Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Try blanching a couple pieces and see if they're as salty as just pan frying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

atothesquiz posted:

Try blanching a couple pieces and see if they're as salty as just pan frying them.

Blanching for five minutes helped enormously, thank you! I think for this batch I'll actually keep the rashers fairly roughly cut with a kitchen knife -- having the bacon be thick-cut and chewy like a gammon steak turned out to be pretty nice.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Whybird posted:

Blanching for five minutes helped enormously, thank you! I think for this batch I'll actually keep the rashers fairly roughly cut with a kitchen knife -- having the bacon be thick-cut and chewy like a gammon steak turned out to be pretty nice.

No problem! I love thick slabs for BLTs

I actually just pick up about 17 pounds of belly today. Going to make a regular batch, a "polish spice" batch. and some cinnamon / chili pepper batch. The cinn/chili batch will be upped a notch. Last time I couldn't even tell there was chili powder in there.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Juat popped 1.7kg pork belly in the fridge, used the OP ruhlman spice mix, with maple syrup. :) (Bay leaves did not crumble well, too fresh...)

e: is there a prescribed way to grate nutmeg on a microplane that doesn't make me fear losing fingertips?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never injured myself on a micro plane, despite scraping it with my hand many times. It doesn't cut like a regular grater or shredder does.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I've taken chunks out of my fingernails and knuckles with my microplane.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Rust Martialis posted:

Juat popped 1.7kg pork belly in the fridge, used the OP ruhlman spice mix, with maple syrup. :) (Bay leaves did not crumble well, too fresh...)

e: is there a prescribed way to grate nutmeg on a microplane that doesn't make me fear losing fingertips?

Kevlar gloves, also what i use on my mandolin

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just go slowly

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Salami:

I let them dry too long/didn't humidify my drying chamber, so they ended up being the shriveled little things you see there. Still delicious though, and very spicy. My wife and I are gonna stuff another batch today, this time in beef middles so they won't be so tiny. The little ones were intended as stocking stuffers so they'll still work for that.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Finally made bacon. It's easy and I would have done it before but I was having a hard time finding a good source of bellies. I finally found one, so here's some maple-pepper bacon:

I used the Ruhlman basic dry cure and added more pepper and some maple syrup. Cured for 9 days (too long, gonna have to blanch it) and then hot-smoked for about three and a half hours.

edit: I left it in the cure way too long cuz I was out on the range training my dudes to shoot brown babies inside houses, so I guess I'll have to blanch it before frying. The flavor's great, but just too salty.

Martello fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 9, 2013

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
Cross post from general discussion :

Scaling help?

I need to make 285 servings of duck rilletes and 185 servings of pork rilletes but am having a tough time scaling the recipes I have found.

It seems I would need between 55 and 75 pounds of duck and between 40 and 50 pounds of pork? Do these numbers seem right? I am aiming for about 2 to 3 ounces per person.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Martello posted:

edit: I left it in the cure way too long cuz I was out on the range training my dudes to shoot brown babies inside houses, so I guess I'll have to blanch it before frying. The flavor's great, but just too salty.

In case you didn't do this last time, after you take it out of the cure, rinse it thoroughly and slice off a bit and fry it up. If it's too salty, soak the belly in water for awhile and then fry up another piece.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 10, 2013

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

atothesquiz posted:

In case you didn't do this last time, after you take it out of the cure, rinse it thoroughly and slice off a bit and fry it up. If it's too salty, soak the belly in water for awhile and then fry up another piece.

Good idea, I'll try that next time.

Big salami:

I'll watch them closer this time to make sure they don't overdry. I also have a humidfier on underneath them set on medium-low. Humidity is 45 percent and rising.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

When making Bacon do people generally leave the skin on or take it off? I've heard both just curious what people do.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Aramoro posted:

When making Bacon do people generally leave the skin on or take it off? I've heard both just curious what people do.

The first time I ever made bacon it was with the skin on and it was fine. I smoked it with the skin on as well.

After the smoke, the skin pretty much fell off and gave it to my mother to use for soups.

Every batch after that I've bought skinless, mainly because it was the only option at the particular place I go to now. I will probably stick with skinless because I probably wouldn't use the skin afterwards. at that point it's just wasted weight that I'm paying for.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

beefnchedda posted:

Cross post from general discussion :

Scaling help?

