Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

brave new world was more like a commentary on what an actual 'utopia' would necessarily have to be

which i guess is kind of what dystopia is but idk

most utopias don't try to address the main challenge of a utopia which is that you need to eliminate 90% of the existing population (with all their hosed up beliefs etc) to get there, BNW at least tries to show the mechanism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
mars trilogy is good for actually showing the mechanism of creating a better society as well.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Jet Age posted:

mars trilogy is good for actually showing the mechanism of creating a better society as well.

yeah if u haven't read it then u hosed up and should srsly re-evaluate ur life decisions

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

angry_keebler posted:

the problem with the culture books is they are essentialy optimistic but reality is nothing but a series of increasingly depressing tragedies and good science fiction should make an effort to describe what the future could plausibly be like so everything in the future should probably just be a post industrial soft police state where nobody but the ultra wealthy get to experience the benefits of technology and ordinary people are menial laborers with no hope of nor capacity to develop the desire for meaningful revolution

a brave new world meets they live mixed with weird alex jones satanic elite conspiracies

and yet people say "elysium" was too heavy-handed

Jet Age posted:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2013/12/kim-stanley-robinson-our-greatest-political-novelist.html

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

good article, I like it when someone way more articulate than me can explain my point of view on my behalf

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

ol qwerty bastard posted:

and yet people say "elysium" was too heavy-handed

put the high tech happy colony in hawaii or a big bubble city in the middle of a desert and when matt damon tries to get help from the smuggler guy it turns out the smuggler is really just a member of the secret police and they arrest and torture matt damon for the entirety of act 2 and then they execute him in a dingy basement in act 3 and then the secret police laugh about it and have some beers and go home to their families where they are happy and rich and cool the end

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

angry_keebler posted:

put the high tech happy colony in hawaii or a big bubble city in the middle of a desert and when matt damon tries to get help from the smuggler guy it turns out the smuggler is really just a member of the secret police and they arrest and torture matt damon for the entirety of act 2 and then they execute him in a dingy basement in act 3 and then the secret police laugh about it and have some beers and go home to their families where they are happy and rich and cool the end

that's not scifi though that's pretty much what illegal immigrants face when they try to enter the states

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

angry_keebler posted:

ted cruz 2016 campaign biofilm lookin good

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

is there a sci-fi story where an advanced alien who arrives and starts imposing its will on earth in terrifying and incomprehensible ways turns out to be basically a frat boy going "cow-tipping?" I'm sure its like 4 Star Trek episodes but did I read a short story about this or imagine it?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Pwnstar posted:

is there a sci-fi story where an advanced alien who arrives and starts imposing its will on earth in terrifying and incomprehensible ways turns out to be basically a frat boy going "cow-tipping?" I'm sure its like 4 Star Trek episodes but did I read a short story about this or imagine it?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Pwnstar posted:

i think there was an episode of star trek where cue got fired from the god club for that

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sniep posted:

i think there was an episode of star trek where cue got fired from the god club for that

Sniep posted:

star trek where cue got fired

Sniep posted:

star trek … cue

shameful

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
queue is my favorite star trak charcetr

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
sorry then, queue

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
que?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

syscall girl posted:

unleash the unicorn, stop reading banks and check that out

Just keep reading banks, you'll get to the end anyway.

:smith:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

inception was not a terrible movie pls dont fall into the cd trap of amazing or poo poo. it could have been better yeah but it was pretty and the practical effects made it rad

also yeah some firey loins for cillian murphy

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

joseph gordon-levitt :allears:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i liked inception but it really didn't do much with the dream premise besides the spinning room and the one time someone used an impossible staircase

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

how about if someone says that a movie is irredeemable crap they also have to give a movie that they think is pretty good in exchange so people can make fun of their lovely taste in cinema

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Glorgnole posted:

how about if someone says that a movie is irredeemable crap they also have to give a movie that they think is pretty good in exchange so people can make fun of their lovely taste in cinema
same but it also has to be at least vaguely analogous

"inception is loving garbage, it can't even lick the boots of nightmare on elm street 3: dream warriors"

