Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Most importantly, is there a UI update included - I loved AO story and mechanics wise, but the interface is just painful to come back to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is is possible to level as a froob without doing missions? I played this game back at release and a few times off and on since, but I always hated missions. I know subway->ToTW but that is it really.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I got my enforcer from 1-100 from subway, totw, to foremans. I never really did missions unless I was rolling for something specific and even dailies weren't really done until like level 90 when I realized they were a thing.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Decrepus posted:

Is is possible to level as a froob without doing missions? I played this game back at release and a few times off and on since, but I always hated missions. I know subway->ToTW but that is it really.

Outdoor camps and dailies. Also /join froobchat too. I haven't played in a month or so because froob life is dead as gently caress it seems but there were still some people in there last I was on

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
So ya I re-subbed and fired it up for the first time in years. Stood around for like 30 minutes while i tried to remember how to play the game with my dumb level 75 Atrox Engineer. Gonna try doing the Cyborg Encampment encounter tomorrow.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Alright so it not Cyborg Encampment its Cyborg Barracks, and they weren't kidding in the encounter guide that it is tiny and packed with cyborgs. I ain't going back tell i can get that item that lets my Robot pull more aggro from monsters. I had to spend most of my time running in a circle as 5 cyborgs aggro on me every time my robot attacked.

Edit: OH GOD

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 21, 2013

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Seven months later and I'm still playing. I currently have a froob Advy locked at 60 taking alts from my paid account through totw, and a froob MA at 100 helping in Foremans. I'm leveling up a small team on my paid of another advy, a trader, an engi, and a doc. I have a froob fixer that will probably be my cash character going forward. Two boxing most of the time.

I'm still a huge newb though. No real fancy gear or piles of credits. Mostly logon, run someone through a daily and tinker around for a bit. Goons are welcome to say hi, ask for any help or teamups. The advy is Suelandi, and the MA Heatherlyn; either of those two is usually logged when I'm on. I'm always down for simple exploring the countryside or hunting for an item as well.

I'm finally getting around to some crafting, been making some implants, and dabbling in carbonum armor and some weapons. I might roll missions for a couple of nanos later this evening, Pacific time zone.

If there is any downside to this game for me, its that there is so much stuff you can do, I feel like there are ten different ways I can be spending my time when playing. I guess that's not really a bad thing though.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Best way to make money I found was either playing the market or leveling a paid guy to 150 to farm s10.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
. . . it's actually happening.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=608355

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Well gently caress me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Don't make me reinstall just to look at the grass. :negative:

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
So there is still a chance for them to drag the engine update another couple decades

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I really shouldn't be tempted to resub just for the chance to get into the beta - but I am. drat nostalgia.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

So all they've done in a million years was make things look a little bit better and nothing about balance or new content for froobs?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dizz posted:

So all they've done in a million years was make things look a little bit better and nothing about balance or new content for froobs?

This is sort of a thing I would complain about too except "why is this game still $15 and why aren't all players froobs" would be more accurate

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
It's mostly a bunch of small visual upgrades? I can only hope they've switched to a new renderer because I remember this game running like garbage even on newer hardware.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
They're going to a version of the engine they are using for Age of Conan/The Secret World - not something based on the old engine.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Kenlon posted:

They're going to a version of the engine they are using for Age of Conan/The Secret World - not something based on the old engine.

I think that's something we've always wished for but doesn't ever really seem to be true? The dev logs call the AO engine Cheetah and the Conan engine was DreamWorld

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Because it only runs fast for about 10 seconds?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
The Cheetah engine is an iteration on Dreamworld - they've been talking about it for years.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

So has anyone here actually gotten a beta invite?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Conquistador posted:

This is sort of a thing I would complain about too except "why is this game still $15 and why aren't all players froobs" would be more accurate

TSW type business model would definitely be my favourite. It's basically completely optional to pay, but the bigger content patches cost something like 10-15 bucks. Of course that'd mean they'd get no money from AO because... yeah, when did they put out last meaningful content patch again?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fewd posted:

TSW type business model would definitely be my favourite. It's basically completely optional to pay, but the bigger content patches cost something like 10-15 bucks. Of course that'd mean they'd get no money from AO because... yeah, when did they put out last meaningful content patch again?

Well they've got the engine update (allegedly) coming out which they've been promising for like 6+ years. If they release that and then don't do anything else for AO they'd be insane.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

uPen posted:

Well they've got the engine update (allegedly) coming out which they've been promising for like 6+ years. If they release that and then don't do anything else for AO they'd be insane.

Hope so. I guess it mostly depends on how much more paying people the graphics update manages to draw in. AO team seems so small that I doubt they'll be able to put out content patches with any decent rate if they don't hire at least a few more people.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Fewd posted:

Hope so. I guess it mostly depends on how much more paying people the graphics update manages to draw in. AO team seems so small that I doubt they'll be able to put out content patches with any decent rate if they don't hire at least a few more people.

