Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

New Concept Hole posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, if you're running Windows in a different language, this box pops up when pressing ctrl+shift. To disable this(For Win7 at least), go to your Region and Language settings > Keyboards and Languages > "Change Keyboards", then over to the, "Advance Key Settings" tab, then click, "Change Key Sequence", and select, "Not Assigned" for both.

That fixed it, cheers!

Also, I'm really liking the new maps (or I'm assuming they're new, I wasn't playing during the previous invasions). The torpedo might functionally just be an elevator but I don't get tired of using it.

Broniki fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
In that case, I should farm for Dakra instead, since I have a Galatine that I use whenever I bring out my Excal.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby

Harrower posted:

Problems with melee:

No multishot.
You are standing next to 3 disrupters and a toxic, why the gently caress would you do that jesus christ?

There are a lot of work arounds to the second problem. Be Rhino, have a trinity spamming bless. Perma invis. No way to get around the first. They should just jack up the damage on melee weapons by a huge amount, but make normal enemies hella punish trying to melee them. Tune them so they are really good against bosses, but kinda worthless for regular mobs. Guns are already kind of useless against most bosses because they spend 90% of the time invulnerable, so they are already 1/3rd of the way into this idea.

My favorite thing about this game is cutting lesser mobs in half though. I think lots of melee weapons (read: everything not Galatine) just need a flat damage boost. Melee should kill most non-heavy enemies instantly; which isn't a problem because you're being shot by his two dozen buddies while you take the time to do it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Diet Lime posted:

My favorite thing about this game is cutting lesser mobs in half though. I think lots of melee weapons (read: everything not Galatine) just need a flat damage boost. Melee should kill most non-heavy enemies instantly; which isn't a problem because you're being shot by his two dozen buddies while you take the time to do it.

You can throw Glaive with a charge attack! Then you're just wasting time instead of wasting time AND getting hit a bunch.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Devor posted:

You can throw Glaive with a charge attack! Then you're just wasting time instead of wasting time AND getting hit a bunch.

A well-modded glaive is really powerful. It's probably the best melee weapon in the game, largely because it isn't one.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Pokeylope posted:

Thanks for the advice.

I noticed today while playing that my zorens no longer fling me across the room. Did they get rid of zoren-coptering? I mean, I saw this coming, but it still hurts.

Did you have Kunai in your hand? Those'll break zorens.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Denzine posted:

Penta owns btw.

owns super hard.
I was only able to try mine a short while ago. Instantly fell in love in the first test run. Penta is a really satisfying weapon to use! Though it seems like the damage rating listed in the arsenal only applies when you directly bean someone with a grenade. The actual explosions are fantastic in presentation and effect.

Get a Penta.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

:sun:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Denzine posted:

Ogris is still a rocket launcher.

Penta owns btw.

owns super hard.

I just got to rank 6 and picked one of those up, it's fantastic. I'm guessing I just stack as much crazy bullshit as I can on it? I've been using shotguns (mostly the Hek, but the Sobek with Tainted Shell is impressing me), but it's a perfect weapon for my Vauban.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

The weird thing about the Penta is it seems to do equal damage to everything in its blast radius. Ogris and Thunderbolt explosions both have falloff, but something right at the edge of a Penta blast takes as much damage as something in the center.

This and the weird bouncing (and the lag problems mentioned) make it pretty dangerous to use, but it's still the best weapon.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

sleeptalker posted:

The weird thing about the Penta is it seems to do equal damage to everything in its blast radius. Ogris and Thunderbolt explosions both have falloff, but something right at the edge of a Penta blast takes as much damage as something in the center.

This and the weird bouncing (and the lag problems mentioned) make it pretty dangerous to use, but it's still the best weapon.

Yeah, I've gibbed myself with it one or twice already, but drat is it satisfying just lobbing a grenade into a group and just exploding everything. Combine with a Nova for explosions everywhere.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So I've heard good things about this game from idle web chatter, but the few major outlets I've seen review this have been pretty harsh. Anyone care to share why these bad reviews are/aren't bullshit and what I should expect if I get into this game?

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

Did you have Kunai in your hand? Those'll break zorens.

As a matter of fact I think I did. That's really strange.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

So I've heard good things about this game from idle web chatter, but the few major outlets I've seen review this have been pretty harsh. Anyone care to share why these bad reviews are/aren't bullshit and what I should expect if I get into this game?

