Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Alchenar posted:

Incidentally the wikipedia page on Hart appears to have been vandalised into a sycophantic attack on his critics.

I just read through it...it's a bit...flattering. Particularly the last section, which describes how BLH "graciously" lied in an interview to make himself look better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Squalid posted:

What really interests me is the government history. How the hell do you extend administrative control across territories larger than any European country in only couple decades? It's freaking me out.

Indirect rule. Outsource the low level administration of the colony to local 'chiefs'.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Yeah I kindof got the general idea... I just want some of the colonial particulars. That book looks good, I'm going to check it out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Koramei posted:

Central Asia, during the mid-Bronze Age, pretty rapidly disseminating from there. Their quick adoption and massive spread should really be all you need to know to prove their usefulness.

Cavalry didn't exist during this time- war horses were the product of thousands of years of breeding; the horses you'd get in the Bronze Age were much smaller and more fragile, and chariots were the first step towards actually using them in battle. The image of chariots as heavy platforms thundering into enemy lines is a much later one- from the Iron Age, with the heavy scythed chariots and poo poo. The ones during the Bronze Age were light platforms for skirmishing off of, and more importantly, for shuttling the well-to-do troops to the front lines (and back out when things got messy). Especially in places like Egypt and Mesopotamia (and Central Asia) where the land is mostly flat, they were extremely maneuverable and startlingly quick, but they were used extensively in China too so it's not like they were useless elsewhere.

And actually, I don't know this for sure, but I'd imagine they were considered more agile than cavalry for some time; you get them filling that same role well into the Iron Age, even when actual cavalry started appearing in force, in places like Britain and France. Not to mention Roman chariot races that would persist well into the Middle Ages. Maybe there's something to those I'm missing, but "use fastest thing" sounds like it's half their point to me, so if cavalry were a better alternative I'd imagine they'd have maybe used them? Maybe tradition superseded that.

I guess I just can't picture how they would be useful in a direct combat role. They seem like something you could only ever use if you had really flat terrain to fight on and a really large battlefield (like the middle east). I can't understand how they were useful in Europe and other places because it seems like if there's some rocks in the paddock, or a river, or some trees or something they become pretty much worthless. I don't know anything about chariots which is really why I'm asking.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You don't, really. You coerce local governments, or install your own. Maybe your territory is mostly empty and you just ignore the unprofitable bits like French West Africa. Or maybe, you can divert all your resources into a single area that you can access easily, like the Congo river, rather than the entire territory of the Congo Free State.

There is the (probably false) story about a poll conducted in India after they got their independence. 40% of the polled hadn't even noticed that the British were gone. 30 % hadn't even noticed the British had ever been there.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Slavvy posted:

I guess I just can't picture how they would be useful in a direct combat role. They seem like something you could only ever use if you had really flat terrain to fight on and a really large battlefield (like the middle east). I can't understand how they were useful in Europe and other places because it seems like if there's some rocks in the paddock, or a river, or some trees or something they become pretty much worthless. I don't know anything about chariots which is really why I'm asking.

There preparation and scouting of the battlefield comes handy. Darius chose the battlefield at Gaugamela so that he could use his chariots to their fullest effect, and then he sent his men to further flatten the terrain before the Greeks would arrive.

But I don't know if chariots were used in western Europe quite in the same manner or scale. Probably not.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ArchangeI posted:

There is the (probably false) story about a poll conducted in India after they got their independence. 40% of the polled hadn't even noticed that the British were gone. 30 % hadn't even noticed the British had ever been there.

Reminds me of folks in remote parts of Afghanistan who either had no clue what the Twin Towers were or they thought that the Americans were the Soviets come back for more.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

statim posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Wars-Imperial-Conquest-Africa-1830-1914/dp/0253211786

A bit more on the academic side of things and not a very narrative history but decent writing and a compact overview of most of the highlights such as the First Italo-Ethiopian war aka the Battle of Adwa, aka modern Italy's ur-military gently caress up. Also lots of really neat steamboat river campaigns by the French.