I need to make 285 servings of duck rilletes and 185 servings of pork rilletes but am having a tough time scaling the recipes I have found.

It seems I would need between 55 and 75 pounds of duck and between 40 and 50 pounds of pork? Do these numbers seem right? I am aiming for about 2 to 3 ounces per person.

So 3 oz is roughly 85 grams. you can get on average 125 grams of confit meat from a single duck leg quarter. You need 24,225 grams to do 285 3 oz servings, so 194 average duck legs (53 pounds of meat). So I would do at least 75 to take into account weight of the bone. Have fun making a boatload of confit though! Sounds delicious.

As for pork you are right on the money weight wise.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So 3 oz is roughly 85 grams. you can get on average 125 grams of confit meat from a single duck leg quarter. You need 24,225 grams to do 285 3 oz servings, so 194 average duck legs (53 pounds of meat). So I would do at least 75 to take into account weight of the bone. Have fun making a boatload of confit though! Sounds delicious.

As for pork you are right on the money weight wise.

I love the math of scaling this up. I am now trying to imagine making more than 15 pounds of meat/anything at a time barring a large turkey or a pig roast or something. I LOVE it.

Fake edit: I have made a lot of bacon before... but this seems different for some special reason

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Are forcemeat questions OK here? I have a hankering for some pate, but what little I can find here in China is mad expensive. I've been eying the pork livers at the market lately, wondering how I could transform them into pate or maybe braunschweiger. Does anyone have any recipes or references they can point me to?

Also, when making pate, is there any reliable subsitute for cream? Like say, milk with some melted butter added to kick up the fat content?

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 12, 2013

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

If you want a quick fix, go order some crystal meat - tender bits of pork suspended in clear jelly. It's good with some black vinegar.

Danish liver paté is made with a béchamel sauce instead of cream, it is very good on rye bread with pickles or butter-fried mushrooms.

Where in China are you? Places like Shanghai usually have a Carrefour to service the cravings of expats.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Sjurygg posted:

If you want a quick fix, go order some crystal meat - tender bits of pork suspended in clear jelly. It's good with some black vinegar.
水晶肉? That's like pork in aspic, right? Sounds pretty good, I'll ask my co-workers about any decent places. Funny thing, I do not care at all for pork knuckle, but by god do I love the gelatin it produces.

Sjurygg posted:

Danish liver paté is made with a béchamel sauce instead of cream, it is very good on rye bread with pickles or butter-fried mushrooms.

Where in China are you? Places like Shanghai usually have a Carrefour to service the cravings of expats.
Bechamel sauce, eh? That's definitely doable. Is this leverpostej, then?

I'm down in Dongguan, and there is a Carrefour nearby. It would definitely be easier to just shut up and buy the little pots of pate they have, but I'm just curious about what it would be like to make my own. Also, I am a cheapskate. :v:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
You can also make rillettes, like the gentleman above was talking about. Its a more countryside version of pate. I use Ruhlman's recipe.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Tupperwarez posted:

Bechamel sauce, eh? That's definitely doable. Is this leverpostej, then?

Go rock out with this: http://mydanishkitchen.com/2012/01/02/leverpostej-danish-liver-pate/

Only thing is you need an oven, of course, which isn't standard equipment everywhere in China.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've put all the bacon I've made that finished curing a few days ago in the freezer because my fridge has broken (even though its above the freezer which works fine weirdly) but I was wondering how long it would realistically last had I not. The inside of the fridge had reached 14C

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Cherry smoked duck speck. It is so goddamn delicious.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Just took my Christmas bacon off the smoker, and fried up a couple of test pieces.

Man, homemade bacon is great.

Canadian Bacon is only at 145F, so it's still smoking away.

Edit: done!

PainBreak fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 13, 2013

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Last night I got home from work before my wife for once, so I made dinner for the first time in a while.

I roasted a spice-rubbed pork loin (cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, red and black pepper, salt, olive oil) and topped it with pieces of my homemade bacon for the last 30 minutes of cooking. I made a bourbon maple butter sauce for it.

Charcuterie is the best thing

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Martello posted:

I made a bourbon maple butter sauce for it.

Go on...