The bad reviews are completely correct. The reason we are all still playing it is that it is Progress Quest x10 coupled with shooting mans, and the shooting mans part is generally pretty satisfying. The thread title is what it is for a reason.

Do be aware though that the experience starting out (which is what the reviewers would be getting) is pretty awful because the game doesn't explain poo poo and decent guns are dependent on having specific mods, though with trading you can ease that a bit with the help of generous goons.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
It's a surprisingly fun game despite extremely poor design decisions. The biggest downside I have is that the PS4 version is really half-assed, especially since U11. They more or less ported all the PC changes without taking into consideration that some of them would render sections of the game unplayable. Despite this, the game is really fun. And if they'd fix the performance issues of the PS4 port, it would be really solid.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Spiritus Nox posted:

Once the shiny coating wore off, you'll find the game to be shallow and lacking. However, the shoot-and-slash portion is very, very fun. It's easy enough to do but at the same time there's a hint of challenge that would keep you falling asleep on the keyboard. The style and presentation is great that it's not boring to look at since nothing else looking like this exists on the market.

It's also buggy and unbalanced but while you may rage and whine at their design choices, they kept churning out new things and attempt to add more meat to the bone that the effort warrants a commendation.

Like I said before: the game is like FPS Bejewelled. Everything about it is shallow and less demanding than Tetris but exploding jewels/spacemans never gets old.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Whoever described Warframe earlier in this thread as video game empty calories was spot on. It's a bad, buggy game with some really asinine design decisions but once you pop you may find it tough to stop.

It deserves almost all of the bad reviews it got and it's also fun to play. That's basically it. The thread title is accurate.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I have a colossal backlog of games and every time I open my steam account I promise myself that I will start dealing with it... Then I see a new alert pop up in warframe and I start playing it forgetting about everything else. It's a vicious cycle

Whenever people ask me why I play it so much I just say "It's a terrible grindfest, but with space ninjas"

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Warframe (along with PSO) is the only obvious skinner box game where I enjoy the core gameplay enough to invest time in it. I can't stick with MMOs but I can stick with this one for 100+ hours because there's still a fun game behind that carrot on a stick.

It's not the earth shattering Vanquish + Gears of War + DMC combo people want it to be, but it's still pretty good. The main problems are the bugs and the alien logic behind some of the design decisions.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is the flux rifle garbage now, seeing as it mainly does slash damage? I did stick corrosive on it but didnt get a chance to try it out against grineer yet.

Also where the hell do I get orikin cells now? I need like 9000 to build mag prime and a few other things.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

bald and fail II posted:

Is the flux rifle garbage now, seeing as it mainly does slash damage? I did stick corrosive on it but didnt get a chance to try it out against grineer yet.

Also where the hell do I get orikin cells now? I need like 9000 to build mag prime and a few other things.

Infested were accidentally/not so accidentally/:de: given greatly-improved resistances to slash damage, so it's not really good anymore.

Do Saturn Survivals for Orokin cells, or just farm Ruk. Lephantis drops them as well.

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

"Godspeed you poor sons of bitches."
It looks like my Sweeper and my Hek can have the same mods in them at the moment. I thought you needed duplicate mods for duplicate weapon types between your sentinel weapon and primary? Was this changed recently, or did I misunderstand this part of the mod system?

edit: never mind, it only tells you it's wrong when you try to get out of the loadout screen. :doh:

FrancisFarterburgr fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 16, 2013

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I love how nobody gets sunk cost about this game anymore.

"I hear this game has problems." "Oh Jesus there's so many we can tell you all about them."

I attribute this to the early adoption and continued use of :de: in clan chat.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I started playing Warframe because it was a free available game on my PS4, and it's surprisingly fun to farm and build things, along with the slash and shoot elements. Yeah I'm getting tired of every single level having the exact same design, but drat if I don't keep playing and wanting to get more gear.

Question: does anyone know when these Jupiter operations will end? I grinded all of those repeat exterminations and I want my credit and formics blueprint rewards :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What are the maps that have pulsing red circles on them? I didn't see any alerts listed for me...

