Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

toanoradian posted:

Question. The last Gundam show I remember watching is Seed (I've skimmed 00 on my brother's PC) and I have no knowledge on Gunpla beyond that they are figurines based on the Gundam franchise. Would I get lost watching this show?

I watch this with my friend who hasn't seen any Gundam and he enjoys it a lot. Though he is a big fan of Shounen anime in general.

Edit for the new page:

aers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cVf3hYuHCM

Episode 11, featuring roughly 30 robots.

The bit right at the end of the episode, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy poo poo Fellini getting zerg-rushed by an army of angry ex-boyfriends.

Aila and Reiji continue to be great fun together.

Finally, EPIC DRINK SPILLAGE.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 16, 2013

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I am so happy, they keep adding things from 8th MS team! One of the mechs nailed during the first fight was Karen's Ground Type Gundam with the GM head.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ElBrak posted:

I am so happy, they keep adding things from 8th MS team! One of the mechs nailed during the first fight was Karen's Ground Type Gundam with the GM head.

All of the minor suits are fun. I especially enjoyed how they fitted in the freaky Zanscare eye-opening thing and how one of the guys piloting the Frost Brothers' suits managed to get out a "NII-SAN!" before being fried.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Looks like Plavsky technology is from whatever world Reiji and the CEO of PPSE are from?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just love how this episode stretches what's legal in Gunpla Battling.

The one thing I'm pleasantly surprised at is the treatment of the Meijin thing. Yuuki is aware that he's playing a persona and how ridiculous it is.

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012
It totally blows my mind that someone would use an aries

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

DookieSandwich posted:

It totally blows my mind that someone would use an aries

Someone got to the Gunpla Battles Finale in a freaking Zaku Tank, I think that's a little more surprising then the Mobile Suit made of explosions.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 16, 2013

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The end:
Is that somebody cheating with a PG or 1/60 model? :D

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Looks to be way bigger than 1/60 in comparison to the HG 1/144, I really hope it's one of those gigantic 1/12 display pieces that's as big as a real person.

LeviathanGunship
Dec 6, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand where this leaves us.

The finale:

We'll find out that PPSE has been seeding Particle dispersers all around Japan in order to make it a giant arena. The final boss will be the 1/1 RX-78 statue piloted by Sei's father who went missing under mysterious circumstances.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Only if the Sichuan Gundam gets some of that Plavsky loving, too

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I haven't watched a Gundam show since Gundam Wing and decided to give this show a shot.

And now I'm waiting on 2 Strike Full Package models (one to build, one to just have CIB) and interested in getting more. Maybe this question is better suited for the more general gundam/gunpla thread but since I'm really only interested in the ones appearing in this show, what's the best resource for finding out what ones are being released and when besides just haunting online retailers?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Blackchamber posted:

I haven't watched a Gundam show since Gundam Wing and decided to give this show a shot.

And now I'm waiting on 2 Strike Full Package models (one to build, one to just have CIB) and interested in getting more. Maybe this question is better suited for the more general gundam/gunpla thread but since I'm really only interested in the ones appearing in this show, what's the best resource for finding out what ones are being released and when besides just haunting online retailers?

http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/ - this is my go-to site for Gundam/Gunpla news. Also, come to the Gunpla thread - the more the merrier.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Zedd posted:

The end:
Is that somebody cheating with a PG or 1/60 model? :D

It's a 1/48 Mega Size.

I was worried this morning when I woke up and didn't see episode 11 on the gundam info playlist, thanks for linking the new episode aers.

Also ahahahaha this episode, so loving amazing. Just god drat. I'm really happy the Star Build Strike can't just stomp over everything, and I can't wait to see what it does with its one remaining discharge.

EDIT: Straight from /m/, some comments from one of Sunrise's producers, Ogawa:

quote:

>It's a little bit difficult for a new fan to enter into such a large story. In that sense, Reiji who knows nothing about Gundam has significant presence as the balancer.
>The animation team is struggling harder to animate moving Sengoku Astray.
>First episode's Gyan was Yosuke Kuroda's choice.
>The Gouf of third episode was also Yosuke Kuroda's choice.
>Episode 4's Gerbera Tetra is also a scriptwriter's choice.
>God Gundam and Shining Gundam from the opening scene in episode 5 was animator Ken Otsuka's debut scene in G Gundam.
>Gyan Gya Gyan in episode 6 was an order from Bandai.
>The villain in episode 7 was written to use Azzam at first, but it was plain so it became Apsalus III.

Sazaki's apparently incredibly popular with Bandai.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 16, 2013

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Was that a F-91 Harrison Martin Custom? :allears:

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
holy poo poo. this show.

every single week, argh I can't wait for the next episode.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: Straight from /m/, some comments from one of Sunrise's producers, Ogawa:

Cool stuff.

KenO is actually reprising his storyboard/mecha AD role from episode 5 for next week's episode 12.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
THE RING IS THE EARTH!

Also, this show continues to top itself every week.

Caros
May 14, 2008

This show. :black101:

I don't even have all that much to say about this episode other than that it cements Build Fighters as not merely a good Gundam show, but a good show in general. Incredible action, great comedy and even some drama, a tender moment and some plot development all without feeling too rushed or to slow.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

It's a 1/48 Mega Size.

I don't think so, it's much too big. Like I said earlier, I think it's a 1/12(!)

