Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Shaper is my fav

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Just read about this AudioModder VST Bridge for Live and NI Komplete 9. It's a complete (or near to it) import of all NI Komplete Ultimate 9 presets into Live, so they can be navigated within Push like you can in Maschine.

They even put together drum racks for the factory Battery 4 and Maschine kits. (EDIT: Looks like the drum racks are being deprecated in favor of their new "VST racks" which are apparently more seamless.)

Someone put a ton of work into this.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 3, 2013

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
That's awesome. I upgraded to Suite w/ 9 even though I already had Komplete mainly so I'd have the library easily accessible from Push when sketching out tracks, but with this makes Standard + Komplete a much more viable alternative to Suite now for Push owners.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

Just read about this AudioModder VST Bridge for Live and NI Komplete 9. It's a complete (or near to it) import of all NI Komplete Ultimate 9 presets into Live, so they can be navigated within Push like you can in Maschine.

They even put together drum racks for the factory Battery 4 and Maschine kits. (EDIT: Looks like the drum racks are being deprecated in favor of their new "VST racks" which are apparently more seamless.)

Someone put a ton of work into this.

Does it cover the battery 8 drum racks?

Captain Lou
Jun 18, 2004

buenas tardes amigo
I'm working on recreating a sound for fun / to learn about it.

Shed - Boom Room: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAVHFj-hK6g (Ostgut Ton)

Reverb on kick (from 0:00 and throughout).

I'm trying to roughly recreate the kick in this. I care more about the reverb effect on the kick than the actual kick itself. I've been trying for a while but not making much progress: my reverbs always sound too natural, without enough condensed energy, even when playing around with using different unheard sounds to drive the reverb at 100% wet. It seems like it might be two layered reverbs, and the reverbs are heavily processed. But it might also not be a reverb at all, or not primarily - it could be some kind of synthesized sound. Any pointers would help, thanks.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Captain Lou posted:

I'm trying to roughly recreate the kick in this. I care more about the reverb effect on the kick than the actual kick itself. I've been trying for a while but not making much progress: my reverbs always sound too natural, without enough condensed energy, even when playing around with using different unheard sounds to drive the reverb at 100% wet. It seems like it might be two layered reverbs, and the reverbs are heavily processed. But it might also not be a reverb at all, or not primarily - it could be some kind of synthesized sound. Any pointers would help, thanks.

Have you tried loading a reverb and hotswapping the presets? Seems like there could be one that could get you close that way.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It may be helpful to post a clip of how close you've got so far and a description of your recreation process.

Dark techno reverbed kicks are fundamentally very simple: kick & reverb (small room, high diffusion, mostly early reflections, touch of pre-delay, highs EQed out) with some further compression & EQ & saturation added to taste.

Of course, like most things made out of simple ingredients (omelettes, martinis, raw techno), the artistry comes from fine tuning each element's balance and learning how to quickly find the sweet spots where everything interacts just right. This is where the choice of tools can become important as something like Valhalla Vintage Verb exposes just enough controls to ease dialling in a good sound without getting lost in a more complicated tool (e.g. 2C Audio's Aether).

A quick 2 minute knock-up using Vintage Verb: http://tindeck.com/listen/jilt (It's not identical to the Shed example - 'cos I always prefer deeper, dustier sounds ;) - but reducing the early reflection diffusion and raising the low pass EQ cutoff on the verb increases it's metallic nature to get closer.)

Edit: And if you have the hardware, then the non-linear algorithm in most of Alesis's 90s reverb boxes is perfect for getting this sound.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 16, 2013

breaks
May 12, 2001

The main thing is to really EQ the poo poo out of the reverb. Like go absolutely nuts with it and just eliminate everything over 500 or so and everything under 80-100 and see where that gets you. Some distortion/saturation on the reverb can also help and a gate or resampling and manually putting an appropriate amp envelope on there is also not a bad idea.

It's also just pretty dependent on the sound of your kick, you can even experiment with using a different kick for the reverb, etc etc.

Captain Lou
Jun 18, 2004

buenas tardes amigo

dj bobby bieber posted:

Have you tried loading a reverb and hotswapping the presets? Seems like there could be one that could get you close that way.

Yeah and playing a lot with tweaking them myself. Mostly been using ValhallaVintageVerb, ValhallaRoom, and the two built into Ableton (incl convolution). I think there's more processing going on than just a reverb on a kick.

edit: just saw other 2 replies. I'll post some clips of what I've been able to come up with tomorrow, getting late now.