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

seiferguy posted:

I started playing Warframe because it was a free available game on my PS4, and it's surprisingly fun to farm and build things, along with the slash and shoot elements. Yeah I'm getting tired of every single level having the exact same design, but drat if I don't keep playing and wanting to get more gear.

Question: does anyone know when these Jupiter operations will end? I grinded all of those repeat exterminations and I want my credit and formics blueprint rewards :(

Enough people have to do them before they complete. It's taking about 24 hours per mission.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Fish Noise posted:

I love how nobody gets sunk cost about this game anymore.

"I hear this game has problems." "Oh Jesus there's so many we can tell you all about them."

I attribute this to the early adoption and continued use of :de: in clan chat.

Its easy to bash on the dumb bits of the game, but considering that we've been playing a work-in-progress, it's a bit easier to forgive.

I stopped around the time of the Nyx release and came back to try it a couple of weeks ago and it's a lot of fun. The maps have been getting better and better and the survival/defense modes are ME3 quality.

I also don't consider crafting choice weapons to be under 'progression quest', but that's just me.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Well, the reason I ever stick with anything terrible is because as long as it's monotonically getting better, I don't really see what's so bad given it could be much worse. Sure, it's the same attitude keeping us with bad things around us like our jobs, relationships, and government, but a video game isn't anywhere near as consequential. As much as we're griping about Damage 2.0, it at least removes some of the issues we had where everything higher-level meant "just add more armor piercing" but it does seem like a lateral step amidst the tweaking they seem to do haphazardly.

On the brightside, if the general game got better and they fixed a lot of things, I imagine Warframe could get dangerously addictive with how addictive it is at its basic reptilian core. Perhaps their goal is to not get people burned out like so many have with WoW and MMOs and find something in between and not addressing a lot of the complaints is intentional and strategized.

Mostly I've paid these guys out of warm, fuzzy idealism though.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Feenix posted:

What are the maps that have pulsing red circles on them? I didn't see any alerts listed for me...

Why don't you click on it and find out?

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
PS4 goons: The great clan hall reorganization project of 2013 is underway. The goal is to get the labs moved over near the brand new grandest hall (our new spawn point). After the labs are in place, a dueling room or 2 will also be built nearby. A few of us have been providing tons of mats and I know I'm totally out.

We need tons of ferrite, circuits, & plastids (maybe rubedo too? Can't verify from here). So if you can donate any of those mats to one of the 2 reactors or the water garden/hallway in progress on the right side (If you lock your minimap), it'd be appreciated. (there are a bunch of regular hallways and 2 more gardens in progress but we'll get to those later once the basic area for the new labs is done). Any bit helps.

I wanna get all that stuff built before we upgrade barracks because poo poo will get way too expensive.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
On a weapon, the crit stat is separated into what looks like a multiplier and a percentage. What's the multiplier-esque number mean?

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
Boltor is freaking awesome now with the latest buff. The bullets travel at a good speed now, at least for me personally, that I can aim and shoot targets that are moving, unlike before. It's my weapon of choice in killing Grineer now so I can reserve the Soma for mowing down bosses.

Also, I was actually able to kill the Stalker. Of course, loving pubbies ran off to do whatever the gently caress even after I announced in chat Stalker is after me. I just ran in circles since he kept cancelling my Ash's invis while dropping grenades from the Penta and igniting them on top of him. I was actually surprised he didn't one shot my lvl 20ish Ash, maybe he got a bit of damage nerf? My Corpus allies then showed up and Stalker went into Nyx's bullet sponge power. I stayed the gently caress away while dropping 5 grenades under him. He blew up all of the Corpus then I blew him up. Strangely, he seemed to actually fell down dead instead of going into sitting position and disappearing. Didn't drop Despair BP. Figures.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

necrobobsledder posted:

Well, the reason I ever stick with anything terrible is because as long as it's monotonically getting better, I don't really see what's so bad given it could be much worse. Sure, it's the same attitude keeping us with bad things around us like our jobs, relationships, and government, but a video game isn't anywhere near as consequential. As much as we're griping about Damage 2.0, it at least removes some of the issues we had where everything higher-level meant "just add more armor piercing" but it does seem like a lateral step amidst the tweaking they seem to do haphazardly.