Also was pretty hilarious to find out that the local French military types in Senegal had figured out the same thing that the Kwantung Army would but back in the 1850s. That is:
1. Cook up a border incident requiring immediate retaliation
2. Use as pretext to get around parent governments status quo policy
3. Wrap selves in flag and present the politicos back home with a fait accomplis and dare them to return the territory the army has bled for.

And oh yeah 4. Bite off way more then they could chew and scream for reinforcements until the whole frontier is a giant, bloody, resource suck on the mother country

An excellent specific study of a colonial conflict is The Kaiser's Holocaust, about the decimation of the Herero and Nama people in what is now Namibia. Kwantung Army hijinks are plentiful, and its an excellent read anyways for any WW1/WW2 buff.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8250985-the-kaiser-s-holocaust

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Frostwerks posted:

Reminds me of folks in remote parts of Afghanistan who either had no clue what the Twin Towers were or they thought that the Americans were the Soviets come back for more.

I've read one account of a British soldier on tour in Afghanistan who ended up explaining to the villagers he was posted near to that goats would only produce milk within x years of calving and was astonished they didn't have this basic understanding of cattle farming.

It's hard to comprehend just how knowledge-poor some parts of the world are.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Slavvy posted:

One thing you should remember is that at that historically it was actually pretty difficult to make a battle happen unless both sides opted in. If an enemy army approached you looking to fight, and you didn't want to, it was very possible to just refuse battle and move away. I think the most famous use of this was the Fabian Strategy used by Rome during Hannibal's invasion of Italy. The Roman general Fabius Maximus refused to commit his armies to pitched battle, and instead he just followed Hannibal's army around. If Hannibal moved away from a source of supply, they scooted up to cut him off from it. If he sent out foraging parties, Fabius raided them. If Hannibal tried to force a field battle, Fabius just said "nope" and retreated into the nearest rough terrain, where Hannibal's army was at a disadvantage against the Roman infantry. This actually worked pretty well but was very politically unpopular. There are also other cases where armies sat around looking at each other across short distances for several days deciding whether or not to attack. The Battle of Marathon is an example of that.

So unless the enemy army was cutting you off from something, like your water supply, or was threatening to grab something important like a city you really wanted to keep, it was actually possible to just decline to fight. The enemy wants to fight in a stony field where you can't use chariots? Just decline to fight, and then tomorrow maybe you can offer battle in a better spot.

Anyway, the tactical utility of a chariot is that under the right conditions it's highly mobile and provides a stable platform for the use of ranged weapons like javelins and bows. You have two guys, one to drive and one to shoot, so your chariots can just wheel around back and forth in front of enemy infantry chewing them up, and the infantry will never catch them. The use of chariots in battle eventually declined because more effective cavalry began appearing on the battlefield, who were fast enough to catch the chariots and much more agile and effective in close-in fighting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Alchenar posted:

I've read one account of a British soldier on tour in Afghanistan who ended up explaining to the villagers he was posted near to that goats would only produce milk within x years of calving and was astonished they didn't have this basic understanding of cattle farming.

Goats aren't cattle :ssh:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Frostwerks posted:

My personal favorite version of this story is Chinese peasants asking red guards in the sixties who the current son of heaven was.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Raskolnikov38 posted:

My personal favorite version of this story is Chinese peasants asking red guards in the sixties who the current son of heaven was.

Well? Who was it?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Pu Yi was still alive until 1967 so I guess him.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Frostwerks posted:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424053111904103404576556531604340742

The Wall Street Journal posted:

Many Afghans Shrug at 'This Event Foreigners Call 9/11'

By YAROSLAV TROFIMOV
September 8, 2011

KABUL—The Sept. 11 attacks that triggered the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan also uprooted 16-year-old Abdul Ghattar from his village in war-torn Helmand province, bringing him to a desolate refugee camp on the edge of Kabul.

Yet Mr. Ghattar stared blankly when asked whether he knew about al Qaeda's strike on the U.S., launched a decade ago from Afghan soil.

"Never heard of it," he shrugged as he lined up for water at the camp's well, which serves thousands of fellow refugees. "I have no idea why the Americans are in my country."