Captain Lou fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 16, 2013

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
This might not be exactly what you are looking for, but for the kick/bass rumble I like to use something other than the kick for the reverb/rumble. A lot of different types of sounds will work, you just need to saturate and filter down to taste. Here is an example of one I'm working on:

https://soundcloud.com/ttinga/bass-rumble/s-kGzro

HornyBoy123
Mar 4, 2005
hay guys, i'm having a bit of trouble with some (time signature?) stuff on a groove i'm working on- i made a default midi liveset for it - it's just one small bit, i was hoping someone could help me out as to why i'm having such a gosh darned time getting a good drum pattern to go with it

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49912/timehelp%20Project.7z

any help at all would be appreciated.. so frustrating

HornyBoy123 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 17, 2013

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
This is a semi-cross post from the How Do I Make Electronic Music thread, but in short, what are your opinions about the Ableton Mastering effects chains? Since I just publish on Soundcloud for fun and don't have any need to send tracks out for professional mastering, I usually use Full Chain Master (Ableton 9) but I always want to improve my sound as much as possible.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm at a level where I can write a bassline, drums, and a melody with a couple effects and make it sound like a vaguely coherent song--basically I know my way around the program a little bit but I want to put some time into learning about reverb, effects, VSTs and making a unique sound. Can anyone recommend tutorials that go beyond 'very basic' without assuming too much extra knowledge?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I just downloaded this free beat selection pack https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/beat-selection/

It came with two audio racks that have a bunch of knobs that let you gently caress things up, but how do you see what the knobs actually control? Don't racks have a bunch of effects tied to them? How do I see them?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Sharzak posted:

I'm at a level where I can write a bassline, drums, and a melody with a couple effects and make it sound like a vaguely coherent song--basically I know my way around the program a little bit but I want to put some time into learning about reverb, effects, VSTs and making a unique sound. Can anyone recommend tutorials that go beyond 'very basic' without assuming too much extra knowledge?

Tom Cosm tutorials taught me so, so much. He's got a solid 10 hour 'digital production' series you can purchase - first hour is free here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix2IErEHa7A - that go pretty in-depth.

Other than that, buy Massive and google up some tutorials on songs/sounds you like.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

magiccarpet posted:

Tom Cosm tutorials taught me so, so much. He's got a solid 10 hour 'digital production' series you can purchase - first hour is free here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix2IErEHa7A - that go pretty in-depth.

Other than that, buy Massive and google up some tutorials on songs/sounds you like.

Yeah Tom Cosm was my entrypoint into learning my way around Ableton. Also DubSpot has a pretty good Youtube channel, as well as Sonic Academy. Tom's course was worth the money, but after that, you can get plenty of great tutorials for free on Youtube.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

ashgromnies posted:

I just downloaded this free beat selection pack https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/beat-selection/

It came with two audio racks that have a bunch of knobs that let you gently caress things up, but how do you see what the knobs actually control? Don't racks have a bunch of effects tied to them? How do I see them?

Haha, devious! Can't download without logging in, but when I login the download button disappears... Well, Sample Magic will have to live without my business!

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Recently, I've been recreating some max stuff I made awhile back into max4live patches. So, here is a little Spectral Delay. I thought I'd share it with the thread. I actually made it before I realized there was already a max spectral delay you can get from one of the packs off the Ableton site. But, with mine you can morph between two patterns with an LFO which can be pretty fun.

Let me know if there is any issues with it :)

e: made a quick demo video

SineRider fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 21, 2013

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

ashgromnies posted:

I just made sure those three were activated on the side. Otherwise, you can also double click on the Chain element and it should open up the chain.

After that, look for the things with green dots on them. Those are controlled by the macro dials, which you can also look at by clicking Map

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Anal Surgery posted:

I just made sure those three were activated on the side. Otherwise, you can also double click on the Chain element and it should open up the chain.

After that, look for the things with green dots on them. Those are controlled by the macro dials, which you can also look at by clicking Map

I don't have those three icons. Do I need Suite or something?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Does anybody know the sysex or MIDI CC values for the locator text variables? I'm trying to send the info back to my Lemur monitor and can't figure it out.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

SineRider posted:

Recently, I've been recreating some max stuff I made awhile back into max4live patches. So, here is a little Spectral Delay. I thought I'd share it with the thread. I actually made it before I realized there was already a max spectral delay you can get from one of the packs off the Ableton site. But, with mine you can morph between two patterns with an LFO which can be pretty fun.

