Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
39 week check up day! No dilation, barely barely barely effaced and officially have a funnel shaped pelvis instead of a more cylindrical opening- which means that kiddo's head may possibly not fit through and we may have to consider a c section. I'm pretty okay with it now, though this morning I was a bit sad. Officially resigned myself that I'll never wear a bikini ever again (which mentally screwed with me when stretch marks appeared out of no where as I hit third trimester). But, this means possibility of Xmas babby! Which is kinda cool. We shall see what the next week holds in store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Just FYI it is reaaalllly hard to determine if your baby will fit like that. Babies heads are made to mold and fit what they have to work with so it is almost impossible for a doctor to know if there will or won't be issues until the baby is actually in the process of coming out.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I don't know anything about cylindrical anything, but have you ever seen a c-section scar, Anya? They're very low nowadays. Mine is directly above my mons pubis. You could still wear almost any bikini, even if you felt you had to hide it (you don't).

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I found a picture showing the location of a c-section scar and how they (and stretch marks) are likely to look a year later. The bright red color of stretch marks really does fade a lot!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Yeah, my c-section scar is way low. Like literally on my bikini line when I shave. Unless you're wearing super revealing bottoms, no one would ever see it.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Oh the c section scar doesn't bother me, my stretch marks that appeared out of loving no where and jacked my tummy up bother me. Yay gaining weight only on your tummy. My mom didn't even get stretch marks and she gained a ton of weight (hi I haven't gotten over this well).

Yeah - the doc said it was a possibility now, but not a certainty. Next week's checkup will be a little more definitive.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
Anyone here have experience working while on hospital bedrest? My wife (who is pregnant with twins) was just put on hospitalized bedrest after her cervix was found to be 1 cm dilated at 25 weeks. Thankfully, they've detected no contractions, she has not dilated any further since Wednesday, and both babies are doing just fine. However, my wife is trying to figure out how to occupy her time. She was hoping to be able to work from the hospital bed via a laptop in order to keep her sane during the tedium, but we got blindsided by many things yesterday:

1. FMLA kicks in the moment she enters the hospital for any complications related to pregnancy, with no chance to hold off on using it. So much for hoping to save the time until after the babies were born.
2. Her short-term disability kicks in automatically once FMLA starts. The benefits are generous (70% of her salary for 6 weeks or so). However, it would require her to use a week of vacation before they start (something that will be in short supply next year since she accrues vacation as the year goes on). More importantly, she can't work at all while they're active. We would consider forgoing the benefits just so she could work (it would be worth it to keep her relaxed and happy, and we have plenty in savings), if it wasn't for #3.
3. Her employer may be unwilling to let her work from the hospital at all due to liability concerns. If this turns out to be the case, we may see if she can "volunteer" for her company (it's a non-profit), but I have no idea if even that will work.

Combine all that with depression brought on by being on hospital bedrest an hour from her home, and you have a recipe for one unhappy mother-to-be. :(

Strangely enough, if she were on home bedrest, everything would be fine: no FMLA, no short-term disability, and no liability concerns. There's a tiny chance she could be put on home bedrest next Thursday (a hospital much closer to our home can handle 26 week gestation births), but it would require either a lot of progress on stabilizing the dilation, or a very sympathetic doctor. More likely it will be at 28-30 weeks when the cervix is no longer the sole support for the babies.

Does anyone have any experience with these issues? I should be receiving paperwork today from her office containing their policies on FMLA and short-term disability, and we'll hear from her company's lawyers probably on Monday about liability. However, if anyone has any experience with working on hospital bedrest, I'd appreciate it.

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
My little Allison is almost 8 weeks old and weighs over 12 pounds now. The past 2 nights I've woken her up between 3-5:00 a.m., which was 7 hours since her last bottle, and managed to nurse her for a few minutes each side but couldn't get her back awake to take a bottle. I'd just put her back in her crib and she'd sleep another 3-4 hours. Previously, she'd nurse and then drink between 1-3 ounces of a bottle before going back to sleep. Is it okay to let a baby that young sleep between 10-12 hours straight? She eats well during the day and is way over her birth weight.

We're also starting to feed her 6 ounces today. She'd been on 4 ounces for a couple weeks and did fine, but now she'll eat 4 and cry again after an hour, and then will eat 3-4 more ounces. I dunno, 6 ounces just seems like a lot for someone so young, but this is my first baby, so I could be wrong. :) She's also quite a bit bigger than most babies, so that could be it.

My little chunky-butt:

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Chicken, my son started sleeping for 5-7 hours around 8 weeks too and my doc said as long as he was making up for it during the daytime (was he ever) it was fine. He was much smaller, too; he's a couple days shy of 6 months and just doubled his birth weight recently. He was close at his 4 month, I'm pretty sure he's 15-16 lbs now. He's a stringbean!