In a nearby tent that is the camp's school, his teacher, 22-year-old Mullah Said Nabi Agha, didn't fare much better. He said he has never seen the iconic image of the Twin Towers burning. He was vaguely aware that some kind of explosion had occurred in America.

"I was a child when it happened, and now I am an adult, and the Americans are still here," Mr. Agha said. "I think the Americans did it themselves, so they could invade Afghanistan."

The teacher's view is by no means rare here. The events of Sept. 11, 2001, of course, are known to educated Afghans, and to many residents of big cities. But that isn't always the case elsewhere in a predominantly rural country where 42% of the population is under the age of 14, and 72% of adults are illiterate. With few villages reached by television or electricity, news here is largely spread by word of mouth.‬

Such opinions highlight a contrast between American and Afghan perspectives on the longest foreign war in U.S. history, one that killed thousands of Afghans and, at the latest count, claimed the lives of 1,760 U.S. troops.

They also explain the Taliban's ability to rally popular support—in part by seizing the narrative to portray the war not as one triggered by America's need for self-defense, but as one of colonial aggression by infidels lusting for Afghanistan's riches.

"The Islamic Emirate wages a lawful struggle for the defense of its religion, country and soil," the Taliban's leader, Mullah Mohammed Omar, told Afghans last month on the occasion of the Islamic Eid al-Fitr holiday.

According to a survey of 15- to 30-year-old men in the two southern provinces where President Barack Obama sent the bulk of American surge troops, 92% of respondents said they didn't know about "this event which the foreigners call 9/11" after being read a three-paragraph description of the attacks.

"Nobody explained to them the 9/11 story—and it's hard to win the hearts and minds of the fighting-age males in Helmand if they don't even know why the foreigners are here," says Norine MacDonald, president of the International Council on Security and Development, the think tank that carried out the survey of 1,000 Afghan men in eight districts of Kandahar and Helmand. "There is a vacuum—and it's being filled by al Qaeda and Taliban propaganda claiming that we are here to destroy Islam."

Some Afghans who do know about the events of 2001 often subscribe to conspiracy theories, imported from Pakistan and Iran, that have long lost currency even in the Middle East.

Maulvi Abdulaziz Mujahed, an imam at Kabul's Takbir mosque who served as chairman of the Kabul provincial council in 2008 to 2009, said in a recent interview that the Sept. 11 attacks were a Jewish conspiracy, a view he says was reinforced by his 2009 visit to New York's Ground Zero.

"I saw the photos of all those who have been killed in the attacks, and I saw people bring flowers for their loved ones. But I couldn't find a single Jew among them," Mr. Mujahed said. "The superpowers wanted a good pretext to invade Afghanistan, and these attacks provided it."

Abdul Hakim Mujahid, the deputy chairman of the Afghan government's High Peace Council, a body created to negotiate a peaceful solution to the war, was in New York when the two jets struck the Twin Towers—in his capacity as the Taliban regime's semi-official envoy to the U.S. and the United Nations.

While Mr. Mujahid says he was saddened by the attacks, he says he still doesn't believe al Qaeda was responsible for "the unfortunate incident."

"After 9/11, the whole world rushed to Afghanistan, and the people of Afghanistan were under the illusion that everything would be changed: The roads would be paved black, the houses would be painted white, the infrastructure rebuilt and the industries established," he says. "But gradually these expectations have come down, and now have reached the point of zero. The people are asking: When will the foreigners finally leave?"

Not every Afghan subscribes to the conspiracy theories or wants the Americans to leave. At the campus of Kabul University, where young women and men mix in a setting unimaginable under Taliban rule, students said in interviews they were fully aware of the Sept. 11 attacks and saw the U.S. invasion as bringing benefits to Afghanistan. Many of them were ethnic Tajiks and Uzbeks from the country's north—ethnic minorities discriminated against under the rule of the Taliban.

"Under the Taliban, Afghanistan was a terrorist haven, nobody could leave their house, and I wouldn't have been able to attend university," says Nasser Hasrab, a 20-year-old literature student from the northern Faryab province. "After the Soviets left we had a civil war, and I am afraid that if the Americans leave, the same would happen again."

