Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kenning posted:

It was fuckin' nuts tonight. I sold $2400, loving killed it.

Working in a restaurant is like being in an abusive relationship. Every time it's lovely I'm like "gently caress this, I'm sick of all this bullshit" but then when you have a good night it's like, "Hey, this is pretty cool." But the bullshit never goes away. Alas.

Goons With Spoons > The Highs Are Very High, The Lows Are Very Frequent: The Restaurant Industry Thread

Shamelessly stolen from the MMO HMO. Meanwhile, I wait for corporate to figure out that my store is not Muncie, Akron, or whatever other college town, and that we're stuck in the middle of what is basically urban sprawl structures. The foot traffic the other stores depend on for their Valentines Day and Finals Week horror stories doesn't happen here. Every time we get a new manager, they're told the same tales of $15,000 weeks of baked terror, and every time end ends up being just another day, despite the fact that we shot our labor budget into the sun.

This is starting to coalesce into a theory that the larger a chain gets, the more out of touch corporate gets and should probably just stay out of the affairs of the stores except for promotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Word.

We have an Apple corporate party next weekend. 2100 people, they've rented out the entire hotel, it's going to be a minimum 100k in F&B revenue, probably double that.

We aren't getting any temp cooks, still shorthanded by 2 cooks, and it'll be cake. My kitchen is a goddamn beast. :woop:

Jesus loving Christ. Godspeed. I really hope you aren't killing yourself for lovely wages.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I have a feeling the apprentice I work with is going to get a very rude awakening when I shoot through to a new job in a couple of months. Despite the fact she's been cooking now for a year she can't seem to get on top of the prep work at any point in time. Every weekend ends up with me doing almost the same prep jobs every single time and it's making GBS threads me to tears. I don't think it's that she isn't getting it it's more of a case of her being incredibly lazy and not actually thinking about the order that prep jobs get done in

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Have you spoken to her about it?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
There's no real point seeing as she believes she's the greatest thing since sliced bread and doesn't listen to anything I have to say. She had some time off a couple of weeks ago because she had fluid in her elbow and the amount of dead food floating around her section was worrying. She hasn't even bothered to buy her own knives which is a slack effort in my books

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well she will learn the hard way, it's always a good idea to communicate though it's up to her whether she wants to listen or not, at least you've done your job.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You can't really teach someone that they're doing something wrong by covering all their mistakes. Because then they're not, really, as nothing's going wrong.

If you really want her to learn, you have to let her get in the poo poo because right now, why should she change her behavior? How can she understand that what she's doing is bad when everything's fine?

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

No Wave posted:

If you really want her to learn, you have to let her get in the poo poo because right now, why should she change her behavior? How can she understand that what she's doing is bad when everything's fine?

The problem with that is, at what point does it go past being 'her problem' (Not that I disagree, because she should pick up the slack, definitely) and become something that, if ignored/not fixed by others, will affect the service?

I totally agree though, that she does need to learn, in a hard way.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sir Spaniard posted:

The problem with that is, at what point does it go past being 'her problem' (Not that I disagree, because she should pick up the slack, definitely) and become something that, if ignored/not fixed by others, will affect the service?

I totally agree though, that she does need to learn, in a hard way.
That's the thing - if she never negatively impacts the service, her bad behavior isn't actually harmful, so by what metric is it bad? It's apparently inconvenient for others in the kitchen, but from her perspective the cost of her actions is zero. Even if everyone yells at her, if nothing actually goes wrong, she can easily interpret that as everyone just being an rear end in a top hat because what's the problem, anyways?

You guys aren't paid enough to really make this your problem, and the easiest thing to do with someone who doesn't "get" it is just to let them go - I mean, that's one way to learn that what you're doing isn't working without having to gently caress up any services.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

they've rented out the entire hotel

So how can I get you a bottle of booze on Saturday? Sort of a I love your posts and sorry I was part of the locust swarm gift?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Gegil posted:

So how can I get you a bottle of booze on Saturday? Sort of a I love your posts and sorry I was part of the locust swarm gift?

Are you going to be at that party? Because that's pretty cool, and I'm honestly excited to cook for 2000 with a small team.

e: This past weekend was much worse, total of 950 on Saturday, 5 different menus, all parties went out at 7PM. And the Apple party of 320 was being bottlenecked by their people taking forever to hand out drink tickets and nametags. So most people weren't actually hitting the pasta bar and carving stations until 8 to 8:30. Everything was supposed to get pulled at 9 so we could send out the late night snacks at 10, but it was more of a quick flip at 9:30.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 16, 2013

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Are you going to be at that party? Because that's pretty cool, and I'm honestly excited to cook for 2000 with a small team.

