the ground, that's kinda hard to recover from.

But yeah you want to move it in a circular motion despite what the prompt looks like. Not that it'll help in this situation. I've only ever been able to get like 95% of the way before he caves my skull in, which is probably the point since you should be avoiding that attack in the first place.

• Locked thread