Let me know if there is any issues with it :)

e: made a quick demo video

Excellent patch, having a lot of fun with this. Any thoughts to sync the delay times with tempo divisions?

edit: Upon further examination there is an error in your "SpectralDelay" subpatcher. Your feedback inlet is controlling not only the level of the delay feedback loop, but also the output of the delay line itself. If you put the patch at 100% wet and set feedback to 0, you don't hear any delay.

Here it is with the correction:

Also it would be nice to have finer control over delay times as the get smaller (sub 100ms). I might mod it further...

RivensBitch fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 7, 2014

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

RivensBitch posted:

Excellent patch, having a lot of fun with this. Any thoughts to sync the delay times with tempo divisions?

edit: Upon further examination there is an error in your "SpectralDelay" subpatcher. Your feedback inlet is controlling not only the level of the delay feedback loop, but also the output of the delay line itself. If you put the patch at 100% wet and set feedback to 0, you don't hear any delay.

Here it is with the correction:

Also it would be nice to have finer control over delay times as the get smaller (sub 100ms). I might mod it further...

Thanks, glad you enjoy it! I definitely want to expand it some more and syncing the delay seems like a good place to start. I don't think tapin~ and tapout~ sync to the time domain symbols max uses but I could probably do some kind of translations from the time domain to milliseconds.

Wow, can't believe I missed that patching error, thanks for the heads up! If you make any cool mods to the patch I'd love to seem 'em

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Here you go, have an LFO that is synced to the timing of your live session. And I even preserved your modulation mechanism as I think it's cool and switching between the two has some fun features.

I also added a fine delay adjustment. The two values are added together which adds some fun controls to it as well.

Updated patch here

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

RivensBitch posted:

Here you go, have an LFO that is synced to the timing of your live session. And I even preserved your modulation mechanism as I think it's cool and switching between the two has some fun features.

I also added a fine delay adjustment. The two values are added together which adds some fun controls to it as well.

Updated patch here

Very very nice! You did it much more elegantly than what I would have hacked together.

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

I just started getting into music production as a hobby with ableton. It seems like ableton comes with a lot of great synthesized sounds and effects, but I'm wondering if there are any plug-ins or other downloadable things that are generally considered "essential"?

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
There are some great plugins out there, but to be honest, I'd recommend sticking with the built-in Ableton ones for now. They're fine, and if you know what you're doing you can make them sound great. Be wary of the "if I only had one more plugin/piece of gear" trap. If you're just starting out, your best bet would be to check out some Tom Cosm videos and get a feel for how to construct songs and do some basic synthesis.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

agscala posted:

I just started getting into music production as a hobby with ableton. It seems like ableton comes with a lot of great synthesized sounds and effects, but I'm wondering if there are any plug-ins or other downloadable things that are generally considered "essential"?
Which version of Live do you have? The Intro and Standard editions include some samples and loops and varying types of sampler instruments, but no actual synth plugins. Suite includes enough additional stuff that you can do just about anything, though.

When I want to design my own synth sounds, my own go-to plugins are Native Instruments Massive and Waves Element. When I want cool pre-made sounds I use NI Kontakt (and lots of native and 3rd party libraries) or reFX Nexus.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I recorded some songs with my friend in Ableton Live, and yesterday I went to edit the tracks but when I opened them all the vocals sounded pitchshifted! Across all my different files!

The *really* loving *weird* thing, to me at least, is that if I change the audio input in Ableton Live it will pitch shift the vocal samples further.

Yeah, that's right. If I tell Ableton Live to use Traktor Audio 6 instead of Saffire Focusrite 4i2 *for input, NOT output*, it changes the pitch and playback speed of my poo poo in Ableton.

What the gently caress am I doing wrong here? This doesn't make a lick of sense to me :(

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Check how/if they are warped.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

magiccarpet posted:

Check how/if they are warped.

They have the "warp" enabled on the tracks, but clicking/unclicking it doesn't seem to change the playback speed.

The weird thing is if I go into the project's "Recorded Samples" directory and play the AIFF files they sound fine.

My process for recording was:

Enable record mode on track with input set to microphone
Go to arrangement mode
Click record button

That results in an audio clip with warp enabled. I'm able to do it right now and the clips sound fine and at the right pitch, but I'm really nervous that Ableton Live is going to decide to pitchshift these on me for some reason I don't understand :(

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So you have 2 soundcards? Are their sample rates set differently?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Oldstench posted:

Are their sample rates set differently?

Bingo

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Oldstench posted:

So you have 2 soundcards? Are their sample rates set differently?