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
how bout we give films awards for participation.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jet Age posted:

most utopias don't try to address the main challenge of a utopia which is that you need to eliminate 90% of the existing population (with all their hosed up beliefs etc) to get there, BNW at least tries to show the mechanism

i believe that stabilizing the human population to 10% of what it is now is the only way human civilization as we know it will survive the next 100 years

i also believe there is no way to make this happen in a fair, just, and voluntary fashion so poo poo is going to get real bad (but hopefully not in my lifetime) unless we have a global pandemic or supervolcano or something more likely such as global crop failures due to global warming to make the hard choices for us (again hopefully not in my lifetime) but then that's likely to knock us back into the dark ages rather than stabilizing our population and resource consumption

i'm also afraid that powerful individuals leading small but capable groups of people will apply themselves to doing something about this at some point and a scenario like 12 monkeys (sans time travel) or oryx & crake is going to happen

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

i believe that stabilizing the human population to 10% of what it is now is the only way human civilization as we know it will survive the next 100 years

i also believe there is no way to make this happen in a fair, just, and voluntary fashion so poo poo is going to get real bad (but hopefully not in my lifetime) unless we have a global pandemic or supervolcano or something more likely such as global crop failures due to global warming to make the hard choices for us (again hopefully not in my lifetime) but then that's likely to knock us back into the dark ages rather than stabilizing our population and resource consumption

i'm also afraid that powerful individuals leading small but capable groups of people will apply themselves to doing something about this at some point and a scenario like 12 monkeys (sans time travel) or oryx & crake is going to happen

how about we minimize the loss of humanity's knowledge in some future post-megadisaster scenario by gathering a bunch of the smartest and most knowledgeable people into an enclave of civilization where they can maintain our way of life supported by technology and rationality and whatnot. meanwhile all the proles left outside in the barbaric remnants of civilization can be organized, supervised and led by agents of the enlightened tech enclave inserted into positions of power (ensuring that lots of humans are kept alive without requiring too many resources), while something really durable and pervasive (like a synthetic religion) could serve to focus them towards a common goal and make sure they don't starve and such, maybe reinforced by having something really big and miraculous happen every once in a while to keep the believers on their toes, like if a giant flying head came down from the heavens every once in a while to encourage them to keep their population regulated and also to spew guns and ammunition all over the place

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
too risky, let's just make cool smart robots that will survive our inevitable extinction :)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
i once worked in a video store with some absolute moron who would unironically recommend zardoz to innocent folk looking for a nice thriller to watch on a sunday

he would also foist the 9/11 conspiracy documentary loose change on to unsuspecting normies

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Amethyst posted:

absolute moron

Amethyst posted:

unironically recommend zardoz
more like oxymoron, zardoz owns :hehe:

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
started reading Use of weapons, the opening reads like it was written by a tvtroper.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Amethyst posted:

he would also foist the 9/11 conspiracy documentary loose change on to unsuspecting normies

i guess this is on netflix now because my parents watched this a few days ago and were telling me about it :ughh:

"it's a documentary, it can't be wrong!"

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

every so often i remember that nice couple who went home with loose change and feel guilty that i didn't stop them

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Amethyst posted:

i once worked in a video store with some absolute moron who would unironically recommend zardoz to innocent folk looking for a nice thriller to watch on a sunday

are you sure he just wasnt loving with people because its hilarious?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Amethyst posted:

is your name Dante

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Gus Hobbleton posted:

are you sure he just wasnt loving with people because its hilarious?

definitely not. he was a 39 year old aspiring MMA fighter who spent his days giving his 19 year old co-workers sage advice on how the world really works

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
blue stymie's not even supposed to be posting today!!!

or ever

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I watched robot and frank. it was pretty good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i want a futute where i have a cool robot to drive around in on mars

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I want to be a robot neurosurgeon with the strength of five gorillas

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kicks forts posted:

started reading Use of weapons, the opening reads like it was written by a tvtroper.

yeah, some of his action stuff is dated like whoa

then again, that was published 23 years ago, and he'd written a version of use of weapons as early as 1974

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

brave new world didn't really "gel" as a dystopia. everyone is living pretty happy lives and poo poo is fine

the thing about injecting alcohol to limit IQ was a bit squee, but by and large as the self-insertion character wanders around, the inhabitants of the BNW seem pretty chill

thats pretty much the point, its actually a really hosed up place but everyone is happy with it for some reason so theres no change

people by nature arent going to bother with change when theyre able to be fat, lazy, and content

• Locked thread