Yes, I'll be there & staying the night at the hotel. I have been looking forward to your Sunday Brunch for a while now, and finally have an excuse to sleep in and wander downstairs to eat it =)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Gegil posted:

Yes, I'll be there & staying the night at the hotel. I have been looking forward to your Sunday Brunch for a while now, and finally have an excuse to sleep in and wander downstairs to eat it =)

Bad news for you, we're currently renovating the restaurant. No brunch until after Christmas :(

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Bad news for you, we're currently renovating the restaurant. No brunch until after Christmas :(

:stonk: Well, at least I didn't find out day of. Anywhere else downtown you care to recommend?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Gegil posted:

:stonk: Well, at least I didn't find out day of. Anywhere else downtown you care to recommend?

You can still get breakfast/lunch in the bar. Just won't have the buffet open. Other than that, your best options are the other hotels. Not many places open for breakfast downtown.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
It's "facebook official," I accepted the gig doing wine analysis in Queens! Now for the "joy" of finding a place to live.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.

e: This past weekend was much worse, total of 950 on Saturday, 5 different menus, all parties went out at 7PM. And the Apple party of 320 was being bottlenecked by their people taking forever to hand out drink tickets and nametags. So most people weren't actually hitting the pasta bar and carving stations until 8 to 8:30. Everything was supposed to get pulled at 9 so we could send out the late night snacks at 10, but it was more of a quick flip at 9:30.

I'm honestly considering going back to work in a larger hotel. I went from a 1400 room hotel to a 420 room hotel and these days I'm just bored out of my mind. Half the time I have no hours cause of seniority and the other half I'm working with some incredibly lazy people.

Turkeybone posted:

It's "facebook official," I accepted the gig doing wine analysis in Queens! Now for the "joy" of finding a place to live.

Congrats!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Turkeybone posted:

Hop in the LAN thread for advice on where to live. PM me and we'll get drinks. Congrats, or something.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Leaving New York in another two weeks. Leaving the Industry for (god, I hope and pray) for good once that happens. Seriously. gently caress restaurants.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

dino. posted:

Leaving New York in another two weeks. Leaving the Industry for (god, I hope and pray) for good once that happens. Seriously. gently caress restaurants.

Good luck, dino!

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

No Wave posted:

That's the thing - if she never negatively impacts the service, her bad behavior isn't actually harmful, so by what metric is it bad? It's apparently inconvenient for others in the kitchen, but from her perspective the cost of her actions is zero. Even if everyone yells at her, if nothing actually goes wrong, she can easily interpret that as everyone just being an rear end in a top hat because what's the problem, anyways?

You guys aren't paid enough to really make this your problem, and the easiest thing to do with someone who doesn't "get" it is just to let them go - I mean, that's one way to learn that what you're doing isn't working without having to gently caress up any services.

Yeah, it's a fine line. In where I'm at, she'd probably get her rear end reamed for not being set up, and shunted out of the section for the service, taken over by Head Chef/anyone spare, and told to do prep that's needed, and then properly talked to later. I know when I was an eager, young, newbie, being booted off a section was devastating.

ETA: Which, I'm saying, maybe she needs to realise her screwup/to learn what's wrong in her mindset.

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 17, 2013

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Complete thread lurker checking in. Probably 10 or 15 pages ago, Wrought mentioned that she always goes to Beaver's in Houston when she's here, so the wife and I checked it out tonight.

loving amazing. Thanks!

Awesome cocktails. We got two dishes, one of which we'll be grabbing again next time: The Duck Reubang (a play on a reuben with duck prosciutto, swiss, russian dressing, slaw, on a pretzel bun) and quail and chicken dumpling soup. The soup was good, but we both kept going back for the reuben.

My wife also loved a pumpkin patch cocktail drink with some pumpkin jam mixed into some weird poo poo.

Thanks again!

slimskinny
Apr 2, 2005

One cool taco...
Tips on specializing in butchering? A guy I'm working with is getting a pet project handed down from our chef. It should involve some butchery and charcuterie. How is specializing going to help my salary as a hire able employee, or the ultimate goal of being chef-owner of my own spot?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

nwin posted:

Complete thread lurker checking in. Probably 10 or 15 pages ago, Wrought mentioned that she always goes to Beaver's in Houston when she's here, so the wife and I checked it out tonight.

loving amazing. Thanks!

Awesome cocktails. We got two dishes, one of which we'll be grabbing again next time: The Duck Reubang (a play on a reuben with duck prosciutto, swiss, russian dressing, slaw, on a pretzel bun) and quail and chicken dumpling soup. The soup was good, but we both kept going back for the reuben.

My wife also loved a pumpkin patch cocktail drink with some pumpkin jam mixed into some weird poo poo.

Thanks again!

Ha, funny enough (and I mentioned this previously), I helped open that place when I was still in the industry. Been a long time since I've been there, though, even as a customer - that may be my lunch today.