Yeah, I have two soundcards. One is for Traktor and the other for the rest of my devices. I'm not sure what sample rate does exactly. I mean, obviously it sets the rate at which audio is sampled(duh). But how would changing the input device I have selected change the playback of already recorded audio?

And what's the fix here, to get the audio back to the way it sounded when we were monitoring and recording it?

I actually use three sound cards in my OS. I use a Mac so I set up an aggregate sound device containing both my audio interfaces. I use that aggregate device sometimes, but other times inputs from one or both soundcards will cease to work in my DAW for some reason and I have to change the input device to one of the actual hardware soundcards.

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 14, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

ashgromnies posted:

Yeah, I have two soundcards. One is for Traktor and the other for the rest of my devices. I'm not sure what sample rate does exactly. I mean, obviously it sets the rate at which audio is sampled(duh). But how would changing the input device I have selected change the playback of already recorded audio?

And what's the fix here, to get the audio back to the way it sounded when we were monitoring and recording it?

I actually use three sound cards in my OS. I use a Mac so I set up an aggregate sound device containing both my audio interfaces. I use that aggregate device sometimes, but other times inputs from one or both soundcards will cease to work in my DAW for some reason and I have to change the input device to one of the actual hardware soundcards.
If you record audio at sample rate X but play it back at sample rate Y, you will hear a pitch difference because your computer will be playing the same amount of data at a different speed, altering the frequencies of the recorded content. (That's how simple samplers play back sounds at different pitches; just speed 'em up or slow 'em down.) Although the technology is quite different, it's the same principle as playing a record or tape back at a different speed from which they were recorded.

The simplest fix is to make sure that your interface and DAW are set to the same sample rate as when the audio was recorded. 44.1hKz is usually the default, and 48kHz is quite common. Most likely it will be one of those two.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Ok, so that means I probably have a bunch of mixed sample rate recordings and should correct them all with Audacity.

How do you edit sample files in a Live project from an external program? Can you open them from the directory on disk directly and save them? Does Live need to be closed?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

ashgromnies posted:

Ok, so that means I probably have a bunch of mixed sample rate recordings and should correct them all with Audacity.

How do you edit sample files in a Live project from an external program? Can you open them from the directory on disk directly and save them? Does Live need to be closed?
Well, again, it's probably easier to just switch your interface's sample rate unless yours is fixed at 44.1 or something, but upsampling/downsampling will work too.

I don't have Live right here, however there is a setting in Preferences where you can specify an external sample editor. Then, when you edit a sample, Live will actually temporarily unload the audio file from the project and then launch your selected editor, passing the path of the audio file to edit; when you're finished with your edits in the external program, just save the file and close the application, and Live will re-load the file.

This works just fine with Audacity. With WaveLab I had to write a batch file that launched the WaveLab process and blocked until you were done editing, because WaveLab does something weird during startup that makes Live think you're finished editing early and ends up locking the audio file when you're trying to save it in WaveLab. (I specified the batch file as my editing tool in that case... or did I write a WaveLab launcher? I don't rememember, but Audacity's a cinch.)

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Radiapathy posted:

Well, again, it's probably easier to just switch your interface's sample rate unless yours is fixed at 44.1 or something, but upsampling/downsampling will work too.

I think I'm really doing something wrong here and I'm worried I'm losing my work as a result :/

I recorded something last night on my interface.

Right now I'm on my laptop with Live open just using my internal sound card to listen to what I recorded and it sounds high pitched again! I took the original MIDI tracks I was working with, ran them through patches and sure enough all the samples in the song are pitch shifted weirdly again even though it sounded great when I saved it last night.

My sample is set to 48 KHz, Ableton's Preferences are set to 48 KHz, and my audio device is set to 48 KHz: http://imgur.com/a/RQI0l

edit: yea if I transpose my samples down a whole step they sound about in tune :(

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 14, 2014

breaks
May 12, 2001

Depending on your definition of "about in tune", there is probably something going on with recording at 44100 and playing back at 48000 then, because that will raise the pitch by very roughly a whole tone (more like 3 quarter tones I guess).

I'd totally disable everything except one audio interface temporarily and see if the problem goes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

breaks posted:

Depending on your definition of "about in tune", there is probably something going on with recording at 44100 and playing back at 48000 then, because that will raise the pitch by very roughly a whole tone (more like 3 quarter tones I guess).

I'd totally disable everything except one audio interface temporarily and see if the problem goes away.

I only have my headphones directly plugged in to my laptop right now, nothing else.

edit: discovered I can edit the sampling rate in the AIFF file headers quickly, adjusting to 44100 seems to fix the pitch issue on affected files

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 14, 2014