I can't answer the amount question, based on the calculators I saw on Kellymom (which I found hard to use because I nurse on demand and couldn't tell you how many times I feed him a day) he should be getting about 5oz. I know my brother and sister in law are bottle feeding breastmilk to their 8 week old and giving her more than 5 oz, which would've come right back out my son's nose had I tried to given him that much at that age, but he also wasn't getting bottles so it could be different?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I never went on guides on how much our kid should be eating because he always ate almost double what those charts say. The doctor said he was fine and healthy and if he's hungry to feed him. If you're concerned you could talk to your doctor!

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
I guess it was a silly question because I know every baby is different. :) But thanks for your input. She's going to eat us out of house and home! On the plus side, she slept uninterrupted for 8 and a half hours last night, so I'm a happy mom.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yay! David's awake, happened last night when we visited and he was properly awake for a few minutes so he could see and hear us:

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Oh man, HDS... I didn't believe people when they said having your own child would make reading about bad things happening to children/babies hit you harder but I almost cannot handle looking at those pics, even knowing that he's recovering.

I hope this feeling lets up a bit because even dumb stuff sets it off and bothers me. I had BBC America on last night and there's this dumb show Atlantis on in the background and it was about a foundling baby and I had to change the channel, the idea of someone abandoning their newborn was too much for me!

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN
Mar 18, 2007
I'm really proud to be a dad and my daughter is just wonderful so without further ado, this is Harper. Mom is doing great too.

kells
Mar 19, 2009

sudont posted:

I hope this feeling lets up a bit because even dumb stuff sets it off and bothers me.

I started sobbing during Gravity because "her baby died".

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yay! David's awake, happened last night when we visited and he was properly awake for a few minutes so he could see and hear us:

That's awesome! Go David! I hope you got in lots of hand holding time with him.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

sudont posted:

I hope this feeling lets up a bit because even dumb stuff sets it off and bothers me. I had BBC America on last night and there's this dumb show Atlantis on in the background and it was about a foundling baby and I had to change the channel, the idea of someone abandoning their newborn was too much for me!

Archer just had his 1st birthday & I'm still turned into a sobbing mess when fictional characters lose their babies or mothers. Not even real people. Just the thought of children having to grow up without their mom destroys me.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

I absolutely adore that thing new dads (and men unaccustomed to babies in general) do where they use their entire hand to support that tiny little head. I think they're secretly terrified that otherwise it'll come loose and fall off, I know my husband was.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Chicken Biscuits posted:

She's going to eat us out of house and home!

Not to scare you or anything but Jasper's formula record for one day was 65 oz before he got the hang of eating food.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Hey, has anyone had any luck with sea bands for morning sickness? I would normally discount them as wacky holistic junk, but my baby book recommends them despite it being a very scientific and medical book, and at this point I am willing to try anything if it will enable me to be a functional human being for any amount of time again. I have a doctor's appointment this week, and my doctor will probably write me a scrip for diclectin, but I didn't have a lot of luck with it last pregnancy and don't want to put all my eggs in that basket. If they helped/are helping any of you, I would love to hear about it.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

It takes off maybe 5% of my nausea. Not enough on its own, or even that helpful on a bad day, but it can take the edge off if I'm also taking my Zofran and eating correctly etc., etc..

Of course, I'm vomiting worse now at 15 weeks than I ever did in the first trimester, so it's possible that I am broken and my advice is terrible.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

raaaan posted:

Hey, has anyone had any luck with sea bands for morning sickness? I would normally discount them as wacky holistic junk, but my baby book recommends them despite it being a very scientific and medical book, and at this point I am willing to try anything if it will enable me to be a functional human being for any amount of time again. I have a doctor's appointment this week, and my doctor will probably write me a scrip for diclectin, but I didn't have a lot of luck with it last pregnancy and don't want to put all my eggs in that basket. If they helped/are helping any of you, I would love to hear about it.

Diclectin/diclegis is doxylamine (unisom) and vitamin B6, both of which are available OTC.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

superbelch posted:

Diclectin/diclegis is doxylamine (unisom) and vitamin B6, both of which are available OTC.

They are available OTC, but for me, they did not work nearly as well as Diclegis. The delayed release formulation really minimized the side effects for me, too.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

skeetied posted:

They are available OTC, but for me, they did not work nearly as well as Diclegis. The delayed release formulation really minimized the side effects for me, too.

I just did some googling and Unisom doesn't appear to be available OTC in Canada. Gonna have to wait for a prescription. Anyhow, husband picked up some sea bands and weirdly enough they are helping. Not enough to completely kill my nausea, but enough that I am not praying for death and missing sleep. Still going to take my doctor up on a prescription, but this is at least a little better.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Looks like you can get a honkin' giant box of the Costco generic off Amazon.ca if you really need it. I haven't been in a Canadian Costco in a while so I don't know if its available in the stores too.

http://www.amazon.ca/Kirkland-Signature-Doxylamine-Succinate-192-Count/dp/B008E0559O

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Welp. Sudden and severe vomiting has put me in the ER. Whoever said the second trimester was supposed to be better was a goddamn liar!