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Does anyone know where I can buy pink curing salt in Canada (Preferably online)? I found a place that sells Morton's Tender Quick but that seems to have very little Sodium Nitrite and Sodium Nitrate.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

Does anyone know where I can buy pink curing salt in Canada (Preferably online)? I found a place that sells Morton's Tender Quick but that seems to have very little Sodium Nitrite and Sodium Nitrate.

amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/D-Q-Curing-Salts-Pink-Salt/dp/B0050IM4MY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387065636&sr=8-1&keywords=curing+salt

This should be good for like A LOT of meat.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

I just tried that one, since I've been trying to find pink salt too, but it won't ship here. I think Amazon.com won't ship any food items over the border.

Edit: Stuffers.com ships from BC and they stock Prague powder and curing salt (6.4% sodium nitrite).
The Sausage Maker sells it in 8oz bags, but it's also very high shipping. ($19 to ship a $6 purchase)

If you're in the Calgary or Toronto areas, Bass Pro Shops carry LEM brand Meat Cure, which seems to be the same as pink curing salt.

Carbon Thief fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 15, 2013

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Carbon Thief posted:

If you're in the Calgary or Toronto areas, Bass Pro Shops carry LEM brand Meat Cure, which seems to be the same as pink curing salt.

I've been to Bass Pro Shops before. I'll try to make a detour next time I'm near there.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

EngineerJoe posted:

I've been to Bass Pro Shops before. I'll try to make a detour next time I'm near there.

https://www.yesgroup.ca in Markham will sell you a kilo of cure #1 for $10. They do wholesale but will sell retail.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 15, 2013

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Sjurygg posted:

Go rock out with this: http://mydanishkitchen.com/2012/01/02/leverpostej-danish-liver-pate/

Only thing is you need an oven, of course, which isn't standard equipment everywhere in China.
So I gave this a shot over the weekend. I cross-checked a few recipes before settling for two parts liver to one part pork fat, and then all the other stuff (sauce, egg, onion, spices).

It turned out pretty good! Tastes nice, just gamey enough. There's a bit of a sweet finish that I'm not too hot about, dunno if that's from the spices or if I put in too much onion. Anyway, it was tasty with some french loaf that I also baked, and even more so with a bit of cheese. I'm thinking about making some grilled cheese sandwiches with a nice layer of this stuff tucked in.

About that sweet-ish finish, though. Any idea what's causing that? Seasoning, onion, or the ratio of liver to fat? What I've got now is really close to being just right. If I can take out that sweet finish, I'm golden.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

I wanna say it was 1 1/3 cup maple syrup, 2/3 cup bourbon (using up a magnum of Maker's), and a half stick of butter. Spiced with a little cinnamon, allspice, and salt. I cooked it down until thick in a small saucepan, and that was it. Pretty drat tasty.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I wrapped some Christmas presents today...

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Is their a nice cheeses thread on here? I have been interested in trying new, nice cheeses and found there are monthly clubs. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I am looking at
1. CheeseMonthClub, which is 91.90 for two months (1.5lbs of 3 cheese per month)
2. Penn Mac's Club which is 90$ + shipping for 3 months (2lbs of 4 cheese per month). History for the 3 months I would get it is
January: Free Range Cheese
Vlaskaas from Holland- Alto Badia from Italy-Rashera Leroy Pyrenees from France.

February: A Taste of France
Comte- Morbier- Istara Chistou- Chevron Goat

March: A Taste of Ireland
Dubliner- Cheddar Vintage- Cahill Porter- Erin Gold

goodness fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 20, 2013

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3534301

The charcuterie thread is a slightly odd place to look for a cheese thread.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
To be fair, nothing goes better with hunks of cured meat then cheese. Most restaurants that offer a "charcuterie" appetizer give you meat and cheese, not just meat.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
That's why I said slightly odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm toying with doing a whiskey/bourbon bacon this weekend. I'm thinking of using Ruhlman's basic dry cure plus some dark brown sugar and maybe some honey. For the whiskey flavor I think I'll marinade the belly in whiskey before hand. Does the alcohol pose any harm or additional challenge to the process? I'm prepared to cook the alcohol out of the whiskey if needed.

If anyone has experience with these ingredients or a proven recipe I'd appreciate it.

• Locked thread