Caros posted:

I don't even have all that much to say about this episode other than that it cements Build Fighters as not merely a good Gundam show, but a good show in general. Incredible action, great comedy and even some drama, a tender moment and some plot development all without feeling too rushed or to slow.

The animation and action directing is top-notch and the music is also great. I'm having so much fun watching this show.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

When they were talking about the ground shaking, and there was some monster of a suit approaching, I was expecting to see a Psycho Gundam. What we got instead is going to be so much better. :allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

After seeing this week's cliffhanger and the Gaw appearing, I am all ready for crazy stuff like someone using the Ra Calium or, to go even crazier, a model of Gigantis to appear.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I love how this show makes fun of all those e "serious" gundam cliches with stuff like the " masked guy's slow dramatic unmasking" with Yuuki looking exactly the same and everyone wondering what the hell he's doing and the " I devoted all my energy to beating you!" because fellini stole all those guys girlfriends.

And by god bandai, you better gives us an mg of fellini's wing gundam, with the core booster.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Sir, it's a GIANT ZAKU!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Dynames, complete with 00 eye-flash! :swoon: (seriously, that sound gives me chills)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Demicol posted:

Looks like Plavsky technology is from whatever world Reiji and the CEO of PPSE are from?

Looks like, and also pretty much confirms that Reiji might have been telling the truth in the first episode when he said he was a prince, to say the guy instantly recognized him. He's pretty famous at the very least.

ElBrak posted:

Someone got to the Gunpla Battles Finale in a freaking Zaku Tank, I think that's a little more surprising then the Mobile Suit made of explosions.

I think the fact the GAW had such a large role in the episode and was able to withstand a good deal of punishment is more surprising still to be honest.

LeviathanGunship posted:

The finale:

We'll find out that PPSE has been seeding Particle dispersers all around Japan in order to make it a giant arena. The final boss will be the 1/1 RX-78 statue piloted by Sei's father who went missing under mysterious circumstances.

I was actually kind of wondering part way through this episode if we'll see him soon actually, given that he's more than likely a wandering gunpla player or celebrity or something.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm really waiting for Sei's dad to show up. You would think he would call or something to wish his son good luck. Before Yuki became the masked man I hoped that the role would be taken my Sei's dad but still be super obvious.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It was neat to see some fights that weren't just 5-10 second curbstomps

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

RentACop posted:

It was neat to see some fights that weren't just 5-10 second curbstomps

Yeah. One thing that really impressed me with this episode was that even the no-name pilots seemed... you know... good. Like you would expect at a World Tournament. It actually helps drive home why our heroes are worth watching - they're not taking down chumps, they're getting the best of legitimately skilled fighters.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Except for all the Aila scenes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I love that the Thai(?) guy realized early on that it was stupid to get into a knockdown dragout fight early on in a battle royale, even if he seemed to be winning.

It's like, I rarely am impressed by something in a shonen show as being genuinely smart.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I really hope Aila face a main character soon because this episode is about the last time they can pull a sudden victory before it just gets annoying.

Also yeah, that dude in the Epyon was crazy good. Wing had a pretty good showing this episode, the Heavyarms was smart enough to not get murdered too.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

So any clue what her MS's ability is? I do not think I have seen anything like it in any of the gundam series I have watched.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Weissritter posted:

So any clue what her MS's ability is? I do not think I have seen anything like it in any of the gundam series I have watched.

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a swarm of tiny funnels, the Qubeley design taken to its logical conclusion.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

muike posted:

Except for all the Aila scenes.

Well, the one in this episode had a no-name mook put on a cool pyrotechnic display, realise he was in way over his head, try to run, and get away with it, so it wasn't a total wash.

Good news is that Aila's suit seems to have more toys at its disposal than its bit-swarm of murderous doom, so once someone figures out a way past that gimmick (and people do seem to be learning about that, as with Heavyarms dude), we should get a fun fight out of her.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Needs More Jazz posted:

Yeah. One thing that really impressed me with this episode was that even the no-name pilots seemed... you know... good. Like you would expect at a World Tournament. It actually helps drive home why our heroes are worth watching - they're not taking down chumps, they're getting the best of legitimately skilled fighters.

Exactly, sure there were a lot of cannon-fodder grunts but a couple of the nameless pilots hung in there which is a lot more fun to watch. Contrast episode 8 where two dudes we've never seen before that we're informed are really good are stomped effortlessly and it was boring as hell. What I'm saying is they need more parity booking

paragon1 posted:

It's like, I rarely am impressed by something in a shonen show as being genuinely smart.

Yeah, usually "smart" in one of these shows is "He saw through the obvious weakness in my move almost instantly" (which admittedly they did immediately beforehand) not this, or Nils deciding to camp all match.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Weissritter posted:

I'm pretty sure she has funnels made of clear plastic. Or something like that.

RentACop posted:

Contrast episode 8 where two dudes we've never seen before that we're informed are really good are stomped effortlessly and it was boring as hell.

Carlos and Gawain pretty much existed to hype up Aila, we didn't even get to see Carlos' match. Dunno how you found the Jegan vs Devil Gundam battle boring though, that was hilarious. Especially with the G Gundam head destruction finish. :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Aila's bits do rather resemble the little glowing energy ball design from AGE. Alternatively, we're all completely wrong and she's packing a Moonlight Butterfly variant. Qubeley Papillon, remember?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm somewhat curious that she might be detonating plavsky particles, but I do consider funnels much more likely.

• Locked thread