Across town in the Herat restaurant—once the favorite hangout of Taliban leaders and al Qaeda militants—owner Abdulazim Niyazi, dressed in a Polo shirt and clutching a Samsung cellphone, pondered the momentous change of the past decade.

Because TV was banned under the Taliban, there was no particular celebration or commotion in the restaurant on Sept. 11, 2001, he said. Since then, Mr. Niyazi complained, boomtown Kabul has been swamped with corruption, prostitution and vice. More importantly, his business has soured.

"Under the Taliban, we were the only place," he said. "Now, Kabul is filled with restaurants."

—Habib Khan Totakhil contributed to this article.

Things like this are very interesting and if anyone else has something similar, please share.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Pu Yi was still alive until 1967 so I guess him.

You missed a golden opportunity to answer Hu was it. But I guess then fun haters would start screaming about counterfactual history.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Just stumbled on this on wikipedia, forgive the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Fox

quote:

The Germans were in the streets and attacking in strength, greatly outnumbering the small group of American soldiers. Fox radioed in to have the artillery fire adjusted closer to his position, then radioed again to have the shelling moved even closer. The soldier receiving the message was stunned, for that would bring the deadly fire right on top of Fox’s position; there was no way he would survive. When Fox was told this, he replied, “Fire it.” This shelling delayed the German advance until other units could reorganize to repel the attack.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

Goats aren't cattle :ssh:

Alchenar posted:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I read about a young lieutenant and her brilliant idea to shoot some Germans with indirect MG fire today. Sadly, the article leaves out how effective this measure was. Is this a thing that someone else has ever tried?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There was mention of that tactic back in WWI: Machine guns would be fired at high angles to arc the bullets and essentially make it behave as indirect fire with obviously a lot less area-of-effect compared to artillery but IIRC could be adjusted faster. This was used to good effect by the Canadians in Vimy Ridge and then in Passchendaele and even later as they perfected the use of the creeping barrage.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I know the Vickers was used indirectly to hit trenches with plunging fire.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ensign Expendable posted:

I read about a young lieutenant and her brilliant idea to shoot some Germans with indirect MG fire today. Sadly, the article leaves out how effective this measure was. Is this a thing that someone else has ever tried?

Yes, my pre-WW2 Finnish infantry manual has ballistic tables for indirect Maxim fire, for example. It goes into just as much detail as any indirect fire instructions, including air pressure and temperature. I don't know of any specific instances where it was done or to what effect during WW2, it smacks as more of a WW1 thing to me.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
I remember reading that they used .50 cals (mounted on halftracks in a quad mount) in a similar way in Korea, though then again I've also heard they used just about every weapon possible for indirect fire there (like tanks) since it was so hilly and largely static warfare.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Finns trained troops to use MGs in indirect fire before and during early WWII, probaly because the volunteers in the German army had been taught it in WWI, and because Finnish army didn't have lots of artillery or mortars. There were tables that told what what kind of angle you should point your gun to hit your target at x meters. After quick googling I found that it was used as lately as 1941 at Hanko front, and I've heard that it had some use in attacking encirclements in Winter War. Now that I think of it, the use in Hanko might have been because it was difficult to move heavier weapons by boats in the archipelago. I don't think that indirect fire by MGs killed or wounded many, but it may have had some suppressing effect.

Why did she want want to shoot Germans today :)?

edit: ^^^^ :argh:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

edit: ^^^^ :argh:
Wait...how many Finns do we have here, anyway?

:tinfoil:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Forget machine guns, why do you think pretty much every infantry rifle from the beginning of the smokeless powder period until at least the 1920s has tangent sights that go waaaaaaay out to 2000+ yards? They weren't planning on engaging point targets at that range, the idea was to have a whole platoon or whatever sight in on some landmark in the vicinity of the area they wanted covered, and then let loose. I'm not saying it would've been effective (way less effective than machine guns, obviously) but it was definitely a thing.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

a travelling HEGEL posted:

Wait...how many Finns do we have here, anyway?