That's part of why they're unifying the engines between their games - as it stands there's basically only one guy who understands the terrible mess that is the current setup, and can write new stuff that works in it.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe ill end up checkin this out again, i havent logged in since summer

E: is froob life still dead

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
Wow I can't believe it is finally happening. I'm excited and a little optimistic about the graphics overhaul.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Got an email saying if I bought 6 months I'd get bet access in January or if I bought a whole year I'd get across right away.

Who is running this terrible circus? Did they hire some people from EA?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ahmeni posted:

Got an email saying if I bought 6 months I'd get bet access in January or if I bought a whole year I'd get across right away.

Who is running this terrible circus? Did they hire some people from EA?

You'd also get 60 days free and 12 hours of +50% exp! What a deal!

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

You'd also get 60 days free and 12 hours of +50% exp! What a deal!

It's been a while since I played but I think 12 hours of 50% exp would power you directly through subway and totw, ensuring your grind begins riiiiight at that 60-200 hecklers hecklers and oh boy more hecklers point.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
If you know how to power level properly you can level non froobs from 1 to 60 in under 2 hours. You can do a froob from 1 to 60 in about 3 and a half hours. This is without EXP boosts. Most of the time is spent moving characters around. Image below is me powerleveling 3 froobs to 60 in 3 hours 21 minutes and 54 seconds. To do it properly you need a series of twinked NT's and a high level enforcer to mongo everything while you AOE things down. Similar to kite hill tactics. None of my accounts are active but the first NT that is used is either level 4 or level 5 and and can powerlevel to about 15-20 range in 15 minutes.

Nosthula fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 16, 2013

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Tarq posted:

Wow I can't believe it is finally happening. I'm excited and a little optimistic about the graphics overhaul.

Do they have any recent screenshots for the overhaul? The last ones I remember seeing were from like 2010 and it made the game go from a 1999 game to a 2003 game.

I wish they made Anarchy Online 2 instead of Age of Conan or TSW (TSW was alright at least).

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

BadLlama posted:

Do they have any recent screenshots for the overhaul? The last ones I remember seeing were from like 2010 and it made the game go from a 1999 game to a 2003 game.

I wish they made Anarchy Online 2 instead of Age of Conan or TSW (TSW was alright at least).

They sent out 2 images from the beta with the email trying to trick you into paying them $100 to play anarchy online.

The first thing I thought is it looks like Morrowind when you spend a few hours modding in new textures and shaders.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

uPen posted:

They sent out 2 images from the beta with the email trying to trick you into paying them $100 to play anarchy online.

<images>

The first thing I thought is it looks like Morrowind when you spend a few hours modding in new textures and shaders.

Anarchy Online is still my favorite MMO I've ever played but jesus just let the game die already. How are they even making money? I know there's advertising but who's paying to have nobody look at their ads?

That said, if Funcom ever made AO2 I would be willing to give them $1,000 for a lifetime sub with beta access as soon as it was announced.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nosthula posted:

If you know how to power level properly you can level non froobs from 1 to 60 in under 2 hours. You can do a froob from 1 to 60 in about 3 and a half hours. This is without EXP boosts. Most of the time is spent moving characters around. Image below is me powerleveling 3 froobs to 60 in 3 hours 21 minutes and 54 seconds. To do it properly you need a series of twinked NT's and a high level enforcer to mongo everything while you AOE things down. Similar to kite hill tactics. None of my accounts are active but the first NT that is used is either level 4 or level 5 and and can powerlevel to about 15-20 range in 15 minutes.

But the setup for this would take a while so you'd have to meta-twink before you actually twink and oh god it's all come full circle and you're holding a pillow filled with concrete in one hand and your credit card in the other.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ten_twentyfour posted:

That said, if Funcom ever made AO2 I would be willing to give them $1,000 for a lifetime sub with beta access as soon as it was announced.

Yep. Yep yep yep yes please.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

ahmeni posted:

But the setup for this would take a while so you'd have to meta-twink before you actually twink and oh god it's all come full circle and you're holding a pillow filled with concrete in one hand and your credit card in the other.

Your point is valid, but it can all be accomplished with one high level Enfo and a bunch of froob accounts. The twinking involved is rather mild since the NT's never have aggro. I think I spent an hour twinking each of the three NT's needed for 1 to 60 powerleveling. I get tremendous enjoyment out of twinking characters and multiboxing MMO content so setting this up was an enjoyable process.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I wanted to make a totw enforcer powerteam with themed names but I gave up after two. I finished one with QL 75 CM on at level 25, one with the stats for a panther at 60 but then just quit the game. It was a lot of fun but the game just needs to die now.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I keep wanting to reinstall and see if there are any froobs doing anything but the daily missions killed people doing regular missions, which is a drat shame because doing smuggler dailies over and over is boring as gently caress and very pointless.

This summer I even got enough froobs to semi-regularly run mercs and stuff :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

When I was twinking all over ToTw, it was fun helping random people with poo poo they needed. I helped several dudes get their guardian belt and tank armor. Too bad I couldn't solo Nematet or Aztur well enough.

• Locked thread