Isabelle Caramel
Jun 23, 2008
Oh no :( They almost put me in the hospital because I had a day where I just couldn't stop throwing up. If it makes you feel any better, my second trimester has been filled with waaaaaay more vomiting than my first ever was. I keep waiting for that mystical "second trimester honeymoon" to start but so far it hasn't. Try to get lots of rest and I hope you get some relief soon.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
I had my baby boy on Saturday morning at 4:06 am. It was a rough labor (22 hours!) to say the least, but I didn't need a c section and both of us came through without complications. My blood pressure dropped back down to normal after giving birth and I'm thankful for that as well. We have him at home now are absolutely smitten with our little guy.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
Congratulations APOLLO (love your avatar)!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

I had my baby boy on Saturday morning at 4:06 am. It was a rough labor (22 hours!) to say the least, but I didn't need a c section and both of us came through without complications. My blood pressure dropped back down to normal after giving birth and I'm thankful for that as well. We have him at home now are absolutely smitten with our little guy.

Congrats! :)

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Yay for you! And congrats that both of you are healthy and doing well :) Were they talking about a c section for you? Was there anything they were able to do as to avoid surgery? I'm trying to figure out what will be the game plan for me when that time comes over the next week.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
Thanks for the congrats!

Anya posted:

Yay for you! And congrats that both of you are healthy and doing well :) Were they talking about a c section for you? Was there anything they were able to do as to avoid surgery? I'm trying to figure out what will be the game plan for me when that time comes over the next week.

My waters suddenly broke Friday morning without labor starting, so there was a chance of c section if the induced labor failed to progress or took too long, to prevent possible infection. I did tell them I wanted to avoid surgery although I'm not sure that really effected my care. Since the labor was long at 22 hours, I am so so glad I opted for the epidural because it made a huge difference in my pain level which was becoming overwhelming.

Best of luck to you Anya, hope you'll be meeting your son soon.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]
I think I'm finally over the hill in regards to morning/all day sickness! I'm 9 weeks 5 days and I can function during the day without any gagging or dry heaving. The only time I feel sick is at night. If I'm not in bed by 9pm, I start to get very nauseous and I dry heave a little. But I'll take it! I also got gaviscon on the recommendation of my family doctor, so we'll see if that helps.

The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I haven't been taking my prenatal regularly. I've missed it probably 4-5 times in the last 5 weeks. Is this ok? A lot of people I speak to tell me it's fine but I'm hardly eating a proper nutritious diet with all the sickness so I'm worried that I'm harming my baby. My prenatal is a horse pill and I got materna (apparently a really popular prenatal in Canada) but it's just as large and it makes me feel awful.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

jennyinstereo posted:

I think I'm finally over the hill in regards to morning/all day sickness! I'm 9 weeks 5 days and I can function during the day without any gagging or dry heaving. The only time I feel sick is at night. If I'm not in bed by 9pm, I start to get very nauseous and I dry heave a little. But I'll take it! I also got gaviscon on the recommendation of my family doctor, so we'll see if that helps.

The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I haven't been taking my prenatal regularly. I've missed it probably 4-5 times in the last 5 weeks. Is this ok? A lot of people I speak to tell me it's fine but I'm hardly eating a proper nutritious diet with all the sickness so I'm worried that I'm harming my baby. My prenatal is a horse pill and I got materna (apparently a really popular prenatal in Canada) but it's just as large and it makes me feel awful.

You can do two kids gummy/chewable vitamins a day instead of a prenatal.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
This. Prenatal funnies are amazing. I wish I had know they existed during first trimester - would have made my tummy happier.

It's D-Day! AKA patients asking me even more insistently why I am still at work. Though, the nesting thing kicked in hard the last two nights, so that might be a sign. As long as kiddo lets me catch the early showing of Anchorman 2 as soon as I get done with work in a couple hours - then I will be happy.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

superbelch posted:

You can do two kids gummy/chewable vitamins a day instead of a prenatal.

I have Flintstones chewables. I'll do that. I can't find any prenatal gummies in QC. I know Target has some but they don't carry them in our Targets here. Bah!

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
If you can't stomach prenatals, you can get folic acid by itself. I just took that in the first trimester with both pregnancies since it's the most important.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

skeetied posted:

If you can't stomach prenatals, you can get folic acid by itself. I just took that in the first trimester with both pregnancies since it's the most important.

Forgive my stupid question, but can you get it in pill format like any other vitamin or supplement? Or do you get it by eating certain foods?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

jennyinstereo posted:

Forgive my stupid question, but can you get it in pill format like any other vitamin or supplement? Or do you get it by eating certain foods?

Take the supplement. The body absorbs the synthetic version better than the one that naturally occurs in food, and you'd need to eat way more broccoli and spinach than you could realistically stomach to reach the neccessary level. The fetus is tiny and can get its other nutrients from you, but folic acid is important for preventing birth defects of the spinal cord and the brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

jennyinstereo posted:

You can get it just like any other vitamin. It's usually super cheap, too.