:tinfoil:

Just one, but it's the dead of winter :)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Soviet Union. With enough men you can brute force any problem!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

There are stories of US Army units in the Pacific using .30 cal M1919s for indirect fire at ranges out to a mile. So it wasn't just a Finnish or a British thing.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

iyaayas01 posted:

Forget machine guns, why do you think pretty much every infantry rifle from the beginning of the smokeless powder period until at least the 1920s has tangent sights that go waaaaaaay out to 2000+ yards? They weren't planning on engaging point targets at that range, the idea was to have a whole platoon or whatever sight in on some landmark in the vicinity of the area they wanted covered, and then let loose. I'm not saying it would've been effective (way less effective than machine guns, obviously) but it was definitely a thing.

Oh, not 2000 yards. The trick in this case was that the Germans were 500 metres away, but in a trench.

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

That's all awesome; thanks. Do you have any recommendations for a good biography of Wallenstein?

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Due to school, I had to delay my Christmas shopping a bit, but I usually get my father one or more military history books each Christmas. He shares my interest, and being retired, has far more time to read than I. He's enjoyed a couple books that I found out about via this thread in past years (like Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors).

Anyway, can anyone recommend any good books on the Ghost Army?

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

jaegerx posted:

Just stumbled on this on wikipedia, forgive the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Fox

I read somewhere that it was common for forward observers in WWII to call fire on their own position if the situation was desperate. Does anyone else remember such occasion or is this just a myth?

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

Pyle posted:

I read somewhere that it was common for forward observers in WWII to call fire on their own position if the situation was desperate. Does anyone else remember such occasion or is this just a myth?

My grandfather was a forward artillery observer in WWII, and in his stories, he did indeed call fire down on his position (and then ran back aways) a couple times. He also traded his Garand for his buddy's Thompson, but traded back after a few days because "all the bullets were too drat heavy".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pyle posted:

I remember books making mention of this also being done by Germans and Soviets during the fighting over Stalingrad.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Bacarruda posted:

There are stories of US Army units in the Pacific using .30 cal M1919s for indirect fire at ranges out to a mile. So it wasn't just a Finnish or a British thing.

It's still used now, in the british army we have the GPMG SF (sustained fire) which is mounted on a tripod and it's used as an area effect weapon out to about 1800m.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Alchenar posted:

The Soviet Union. With enough men you can brute force any problem!

This seems a very phallic thing.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

tweekinator posted:

That's all awesome; thanks. Do you have any recommendations for a good biography of Wallenstein?

:getin:

(There's an English version, but it's abridged or something. Weeeeeak.)

Edit: Meanwhile, here's a song his employees sang. I posted it earlier, but now I've translated it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORNOFGZgi2w

Trum, trum, terum tum tum,
the landsknechts are trekking through the country
with banging and grumbling of drums
The flutes skirl,
The people sing,
The flags flap,
There's cheering and noise.

Hei, hei, heißa juchei,
The Wallensteiners are going past!
Hei, hei, heißa juchei,
with playing and war-clamor.

Trum, trum, terum tum tum.

And again go the drums.
They never get tired--they never shut up.
They menaced the Swedes in a bloody fight,
We hear them while we're dying,
We hear them when we win.

Hei, hei, heißa juchei...

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 17, 2013

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Capn Jobe posted:

Due to school, I had to delay my Christmas shopping a bit, but I usually get my father one or more military history books each Christmas. He shares my interest, and being retired, has far more time to read than I. He's enjoyed a couple books that I found out about via this thread in past years (like Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors).

Anyway, can anyone recommend any good books on the Ghost Army?

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Soldiers-Story-Heroic-Deception/dp/0525946640

This is worth a read. The unit is this great collection of random artists, musicians, and actors (Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. was a member of the unit) that roll around coming up with insane, yet effective schemes to trick Nazis. The book isn't exactly cutting-edge historiography but it's pretty entertaining. Would make a pretty great movie.

warcake posted:

It's still used now, in the british army we have the GPMG SF (sustained fire) which is mounted on a tripod and it's used as an area effect weapon out to about 1800m.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This is a thing of beauty :allears:

• Locked thread