On the brightside, if the general game got better and they fixed a lot of things, I imagine Warframe could get dangerously addictive with how addictive it is at its basic reptilian core. Perhaps their goal is to not get people burned out like so many have with WoW and MMOs and find something in between and not addressing a lot of the complaints is intentional and strategized.

Mostly I've paid these guys out of warm, fuzzy idealism though.

The worst part of the game right now is the new user experience, which irritated the Eurogamer guy to no end. All they really need to do is to swap tilesets and have the newer players fight in all the newer tilesets (Void, Derelict, Tatooine, Jupiter, Hoth).

The tutorial mission starts off in a Void survival 'dream'. You start your missions fighting in the outer planets and you slowly unlock the inner Solar System, ie the lovely tilesets. 4/10 jumps to 7/10 instantly.

It's ironically the least important part of the game to fix because the active players who are spending cash are the ones you have to entertain.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

hooah posted:

On a weapon, the crit stat is separated into what looks like a multiplier and a percentage. What's the multiplier-esque number mean?
The percentage is the chance a given shot will be a crit. The multiplier is what your damage is multiplied by on a crit. So if you have a gun that does 100 damage with a crit chance of 20% and a multiplier of 2.0x, you'll do 200 damage on a crit. Additionally, crits are multiplied by 4x on a headshot (2x normally), so if that same gun crits on a headshot, it would do 800 damage.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Tezzeract posted:

The worst part of the game right now is the new user experience, which irritated the Eurogamer guy to no end. All they really need to do is to swap tilesets and have the newer players fight in all the newer tilesets (Void, Derelict, Tatooine, Jupiter, Hoth).

The tutorial mission starts off in a Void survival 'dream'. You start your missions fighting in the outer planets and you slowly unlock the inner Solar System, ie the lovely tilesets. 4/10 jumps to 7/10 instantly.

It's ironically the least important part of the game to fix because the active players who are spending cash are the ones you have to entertain.

That and stop with stupid poo poo like starting new players with some of the worst and most boring weapons in the game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What should I look at doing to upgrade from a Braton*, buying with credits (not platinum) or getting blueprints and parts and stuff.

*The bought one, not the starter one.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

sleeptalker posted:

That and stop with stupid poo poo like starting new players with some of the worst and most boring weapons in the game.

NO NEW PLAYERS NEED TO EARN THE FUN IN THIS GAME :arghgrandmasterfounder:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Doji Sekushi posted:

PS4 goons: The great clan hall reorganization project of 2013 is underway. The goal is to get the labs moved over near the brand new grandest hall (our new spawn point). After the labs are in place, a dueling room or 2 will also be built nearby. A few of us have been providing tons of mats and I know I'm totally out.

We need tons of ferrite, circuits, & plastids (maybe rubedo too? Can't verify from here). So if you can donate any of those mats to one of the 2 reactors or the water garden/hallway in progress on the right side (If you lock your minimap), it'd be appreciated. (there are a bunch of regular hallways and 2 more gardens in progress but we'll get to those later once the basic area for the new labs is done). Any bit helps.

I wanna get all that stuff built before we upgrade barracks because poo poo will get way too expensive.

It's possible to move rooms? The chem lab got placed in an awkward spot, sadly.

The dojo has grew insanely fast in the past few days. I've been tossing my salvage towards stuff from all my ops runs so I'll do my best to contribute.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI

seiferguy posted:

It's possible to move rooms? The chem lab got placed in an awkward spot, sadly.

The dojo has grew insanely fast in the past few days. I've been tossing my salvage towards stuff from all my ops runs so I'll do my best to contribute.

The other 2 Labs are gonna be moved, yeah. All three are gonna be close to spawn. I just don't wanna knock down Labs without having one ready, that'll leave us lab-less for a day.

Once that garden gets done, the other 2 labs will go on the 2 resulting open nodes, it should happen tonight and will make running to the labs a bit less of a haul.

Doji Sekushi fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I wouldn't have minded the MK-1 Braton being mediocre if the Lato wasn't such an unmitigated piece of poo poo. Seriously, you need a decent starter sidearm.

I think they could improve the starting experience a bit by offering some basic weapons of each type to pick from. Offer an AR, a shotgun and a bow/sniper for primary, a semi-auto pistol, a hand cannon, and throwing weapon for secondary, and hell, keep the Skana, it's a solid enough idea for a starting melee weapon.