Cercies
Dec 3, 2010

Living the dream
Last night I got word from my GM that the chef and her husband are expecting an invite to the holiday party I am hosting next week. I really don't want to invite her, because none of the staff particularly enjoys her company and it was a chance for us all to get drunk and bag on work for a moment. Normally I would just send an email explaining that this is for the hourly crew at a dive bar, but she has a bad reputation of taking it out on people who don't invite her to things. Also, she just gave me a raise and complimented my work (which is another rarity) and I don't want to jeopardize me being in her good graces for once.

Any advice on how to invite the boss but not actually invite her?

Edit: Crisis averted, I sent an email inviting her, and she declined!

Cercies fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 19, 2013

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Cercies posted:

Last night I got word from my GM that the chef and her husband are expecting an invite to the holiday party I am hosting next week. I really don't want to invite her, because none of the staff particularly enjoys her company and it was a chance for us all to get drunk and bag on work for a moment. Normally I would just send an email explaining that this is for the hourly crew at a dive bar, but she has a bad reputation of taking it out on people who don't invite her to things. Also, she just gave me a raise and complimented my work (which is another rarity) and I don't want to jeopardize me being in her good graces for once.

"Pimp or ho attire required."

"I will be reading from my epic poem, Dish Bitch Rising."

"Paint your own pottery"

"Enjoy food, wine and a new opportunity to invest money in your future!"

"In keeping with my new religious views, there will be no alcohol, caffeine, sugar, meat, dairy or grains served. Please do not bring your own."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
"Join us for a night of reading Beowulf in the original Scandinavian language"

"Clothing optional"

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Invite her two hours early then when she texts to say no ones there, tell her you're all still finishing up at work.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cercies posted:

Invite her, but schedule her arrival time two hours after the party actually starts.

1) You and your crew will be able to poo poo-talk her for two hours
2) Chef doesn't feel spurned and take it out on you or anyone else
3) By the time she gets there people will be feeling pretty good and either enjoy/tolerate her company or say something completely inappropriate and cause a scene. Both of these options are acceptable

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

slimskinny posted:

Tips on specializing in butchering? A guy I'm working with is getting a pet project handed down from our chef. It should involve some butchery and charcuterie. How is specializing going to help my salary as a hire able employee, or the ultimate goal of being chef-owner of my own spot?

Having more knowledge and a broader skillset can never hurt you. It's a talking point on a resume and can give you a shot at certain opportunities that would otherwise be closed to you. If you're looking to open your own place some day, it might be useful to know how to make your own prosciutto or smoked salami or whateverthefuck. Unless there's some downside, I don't know why you wouldn't want to learn something specialized, especially butchery and charcuterie with the way current trends are going. I mean, I'm probably never going to work in a sushi place again, but the couple weeks I staged at one taught me how to clean fish like a loving pro and that's something I can take with me wherever I go for the rest of my life (plus being able to bust out some dragon rolls at home at 4am while I'm shitfaced hammered always impresses the ladies - it's seriously got me laid at least a couple times).

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Cercies posted:

She's an idiot. The entire purpose of a holiday staff party is for the staff to be able to bitch without management there (and yes, the chef is management in this respect).

Now, if you knew she'd show up, smile and make nice for an hour, then gently caress off, then cool.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Ugh. Living with someone in NY would save me like $500-600 a month. The downside, of course, is:

"* No allowed to cook- yuo need to help keeping de pleace clean
* You can use the toaster, microwave and wash dishes
* Please no smoking, no alcohol, no drugs, no pets
* Pay rent on time is very important
* One mount rent + one mouth deposit to move in "

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Turkeybone posted:

Ugh. Living with someone in NY would save me like $500-600 a month. The downside, of course, is:

Room with a cook, obviously.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Turkeybone posted:

"* No allowed to cook
* Please no alcohol"
Not worth it man.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah well my great friend just got a roomie, otherwise that would literally be 1000% perfect. Ah well.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Turkeybone posted:

So it's like prison you pay for basically

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Turkeybone posted:

THANK YOU, YOUR'RE MAJESTY

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
* Spend no mroe than 4 consecutive hrs at a time in apt and no more than 12 in a 24 hr period
* Please remain feet keep off the floor
* Do not acknowledge Terry

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
Go to Nooklyn on Manhattan Ave and Driggs. They will find you a sketchy Bushwick roomshare in a loft with a bunch of industry people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Turkeybone posted:

What about drinking alone. In my room. With the door locked and the lights off. Because that's pretty much the only way I drink if it's not out with friends. Surely they'd accept that.

I'm ok with the idea of no pets though. After 20 years of never ever being in a house that doesn't have at least one cat, I'm starting to seriously consider researching controversial and hated restaurants that have tabby on the menu.

• Locked thread